Gay Men Launch Online Attack On Thai Red Cross Over Ban On Gay Blood Donors

webfact

Gay men launch online attack on Thai Red Cross over ban on gay blood donors
By Praj Kiatpongsan

Screen-Shot-2556-02-28-at-11.46.58-AM-57
“What does that even mean?” furious gay men attack Thai Red Cross over ban on gay blood donors.

BANGKOK: -- In a YouTube clip posted yesterday, three gay men berated the Thai Red Cross over the humanitarian organization’s refusal to accept blood from homosexual donors, claiming that this policy was discriminatory.

The two-and-a-half minute video has gone viral, netting more than 12,000 views in one day. It has also sparked widespread debate among Thai netizens.

The man on the left in the clip explained his experience when he traveled to the National Blood Center to donate plasma:

“A man, who I am not sure if he is even a doctor, said to me that in your case, the Thai Red Cross doesn’t have a policy to receive the blood.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=aeBNNA_jyeY

He said that he got this reaction after checking “homosexual” on the Red Cross’s check-in sheet.

“What does that even mean?” the man in the middle asked. “Just because I am a homosexual, does that mean that I am HIV-positive? I’ll submit a lawsuit to the Administrative Court for discrimination.” [more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/news/gay-men-launch-online-attack-on-thai-red-cross-over-ban-on-gay-blood-donors/

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-02-28

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they screen out sexually active young gay men, do they also screen out all prostitutes? all Pattaya residents (a substantial proportion must be the clients of prostitutes)? all tourists, especially young ones? All farangs married to younger Thai girls (the inference being that a proportion of these were prostitutes)?

Of course they can't ask if the donor or spouse is promiscuous!

There was a time when screening out gays was sensible (late 80s and early 90s), but now, since ALL donations should routinely be tested for HIV, this is no longer so.

Basically I agree with Jingthing, but I have a great sympathy with the protesters.

I'm pretty sure they try to screen out prostitutes. On the other hand they should be recruiting lesbians, and I doubt that they are.

In any case, in the earlier years of the Aids pandemic many people were getting infected by transfusions. Now at least in countries with careful policies, the risk is very low.

Viruses and Infectious Diseases

Some infectious agents, such as HIV, can survive in blood and infect the person receiving the blood transfusion. To keep blood safe, blood banks carefully screen donated blood.

The risk of catching a virus from a blood transfusion is low.

HIV. All donated blood is tested for HIV. Also, other measures are used to screen possible donors. For example, donors are questioned about whether they have any signs and symptoms of HIV or HIV risk factors. Only about 1 in 2 million donations might carry HIV and transmit HIV if given to a patient.

Hepatitis B and C. The risk of having a donation that carries hepatitis B is about 1 in 200,000 to 1 in 360,000. The risk of hepatitis C is 1 in 1 million to 1 in 2 million. If you receive blood during a transfusion that contains hepatitis, you'll likely develop the virus.

Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD). This disease is the human version of mad cow disease. It's a very rare, yet fatal brain disorder. There is a possible risk of getting vCJD from a blood transfusion, although the risk is very low. Because of this, people who may have been exposed to vCJD aren't eligible blood donors.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/bt/risks.html Edited by Jingthing

Many countries don't allow male homosexuals to donate.

Well that makes discrimination OK, doesn't it? Actually, your information is outdated. Many countries are reviewing this insidious discriminatory slander.

The guy in the middle is angry, not because he is desperate to save somebody's life but because he is facing INSTITUTIONALISED homophobia and homeohatred whilst most of the hatred he faces every day hides behind a hypocritical smile.

• Like 1

I think the Thai red cross should at least explain the scientific rationale behind their policies. I suspect they have good rationale. I think these Thai twinks have this a little confused. The red cross isn't saying they definitely have HIV, they are saying based on their sexuality, they are a higher risk of having HIV. Not personally THEM. I really don't think this is about hatred of Thai gays or hatred of Thai sex workers. It's clearly about taking reasonable precautions to best protect the health of the public, which happens to include uninfected gay men and sex workers.

Also Thai gay activists have a lot of issues to fight about. They won't win them all. I'd suggest picking fights carefully and this blood fight is not such a wise choice of issues.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

When I was home in the U.S. they would not accept my blood because I had visited a malaria zone with the last six months. Maybe I should sue them as well?¿?

UK applies that rule too. Even if you only passed through by bus or train.

I have been donating blood here regularly and yes, the form does ask if you have had sex with another male or if you have had multiple partners. There are about 15 questions to tick yes or no. One of them in the men's form asks if you have been in prison in the last one year. Forms for men and women are slightly different.

FWIW when I gave blood in the UK. There was a box to tick if you went with prostitutes. Does the Thai form ask that question? If not that is equally crazy.

As I said in response to your previous post about gay men, not mosquitoes, many countries are considering lifting this ban. See the pages from BBC online

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14824310

Indeed there are more pressing problems for LBGT people in Thailand as the stories about arbitrary police rounding up of katoey in Pattaya illustrates, but this is part of a global sea change where countries as disparate as Mexico and China are reviewing their positions.

It is regrettable, in my view, that this video has now gone private as the young man who forcibly stated his annoyance at being discriminated against, is to be admired for his courage rather than ridiculed or even tutted at.

OFF COURSE IT IS BLOODY DISCRIMINATORY. It is a known and documented fact that Thai gays represent a high risk group with regards to HIV, HERPES and many other STD's.

They discriminated against themselves when they chose their alternative lifestyle.

• Like 2

Oooh bitchy.... But seriously, I think homosexuals will have a far greater risk of HIV, but if every donation is tested for positivity then why would there be an issue?

Well, you think wrong!!! You're stuck in the eighties.

Why not read a book and educate/update yourself.

But it give one big problem!!! Thailand still not have enough blood donations. The blood banks at most empty.

For myself I can say: "If I have the choice to die because they not have my bloodgroupe or to take blood from a homosexuelle person I choose the last!!!"

How much people now have HIV for more than 10- 15 years? A lot!!!

This is THAILAND. Every male has,gad cock.up him one day for a few baht.... Usually 1000.

So there is no need for a box. Just test the blood as they do.in every other country.

Would you accept non urgent blood here knowing who.gave it had sex (girl or boy) with their EXCLUSIVELY ONLY YOU farrang boyfriend???

Writeshack... Your information is about a,decade out of date. Asdays for HIV...TESTS...,show up immediately and,are now very accurate to.99.9999% and within 20 minutes. I know. I am a doctor.

Being gay using prostitutes whatever... All can be lied about. Testing all blood is,and,should ALWAYS occur.

Did you know sone drugs,affect blood results up to 10 years,after the last use. So.it goes,on....

• Like 1

There is no courage in wanting to infect others. I do applaud him for wanting to give blood, which into itself is a selfless act. All gays that I know have 10's of friends who are carriers. I know of no one personally who is heterosexual and has aids. Yes, of course it does occur, but with great rarity. If people would care more about society as a whole and less of themselves these silly discussions would never take place.

BTW homophobic must be one of the most misused words there is. A phobia is a fear of not a dislike or hatred.

Edited by jij

There is no courage in wanting to infect others. I do applaud him for wanting to give blood, which into itself is a selfless act. All gays that I know have 10's of friends who are carriers. I know of no one personally who is heterosexual and has aids. Yes, of course it does occur, but with great rarity. If people would care more about society as a whole and less of themselves these silly discussions would never take place.

BTW homophobic must be one of the most misused words there is. A phobia is a fear of not a dislike or hatred.

Oh please. The VAST majority of HIV infected people in the world are not homosexuals. Just look it up and you will easily find the truth about that. It is hardly a rarity.

MSM do have a high rate of infection but because they are a minority they still don't add up the majority of cases. Simple math.

Homophobia has a specific definition no matter what you might guess from the root word. People who think it only means fear just don't know the definition.

Definition of HOMOPHOBIA

: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals

Websters Dictionary

Those nice Thai boys don't want to infect people with their blood. It is fair to assume they consider themselves HIV negative. It is fair to assume if they knew themselves to be positive, they would know not to try to donate blood.

Edited by Jingthing

But we're discussing Thai gay men, not gays or HIV infected worldwide, since Africa may drastically skew the numbers and while I agree that those nice boys may not want to as they assume the are negative, is not an ounce if prevention Worth a pound if cure. Bottom line is that in this day and age I hardly think the Red Cross does not take their blood because they hate gays or are "homophobic", but that's just my opinion.

OFF COURSE IT IS BLOODY DISCRIMINATORY. It is a known and documented fact that Thai gays represent a high risk group with regards to HIV, HERPES and many other STD's.

They discriminated against themselves when they chose their alternative lifestyle.

Not sure whether you are referring to male or female prostitutes. But in any case, you appear to be way off-topic.

Donated blood is screened for STDs and HIV routinely, as it makes no different whether the donor is male or female.