Promenada Update

FrisoPee

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice...just coming back at the end of the month...good to have a new mall to walk thru & watch movies at and also finally finding a parking place at airport plaza easily ...hoo hoo !

Please more malls ..please !

Please NO MORE malls. Why do you want to see beautiful nature destroyed and ugly concrete buildings erected for your own selfish purposes? Save the planet. Order on-line.

nice...just coming back at the end of the month...good to have a new mall to walk thru & watch movies at and also finally finding a parking place at airport plaza easily ...hoo hoo !

Please NO MORE malls. Why do you want to see beautiful nature destroyed and ugly concrete buildings erected for your own selfish purposes? Save the planet. Order on-line.

They are there to make the farangs feel like they have never left home, like Holiday Inns. I'm with you.

• Like 1

The malls are doing up on wasteland sites close to the city. It's housing projects that are destroying the rice fields at an alarming rate. Hwy 1317 is being widened & more & more of these fugly estates are being built. Ban these & compel home buyers to look at the large stock of second hand homes!!!

As it happens I was bused down the 1317 yesterday and it was indeed quite remarkable.. Of course, this is only the paddy land immediately next to the road; you'd expect that, that's why roads are built anyway, to allow for growth and development. It's not like there's a shortage of rice paddies. It's just that the city is growing, as you'd expect for any vibrant city.

And of course Chiang Mai needed more malls, for a city this size.. Anyone who thinks that demand from foreigners has anything to do with it is delusional (don't think #96 above was actually serious of course). There will be a million Thais in the immediate region soon who need to buy stuff and hang out, and Airport Plaza, Big C and Kad Luang aren't cutting it anymore.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

So june 7 is now their soft opening. Only the cinema and uniq will be open. Some time in july the rest of building 1 will be open. Building 2 is scheduled for aug/sep.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Its just a thought; I don’t know but on large building projects that usually have some from of opening ceremony, dignatories or celebrities, entertainment acts, press etc all have to be booked in advance. So despite the proximity or otherwise of the building being complete it all revolves around when personnel are available for “cutting the ribbon”

Most of the time when they get to an opening stage everything is basically functional. They may not be at 100% but pretty close. So there may be some things not available, many shops not even fitted out.

The 7th June may well be a soft opening and the week or two after they use this time to sort out snags, problems with anything., or logistical things

This way by the time the official "grand" opening happens they have a few weeks of real experience and everything should go smoothly before opening to the public.

Do you thinks that’s the case…and the opening to the public will be a couple or 3 weeks after the 7th..

In my books D-Day as it was known was always the 6th June.

Its just a thought; I don’t know but on large building projects that usually have some from of opening ceremony, dignatories or celebrities, entertainment acts, press etc all have to be booked in advance. So despite the proximity or otherwise of the building being complete it all revolves around when personnel are available for “cutting the ribbon”

Most of the time when they get to an opening stage everything is basically functional. They may not be at 100% but pretty close. So there may be some things not available, many shops not even fitted out.

The 7th June may well be a soft opening and the week or two after they use this time to sort out snags, problems with anything., or logistical things

This way by the  time the official "grand" opening happens they have a few weeks of real experience and everything should go smoothly before opening to the public.

Do you thinks that’s the case…and the opening to the public will be a couple or 3 weeks after the 7th..

In my books D-Day as it was known was always the 6th June.

The reason they are only openng 2 businesses on june 7 is because construction is waaaaay behind schedule. However as recently as 1.5 months ago they were still aiming to have the whole mall open on june 7.

No idea what happened to cause the delay. The weather was great this year so they cant blame it on that.

Will there be some sort of shuttle service from the central city? What about all the tourists in the hotels and those of us who choose to live without risking our lives on a motorbike? How are these people (customers) suppose to get to this distant mall.

I almost cried when I saw that the European Film Festival was going to be at the new mall this year. I really enjoyed being able to pop into the KSK cinema at the last minute to see a film. I saw about 75% of the films every year, except for the year when they stupidly had it only at night in a mosquito-infested area near where River Market is now. Seemed like many tourists and residents of the Huey Kaew condos went to the European film festival at KSK. The seats were full for almost every showing, with people sitting in the aisles.

Will there be some sort of shuttle service from the central city? What about all the tourists in the hotels and those of us who choose to live without risking our lives on a motorbike? How are these people (customers) suppose to get to this distant mall.

Yeh they have 4 busses running from tourist areas.

Any schedule, list of pick-up points or map yet?

Any schedule, list of pick-up points or map yet?

Yeah but i can't remeber the exact points. I know night bizar was one. The rest were dotted around the city.

On june 7 they are going to have a new website go live with info.

Yes, it does look good. They're started on the landscaping and other outside structures.

attachicon.gif1.jpg attachicon.gif2.jpg attachicon.gif3.jpg

It looks a lot prettier than the new Central Festival in that they kept and used space for some walkways and landscaping.

floor_first_low.jpg

With Central Festival I get the feeling that every square inch needs to be a profit-generating area. (Though some interesting architecture looks to be happening there, too.)

Thanks Winnie for sharing the pics.

Actually I have a pet peeve about picture 1 on the left side. It appears to be a roadway right amongst the buildings and immediately front vicinity of the complex.

I always hope that planners / architects would keep roadways for supply vehicles / roads into and out of car parks away from the front walk in areas of such complexes.

Hopefully I'm wrong and what looks (to me) like a vehicle road is in fact a walking area.

Overall (IMHO) it's starting to look good. To be honest my family can't wait - but rightly or wrongly they are mostly focused on one shop - Rimping, and especially since the Promenada is less than 10 minutes drive from our house.

My Thai adult son is well aware of mega malls etc., from living / studying in Singapore and many visits to Shanghai etc, he enjoys western food and is no mean chef for many typical western dishes. His Thai wife, country girl, at first, found western food very blank, she found big supermarkets etc., intimidating, and she yearned for the local market and mom and pop shop, but she too has now totally embraced Rimping. She's doing a countdown, had to restart the countdown a few times, but ...

re

it does look good. They're started on the landscaping and other outside structures.

with all this talk about it i had a ride out there this morning and these pics show what i think is the front

from left to right ... but opening in three weeks ? : (

dave2

post-42592-0-22996900-1368711427_thumb.j

post-42592-0-42009900-1368711457_thumb.j

post-42592-0-81314600-1368711484_thumb.j

post-42592-0-99453000-1368711507_thumb.j

So june 7 is now their soft opening. Only the cinema and uniq will be open. Some time in july the rest of building 1 will be open. Building 2 is scheduled for aug/sep.

ONLY the cinema and Uniqlo will be opening on 7th June? That's not soft opening, that's desperation. To me a soft opening is an 90% operational building, not a barely finished one.

But still, why not just open the whole complex in aug/sep time. When I'm going shopping, I don't really want to go to a construction site (except minor renovation).

Oh I almost forgot, where are the people who visit the Film Festival going to:

1. eat?

2. bathroom breaks?

3. park?

4. spend time waiting for their choice of movie?

Is that all happening in the cinema area?

Edited by mic6ard

ONLY the cinema and Uniqlo will be opening on 7th June? That's not soft opening, that's desperation. To me a soft opening is an 90% operational building, not a barely finished one.

But still, why not just open the whole complex in aug/sep time. When I'm going shopping, I don't really want to go to a construction site (except minor renovation).

1. eat?

2. bathroom breaks?

3. park?

Yeah i agree. Its piss poor.

I guess people will have to eat pop corn. Bathrooms will be completed. Car park in building 1 is already done i think.

1. eat?

2. bathroom breaks?

3. park?

I guess people will have to eat pop corn. Bathrooms will be completed. Car park in building 1 is already done i think.

Umm correct me if I'm wrong but to me building one would be the one nearest the super highway (left building).

Then the cinema is in the building on the right!

1. eat?

2. bathroom breaks?

3. park?

Umm correct me if I'm wrong but to me building one would be the one nearest the super highway (left building).

Then the cinema is in the building on the right!

I assumed building 1 was the first building you pass when driving into promenada.The one with the cinema.

Promenada Mall will open on time - Chiang Mai the new Bangkok says CEO Courtney Winkleman May 23, 2013

Business

CityNews - As industry in Chiang Mai grows, so does spending, or so says Mr. Tjeert Kwant, president, CEO and shareholder of ECC International Real Estate.

1369316844.jpg

ECC is a Dutch retail developer that has created many successful shopping centers throughout Central Europe. The company has now extended its business to the Southeast Asia area including here in Chiang Mai. Promenada, a resort-style shopping mall, will be coming to Chiang Mai opening on 7 June. Kwant decided to build this new and upcoming mall in Chiang Mai instead of Bangkok. He believes that Bangkok already has grown to its fullest potential, whereas he sees a great future for Chiang Mai, with the opening of this new shopping center being a big step towards it.

Read more: http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=1846

Edited by metisdead
Edited per fair use policy.

I live at Hillside #4 on Huay Kaew Road. Does anyone know how I can get to Promenada Mall via songtaew (sp?)? I'm thinking I may need to take two - one red and one yellow but that's just a guess.

Thanks!

There is no scheduled public transport along the New Sankamphaeng Road that Promenada is on. Unless/until Promenada runs a service to a sensible point in town, you will have to get a red Sonthaew (or Tuk Tuk, or meter taxi) to go out there, for a negotiated fee.

I have a feeling that some songthaews and meter taxis will end up servicing the place, but not for 20 baht. Again, unless/unitl Promenada runs a service to somewhere like the night bazar area or other convenient point.

They probably will, actually. Especially now tourism is booming again, they will want to make it easy to get there. Same thing that Airport Plaza does, they run that bright green songthaew there.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

There is no scheduled public transport along the New Sankamphaeng Road that Promenada is on. Unless/until Promenada runs a service to a sensible point in town, you will have to get a red Sonthaew (or Tuk Tuk, or meter taxi) to go out there, for a negotiated fee.

I have a feeling that some songthaews and meter taxis will end up servicing the place, but not for 20 baht. Again, unless/unitl Promenada runs a service to somewhere like the night bazar area or other convenient point.

They probably will, actually. Especially now tourism is booming again, they will want to make it easy to get there. Same thing that Airport Plaza does, they run that bright green songthaew there.

It is my understanding that they will be running service vehicles. O don't know how many. The number 4 sticks in my mind. I know the airport has 2.

Or I could be wrong and it is going from 4 different points in Chiang Mai. I know the Night Bazaar will be one of the stops.

I was out today and noticed about 7 songthaew's 4 of them had a sign on the side saying what looked to be a clothing store would be open on June 7.

I just hope that they have provided for ample covered parking as that's why I haven't been to the other to 'square box malls' in town for at least a year or more.

The unfinished interior pics look great.....let's hope that the finish is.

They have loads of parking, though undoubtably, absolutely everyone and their grandmother will be going there when they open, so almost no matter how much parking they have, they'll run out.

Airport Plaza sounds like a good bet for the Promenada opening weekend. :)

• Like 1