Promenada Update

FrisoPee

looks nice ,but when has any building job finished on time

On another point I seem to recall concern about traffic getting into it and out of it is that still a concern?

I was looking for that info on the website and it says this:

• The main road is a fast moving 6 lane thoroughfare. 3 main entrances/exits to the project and nearby U-turns ensure access.
  • One entrance/exit is via the 2nd Ring Road (Thanon Somphot Chiang

Mai 700 Pi), Two entrances/exits via the Super Highway (New-Sankampang

Road)

Promenada

Also took a peek via Google to see where it is and accessibility - Location

Also site photos

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks nice ,but when has any building job finished on time

On another point I seem to recall concern about traffic getting into it and out of it is that still a concern?

I was looking for that info on the website and it says this:

• The main road is a fast moving 6 lane thoroughfare. 3 main entrances/exits to the project and nearby U-turns ensure access.
  • One entrance/exit is via the 2nd Ring Road (Thanon Somphot Chiang

Mai 700 Pi), Two entrances/exits via the Super Highway (New-Sankampang

Road)

Promenada

Also took a peek via Google to see where it is and accessibility - Location

Also site photos

Good stuff all though the picture of the men's room with toilets side by side and no stalls was a little off putting. Hopefully a work in progress.

It is defiantly going to be an upgrade for Chiang Mai.

Lets just hope they have adequate parking! That alone would set them apart from the competition and truly make them a unique mall.

The original proposal was to have lots of it with carts to take you from the far parts to the stores.

so far it looks like they are delivering on all the other ideas in the original proposal.

I was wondering if the public transportation services would be available as at the other two major shopping centers or if you have to arrange for it such as at Mackro.

• 3 weeks later...

Drove past there today and had a look at the outside of the building.

It's almost closed, almost all windows are in, and they started a bit of landscaping.

There is a sign that says opening 7 th of June.

Find it hard to believe bacause it looks like the individual renters are not in to get their shops ready.

Lets just hope they have adequate parking! That alone would set them apart from the competition and truly make them a unique mall.

The original proposal was to have lots of it with carts to take you from the far parts to the stores.

so far it looks like they are delivering on all the other ideas in the original proposal.

I was wondering if the public transportation services would be available as at the other two major shopping centers or if you have to arrange for it such as at Mackro.

not quite sure what you mean by this... but, for example, songthiews sit outside of bigC extra (on hwy 11) and charge like 300 baht to go anywhere...kinda like their minimum... my wife had dropped off our car at the tire shop and needed a songthiew to go to CMIS and back (to pick up the kid at school) and 300 was their rock bottom price... and that is a pretty short ride... like 5 mins each way...

anyways.. if that is the thai idea of public transportation at major shopping centers... i would almost rather walk. i know, sometimes there is no alternative and you have a lot of stuff to carry, so you are stuck with their absurd prices... TIT

not quite sure what you mean by this... but, for example, songthiews sit outside of bigC extra (on hwy 11) and charge like 300 baht to go anywhere...kinda like their minimum... my wife had dropped off our car at the tire shop and needed a songthiew to go to CMIS and back (to pick up the kid at school) and 300 was their rock bottom price... and that is a pretty short ride... like 5 mins each way...

anyways.. if that is the thai idea of public transportation at major shopping centers... i would almost rather walk. i know, sometimes there is no alternative and you have a lot of stuff to carry, so you are stuck with their absurd prices... TIT

Well I was thinking of like songthiews and tuck tucks that sit outside or are constantly passing by KSG or airport malls. songthiews are generally 20 baht or in the case of Tesco Lotus on the super highway 100 baht. The tuck tucks at the airport mall are 100 baht and the songthiews 20 baht. Of course if you want them for your use only there price goes up dramatically as they can take up to 12 passengers at 20 baht a piece they are not going to give you that service for only you at 20 baht.

Also cabs at the airport mall are only 140 baht.

From what I have read they are figuring Chiang Mai is not big enough to support a mall of there size and quality and it is designed to attract visitors from other areas. I am quite sure they will have some sort of transportation organized. Not like Big C where I never go to or Macro who I will go to for a 200 baht return trip price. They have one item there that I save 400 baht on so it is not that bad of a deal.

Well I was thinking of like songthiews and tuck tucks that sit outside or are constantly passing by KSG or airport malls. songthiews are generally 20 baht or in the case of Tesco Lotus on the super highway 100 baht. The tuck tucks at the airport mall are 100 baht and the songthiews 20 baht. Of course if you want them for your use only there price goes up dramatically as they can take up to 12 passengers at 20 baht a piece they are not going to give you that service for only you at 20 baht.

From what I have read they are figuring Chiang Mai is not big enough to support a mall of there size and quality and it is designed to attract visitors from other areas. I am quite sure they will have some sort of transportation organized. Not like Big C where I never go to or Macro who I will go to for a 200 baht return trip price. They have one item there that I save 400 baht on so it is not that bad of a deal.

Why don't you use fixed-route songthaews more? You would save a lot of money that way. The ones going in the Hang Dong direction (starting from Chiang Mai gate, and some from the big market on the river) will pass Tesco, Big C and then Makro. For a lot less money; just take a red one to Chiang Mai gate, then connect to a yellow one at the start of Wualai Rd.

But yes, Promenada will need some transportation solution as there are is no regular bus / songthaew service of any kind on that road.

Interesting idea. I am aware of the yellow one
to Hong Dong and often use it when leaving my doctors office. I know it
goes past Tesco's but had never considered going as far as the Macro.
The Macro I go to here on the super highway the first time we went there
I was unaware of the lack of transportation. You would be surprised how
long you can stand on the side of the highway waiting for a public
transportation there.

Why don't you use fixed-route songthaews more? You would save a lot of money that way. The ones going in the Hang Dong direction (starting from Chiang Mai gate, and some from the big market on the river) will pass Tesco, Big C and then Makro. For a lot less money; just take a red one to Chiang Mai gate, then connect to a yellow one at the start of Wualai Rd.

But yes, Promenada will need some transportation solution as there are is no regular bus / songthaew service of any kind on that road.

Yes, would like to know which shops will open there, specifically which restaurants (chains vs local businesses). And if it will be distinctly up-market, or similar in price as Airport Plaza. Also, an estimate of the opening date to the public (so when the first shops are open, not construction completion date of the overall structure) would be good too; no need for this to be down to the day, I'm fine with a guesstimate by the month or even the quarter.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Yes, would like to know which shops will open there, specifically which restaurants (chains vs local businesses). And if it will be distinctly up-market, or similar in price as Airport Plaza. Also, an estimate of the opening date to the public (so when the first shops are open, not construction completion date of the overall structure) would be good too; no need for this to be down to the day, I'm fine with a guesstimate by the month or even the quarter.

Oke, noted that down for you.

Are you kidding? blink.png

Yep. Central Airport has a vast range of chain Japanese restaurants. I hope the new malls will be different, but I doubt it.

I hear those islands off China are good for it. It's still Japanese food, innit? Stroll on. saai.gif

As for I will meet the director of Promenada soon. You guys have any questions you would like to be answered specifically?

Yes please. What's his daughter's number? rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

When they say Rimping superstore I was wondering if that is meant to be one that will make the others look small and have more foreign foods on offer. Will certainly be interested in that.

Nope, it just means they will charge more money the same stuff. whistling.gif

Are you kidding? blink.png

Yep. Central Airport has a vast range of chain Japanese restaurants. I hope the new malls will be different, but I doubt it.

I hear those islands off China are good for it. It's still Japanese food, innit? Stroll on. saai.gif

>As for I will meet the director of Promenada soon. You guys have any questions you would like to be answered specifically?

Yes please. What's his daughter's number? rolleyes.gif

Let me ask him if he has a daughter first thumbsup.gif

I am predicting third quarter even though they are saying June 7. A friend has a store there and says to hit that date they will have to work night and day.

Yes definatly chain restaurants. Dairy Queen McDonald's hopefully an A and W.

The article in city life indicated that they would definatly have upscale stores. They are counting on attracting people from out side Chiang Mai with the more expensive goods.

All in all it sounded surprisingly like they presented it to be a couple of years ago when they first talked of it. I for one am looking forward to it.

Right, but even with upscale stores you could have up-scale Thai/local brands (like a Jim Thompson or Villa Cini Silk outlet, yawn) or it could be official stores from international luxury retail brands.

I'm unlikely to shop at either, but I do have a casual interest. For example, even though I drive past there 4 times a day I can't see myself going there a lot if it's all the usual, a Fuji, Oi Ichi, Mc Donalds, Starbucks, Black Canyon, some steak chain, etc, etc. If there are some local restaurants though, or a food center that's good value for what it is (not necessarily super cheap, but interesting for the price) then I would go.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Right, but even with upscale stores you could have up-scale Thai/local brands (like a Jim Thompson or Villa Cini Silk outlet, yawn) or it could be official stores from international luxury retail brands.

I'm unlikely to shop at either, but I do have a casual interest. For example, even though I drive past there 4 times a day I can't see myself going there a lot if it's all the usual, a Fuji, Oi Ichi, Mc Donalds, Starbucks, Black Canyon, some steak chain, etc, etc. If there are some local restaurants though, or a food center that's good value for what it is (not necessarily super cheap, but interesting for the price) then I would go.

There will be a Dukes if that is acceptable to you. I suppose it will qualify as a chain as there will be 4 Dukes three in Chiang Mai and one in Bangkok. I would also imagine they would have a food court. Hopefully one with many choices at a reasonable price. I would expect the prices to be a bit higher than the food courts in other malls as obviously the cost of a new mall will be much higher than an older mall.

As for upscale stores I don't think they care if they are local or foreign. The tone of the article in the article led one to beklieve that they really don't think there is room in Chiang Mai for a normal mall and they are putting in up scale stores that will attract people from many other communities

I am betting the next 6 months will tell the tale. But you will have to go in to see if it has what you like.

That's my issue as well. Every single shopping mall / strip mall in Chiang Mai, has all the exact same damn stores. Absolutely no variety at all.

I would love to at least see a Popeyes or Carls Jr. Both of which franchises appear to be doing quite well down in Bangkok.

-Mestizo

By Jove I think we have the makings of a food thread here. Does Carlos Jr still have the hamburgers wrapped in lettuce rather than on a bun?

Why don't you just buy a car?

transportation there.

Why don't you just buy a car?

transportation there.

I am busy goggling them and it doesn't help. What's it to you any how.

CM needs another more convenient Burger King!!!!Please no more McD!!

Have you see the new one just inside Thapae gate? Underneath the M Hotel. Some parking in front of the building and along Ratchadamnoen Rd. Still not uber convient, but much better than trying to park around the Night Bazaar branch and those stupid sales carts.

-Mestizo

CM needs another more convenient Burger King!!!!Please no more McD!!

Have you see the new one just inside Thapae gate? Underneath the M Hotel. Some parking in front of the building and along Ratchadamnoen Rd. Still not uber convient, but much better than trying to park around the Night Bazaar branch and those stupid sales carts.

-Mestizo

The Pavilion building (Night Bazaar, where the McDonald's, Subway and Duke's are located) has a parking area on the rooftop. Just drive into the soi next to Duke's. It is free (for a limited time) if you buy at one of the stores there.