About 500 Involved In Cheating At Test For Job Of Assistant Teachers

Lite Beer

So if I am understanding the posts to date, out of 10,000 university graduates, only somewhere between 15% and 20% (assuming some cheats passed) can pass an exam to become a trainee teacher. Do they print degrees on toilet paper?

And as I am assured there is minimal unemployment in Thailand, I can only assume the other 8000 have gone back to their previous employment, most likely 7-11 or Macdonalds.

You'll probably find that the answer can be found in the real reason for any of the civil service exams in Thailand. Only 2000 paid the going rate to pass the exam.

This certainly explains the poor state of the Thai education system.

Chreating on police exams ... cheating on teacher exams ...

What a country ... rampant corruption where money talks and screw the rest

Don't understand the exasperated comments like this. If you live here you understand the system - total corruption. Live with it and don't complain or go home to that wonderfully civilised land from whence you came. Most people find life here in paradise to be very relaxed and easy going, so long as you keep your head down and do not upset the local system - wherever you live. Have paid the occasional fine to the BiB but apart from that the corruption passes me by. Why complain, enjoy the warm sand, cold beer and firm flesh.

Cheating for a job of assistant teacher? That does not make much sense, as this Jo does not pay much and I believe there is a shortage of teachers also,

I know one of my ex's got a job as a teacher without much hassle and not only she did not have right qualification but also had no experience at all

All teachers start off as teaching assistants with no experience, the experience is gained over a few years in a classroom after which they sit a further examination after which, if they pass they become permanent teachers and civil servants. I don't know what subject or where your ex was supposed to be teaching but Thai teachers do NOT turn up at schools and apply for jobs. After they complete their university degree they take a further examination and those with the top results are then issued a teaching licence by the Teachers Council of Thailand. They are then sent to a school by the local Education Department as a teaching assistant where they work until they apply to sit a further teacher examination. If they are successful with this they are then allocated a second school as a teacher. I am of course writing about mainstream education and not language schools.

Again for the ones who can not read.

Not all teachers start of as teachers assistant.

MY ex got job as a teacher without experience or qualifications.AGAIN she was not an assistant, she never worked as a teacher, she did not even have education to be a teacher.

She was computers teachers and yet did not even know how to install an anti-virus

She did not apply for assistant teacher job, she did not have to take any tests

She worked at Thai public school, in BKK(just outside)

Mr Big Reader - perhaps she knew the school director and had been keeping him happy so he offered her a second job? - and by the way we non-readers can spell and understand grammar, check your posting!

This article brings several questions to mind.

Why is a government test needed for a graduate who is a graduate/qualified by a university to teach?

Who drafts/writes this test to start with?

Who/how is the test graded?

How much does it cost to take the test?

What is the fee, if there is one, used for?

What has been learned if only 2000 out of 10000 pass the test?

How are successful applicants teaching assignments made, test score, appearance, etc?

Do the 80% who failed get to retake the test?

Does the failure get the applicant a fast track to being a 'party MP' during the next election?

This appears to be a perfect example of how badly broken several systems can be, yet still find additional broken parts, while telling the public "we are good to go".

The test is for an intake of applicants to join the civil service. The department of Education (haha) decide on how many each years intake will be and these jobs are given to xxx number of applicants with the highest scores - this also applies to police and other civil service entrance tests - it has been known in the past for monkeys to apply and get the best test results - these monkeys then go on to become successful Thai teachers.Civil Service jobs in Thailand are in demand for various reasons - better working conditions/ a full pension at 60 yrs/ cheap home loans and the most important of all --- a free uniform!

Another 500 probably passed the exam without even sitting for it. wink.png

It only costs 3,000 baht to 'pass' the driving test (actually avoid the parallel parking part of the driving test, which causes the most failures). It only costs 5,000 (before the lottery) to opt out of the military service lottery (but 50,000 after the numbers are drawn).

Don't understand the exasperated comments like this. If you live here you understand the system - total corruption. Live with it and don't complain or go home to that wonderfully civilised land from whence you came.

However, some of us believe that there can be a future for Thailand and will NOT condone the corruption by either ignoring it, OR endorsing it.

Most people find life here in paradise to be very relaxed and easy going, so long as you keep your head down and do not upset the local system - wherever you live. Have paid the occasional fine to the BiB but apart from that the corruption passes me by. Why complain, enjoy the warm sand, cold beer and firm flesh.

Yes, but the level of corruption is so prevasive, that some of us find it near impossible to ignore. The more people complain (even us farangs) about the corruption, the more likely something will be done about it. Ignoring it will NOT make it go away, nor will it improve things for the Thais or for Thailand.

Corruption MUST be addressed, and the sooner the better. Otherwise Thailand is DOOMED. Thailand is already going backwards, while the rest of the world moves forwards. Many Thais feel the same way, they just feel powerless to tackle the problem and are afraid to speak out.

Ignoring it is NOT the solution.

It would help considerably if the Thai media was up to the task of real investigative reporting.

Edited by WhizBang

Cheaters Diploma - PCD - Police Cheaters Diploma.... now assistant teachers cheating - ATCD - Assistant Teachers Cheaters Diploma. CORRUPTION!!!!! - Giving a blind eye to wrong doing further in the line of succession leads to graduation in Shame!

A Tree is known by its fruit....not just by its foilage.

Don't understand the exasperated comments like this. If you live here you understand the system - total corruption. Live with it and don't complain or go home to that wonderfully civilised land from whence you came. Most people find life here in paradise to be very relaxed and easy going, so long as you keep your head down and do not upset the local system - wherever you live. Have paid the occasional fine to the BiB but apart from that the corruption passes me by. Why complain, enjoy the warm sand, cold beer and firm flesh.

So nice to see your deep concern about the cheating teachers who will guide and instruct the future generations of Thai students...Hey, wait a minute, perhaps in the future that will affect your sabai sabai lifestyle if moronic ex-students are going on crime rampages.

The police and political corruption are ingrained in the fabric of society here with no end in sight. As you say, accept it or go home. But a corrupt and twisted system to choose the teachers who influence future generations to me has a lot more impact on a long term scale.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

So what is the problem? Just give them all a new test, here I will write the test for you;

1. What is your name?

2. How old are you?

3. Are you a Thai citizen?

4. Do you know how to operate a tablet?

If you can answer the first 3 questions correctly you are hired. If you can only answer number 4 but can answer yes you are hired.

Don't understand the exasperated comments like this. If you live here you understand the system - total corruption. Live with it and don't complain or go home to that wonderfully civilised land from whence you came.

However, some of us believe that there can be a future for Thailand and will NOT condone the corruption by either ignoring it, OR endorsing it.

Most people find life here in paradise to be very relaxed and easy going, so long as you keep your head down and do not upset the local system - wherever you live. Have paid the occasional fine to the BiB but apart from that the corruption passes me by. Why complain, enjoy the warm sand, cold beer and firm flesh.

Yes, but the level of corruption is so prevasive, that some of us find it near impossible to ignore. The more people complain (even us farangs) about the corruption, the more likely something will be done about it. Ignoring it will NOT make it go away, nor will it improve things for the Thais or for Thailand.

Corruption MUST be addressed, and the sooner the better. Otherwise Thailand is DOOMED. Thailand is already going backwards, while the rest of the world moves forwards. Many Thais feel the same way, they just feel powerless to tackle the problem and are afraid to speak out.

It would help considerably if the Thai media was up to the task of real investigative reporting.

Unless it involves you bigots!!

About 500 involved in cheating at test for job of assistant teachers

So I see the quality of the teaching profession is on a par with that of the police.

Very sad indictment of the future of Thailand.

Agreed but,so are bars and the wives that come from them, are you up to banning both?

So what is the problem? Just give them all a new test, here I will write the test for you;

1. What is your name?

2. How old are you?

3. Are you a Thai citizen?

4. Do you know how to operate a tablet?

If you can answer the first 3 questions correctly you are hired. If you can only answer number 4 but can answer yes you are hired.

If you people had half a brain (as with most Thai Teachers)you could be hired as well! Totally stupid postings

Cheating for a job of assistant teacher? That does not make much sense, as this Jo does not pay much and I believe there is a shortage of teachers also,

I know one of my ex's got a job as a teacher without much hassle and not only she did not have right qualification but also had no experience at all

Probably she had movable legs smile.png

Edited by jbrain

Unless it involves you bigots!!
I am a bit confused by your position. Are you saying that 500 teachers cheating on an entrance exam is good or bad ??

A drop in the ocean compared with probably 95%+ fraudulent English teachers here.

Having a high school diploma from the USA or the equivalent from the UK, Australia etc. makes you more qualified than many of the Thai teachers and Admin at many of the private schools. I highly doubt you have seen 95% of the English teachers in Thailand teach so where do you get your figures from. I know there are many foreign teachers here that have no business in the classroom, but your 95% figure is an insult to me and many English teachers here. Many of us put a lot of effort into our teaching and have great results!
Apparently not as good as your counter parts in other Asean countries, thread on teaching forum has Thailand at the bottom below Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar. Proof is in the pudding and the great results are erm, well the lowest. For Thais to come and say that, standard has to be poor, and therefore the teaching the lowest standard.

BANGKOK: -- With TOEFL scores averaging at 450, Thai students' proficiency in the English language appears to be the lowest in the Asean region.

In order to overcome this, academics are urging universities to seriously start strengthening students' English-language skills by making it a working language at their campuses.

"While, Thais' average TOEFL [Test of English as a Foreign Language] score stands at about 450; [students from] Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar have averaged around 500. Malaysia and Singapore were even higher at approximately 550 on average," Sriwika Mekthavatchaikul said at a seminar on improving the capacity and quality of universities ahead of the Asean Economic Community.

Probably she had movable legs smile.png

By that you mean spreadable?? :)

May of been the case if the director was not a female

>

I agree that not all Thais are happy with the corruption either.

To cheat or not to cheat....that is the question. In Thailand the answer appears to be to cheat.

I think you might have to explain the literary significance of your comment. Not everyone will have read Chaucer.

... It was unclear whether the one's who cheated passed or not ....

If you have all the answers and still fail you probably shouldn't be a teachers assistant anyway.

clap2.gif If you failed while cheating, you should be locked away somewhere as you would be a danger not only to society but to yourself as well

500 cheated, how many applied?, Oh, we need someone good at math, and honest to work that out, rare combination;o)