I Think Prices In Thailand For Cars Are Insane!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So think about how cheap the 2nd hand BMW is here........ see why.

2002/3 BMW 523 cost 3.55 million

2002/3 Honda Accord 2.4 cost 1.4 million

2002/3 Toyota Camry 2.4 cost 1.4 million..

So today you can buy all 3 makes, 2nd hand for somewhere around 700,000 baht. so BMW is very cheap 2nd hand here. maybe a better way to look at it..

2002/3 Honda Accord 2.4 cost 1.4 million !!!!

In NZ I bought 5 years ago a 1990 Honda Accord with the WOF ready for just 60000 bath ^_^

Can I ask if with a Tourist Visa can I buy a car here?

If your budget is 300k you may as well keep the money in the bank and just use taxi's when you can't ride your scooter.

That's certainly true if he lives in Bangkok, where owning a car really makes little sense, but here in the upcountry he'd probably do ok with 300,000.

For example, I bought my 30 year old Toyota Ke70 Corolla for 50,000 several years ago, and its worked out just fine for me. I've driven it lots of places all over Isaan and it hasn't really left me sitting (other than once here in my home province). I've spent little on repairs - practically nothing the first couple of years, maybe 10,000/year on average since then. The only bad part is it is really beaten and battered now, and Thai people are really scandalized by my visible poverty when they see me driving it.

"and Thai people are really scandalized by my visible poverty when they see me driving it."

Or maybe there is no translation into Thai of "there goes another Cheap Charlene"! I am often accused of being tight with money to, but really I am only being economical. There is no sense in eating venison when a porterhouse steak will do! wink.png

clare quilty is a mans name, a character in the book lolita

Edited by candypants
  • Like 1

I recently bought new Nissan Almera, 495,000 automatic, out the door. Great car, roomy, great mileage and fun to drive. I doubt you could buy such a car anywhere cheaper in the world. And they keep their value so you get back lots of the initial cost when you resell them.

• Like 1

I recently bought new Nissan Almera, 495,000 automatic, out the door. Great car, roomy, great mileage and fun to drive. I doubt you could buy such a car anywhere cheaper in the world. And they keep their value so you get back lots of the initial cost when you resell them.

Sure you could - America :) But yeah, wouldn't have the same resale value there...

lOOKS COOL, CAN YOU PUBLISH SOME IMAGES OF YOUR CAR? aLSO HOW MANY hp DOES IT HAVE? dOES IT HAVE AIRBAGS, MPE PLAYER, GOOD SOUND SYSTEM, OR IT SOUND CRAPPY? i GUESS FOR THAT MONEY YOU CANT EXPECT A LOT

So think about how cheap the 2nd hand BMW is here........ see why.

2002/3 BMW 523 cost 3.55 million

2002/3 Honda Accord 2.4 cost 1.4 million

2002/3 Toyota Camry 2.4 cost 1.4 million..

So today you can buy all 3 makes, 2nd hand for somewhere around 700,000 baht. so BMW is very cheap 2nd hand here. maybe a better way to look at it..

2002/3 Honda Accord 2.4 cost 1.4 million !!!!

In NZ I bought 5 years ago a 1990 Honda Accord with the WOF ready for just 60000 bath happy.png

Can I ask if with a Tourist Visa can I buy a car here?

Even with no visa you can buy a car here smile.png putting it on your name you need an adres in Thailand

• Like 1

Reminds me of my Pompous Friend years ago. He avoided buying the Bar Girls Family preference for 2 or more years.. He asked me to say nothing So i took him to buy the Yaris, they were new then . When it came to his address the Sales Person told him . Solly Ferang cant own House in Thailand, whats your Hotel Please . It was an entertaining dance he did before storming out. He did buy it later using a Hotel Registration eventually.He is now a Free Man, his Companion kicked him out.... No House that he paid for anymore, just an old Yaris he loves. thumbsup.gif

In Switzerland i drive a nice 98' camaro Rs with T Tops. In Thailand i drive a 94' Huanday Scoupe. U can gess for which car i paid more? It's a shame, but thats the way it is and noone can change it. In Cambo i can buy for 20k $ a lexus 470 SUV, in LOS i have to pay 1,8 million

Reminds me of my Pompous Friend years ago. He avoided buying the Bar Girls Family preference for 2 or more years.. He asked me to say nothing So i took him to buy the Yaris, they were new then . When it came to his address the Sales Person told him . Solly Ferang cant own House in Thailand, whats your Hotel Please . It was an entertaining dance he did before storming out. He did buy it later using a Hotel Registration eventually.He is now a Free Man, his Companion kicked him out.... No House that he paid for anymore, just an old Yaris he loves. thumbsup.gif

He lost the house? He just build it like that for her? I guess that bitch could not touch the car then

He lost the house? He just build it like that for her? I guess that bitch could not touch the car then

Yes.Thats all he got left, but hes just one of many,as all the Old Hands here have witnessed first hand.coffee1.gif

Yes.Thats all he got left, but hes just one of many,as all the Old Hands here have witnessed first hand.coffee1.gif

Yes we are the risq takers so we should be respected for this tongue.png

• 2 weeks later...

Not joking, really, who is stupid enough to buy a second and car in Thailand ?

The only Thai I know selling them makes 200k/month because he never sells any car without cheating the meter and many other things...

I must be be pretty dumb cosI have two secondhand cars at the moment. Both a lot more fun than a Jazz or pick-up. I've had a fair mix in my 13-14 yrs here. To be honest I've always managed to sell the secondhand ones on for what I paid and one I traded into a dealer when buying a new car and came out ahead. It's mostly about knowing the market. There are "bargains" to be had. You just have to forget the "price in Europe" nonsense. Of course if you don't have the cash in the first place, well no point teasing yourself and stick to a Jazz. I dislike auto gearboxes and the four door saloons here are for fuddy duddies.

post-39406-0-79123700-1364412007_thumb.j

• Like 1

Unless you are loaded, Thai made cars is the way to go.

Here is a link (Danish) for Danish prices for a Ford Ranger: http://www.fdm.dk/set-og-koert/ford-ranger-til-haardt-brug

So a xlt 2.2 manual transmission cost app. 1.3 mill bath on yellow plates (work vehicle) and 2.85 as private car. Okay this one has side curtain airbags and the whole 9 yard.

Ranger wt 3.2 top model: 1.8 mill bath (yellow plates) and 3.8 mill bath on white plates.

I am not complaining about Thai prices (local made), okay it's unfair that imports cost so much but when you see how many imports actually roaming the roads here, it seems like they still sell.

If you are a Hi-So in Thailand you got to have an imported car so everybody can see that you got money, lots of money.

I personally don't give a shit, I am over 50 now and I don't care if I am impressing anybody or not, my Ranger pick-up suits me just fine and people can buy whatever they want.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

I want to buy toyotta hilux for like 300 - 400 k, what year do I get for this?

Does it drink a lot of diesel?

2005 Hilux Vigo 'J' model D4D = NO ABS or Airbag

2004 Hilux Tiger 'E' model D4D = with ABS + Airbags

Just rough idea.......... Single Cab? Extra Cab ? Double Cab ? 2x4 or 4x4 ? Sports Cruiser ? ABS ? Airbag ? manual or Auto ? so many models

You say diesel, many have a petrol engine fitted + gas LPG

Depends on wich engine you chose 2.5 diesels handgear of 2005 for instance don t use a lot when you buy a 3 liter turbo

combined with an automatic and a heavy right foot It will use a lot.

Just a little teaser....from Maui...where car prices are cincidered higher than in continental US...

...whitch one should I get?!

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/cto/3678649864.html

and this one...

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/cto/3641683493.html

BTW...Nissan Almera(Versa in US) starts at $11,900 and this comes with a 1.6 L engine...

http://www.nissanusa.com/cars/versa-sedan?next=header.vehicles.postcard.vlp.image

2005 Hilux Vigo 'J' model D4D = NO ABS or Airbag

2004 Hilux Tiger 'E' model D4D = with ABS + Airbags

Just rough idea.......... Single Cab? Extra Cab ? Double Cab ? 2x4 or 4x4 ? Sports Cruiser ? ABS ? Airbag ? manual or Auto ? so many models

You say diesel, many have a petrol engine fitted + gas LPG

I like vigo, but tiger looks like shit

but I cant imagine car without abs and airbags for god sake, I will have to fork at least 500 then.

Isnt new hilux around 500k?

These old cars look just OLD :)

I would have to go for something from 2010 or soemthing

Isnt new hilux around 500k?

yes just about that for the base model even a brand new 2013 base model = NO ABS or Airbag

Same with many Pickups and cars base models even a brand new 2013 model of most Thai makes

If you must have a Vigo with ABS and Airbag a 2009/ 2010 you may well find you will have to up the 500k by another 100k or more

Edited by ignis

Why? Do you want to carry things in the back?

If not why not just buy a car? I had a Ford Ranger (similar to Hilux) and can say that i'm very happy with my 480k Mitsubishi Mirage (accept the seats,For me the Thai seats are crap. Euro seats ok. Sat in one in UK)

Better on fuel. faster. easier to park. can still take 4-5 people. Abs. Airbag etc

Do have a look at the Eco cars. you may be surprised.

Here is a link (Danish) for Danish prices for a Ford Ranger: http://www.fdm.dk/set-og-koert/ford-ranger-til-haardt-brug

So a xlt 2.2 manual transmission cost app. 1.3 mill bath on yellow plates (work vehicle) and 2.85 as private car. Okay this one has side curtain airbags and the whole 9 yard.

Ranger wt 3.2 top model: 1.8 mill bath (yellow plates) and 3.8 mill bath on white plates.

I am not complaining about Thai prices (local made), okay it's unfair that imports cost so much but when you see how many imports actually roaming the roads here, it seems like they still sell.

If you are a Hi-So in Thailand you got to have an imported car so everybody can see that you got money, lots of money.

I personally don't give a shit, I am over 50 now and I don't care if I am impressing anybody or not, my Ranger pick-up suits me just fine and people can buy whatever they want.

More like if you wish you were Hi-so and want people to think you are or a spoilt son.

More like if you wish you were Hi-so and want people to think you are or a spoilt son.

Or more like... If you can afford something reasonable you can simply buy it without worrying what others think, especially the narrow minded.

Yes, cars are expensive in Thailand, but I have to wonder why some are so sour about it. It's only a car. Are you same sour people also negative against those who have a nice house?... after all, whats the point, you only need a bed to sleep in right ?

Guys (well, some of you anyway)... Get used to the fact that some people work hard and can afford some of life's luxuries, be it a nice house, a nice car and business class travel etc... of course, some are born into it... but why would we work hard if its not to give our children the best opportunities for the future?

These negative opinions against those who have nice things only shows the short comings of those expressing the opinion...

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

If not why not just buy a car? I had a Ford Ranger (similar to Hilux) and can say that i'm very happy with my 480k Mitsubishi Mirage (accept the seats,For me the Thai seats are crap. Euro seats ok. Sat in one in UK)

Better on fuel. faster. easier to park. can still take 4-5 people. Abs. Airbag etc

I would pick Ford anytime before Mitsu or other asian pickup

Is Ford made in Thailand?

Because I saw some pickups were priced below hilux.

I have ford at home, ford mondeo and I love it.

But yes maybe big car is too much of a hussle, but who knows maybe I will put a scooter on the back or something when relocating or motocross bike, who knows, that is why I was lookng at pickups

But I was checking at Ford pickups and the last part did not have a cover, I would love to put some stuff there when I travel back to europe to store so that is a minus for me I think

I would pick ford ranger before hilux if it would be cheaper, I love ford cars

• 2 weeks later...

The only Thai I know selling them makes 200k/month because he never sells any car without cheating the meter and many other things...

I must be be pretty dumb cosI have two secondhand cars at the moment. Both a lot more fun than a Jazz or pick-up. I've had a fair mix in my 13-14 yrs here. To be honest I've always managed to sell the secondhand ones on for what I paid and one I traded into a dealer when buying a new car and came out ahead. It's mostly about knowing the market. There are "bargains" to be had. You just have to forget the "price in Europe" nonsense. Of course if you don't have the cash in the first place, well no point teasing yourself and stick to a Jazz. I dislike auto gearboxes and the four door saloons here are for fuddy duddies.

To forget the "price in Europe nonsense" actually means forgetting common sense and money sense.

I have the cash to buy a 4 Million THB E 250 , but I won't because it is a stupid price .