Traffic Cop Loses Face? In Car Video Camera

Satcommlee

I did buy one of these cams arrived a few days ago by the mail, and tested it today. It seems decent enough, as i said before only think to need it in case of accident that involves people dying or getting really hurt. I got first class insurance for the car (bike too) so other things don't worry me that much.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did buy one of these cams arrived a few days ago by the mail, and tested it today. It seems decent enough, as i said before only think to need it in case of accident that involves people dying or getting really hurt. I got first class insurance for the car (bike too) so other things don't worry me that much.

Who did you get first class for bike from ? What does it cover and what's the premium please ?

on a second look they dont look like traffic lights at all just one of those new fandangled pedestrian crossing lights and their is a stop line on the farangs road but none on the Thais road, but there are some pretty grim things going on in the video, the road design is appalling it appears to give right of way to cars pulling out onto the main road ie the car driver, this is just bad road design like the awful U turns on main roads, but then again if we want to play Thai rules the car should pay for the motorbike damage................I mean the Thais cant have it both ways can they?? ...................oh yes sorry they can

Well I guess if anyone actually read the story that went with the you tube video then you would be aware that the police viewed the video cam and agreed with the cyclist that the car driver was at fault and had to pay for all repairs.

Cynics will say it's always the car driver who pays.

You reckon that was a result?

If I had been that cop, I would have been all over you like a rash, you admit to speeding, then you give them a hard time.

Lucky you're a Farang, a Thai guy would never get away with the crap that you pulled, as far as I'm concerned, think yourself lucky you never got shot, I would never have a Farang give me crap of I was a cop, I'd pull a gun on you just to see you soil your pantaloons if you gave me lip.

You'd <deleted> yourself, then give me money, guaranteed.

If you were that cop you would just shut up as he did become you only want easy money from the stupid who just reply AMEN to all the bullshxt a cop can say.

Ministry of Som Tam: it's 2000 thb not $$ and when you will be accused of a lot bigger crime that you haven't done you will be happy to spend $50 for a dashcam. Nowadays someone must be retarded not to have one in his car, especially in this country.

There are a few cameras sold in Tukcom as well. However, they know nothing about them.

This is the camera I have and have had for a LONG time now.

FREE-SHIPPING-in-dash-Car-cam-DVR-F60-bl

I don't care about the speeding-tea money. I view that 100-200b as road tax. And it is NOT just foreigners that get it ... my wife is "ticketed" EVERY trip home, and only some of the time is she actually speeding. But for a 100b, she doesn't argue either.

For the naysayers, the camera is protection against idiot motorcycle drivers. Too many of them cut in front of you and have almost lost their lives. I wanted the camera to document what happened. It is cheap insurance.

I have also recorded and emailed clips of commercial vehicles driving illegally and dangerously (highway driving within 1 meter of my bumper, etc.).

I posted this previously, but is one of my favorites. My wife, traveling the divided highway at over 100kph, when the truck in front of her swerves to the right and a motorcycle is driving in between the two highway lanes ... how he didn't die that die is a mystery. (Of course, the stills don't do the scene justice, but just picture in your mind that she was going over 100kph and the motorcycle driver was speeding toward her ... and missed her car by less than 1/3 of a meter.

post-83794-0-64725900-1362967339_thumb.j

Well it is Thailand. I dare say that if a Japanese tourist was pulled over in Bavaria and started nattering away in Japanese, the green uniformed chap wouldn't be as forgiving, nor would a tourist jabbering away in Portuguese stopped in west armpitville Arkansas get a friendly accomodation.

Edit to add Thai example. Interesting enough, the beardedThai onlooker blames the farang.

That vid does shows not 100% who is mistake, id say the car driver as he is pulling out on a main road but still the motorbike might have stopped faster.
Footage played without supporting software gives the impression of speeding. When played with the supporting software the same clip (not necessarily the one above as I don't think the software is available for bikes) will show speed, location, G-force etc. Mine also has a 2 year warranty.
Aren't those traffic lights above the junction? If they are, why would the driver exit if they were at red for him?
As far as I can see in the video there is a white "Stop" line across the road that the motorbike is driving on. He does not stop and instead drives straight into a truck that is already in the intersection.

IMHO 100% wrong of the motorbike, he could see that car from 100m away, instead keeps going full speed, straight through an intersection, crosses over to the other side of the road and crashes into the front of the car.

Edited by dave111223

so why were you speeding in the first place? sounds like you should've been fined, and that camera would've incriminated you, knowning this you still decide to act like a rude a**hole, nice job. wink.png

He wasn't being fined he was being extorted
Seriously, what do you expect? We are in a third world country! Extortion, bribes, payola $$$

I don't think I said it was unexpected. I think I said it was extortion not a fine.

There are two sets of lights on the road the motorbike is using which is clearly the major road of the two, the other road being a side road onto to major clearly showing {albeit apparently not working} traffic lights but none on the road on the left unless they are located in front and near the trees on the right side of the m/bike but cannot see but if one looks far enough to the left at the end of the green and white canopy and by the electricity there looks as though there may well be a line, vague but probably a line.

The m/bike was on the main road and the truck was emerging from his left onto the main road the dilemma here is that it appears the bike was going quite fast, the car driver came out too far and may not of seen the bike but the bike was on the MAIN road so the onus is on the car driver to ensure it is safe to come out but of course it appears that perhaps neither were paying 100% attention and in my opinion that is why the police held the car driver responsible but we all have our own views about an accident that was so easily avoidable.

@Nanlaew #43:

Does this car video camera have gps? Does it film the speedometer?

Mine has GPS. The speed is shown digitally when viewed on a computer through the supporting software.

What model do you have?

Imported from UK. A later model shows inside the car too & has an external antennae to prevent probs re tinted windscreens. They also have a bullet cam for bikes.

Elsewhere a Korean model called BLACKVUE retails at around the same price & is available here. They use those tiny SD cards that aren't compatible with bowyers fingers or L/Cpl Jones eyesight.

Edited by evadgib

I do believe they are a very good idea to have. If anything they may provide information, if found, to help clear up any missing persons report.

Just be careful, in my next of the woods there is a sub district police station that is very well known to not like westerns and have in the past made their lives...uncomfortable....! Won't name them but people up in the far Northeast know them and I can guarantee you would not get away with your actions with them.

Just a point I have to go through their check point every day for work and they stop me every time...ask for my ID, which they have seen probably a thousand times and then let me through. Asked the wife a couple of years ago why they stop me every time...she says "in case today is the day you forgot it at home"!

Not all, but some, are not only in it for the money, some generally dislike foreigners and just need an excuse.

Got a GO Pro on my bike and a Vison Drive in the car, great things to have. When we do get pulled up on either vehicle for what ever, the wife usually asks what they want. Then they normally ask what is the thing on the front of the bike or the thing on the windscreen. She tells them it is a camera and they sometimes ask for the rego and insurance papers or just wave us off. Yes they are cheap to buy and worth it, especially if you have an accident and are not in the wrong. If you are in the wrong it records that as well, so in that case get rid of it before they see it.

• Like 1

You reckon that was a result?

If I had been that cop, I would have been all over you like a rash, you admit to speeding, then you give them a hard time.

Lucky you're a Farang, a Thai guy would never get away with the crap that you pulled, as far as I'm concerned, think yourself lucky you never got shot, I would never have a Farang give me crap of I was a cop, I'd pull a gun on you just to see you soil your pantaloons if you gave me lip.

You'd <deleted> yourself, then give me money, guaranteed.

I think you missed the point here. If these officers were doing their job legally and produced the speed he was doing as proof , he know doubt would of coughed up the dough. He only tried this on them as he was aware that they were up to know good. I can't see how you can justify the police actions in the first place. The fact you said you would pull a gun, also indicates your level of intelligence. Bottom line if ever one does the right thing then justice is served.

I know that place. It's at the junction of Patak Road West and Luangphochuain Road in Phuket. It is the beach road that goes from Karon to Kata.

Forget the lights - they are often not on.

post-35489-0-08649100-1363028248.jpg

The biker overtook another bike and passenger as they were going across a pedestrian crossing, then ignored the lights because they were off, had plenty of time to realise he was at a junction normally controlled by lights, so should have started slowing down, had plenty of time to see the white line across his road so should've slowed down, should've seen the SUV and slowed down, and then thought that the SUV must stop because he is going so fast by which time it was way too late for him to make the correct decision and go to the left of the SUV.

Basically a dork who doesn't know how to ride a bike safely in Thailand.

And I don't care about the policeman's decision - he was wrong and just wanted an easy day.

post-35489-0-08649100-1363028248_thumb.j

Edited by JetsetBkk
  • Like 1

I know that place. It's at the junction of Patak Road West and Luangphochuain Road in Phuket. It is the beach road that goes from Karon to Kata.

Forget the lights - they are often not on.

post-35489-0-08649100-1363028248.jpg

The biker overtook another bike and passenger as they were going across a pedestrian crossing, then ignored the lights because they were off, had plenty of time to realise he was at a junction normally controlled by lights, so should have started slowing down, had plenty of time to see the white line across his road so should've slowed down, should've seen the SUV and slowed down, and then thought that the SUV must stop because he is going so fast by which time it was way too late for him to make the correct decision and go to the left of the SUV.

Basically a dork who doesn't know how to ride a bike safely in Thailand.

And I don't care about the policeman's decision - he was wrong and just wanted an easy day.

Agree - The Bike was wrong and could have avoid the crash. But the SUV was also wrong for pulling out of a junction when it wasn't' clear to do so... The SUV is legally in the wrong.

IF the situation were reversed, i.e. if it was a Westerner driving the SUV and a Thai driving the bike, would this change the opinion of those who suggest the bike is in the wrong ? or would a certain level a compassion for the locals (read: Thai Apologist) shine through and switch the blame to the car ??

Yes, with a little more awareness the Bike could easily have avoided the accident, but the SUV caused it.... The Thai law agrees, I'm not sure why this is being persistently debated....

I'm sure it's worth investing USD $2,000 in the latest technology to avoid a 200 baht fine!

USD 2,000........??? You don't have to install all BBC equipment! A simple THB 2,500-3,000 dash cam will do.

Some GPS-systems even offer a video recording possibility.

Fgis, some cameras start automatically when motion is detected,will not drain the battery.

My camera has that option also,i would like to tell you the name and type of the camera but i can not find it,made in china and seems to work well.

so why were you speeding in the first place? sounds like you should've been fined, and that camera would've incriminated you, knowning this you still decide to act like a rude a**hole, nice job. wink.png

that's what I was thinking, another person that can't go the speed limit and cries when they get a ticket... and somehow thinks their a hero for weaseling out of it.

Almost every time I've had to stop, I wind the window down. They look and wave me on. Great these non English speaking police.

Well it is Thailand. I dare say that if a Japanese tourist was pulled over in Bavaria and started nattering away in Japanese, the green uniformed chap wouldn't be as forgiving, nor would a tourist jabbering away in Portuguese stopped in west armpitville Arkansas get a friendly accomodation.

Edit to add Thai example. Interesting enough, the beardedThai onlooker blames the farang.

I suppose you know by now that the solid white line means 'stop' you didn't stop as the Tai driver is pointing out.

I suppose you know by now that the solid white line means 'stop' you didn't stop as the Tai driver is pointing out.

The way I see it, without a STOP sign or a red traffic light or a policeman directing the traffic and signalling me to stop, this white line does not mean that I must stop at the line and yield the right of way to all traffic from all other directions.

• Like 2

Almost every time I've had to stop, I wind the window down. They look and wave me on. Great these non English speaking police.

I thought that I had erazed this post because the situation had already been thrashed out. This is a case of an ex motorcyclist driving like a motorcyclist in a car. When the SUV first appeared there was plenty of time to go behind it but the fool didn't square the corner, he made a bad turn and in fact was using the motorcyclsts lane, creating a closing speed and cutting off the route behind his vehicle. I think that the police could see that from the video and favoured the motorcyclist, who should have stopped.

Non operative traffic lights are irrelevant; not all junctions have them and one should know the rules of the road at junctions. . Solid white lines mean stop, broken lines mean give way, we should all know that if we drive here.

The Isuzu driver was trying to deflect the blame by pointing out that the Motorcycle rider was on the wrong side of the road.... (well, of course he was, he as trying to avoid the van pulling out)...

The Isuzu driver was trying to deflect the blame by pointing out that the Motorcycle rider was on the wrong side of the road.... (well, of course he was, he as trying to avoid the van pulling out)...

True, the car driver was cutting the corner, most of his vehicle was in the wrong lane too, look how much road was available between him and the curb.

Don't know about you guys, but I see a white line across my lane I slow down. Now without running the video. What is that under the black car. If lights were at green to the car entering the road, and the read light for the bike guy Who is at fault? I know by UK standards we are taught to expect the unexpected.

Hi,

Do you know about any solution to record when car is parked ?

Battery would empty too fast, right ?

Thanks.

The Cams can be wired directly into your battery or fuse box... (depends on model of car). You should also have a 'battery saver' device through which the power from the battery to the cam is routed... It automatically disconnects the cam from the battery once it registers the car batter as having gone below a predetermined voltage (i.e. from 12.0 to 11.8v)....

There is plenty of information on this on the internet... installation videos, battery saving devices etc..

• Like 1

Hi,

Do you know about any solution to record when car is parked ?

Battery would empty too fast, right ?

Thanks.

The Cams can be wired directly into your battery or fuse box... (depends on model of car). You should also have a 'battery saver' device through which the power from the battery to the cam is routed... It automatically disconnects the cam from the battery once it registers the car batter as having gone below a predetermined voltage (i.e. from 12.0 to 11.8v)....

There is plenty of information on this on the internet... installation videos, battery saving devices etc..

Good info above.. and also some can capture video when it detects motion only.

How much can I expect to pay for one of these dashcams in Thailand, or would a better option be to ask a friend to fetch one back from Austra;ia the next time he visits?

I think it all depends a bit on quality. I now got one from ebay paid 2500bt for it. But the ones that richard_smith237 posted about are much more expensive and to be honest might have been better for me as they record speed too plus have an easy app to download the stuff.

For my cam to get it on a computer i need to take the sim out and read it on the computer or play the file on the small screen of the cam. There is of course an hdmi link on it so it does have options. I do feel that the more expensive ones might be better in ways of getting it to your mobile and other devices plus the speed on them could be good (or bad).

But mainly the cams are not expensive at all.