Can You Legally Be Banned From Eating At A Restaurant?

Jingthing

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's relatively simple. You write down what you want and that's what you order. And only that and order the same thing every time.

I've actually done this in a restaurant with a particularly dumb waitress (arai na).

Wrote it down correctly in Thai script on her little pad ......... they still came back with shrimp, when I wrote down Squid.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Folks, please refrain from using profanity/unacceptable language in your replies - it strikes me there are going to be more than a few 'colourful metaphors' used in this thread...

'McJob' however, given the context here, seems to be acceptable....

wink.png

• Like 1

It's relatively simple. You write down what you want and that's what you order. And only that and order the same thing every time.

I've actually done this in a restaurant with a particularly dumb waitress (arai na).

Wrote it down correctly in Thai script on her little pad ......... they still came back with shrimp, when I wrote down Squid.

better to use paper.

2 copies.

• Like 1

better to use paper.

2 copies.

Of passport and Visa. coffee1.gif

I'm sorry SH, but it's against Thaivisa rules to post images of other members without their permission.

I'm sorry SH, but it's against Thaivisa rules to post images of other members moderators/admins without their permission.

I'm sorry SH, but it's against Thaivisa rules to post images of other members without their permission.

I'm sorry SH, but it's against Thaivisa rules to post images of other members moderators/admins without their permission.

Or JT. disguise.jpg

• Like 1

I am legally banned from lots of resturaunts here as you haven't got a hope in hell of getting a wheelchair into them. You at least can get the chance to be allowed to eat there. The least you could do is be polite to the staff as they HAVE to work there.

Private business, can choose whoever he wants or doesn't want in his establishment.

But he isn't the owner. I question his authority as a manager and if he isn't there how could they stop me from sitting down ?

yes, the manager acts as a proxy for the tenant of the premises who exercises property rights which include the ability to forbid access to any person.

OK, so you are saying they could call the police and the police would actually kick me out for sitting there (in their very pleasant premises) waiting to place an order?

I (or rather my missus) had a restaurant for 3 years.

I banned 2 people in that time - one for using foul language (in trying to resolve one of those communication issues) and the other because our standards and his didn't match.

Bottom line, the proprietor (or his proxy) has the right to refuse entry/service/seat - anything.

If you want to make a game of it, and sit down, 9and stay there having been refused service) I would produce a notice that says "anyone wishing to sit at our tables and not order food/drink (or be declined service) will be liable to a service charge of 300 Baht.

If you want to make too much of a game of it (and maybe create offence to other customers) then the options include:-

1) The baseball bat.

2) The wife's cousin who is m/cy taxi driver and was complicit in the burning of Bangkok.

3) The Thai approach - smile gratuitously at you and apologise for everything that has happened - then piss in your soup, under-cook your eggs, over-cook your meat then overcharge you.

It is up to you biggrin.png

The objective is obviously harmony and a decent experience for both parties. Communication is always an issue - especially where a foreign/alien language and foreign/alien food are involved. It is not the Thais fault that you are Falang. Frankly, (and sadly) you have to lower your standards to survive - and Jingthing you know that full well !

I have quoted thisbefore - first week of opening our restaurant , I shout through and order of pie, chips and beans. Two minutes later I look at the kitchen and see my missus with a bag of Talley garden peas. I shouts "since when have beans been <Snip!> green" ?

At that point I understood how difficult life would be. To a Thai (and others) of course beans are green! green beans, long beans, short beans, runner beans.... I should have requested "baked beans". Communication is a two-way thing.

I actually changed the menus after that.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 2

I have quoted thisbefore - first week of opening our restaurant , I shout through and order of pie, chips and beans. Two minutes later I look at the kitchen and see my missus with a bag of Talley garden peas. I shouts "since when have beans been &lt;deleted&gt; green" ?

At that point I understood how difficult life would be. To a Thai (and others) of course beans are green! green beans, long beans, short beans, runner beans.... I should have requested "baked beans". Communication is a two-way thing.

There are many kinds of beans.

I really enjoy cassoulet with goose fat.

Some terroir sausage and bacon on top, plus salt and black pepper and I would be silent for about 30 minutes.

I think the best in a restaurant for lossless communication are the numbers in the menu assorted with a precise written description in the kitchen detailing how to prepare the dish, including grammages to keep an eye on profitability.

I have quoted thisbefore - first week of opening our restaurant , I shout through and order of pie, chips and beans. Two minutes later I look at the kitchen and see my missus with a bag of Talley garden peas. I shouts "since when have beans been &lt;deleted&gt; green" ?

Some terroir sausage and bacon on top, plus salt and black pepper and I would be silent for about 30 minutes.

I think the best in a restaurant for lossless communication are the numbers in the menu assorted with a precise written description in the kitchen detailing how to prepare the dish, including grammages to keep an eye on profitability.

Plust photos......at least in the kitchen of what should be on the plate..and what it should look like. Too dangerous to have these where the diners can see them, they may expect too much.

We had numbers as well - but there are variants with almost every dish.

We even considered adopting the Neeroy's method of the plastic covered menus with tick boxes and a felt tip pen - theory, any error is on the part of the punter.

Took me about 1.5 seconds to dismiss that option.

We laboured on with trying to train the staff to:

1. Repeat the order back to the customer (the first chance to correct any 'misunderstandings')

2. When the food is delivered ask the customer if they everything they need (2nd chance....)

3. 5 mins later check with the customer that everything is OK.

A number of comfort zones were broken here if any of the above 3 happened. More often than not the staff 'bottled it' and managed none of the above (unless pushed).

I have to say that places like the Pig & Whistle do have a good understanding of Falang food - and service. We were in Isaan.

Misunderstandings are easy, A good friend waved his gravy boat declaring "yen, yen".

(I should explain that his gravy was luke warm and he wanted hot).

The waitress took the gravy boat, spoke with another member of staff and they both shrugged their shoulders and intimated that the Farang was a bit strange.

She then put ice cubes in the gravy boat for a few minutes and returned it to the customer. He was horrified.

Trying to be clever by using Thai was the initial problem. "Yen yen" - the staff thought he wanted it (more) cold.

As my missus pointed out - he should have said "mai ron" (not hot) and the girl would have understand.

As I said foreign language, foreign food. It did not occur to the staff that asking for cold gravy was unusual.

• Like 1

Private business, can choose whoever he wants or doesn't want in his establishment.

Is that a law?

So a taxi driver can refuse to take you?

Taxi drivers are bound by different regulations - hardly a good analogy in this case.

Plenty of threads previously about taxis refusing fares, not at all related to this thread.

We had numbers as well - but there are variants with almost every dish.

We even considered adopting the Neeroy's method of the plastic covered menus with tick boxes and a felt tip pen - theory, any error is on the part of the punter.

Took me about 1.5 seconds to dismiss that option.

We laboured on with trying to train the staff to:

1. Repeat the order back to the customer (the first chance to correct any 'misunderstandings')

This has also been proved to increase the rate of tipping. My mate's son (who works as a waiter in his Dad's restaurant) doubled his take home pay by repeating orders back to punters.

It is not rocket-science, is it ?

It is probably more important where there are Farang customers/Farang food.

Having said that, I have had staff at Thai restaurants read back the order - and the 2 items never appear smile.png

About the right to refuse customers,back in Pattaya about 20 years ago,I was surprised to see on the wall in one restaurant,following announcement under a "picture" of a pigs head: "No arabs to sit here" Also in Marine disco,no arabs were allowed to enter! I do not have a personal comment to these acts,except that I was,as I said,surprised that this could be legal...