Can You Legally Be Banned From Eating At A Restaurant?

Jingthing

I find it unbelievable that anyone would eat in an establishment, where the people that cook your food and serve your food, don't like you or want you there.

Yes I have come to my senses about that. I don't think it matters if they just don't "like" you (they're selling food and bev for a profit not inviting you to their home for cocktails), that seems irrelevant, but if they think you're a cretin, that's a bit much.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/624280-can-you-legally-be-banned-from-eating-at-a-restaurant/page-2#entry6181822

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No wonder the staff get confused!

I'm trying to read your post and i get confused????

It's their menu, dude. I didn't design their menu. If you're going to work there, it is your JOB to learn the menu, complicated or not.

• Like 1

I'm going to ignore the over the top personal attacks and give a specific example of a pattern of incompetence at that restaurant. One of their menu items offers clearly on their menu (which the waiters failed to bother to learn or understand)

Option 1

or

Option 2

ingredient

INSIDE the food item

If you want both options, you pay a surcharge fee.

It's clear on the menu.

I don't want either option INSIDE the food item as it makes a hot food item cold.

So I ask for Option 1 to be served OUTSIDE the food item.

They succeed in serving Option 1 outside the food item and neither Option 1 or Option 2 is inside the food item as requested.

Then EVERY TIME, I get surcharged as if I ordered Option 1 and Option 2.

I won't pay that. Only a sucker would. People get angry but I'm right. Then I'm in a weird position. I already ATE the food item, how can I then prove what was in the food item or not?

This happens every time. I've complained to management and they take off the charge but they never bother to train the waiters. Too complicated for them.

In what universe is it a major problem for a restaurant to deal with a customer ordering ONE already optional ingredient ON THE SIDE?

Dudes, this isn't about every restaurant I go to. As I said in my OP, I have only had serious conflicts with a TINY NUMBER of places in my life out of many hundreds of restaurants in Thailand, the USA, and travels globally.

I get it. People are having fun with this. But I know the truth about the restaurant I'm talking about and I am confident in my interpretation of my experience of it. If I COULD go into more detail I would reveal the place and could defend myself better against these garbage attacks, but I can't do that, so it is what is.

Cheers.

No wonder the staff get confused!

I'm trying to read your post and i get confused????

What is this thing about Item A with or without Item B inside or outside the food. It makes me wonder why people can't say something on the lines of , I asked them not to put the chopped chili in the dish but on a small plate or I wanted the french fries on a seperate plate so they wouldn't get soggy with the gravy. All the Item A in or outside the Items B or C thing does is make it more obvious that the whole thing is an attempted wind up.

Wish I had so little to do and so much spare time.

All the Item A in or outside the Items B or C thing does is make it more obvious that the whole thing is an attempted wind up.

It's a true situation I have been describing, but not sure where you're going with Item C. Only talked about optional ingredients: Items A and B.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing, you have a gift for creating controversial threads. Admit it, was this topic a wind-up?? rolleyes.gif

I have no need to make up stories about stuff that goes on in Pattaya, dude. Reality is more than enough strangeness for anyone.

• Like 2

Well, starting any thread based on personal experiences almost always attracts rude snipers, but in one sense this thread has been useful to me.

Before the thread, I was certainly aware of the risks of my food being sabotaged but I chose to be in denial about it, pushing it to the back of my mind. My desire to have local access to this type of food got the better of my rationality on that. Now I realize that at that place with such a history of conflict, having my food abused is not only possible (something I was certainly aware of) but potentially probable. Oh well ...

So, no, I don't need their grub that badly.

Edited by Jingthing

Apologies, you misunderstand me,

My aim is not to berate you, but just to try and direct you in a more amenable course.

totster smile.png

Just to let you know, not looking for "directors" in how to change my character at this stage of my life.

Well, this begs the question... why post here if you are not looking for 'direction' (lets call it friendly advice seeing as we are being civil) ?

totster :)

Well, this begs the question... why post here if you are not looking for 'direction' (lets call it friendly advice seeing as we are being civil) ?

totster smile.png

Read the O.P. One thing I definitely wasn't looking for (even if expected) was personal attacks, thank you very much. ermm.gif

Edited by Jingthing

All the Item A in or outside the Items B or C thing does is make it more obvious that the whole thing is an attempted wind up.

It's a true situation I have been describing, but not sure where you're going with Item C. Only talked about optional ingredients: Items A and B.

Fair comment. I should have put a smiley at the end smile.png

I understand he does not even have to call the police. He is entitled to use reasonable force to ensure you leave. If you want to see what reasonable force is see what US or UK police use to arrest. This is reasonable force as it is all they are allowed to use.

I'm having a hard time picturing this. Someone wants to order food and spend money being violently removed. I don't believe they would do that at this particular place. It's not a go go bar. I guess I think he was bluffing, thinking that the threat would scare me. We'll see. I'll avoid the place for a spell. Thanks for the feedback.

So just for amusement sake, Thailand having such weird slander/libel laws IF they did ban me could I take them to court for banning me without proper grounds, ruining my stellar reputation in the community?

It is not only Thailand, it is world wide, any business can refuse service and ask you to leave. Should you fail to do so, they can call the police and even have you charged with tresspassing or remove you applying reasonable physical force.

In civilized countries they can use a number of excuses such as rude behavior, aggressive manner, threatening voice etc etc etc

I guess at this point my lifetime record for being banned from restaurants stands at 1 and 1/2, as this one I'll rate as a half banning as it's voluntary based on intimidation / perceived threat of food tampering. I still think not bad for an international restaurant maven like myself.

post-37101-0-94534300-1362811051_thumb.j

Yes I do realize MOST people don't get banned from even ONE restaurant in their lives, but maybe you don't eat out as often as me? I could say that you haven't lived until you've been banned from a restaurant, but I wouldn't mean it.

Edited by Jingthing

I guess at this point my lifetime record for being banned from restaurants stands at 1 and 1/2, as this one I'll rate as a half banning as it's voluntary based on intimidation / perceived threat of food tampering. I still think not bad for an international restaurant maven like myself.

Then the statistical significance of this is that you've been on the receiving end of about 4,500 McJobs. :o

attachicon.giffish-and-chips-cartoon-649.jpg

Yes I do realize MOST people don't get banned from even ONE restaurant in their lives, but maybe you don't eat out as often as me? I could say that you haven't lived until you've been banned from a restaurant, but I wouldn't mean it.

Or may be some people do not go back again and again to restaurants where staff continuously get the order wrongthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Or may be some people do not go back again and again to restaurants where staff continuously get the order wrongthumbsup.gif

I don't usually either, which you would know, if you read the thread.

Then the statistical significance of this is that you've been on the receiving end of about 4,500 McJobs. ohmy.png

Funny, restaurant owners quite often seem to love me ... but maybe the staff is loving me short time in the back kitchen too much though, who can tell?

I don't usually either, which you would know, if you read the thread.

Usually is the operative wordbiggrin.png

Jingthing, on 07 Mar 2013 - 17:30, said:

manarak, on 07 Mar 2013 - 17:24, said:

Jingthing, on 07 Mar 2013 - 17:19, said:

uptheos, on 07 Mar 2013 - 17:16, said:

Private business, can choose whoever he wants or doesn't want in his establishment.

But he isn't the owner. I question his authority as a manager and if he isn't there how could they stop me from sitting down ?
yes, the manager acts as a proxy for the tenant of the premises who exercises property rights which include the ability to forbid access to any person.
OK, so you are saying they could call the police and the police would actually kick me out for sitting there (in their very pleasant premises) waiting to place an order?
Yes. It's private property. I don't know Thai law but common sense says it's their property (even if the manager only works there...he is in control). You have no right to be there. Even though it's open to the public, you have been specifically excluded. I think you've worn out your welcome. Move on....for a few months anyway. Edited by Jawnie

Can't for the life of me understand why Jingthing would ever want to return to this restaurant, unless it's the only restaurant within driving/riding distance from wherever he/she may be. Could you please let us know why you insist on going there?

Can't for the life of me understand why Jingthing would ever want to return to this restaurant, unless it's the only restaurant within driving/riding distance from wherever he/she may be. Could you please let us know why you insist on going there?

the only place in Pattaya offering this particular favorite food of JT. read the thread!

The type of food they are serving is not something I would ever cook myself. Period. And it has limited availability where I live. If there were lots of options I would certainly be happy to ban myself. The place is rarely busy so the idea that I'm hurting other customers is BS.

I agree this place thinks I am a pain the arse. That's kind of obvious. My perspective is that their menu is very poorly designed and they fail to train their waiters.

If the boss of the restaurant tells you to get out and you refuse to go, he may very well get six Thai friends to dish out their medicine, I know personally what kind of a guy you are, I sent you two PMs asking about one of your'e posts and you did not even have the courtesy to answer me. You are obviously not a nice person at all.