Can You Legally Be Banned From Eating At A Restaurant?

Jingthing

Private business, can choose whoever he wants or doesn't want in his establishment.

But he isn't the owner. I question his authority as a manager and if he isn't there how could they stop me from sitting down ?

yes, the manager acts as a proxy for the tenant of the premises who exercises property rights which include the ability to forbid access to any person.

OK, so you are saying they could call the police and the police would actually kick me out for sitting there (in their very pleasant premises) waiting to place an order?

Yes,

And if I want I can kick you out of my restaurant myself or by my manager if i'm not there.

Nobody can stop me as it is a private business and the police would help me ( to kick you out ) if requested.

Sorry but that is the reality, if you want to take this risk learn to cook and stay at home.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Restaurants here are often not as good as in the west. Even if a Thai orders mistakes often occur. Last holliday in the south we had a mistake in the food almost every meal while my gf ordered.

Its part of Thailand, either pay more for upscale or accept the occasional mistake. In general try not to ad to the confusion with special requests it may fail even more.

I just avoid places that make too much mistakes, obviously they dont learn or want to learn.

Not saying its right because it is not but going somewhere time and again knowing there is a large chance of mistake isn't bright either. If the mistake is too great i do let them correct it but if it often happens i just skip the place next time.

About the right to refuse customers,back in Pattaya about 20 years ago,I was surprised to see on the wall in one restaurant,following announcement under a "picture" of a pigs head: "No arabs to sit here" Also in Marine disco,no arabs were allowed to enter! I do not have a personal comment to these acts,except that I was,as I said,surprised that this could be legal...

not the same case at all - in this thread we are talking about the right to ban individual customers, not about discriminatory policies, which are different thing

About the right to refuse customers,back in Pattaya about 20 years ago,I was surprised to see on the wall in one restaurant,following announcement under a "picture" of a pigs head: "No arabs to sit here" Also in Marine disco,no arabs were allowed to enter! I do not have a personal comment to these acts,except that I was,as I said,surprised that this could be legal...

not the same case at all - in this thread we are talking about the right to ban individual customers, not about discriminatory policies, which are different thing

The OP`s question is:"Can you be legally banned from eating in a restaurant" I told about how some people were banned from eating in a restaurant.I would argue,that arabs are individuals too,if that is the krux of the matter.From what some people have said,it seems that the owner,or his representativ,can ban whoever they want,arab or not arab,and presumedly without the need to explain the reason for it.

The place is not Thai food and the prices are medium level. The owner is an expat but he is rarely there. I agree in general avoid places with a pattern of issues, especially as totally predictable as this place, they make the same overcharging errors again and again (it's about them not understanding their own menu) but they happen to offer some stuff I want not sold anywhere else in town and beyond my interest/capability in cooking it. I can and do cook but not everything and anything. I've already decided what happened with the last incident was just too much, that the (Thai) manager is a lunatic, and to just live without their grub. It's actually not that good anyway, just a type of food I want sometimes. Normally I might consider talking to an expat owner about this, but I have chatted him up before about a pattern of issues there (that could easily be fixed with some leadership), and he's a totally apathetic milquetoast.

Edited by Jingthing

I have quoted thisbefore - first week of opening our restaurant , I shout through and order of pie, chips and beans. Two minutes later I look at the kitchen and see my missus with a bag of Talley garden peas. I shouts "since when have beans been <deleted> green" ?

At that point I understood how difficult life would be. To a Thai (and others) of course beans are green! green beans, long beans, short beans, runner beans.... I should have requested "baked beans". Communication is a two-way thing.

I actually changed the menus after that.

There are many kinds of beans.

I really enjoy cassoulet with goose fat.

Some terroir sausage and bacon on top, plus salt and black pepper and I would be silent for about 30 minutes.

I think the best in a restaurant for lossless communication are the numbers in the menu assorted with a precise written description in the kitchen detailing how to prepare the dish, including grammages to keep an eye on profitability.

Plust photos......at least in the kitchen of what should be on the plate..and what it should look like. Too dangerous to have these where the diners can see them, they may expect too much.

For this reason we have pictures for every dish in our menu.

And those are the real pictures from the actual food served.

In this way you don't have misunderstandings, At least most the time that is!

You'd think this would be plainly obvious to most,

Sounds to me like you're a pain in the arse and they want rid of you.

Do them and yourself a favour and learn to cook your favourite dishes.

All of your finickiness probably increases the waiting time for other customers as well, so you're being selfish, too.

Plus, as someone rightly pointed out, that demiglaze on your next dish there might not be what you think it is....

open your own restaurant, then you can moan all day if something is wrong....oh wait a minute....there are no staff.....I really feel you need some serious help..or as already mentioned...learn to cook.whistling.gif

I'm going to ignore the over the top personal attacks and give a specific example of a pattern of incompetence at that restaurant. One of their menu items offers clearly on their menu (which the waiters failed to bother to learn or understand)

Option 1

or

Option 2

ingredient

INSIDE the food item

If you want both options, you pay a surcharge fee.

It's clear on the menu.

I don't want either option INSIDE the food item as it makes a hot food item cold.

So I ask for Option 1 to be served OUTSIDE the food item.

They succeed in serving Option 1 outside the food item and neither Option 1 or Option 2 is inside the food item as requested.

Then EVERY TIME, I get surcharged as if I ordered Option 1 and Option 2.

I won't pay that. Only a sucker would. People get angry but I'm right. Then I'm in a weird position. I already ATE the food item, how can I then prove what was in the food item or not?

This happens every time. I've complained to management and they take off the charge but they never bother to train the waiters. Too complicated for them.

In what universe is it a major problem for a restaurant to deal with a customer ordering ONE already optional ingredient ON THE SIDE?

Dudes, this isn't about every restaurant I go to. As I said in my OP, I have only had serious conflicts with a TINY NUMBER of places in my life out of many hundreds of restaurants in Thailand, the USA, and travels globally.

I get it. People are having fun with this. But I know the truth about the restaurant I'm talking about and I am confident in my interpretation of my experience of it. If I COULD go into more detail I would reveal the place and could defend myself better against these garbage attacks, but I can't do that, so it is what is.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

you do realize it is unwise to piss off the people preparing you food, don't you?

there are no shortage of ways they could seek revenge

I realize it and my concern about this particular restaurant messing with my food (after the last incident with the threats from the hothead manager) has been raised so high that as I've already noted, I'm staying away from that place. Like I said, the food isn't that good to begin with!

Edited by Jingthing

I'm going to ignore the over the top personal attacks and give a specific example of a pattern of incompetence at that restaurant. One of their menu items offers clearly on their menu (which the waiters failed to bother to learn or understand)

Option 1

or

Option 2

ingredient

INSIDE the food item

If you want both options, you pay a surcharge fee.

It's clear on the menu.

I don't want either option INSIDE the food item as it makes a hot food item cold.

So I ask for Option 1 to be served OUTSIDE the food item.

They succeed in serving Option 1 outside the food item and neither Option 1 or Option 2 is inside the food item as requested.

Then EVERY TIME, I get surcharged as if I ordered Option 1 and Option 2.

I won't pay that. Only a sucker would. People get angry but I'm right. Then I'm in a weird position. I already ATE the food item, how can I then prove what was in the food item or not?

This happens every time. I've complained to management and they take off the charge but they never bother to train the waiters. Too complicated for them.

In what universe is it a major problem for a restaurant to deal with a customer ordering ONE already optional ingredient ON THE SIDE?

Dudes, this isn't about every restaurant I go to. As I said in my OP, I have only had serious conflicts with a TINY NUMBER of places in my life out of many hundreds of restaurants in Thailand, the USA, and travels globally.

I get it. People are having fun with this. But I know the truth about the restaurant I'm talking about and I am confident in my interpretation of my experience of it. If I COULD go into more detail I would reveal the place and could defend myself better against these garbage attacks, but I can't do that, so it is what is.

Cheers.

discussing this without naming the items discussed is well beyond pointless

Edited by candypants

discussing this without naming the items discussed is well beyond pointless

But I can't name it. I don't make the rules here. People have made wild and absurd accusations at me, implying I am getting into big fights with every (or most) restaurant I go to. By providing detail about a pattern of conflict with this one place, I think I have shown there is a RATIONALE behind my conflict with the ONE place. That doesn't seem pointless to me. Yes I know people would like to know the place, but that's not happening.

Edited by Jingthing

ok, here is the thing, I'm just not sure why you go through the hassle and stress of it all, wouldn't it just be better for all concerned if you call it a lost cause and don't give them your business ?

totster :)

• Like 1

ok, here is the thing, I'm just not sure why you go through the hassle and stress of it all, wouldn't it just be better for all concerned if you call it a lost cause and don't give them your business ?

totster smile.png

OK, here is the thing.

IF you had bothered to read the thread, you would ALREADY know that I've already explained my reasons for wanting access to the restaurant in question. Perhaps you were preoccupied being judgmental to have gotten that, so just for you, I will REPEAT the points:

1. The restaurant serves a TYPE of food that I like very much, even though not a wonderful version, there is no other local option for me, so I've deemed it better than nothing.

2. It is not a TYPE of food I would want to or feel capable of cooking myself.

Note: I understand not all people CARE about food or understand that some people do care, and some people do desire specific kinds of foods sometimes, but trust me, there are lots of us; otherwise all the international varieties of food in Thailand would be out of business.

3. Again, if you bothered to READ the thread, you would have learned LONG AGO, I've already decided to "self ban" myself from this restaurant before letting the hothead manager ban me and/or mess with my food. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if they've messed with my food in the past. Yes I should have quit the place before now. That's my mistake.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/624280-can-you-legally-be-banned-from-eating-at-a-restaurant/?p=6181822

A thread is a live thing. It helps to READ it before jumping to silly conclusions.

Yes the loss of access to this place (now voluntarily) is a minor loss to me and I wish it hadn't come to this, but it has.

Now I am feeling kind of happy that their food kind of SUCKS because I would really be sad if it was great food!

Edited by Jingthing

Now I am feeling kind of happy that their food kind of SUCKS because I would really be sad if it was great food!

Well surely that's a good outcome.

While I understand that you are upset with previous comments I made I still stand by them, regretfully I didn't express myself in the nicest way.

There is no need for you to repeat what has been said in the thread, I have read it in it's entirety, but this thread also follows the same track as many others from you that I have read. While I'm sure you are not the nightmare customer that it seems from reading through your posts, it has to be said that you seem to be disappointed more often than not (maybe I don't read all of your topics). I have learnt not to expect too much from restaurants here especially those that purport to sell food from a certain region or type.

My advice (and I offer this on friendly terms) is maybe to lower your expectations, but also enjoy the food you are served at establishments that currently live up to your expectations. It's got to be the most stress free and more enjoyable way for you to feed your love of food.

totster :)