Top Thai Judge Questions ' Meddling Moves'

webfact

Top judge questions 'meddling moves'
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Administrative Courts have enjoyed the trust of the people, at more than 90 per cent, in the past 12 years, but the coalition lawmakers are suspiciously determined to dismantle the judicial system, a top court official said.

"It is a big puzzle why the coalition wants to meddle with or transform the judiciary," Supreme Administrative Court president Hassavut Vititviriyakul said.

Hassavut made the remarks in response to speculation that the charter rewrite, once activated, would aim to disband the administrative judicial system in order to make it a part of the courts of justice.

He said his courts had consistently won the highest approval rating from the public and he saw no justification to combine the administrative and justice courts.

Last year saw an unprecedented jump with 11,635 administrative cases in the judicial docket, of which some 9,208 verdicts were handed down.

Of the total litigation, 2,753 cases were related to the construction zoning, followed by environment (2,173 cases), personnel dispute (1,689 cases) and property repossession (1,662 cases).

Songkhla had the highest litigation on environment with 1,450 cases.

The top five ministries involved in administrative disputes are Interior, Transport, Education, Agriculture and Finance.

Work plans for this year would focus on simplifying the procedures for the people to access the judicial review.

The courts would also try to clear the backlog of cases, setting the deadline for complete the decisions on cases lodged since 2009.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-09

The moral & ethical pinnacle of Thailand. The judges are fantastic paragons of virtue which all Thai people should look up to.

I think they do and PT/TS see it as a barrier and threat to total power and control - how can there be a more powerful entity than the elected government - the redshirts don't quite understand it's place in democracy - we have no control so get rid of it

• Like 1

The moral & ethical pinnacle of Thailand. The judges are fantastic paragons of virtue which all Thai people should look up to.

I think they do and PT/TS see it as a barrier and threat to total power and control - how can there be a more powerful entity than the elected government - the redshirts don't quite understand it's place in democracy - we have no control so get rid of it

You are joking i take it? you really believe the judges are not corrupt. Have you read the news this week? Regardless of whether PTP, Democrats whoever is leading the Government, they are as bent as you like. As are the PTP, Democrats, police, army etc

• Like 2

Of course theres corruption,that's clear-yet why the verdicts against Thaksin and TRTs MPs against Samak and most recently they give the phone number and address of a judge from the same court to their rabble.There are judges (brave men)too who act according to the law-why do you think they want to scrap this judicial arm....So nothing or no one can stand in their way.

• Like 1

For the record, i don't agree with getting rid of them. I would be interested which pollster they used which gave the 90% approval rating.

After all, all this is is speculation from a court official.

Edited by smutcakes

If this judge really doesn't understand why the government is trying to dismantle the courts then he should give up the law altogether.

I think he understands it very clearly, the fact that the High Court is making a public statement on the matter speaks very loudly indeed - The courts are not political machines - there are limitations to how and what they can say on matters like this - most people realise he's giving the nod and doing so in public is quite extreme

• Like 1

You are joking i take it? you really believe the judges are not corrupt. Have you read the news this week? Regardless of whether PTP, Democrats whoever is leading the Government, they are as bent as you like. As are the PTP, Democrats, police, army etc

More allegations from you once again without a shred of evidence given.

What a good little RedShirt supporter you are.

What allegation?

Do you want me to dig up the old thread where the judges ruled in favor of PTP that the constitution amendment was not illegal and see TVF comments on the impartiality??

Were you in Thailand a couple of years ago when a particular recording came out?

smutcakes I was also in Thailand when 2 of Thaksins lawyers delivered 2M baht for the judges, were caught and went to jail.

Where were you at that time?

In all of your posts you imply, make allegations that ONLY the Democrats are dirty and that the Red Shirts and PTP are as pure as the driven snow and they can and have never done anything wrong.

When you are challenged to provide evidence you go quiet or change the subject.

• Like 1

smutcakes I was also in Thailand when 2 of Thaksins lawyers delivered 2M baht for the judges, were caught and went to jail.

Where were you at that time?

In all of your posts you imply, make allegations that ONLY the Democrats are dirty and that the Red Shirts and PTP are as pure as the driven snow and they can and have never done anything wrong.

When you are challenged to provide evidence you go quiet or change the subject.

I think if you went through my posts, you would clearly see i have often slated the PTP Government as awful and corrupt. As I have Thaksin.

Regarding the Thai courts I recall back in 2001 The Orphan(the UN.is not my father)wasn't in power long when the constitutional court brought charges against him,2 days later the Thai airways 737 jet he was supposed to travel on exploded on the Tarmac at Don muang.The NTSB found traces of explosives But this residue, like all other evidence of a bomb, disappeared in a hurry.There was an outpouring of sympathy for the PM(not so much for the dead crew member).All charges in the case were droped.....

Regarding the Thai courts I recall back in 2001 The Orphan(the UN.is not my father)wasn't in power long when the constitutional court brought charges against him,2 days later the Thai airways 737 jet he was supposed to travel on exploded on the Tarmac at Don muang.The NTSB found traces of explosives But this residue, like all other evidence of a bomb, disappeared in a hurry.There was an outpouring of sympathy for the PM(not so much for the dead crew member).All charges in the case were droped.....

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2001/010411.htm

I guess your right why should there be judicial oversight of politics after all who is more trustworthy than a politician. Except maybe a used car salesman.

PS: This is satire

Edited by waza

The writer of this article must be either a complete moron, must have lived under a stone for the last 12 years or must be a Nation journalist who write down everything their bosses tell them to do so. There is no way 90% of the people trust the courts, let alone these kinds of courts. Thai society is dived and these top judges have rubber stamped coups and lock ups of people accused under article 112. The percentage of people that trust top judges must be in the low teens.

The writer of this article must be either a complete moron, must have lived under a stone for the last 12 years or must be a Nation journalist who write down everything their bosses tell them to do so. There is no way 90% of the people trust the courts, let alone these kinds of courts. Thai society is dived and these top judges have rubber stamped coups and lock ups of people accused under article 112. The percentage of people that trust top judges must be in the low teens.

The administrative court has SFA to do with LM cases, and quite often comes down in favour of "little people" protesting against the actions of large corporations, the wealthy and hi-so (and the government which is all 3). That this might inspire some admiration and even trust seems beyond you.

• Like 1

How did politicians and police fare in your poll?

"Thai society is dived" as in boxer taking a "dive" (bribe) eg. corrupt?

The Administrative Court does not handle Article 112 cases.

• Like 1

To reiterate yes corruption is very prevalent but there are some good people(I've been lucky to know) and some good judges (TRT 111 etc)without whom Thailand would be much the worse and more akin to totalitarian state.there is hope(granted very little).

By the time one reads through the TV blogs after reading the article, something always seems to me to get lost in translation. The article is not what it seems, the colour of the page changes, too many ads distract thought process and overall means I have to go back over and read again... and again., coffee1.gif