Blogger Richard Barrow Tweets Pic Of Corrupt Thai Official

george

This story offers an intriguing way to reduce corruption. Individuals who think they can extract bribes will soon loose their power once they understand they can easily be videotaped and exposed to a wide audience.

There is no proof, so the only thing you get is a defamation lawsuit.

If there was video and audio of the demand for a bribe, that would be proof. You wouldn't even need a trial; just upload it to youtube and let the public shame of it works its magic on the officials who claim to be of high prestige and good reputation,

British Ambassador to Thailand Mark Kent joined Barrow on his anti-corruption movement on Twitter by tweeting: "UK Bribery Act applies to UK citizens overseas. We encourage any UK citizen who is asked for a bribe to report it."

Report it to whom? The local police? The British embassy in Bangkok? Why on earth would they care?

Fair play to the guy if this is a true story.

Maybe Mark Kent wishes to remind the british expats that is ilegal to offer or give a bribe in any country.

yes and prostitution is illegal here too, glad we dont have to report this

• Like 1

While i admire his bravery and stand against corruption, i also find it silly in a number of ways.

To start with corruption is a way of life here, like it or not.

The only way to get things done fast and easy is to pay someone to do it fast and easy.

The amount was rather small, so lets hope he has all his paperwork in 100% order, because rest assured he would be audited in the near future.

Yes some Thai have supported him, but just like with everything else in Thailand it passes by pretty fast.

The next year he will try to renew his visa or WP he may find a number of obstacles, not to mention being refused, as WP and Visa is not granted but up to the discretion of issuing officer.

All those claiming to have never paid any bribes, either too oblivious or talking out of their backside.

Talking out of their backside??? Well, you yourself may be daft enough to pay out the bribes and keep the system running, but some of us ARE smart enough to be able to keep from paying bribes. 17 years in Thailand, and I've been asked, but I always politely refused and never had a problem.

Slip #124

Slip quotes Mr Barrow "I have this sinking feeling that Immigration will

refuse to renew my visa now & they will kick me out of the country."

No chance, because immigration is extremely worried about being considered

corrupt. Immigration goes by the book. If Mr Barrow qualifies, he will get his

visa. Reference: personal communication with a captain of the immigration

department.

Please tell your Captain how delighted the 'run of the mill' foreigner is delighted to hear that news.

British Ambassador to Thailand Mark Kent joined Barrow on his anti-corruption movement on Twitter by tweeting: "UK Bribery Act applies to UK citizens overseas. We encourage any UK citizen who is asked for a bribe to report it."

Report it to whom? The local police? The British embassy in Bangkok? Why on earth would they care?

Maybe Mark Kent wishes to remind the british expats that is ilegal to offer or give a bribe in any country.

But corporate hospitality is fine :)

• Like 1

I've been working undercover on that issue for a decade now. About to blow the doors off of that seedy underworld. Any day now... any day.

• Like 1

If it is THE Richard Barrow who's been in Thailand since 1998 and who has a wide network of Thai oriented websites which presumably generate him quite an income then he appears to have defecated on his own doorstep...

• Like 1

Do not you realize this officers family wwill now starve on his regular salary

i personally dont give a s..t of that corrupt and i couldn't care less about his family.

As he's an official he has many advantages that come add to his salary.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

UPDATE:

RichardBarrow: British citizens, if you try to bribe a Thai government official here in Thailand you may face imprisonment in the UK http://t.co/nB3jEPq9mG

Very good point, but what will the UK government's representatives in Thailand do to assist those who refuse to pay???

Absolutely diddly squat. They are interested only in promoting business here - business based on a law of contract that is practically unenforceable in Thailand - against Thais anyway.

The British Embassy has become shameful in just about every way when it comes to helping their citizens abroad.

Do not you realize this officers family wwill now starve on his regular salary

Really? I don't think so. tongue.png

Sure, the Thai wage is much lower than ours but starving is a little bit of an exaggeration. He's working for the government so he's actually got an alright wage for a Thai national. tongue.png

But but but...what about the payments for his BMW? whistling.gif

Good on yer Barrow, but watch your back.

It's comments like this that make me throw up a little in my mouth. "Watch your back"

I hope this guy keeps exposing the people that are extorting and fight the good fight, protest and survive, its that simple!

If more people expose the extortion and corruption it would end.

Break the chain people, don't be a slave to corruption and greed!

By making statements like these I am guessing you haven't been in Thailand long to understand it's dangers.

Great. I've got a car cam with sound in my car just waiting for the cops to ask for a bribe or another vehicle to cause a crash Everyone should do the same. This is something we can do to help stop corruption instead of whinging about it all the time.

Maybe. On the other hand, there's something to be said for being able to give a cop a few hundred baht and be on your way, rather than spending time in traffic court and paying more. Unlikely to get out of it so cheaply in the western world.

I understand your logic but except for one time every other time I have been stopped by a BiB it has been a generated infraction. They seem much more motivated around Songran and Christmas for holiday funds. My usual "infraction" costs 200 baht in Bkk. In Phuket it's 300 baht. I haven't been scammed in Pattaya yet which is a shock to me.

Good on yer Barrow, but watch your back.

It's comments like this that make me throw up a little in my mouth. "Watch your back"

I hope this guy keeps exposing the people that are extorting and fight the good fight, protest and survive, its that simple!

If more people expose the extortion and corruption it would end.

Break the chain people, don't be a slave to corruption and greed!

By making statements like these I am guessing you haven't been in Thailand long to understand it's dangers.

Well if he lives by these statements while he probably not be here long or he will have a lot of issues while he is here.

• Like 1

What are the odds that Barrow's twitter account will be blocked soon in Thailand?

Or that he will soon face a trumped-up charge that will inspire him to leave the kingdom. If he doesn't develop a longevity.

They should not call it corruption, they should just call it "the Thai way" and you must respect your host country. This way at least when returning to a home country that has some semblance of a legal system we aren't hit with accusations of contributing to corruption while abroad.

This was done in the US under Ronald Reagen: it had been illegal to bribe politicians, but now it is ok to do so under the guise of a political action committee. Shining city on a hill...

• Like 1

youngXpat, on 12 Mar 2013 - 03:37, said:

NanLaew, on 12 Mar 2013 - 03:33, said:

Haydn, on 12 Mar 2013 - 01:16, said:

Next time I go to do 90 day reporting I am going to take a camera --Last week I saw a farange police volunteer take a passport with 500 bt in it from a farange at the door ,---jump the queue of about 40 people waiting for the 90 day reporting at Soi 5 Immigration Pattaya and get that passport checked and paper stamped straight away

You have personally witnessed how your regular Pattaya Immigration grind can be blissfully reduced to a few minutes and you want to bring a camera next time? Try 500 baht <deleted>!
Agreed.

And you are p***ing and moaning about 500bht to save you a long wait?

Not pissing and moaning about anything. Just wondering why you don't use the 500 baht bung as well. Unless that's a bit expensive for you of course.

Let's hope this poster isn't British as he will be breaking British law by engaging in graft and corruption in a foreign country.

• Like 1

Fgis, on 12 Mar 2013 - 01:05, said:

People who complain about corruption should go home. I like it and will stay here until it works this way !

Thanks fgis for a truly insightful and profound post. It's great to know there are members of this forum with such tolerant and understanding views. Edited by watcharacters

If it is THE Richard Barrow who's been in Thailand since 1998 and who has a wide network of Thai oriented websites which presumably generate him quite an income then he appears to have defecated on his own doorstep...

They won't touch him.

I think Richard Barrow took a calculated risk that he is well-known by both Thais (readers, government, educational community, etc.) and foreigners. Having read his blogs and other websites over ten years, it is evident to me that he has plenty of friends in high places. So well-connected, in fact, that the authorities would not risk further loss of face by banning/deporting/refuse his visa.

Thailand has just too much to lose by jumping all over this guy. If they did, he could do some REAL serious damage to Thailand's reputation via all the social media and internet outlets he controls or contributes to.

They know it, and he knows it.

I'd like to think you're right but at the end of the day far more influential people than Mr Barrow have been bunged out - directly or subtly - when they've crossed the line.

Were he a diplomat then maybe he'd scrape it, but if they turn this into a "Thai vs Farang' issue, then even his high fallooting Thai contacts will suddenly be 'unavailable' or 'lose their phones'....

I actually quite like the fact that I can cut out miles of red tape by bunging about a few thousand baht. It really makes life here so much easier.

Really I wish the worst to the people who complain the system here ! Just go home ! You are less than nothing in this country and you should accept it as it is or leave ! If we all get in trouble because of 1 guy I hope he will feel pain until the rest of his life.

• Like 1

I've been working undercover on that issue for a decade now. About to blow the doors off of that seedy underworld. Any day now... any day.

Oh really? please tell us how they will say to all thai workers which benefit directl or inderctly from the prostitution?

Let us know how your undercover investigation took place?

Yeah know what you are dealing with. I did the same thing a few years ago. Problem was the dog ate my homework smile.png. Had to abandon the project.

Really I wish the worst to the people who complain the system here ! Just go home ! You are less than nothing in this country and you should accept it as it is or leave ! If we all get in trouble because of 1 guy I hope he will feel pain until the rest of his life.

I've got a voodoo doll but I need his hair to make it work. Can you help with that?

youngXpat, on 12 Mar 2013 - 03:37, said:

NanLaew, on 12 Mar 2013 - 03:33, said:

Haydn, on 12 Mar 2013 - 01:16, said:

Next time I go to do 90 day reporting I am going to take a camera --Last week I saw a farange police volunteer take a passport with 500 bt in it from a farange at the door ,---jump the queue of about 40 people waiting for the 90 day reporting at Soi 5 Immigration Pattaya and get that passport checked and paper stamped straight away

You have personally witnessed how your regular Pattaya Immigration grind can be blissfully reduced to a few minutes and you want to bring a camera next time? Try 500 baht <deleted>!

Agreed.

And you are p***ing and moaning about 500bht to save you a long wait?

Not pissing and moaning about anything. Just wondering why you don't use the 500 baht bung as well. Unless that's a bit expensive for you of course.

500 is not a big problem but it becomes mandatory and others have to wait longer because of it so its hurting others. Now if there as someone extra employed for the 500bt row that would be different in this case your just screwing others over.