Thai Amnesty Law Could Free Many Convicted For Arson Attacks

webfact

SPECIAL REPORT
Amnesty law could free many convicted for arson attacks

The Nation

Damage to provincial halls, TV station estimated at hundreds of millions of baht

BANGKOK: -- If the ruling Pheu Thai Party and red-shirt leaders succeed in pushing through an amnesty law, those involved in the 2010 torching of provincial halls and a state-run TV station in the Northeast could also benefit.

Hundreds of people, apparently acting on orders from red-shirt leaders in Bangkok, stormed into the provincial hall premises in the four Northeast provinces of Udon Thani, Ubon Ratchathani, Khon Kaen and Mukdahan on May 19, 2010, and set fire to the buildings. The NBT television station in Khon Kaen was also a target of the arson attacks.

May 19 was the day when red-shirt leaders ended their 10-week anti-government rally in Bangkok. Many buildings in the capital, including CentralWorld near the main protest site, were torched and looted by rioters.

More than 90 people were killed and about 2,000 others were injured during the political unrest that began in mid-March that year. Among the casualties were protesters, soldiers, policemen, passers-by, locals and foreign journalists.

The damage caused to Udon Thani's provincial hall and nearby administrative buildings was estimated at Bt203 million. Ubon Ratchathani's historically significant provincial hall was severely damaged by fire and the damage was estimated at Bt92 million.

In Khon Kaen, the torching of the old and new provincial hall buildings caused damage worth estimated at Bt135 million. The state-run NBT TV station suffered damage estimated at Bt225 million when its Khon Kaen station building and broadcast equipment were set on fire.

Damage to the Mukdahan Provincial Hall was estimated at Bt85 million.

Many of those involved in the Northeast arson attacks were arrested and tried by the respective provincial courts, while others remain at large.

Several were found guilty of setting fire to state agency premises and given long prison terms ranging from 20 years to more than 33 years. They were also ordered by court to pay compensation of several millions of baht for the damage.

Others arrested in connection with the raids on provincial halls were given less severe punishment, ranging from six months to four and a half years, as there was no evidence to prove they had been directly involved in the arson attacks. Most of these people, who were found guilty of trespassing on a state agency's compound or violating the emergency law, state of emergency law, have already completed their jail terms. Some others who were arrested by local police or Department of Special Investigation were acquitted due to lack of evidence.

Meanwhile, those serving lengthy jail terms are now in the process of appealing.

On October 28, 2011, the Udon Thani Provincial Court tried 22 people held in connection with the 2010 arson attack.

Five of them - all men - were found guilty of committing arson and were given sentences ranging from 11 years and three months to 22 and a half years.

Three of them - Athit Saithong, Decha Komkham and Buarien Pangsa - were ordered by court to pay a combined compensation of Bt142 million, and two others - Wanchai Raksa-nguansilp and Kittipong Chaikang - were told to pay a combined compensation of Bt57.7 million. Wanchai died in December last year while in detention at the Lak Si special prison in Bangkok.

Four other people were found guilty of violating the emergency law, trespassing into a state agency's compound and causing damage to property. One was sentenced to four and half years, and the three others got two and a half years each. All of them were ordered to pay Bt20,000 each in compensation for the damage caused.

Thirteen others in the Udon Thani case were sentenced to six months in jail for violating the emergency law and all of them had completed their terms.

In the Ubon Ratchathani case, 21 people were sued in connection with the provincial hall raid.

On August 24, 2011, the Ubon Ratchathani Provincial Court sentenced four of them to 33 years and four months in prison each for committing arson and four others to two years in prison for trespassing. Another got a year in prison and three others eight months for violating the emergency law. Nine other defendants were acquitted.

On October 27, 2011, the Mukdahan Provincial Court sentenced 13 of the 29 defendants brought to court to 20 years in jail each for setting the provincial hall ablaze, damaging state property and trespassing into a state agency's compound. Sixteen others were acquitted.

In Khon Kaen, about 300 people were wanted in connection with the arson attack on the provincial hall but only three have been arrested and taken to court. Local prosecutors said they planned to sue another 39 people who are at large.

Regarding the NBT case, only one of the more than 200 people wanted has been arrested. The defendant was sentenced to two years in jail for trespassing and violating the emergency law.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-13

Why is this a special report? Why the headline? Why report this story at all? It's common sense isn't it? The Nation is just now realizing this? They would do better reporting with 100 monkeys randomly hitting the type writer keys...at least once in a while something would make sense.

If the ruling Pheu Thai Party and red-shirt leaders succeed in pushing through an amnesty law, those involved in the 2010 torching of provincial halls and a state-run TV station in the Northeast could also benefit.

stormed into the provincial hall premises in the four Northeast provinces of Udon Thani, Ubon Ratchathani

no problem, give them amnesty rolleyes.gif

Regardless of the claim,

I just don't understand how any arson could be considered for amnesty.

He didn't mean to

1) get an empty bottle,

2) fill it with petrol

3) insert a wick

4) light it and

5) throw it at a building/vehicle/person of their choice?

I could see in the heat of the moment,

picking up a rock, and throwing it at someone.

but arson shows planning.

• Like 1

AFAIK those convicted and sentenced to long terms of incarceration for these arson attacks have been freed on government (PTP) paid bail pending appeal - something which appears to be an inordinately long time coming. IMHO the appeals will be delayed indefinitely in the hope that an amnesty will save them serving any serious time, and this is some unholy pact to pervert the course of justice.

I can just see it now...Amnesty Law gets passed and the already convicted people have the convictions erased and they also get monetary compensation for the judicial hardship they were put through.

I'm waiting for the next " special reports"...... "Amnesty law may affect future cases of arson and terrorism".."The Nation uncovers possible problems with granting amnesty to terrorists"

Why not report that when it rains, there is a possibility of getting wet.

Yes! Free them all... They will restart the same shit they did asap. !!!Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa appthey were paid thugs....they'll restart it when their paymaster want them to restart. So at this government no risk, if they loose the next election than there will be fire again.

Yes extremely correct ! I agree with your quote. Even it's highly recomended to dont talk politics in this Country I will only say that the postcard's picture of the "thailand paradise"(sea sex & sun) that many foreigners have in mind is a bit Obsolete these years...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Obviously just pointing out that arsonists under the political umbrella may be freed under an amnesty law is identical to reporting on rain and getting wet. To some at least.

Personally I have no problem with amnesty to all deserving, assuming someone will explain to me how those deserving are defined and I can reasonably agree with the criteria :-)

• Like 1

Yes! Free them all... They will restart the same shit they did asap. !!!Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa appthey were paid thugs....they'll restart it when their paymaster want them to restart. So at this government no risk, if they loose the next election than there will be fire again.

Yes extremely correct ! I agree with your quote. Even it's highly recomended to dont talk politics in this Country I will only say that the postcard's picture of the "thailand paradise"(sea sex & sun) that many foreigners have in mind is a bit Obsolete these years...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

well for tourists this picture is still valid. Friends of mine just came to Thailand...going on an island and than a few days shopping in Bangkok. For them it is still that paradise and the worst that usually happen is that the tuk tuk overcharges them.

Only for us expats the rotten system below it is visible.

Arson is not up for debate , you burn someone out , you get caught you do the time. All these fruits want is to get out of something they don't want , Jail.bah.gif

I think it is for debate....

The damage caused...

Bt203 million...

Bt92 million...

Bt135 million...

Bt225 million...

Bt85 million...

a 740,000,000.00 Baht check-bin for taxpayers. ermm.gif

I wonder what the check-bin was for Thaksin funding the insurrection?

I don't understand something relating to this...

Here's a prior ThaiVisa/The Nation report from last year on a group of those already convicted of arson and trespassing being granted bail!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/565561-mukdahan-court-grants-bail-to-13-red-shirts/

Where I come from, monetary bail is only available to guarantee the release of an accused prior to the final verdict in their case. Where I come from, in criminal cases, once you've been convicted, you can't seek release on bail even while your attorneys might be appealing a case. Once convicted, you sit in jail/prison until you've completed your sentence or an appeal is granted that overturns your sentence.

In the various articles on the prior convictions, the lawyers for the convicted Red Shirts always said they planned to appeal their convictions. But I haven't seen any outcomes on any of those supposed planned appeals.

So how is it that convicted arsonists here are being granted bail releases?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Here's a prior ThaiVisa/The Nation report from last year on a group of those already convicted of arson and trespassing being granted bail!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/565561-mukdahan-court-grants-bail-to-13-red-shirts/

Where I come from, monetary bail is only available to guarantee the release of an accused prior to the final verdict in their case. Where I come from, in criminal cases, once you've been convicted, you can't seek release on bail even while your attorneys might be appealing a case. Once convicted, you sit in jail/prison until you've completed your sentence or an appeal is granted that overturns your sentence.

In the various articles on the prior convictions, the lawyers for the convicted Red Shirts always said they planned to appeal their convictions. But I haven't seen any outcomes on any of those supposed planned appeals.

Ah! You must be from Kansas, Dorothy.

wink.png

Kamnan Poh was granted and released on bail while he appealed a premeditated murder conviction.

Potjaman was free on bail following a conviction for tax evasion.

She dragged out her appeals case and stayed free on bail, without turning fugitive like Kamnan, for over three years.

Release on bail following conviction is a rather different system from many places, but it's frequently encountered when involving the elite, societal or criminal, convict.

Kamnan Poh was granted and released on bail while he appealed a premeditated murder conviction.

Potjaman was free on bail following a conviction for tax evasion.

She dragged out her appeals case and stayed free on bail, without turning fugitive like Kamnan, for over three years.

Release on bail following conviction is a rather different system from many places, but it's frequently encountered when involving the elite, societal or criminal, convict.

In Potjaman's case I think we can include the description of ammart and phrai to the chagrin of the Thaksin/red shirt apologists.

• Like 1

Obviously just pointing out that arsonists under the political umbrella may be freed under an amnesty law is identical to reporting on rain and getting wet. To some at least.

Personally I have no problem with amnesty to all deserving, assuming someone will explain to me how those deserving are defined and I can reasonably agree with the criteria :-)

Well thats very worthy of you (and buchholz, seeing as he has liked your little homily) allowing the Thais the benefit of your so very obvious independance to pass judgement as long as they explain to you! what the terms are for an act or acts you know very little about, and then deciding whether to grant your agreement with that criteria. And all with that smug little smiley face to show them you're you really aren't so arrogant as you appear to be when passing judgement on their problems.

Well thats very worthy of you (and buchholz, seeing as he has liked your little homily) allowing the Thais the benefit of your so very obvious independance to pass judgement as long as they explain to you! what the terms are for an act or acts you know very little about, and then deciding whether to grant your agreement with that criteria. And all with that smug little smiley face to show them you're you really aren't so arrogant as you appear to be when passing judgement on their problems.

My dear mutt, first of all let me thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate that. Mind you I have a few things to say on your remarks.

For one my 'homily' is my opinion to which I hope you will accept I'm entltled to. I cannot agree with an amnesty if I don't know details, terms and all that. This is independent of whether it applies to something back in my country of birth or here in Thailand.

Secondly since I'm a foreigner in Thailand my opinion and whether or not I agree doesn't matter much. As such it seems strange to suggest I'm condescending because I'd like to understand what this is all about before saying whether in my opinion I can agree or not.

Thirdly this forum gives members who are mostly foreigners a chance to voice their opinions. That's nice, isn't it? Even you can voice your opinion on the topic. Just attacking a poster for his opinion is not really nice. But then you knew that, didn't you, my dear mutt wink.png

My dear mutt, first of all let me thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate that. Mind you I have a few things to say on your remarks.

For one my 'homily' is my opinion to which I hope you will accept I'm entltled to. I cannot agree with an amnesty if I don't know details, terms and all that. This is independent of whether it applies to something back in my country of birth or here in Thailand.

Secondly since I'm a foreigner in Thailand my opinion and whether or not I agree doesn't matter much. As such it seems strange to suggest I'm condescending because I'd like to understand what this is all about before saying whether in my opinion I can agree or not.

Thirdly this forum gives members who are mostly foreigners a chance to voice their opinions. That's nice, isn't it? Even you can voice your opinion on the topic. Just attacking a poster for his opinion is not really nice. But then you knew that, didn't you, my dear mutt wink.png

dear mutt, in addition to deriding you for having an opinion, completely overlooks that the Thai politicians involved themselves also don't know the specifics of the amnesty bills.

It was funny to see the mention of "likes" as I haven't seen that brought up since phiphidon did so routinely.

Edited by Buchholz

Case of Central World arson to be ruled in late March

Sun, 17/02/2013 - 14:33 | by prachatai

The South Bangkok Criminal Court has scheduled 25 March to give

its ruling on the Central World arson case during the political unrest

on 19 May 2010.

The remaining defendants in this case are Saichon

Phaebua, 30, and Phinit Channarong, 28; two juveniles were already

acquitted by the Central Juvenile and Family Court late last year.

Phinit

was arrested by police on the afternoon of 19 May 2010 along with many

other red shirts inside the shopping mall. He and 6 others, including

two women, were charged with robbery, use of arms against the

authorities, and violating the Emergency Decree. In December 2011, they

were sentenced to 6 months in prison for violating the Emergency

Decree, but were acquitted on the other charges, except one man who was

found guilty of robbery and was given another three years in prison.

Saichon

was arrested on 7 June 2010 at Sanam Luang by about 10 policemen. He

testified in court that he was physically abused by the police during

and after the arrest, and was forced to confess.

Both Phinit and Saichon have been detained without bail since their arrests.

MORE:

The Prachatai article includes some interesting background on the two police defense witnesses in the arson case that wasn't mentioned in the BKK Post's coverage.

As for the police major:

In his testimony as a defence witness, Pol Maj Sa-ngiam Samranrat, 61, a
local red-shirt leader in Chumphon province and currently a political
employee at the Secretariat of the Prime Minister, said that he had
opened a shop selling food and red-shirt merchandise at the Imperial
World shopping mall on Lad Phrao, and had hired Saichon as a vendor.

He insisted that the defendant was at the shop during 12-19 May 2010.

He suspected that Saichon might have been arrested because of his
connection to him. He himself was wanted by the Department of Special
Investigation on charges of terrorism after the unrest in 2010, and he
had to flee the country. However, the court had never issued an arrest
warrant for him, he said.

And the police Lt. Col.:

Another defence witness was Pol Lt Col Chumphon Bunprayun, Secretary
General of the Public Disaster Relief Volunteer Association of Thailand
and an advisor on fire prevention to Central Pattana Plc which owns
Central World.

He said that during the time of the red-shirt rally at Ratchaprasong intersection, a safety and fire prevention plan
was drawn up for Central World. The mall’s staff included a team of 25
full-time professional firefighters. It had all the facilities needed
to deal with any fire incidents, in accordance with international
standards, he said.

He said that at about 2 pm on that day, a group of about 14 people entered the shopping mall by smashing glass
windows, but were chased away by the mall’s 180-strong security staff.
About an hour later, another group of about 7-8 people dressed in
military-like attire and carrying weapons came in. The security staff
tried to stop them, but were met with bombs thrown at them. 25
policemen who had come to arrest people hiding inside the mall had to
withdraw from the place.

http://www.prachatai.com/english/node/3520