Anyone Know An Honest Clutch Mechanic?

Somtamnication

Toyota wants 14k. 60k km only. But bought in 2007.

Another mechanic wants 7k but not original parts.

Truck is my office. I cannot play with bogus or fake parts.

LIK, thanks for the info.

Then you've answered your own question, take it to the dealer and swallow the price for peace of mind for genuine parts and fitting. These guys are changing these things day in day out....

Not forgetting you'll get a free car wash also from the dealer.....whoohooo!!!

Edited by Rickster

I assume that the problem for the OP is the 12 days in shop to change a clutch w00t.gif

2 or 3 hours max. thumbsup.gif

Right, so why are Toyota wanting the vehicle for 12 days ?

Perhaps the ride is needed for something. laugh.png . On any ride, 2 or 3 hours max. Vigo easy, not transverse engine. thumbsup.gif

Surely you jest? "Honest mechanic" is an oxymoron. If yu want honest work, you must stand there and watch the work and understand it. Inspect the parts he wants to replace real time, before authorizing it.

Even the Toyota dealer in Phitsanulok attempted to cheat me. I was in for an oil change and was waiting with my wife in the lounge. Guy comes in with a clip board, talks to my wife wanting authorization for something they found. I asked what. She said, "The brakes are worn out; they want to replace them." Having personally inspected them only one week before, I knew this to be bogus. I said "Whoa, lets go have a look."

We marched down there and I was shocked at what I saw. Here I was, in for only an oil change, and they had my front disk brake assemblies, right and left, completely disassembled. I'm talking, they had the calipers taken off and taken apart, etc. Anybody that knows anything about disk brakes knows you don't remove the calipers to replace the pads. The pads had a full 1/4" of an inch above the wear grooves (well over 50% and at least another 25-30,000 kilometers with my driving habits). I showed them the perfectly fine pads and snapped at them to put it all back together and that I had better see nothing on the bill about this. They seemed shocked by all this.

The average Thai knows nothing about cars, wouldn't know the difference between a break pad and a bamboo stick, and would simply have signed off as requested. I was pretty disappointed because I really wanted to trust the dealer.

By the way, if you want the work done at Toyota and do not want to be in a long queue, just get out of town. There are Toyota dealers all over. Just head north or south until you find one. South is better since north is toward BKK. You might have to drive 2 or 3 hours, but that's better than 12 days, is it not?

Edited by Ticketmaster

For whatever reason, garages here like you to bring your vehicle in to them and let it sit for a long period of time before they actually attend to the vehicle.Getting service done in a relative quck period of time is the exception and not the norm. Mrs SP explained to me that garages like to show that they are busy by having cars sitting around for long periods of time. Not sure if it's true,but it's as good an explanation as any.

Err, yeah, I guess I can drive 2 or 3 hours and find another toyota dealer. And when the clutch goes halfway there? Humm...points to ponder.

Cheapest I found was 7k for god knows what. 12k from another mechanic, will get it back the same day. So far, price is coming down, slightly. But I need genuine parts, not bogus crap. Even rebuilt is ok, as long as it is toyo parts. But who knows what they do.

Will limp over to the place that LIK talked about. Will go there today sometime.

Surely you jest? "Honest mechanic" is an oxymoron. If yu want honest work, you must stand there and watch the work and understand it. Inspect the parts he wants to replace real time, before authorizing it.

Even the Toyota dealer in Phitsanulok attempted to cheat me. I was in for an oil change and was waiting with my wife in the lounge. Guy comes in with a clip board, talks to my wife wanting authorization for something they found. I asked what. She said, "The brakes are worn out; they want to replace them." Having personally inspected them only one week before, I knew this to be bogus. I said "Whoa, lets go have a look."

We marched down there and I was shocked at what I saw. Here I was, in for only an oil change, and they had my front disk brake assemblies, right and left, completely disassembled. I'm talking, they had the calipers taken off and taken apart, etc. Anybody that knows anything about disk brakes knows you don't remove the calipers to replace the pads. The pads had a full 1/4" of an inch above the wear grooves (well over 50% and at least another 25-30,000 kilometers with my driving habits). I showed them the perfectly fine pads and snapped at them to put it all back together and that I had better see nothing on the bill about this. They seemed shocked by all this.

The average Thai knows nothing about cars, wouldn't know the difference between a break pad and a bamboo stick, and would simply have signed off as requested. I was pretty disappointed because I really wanted to trust the dealer.

By the way, if you want the work done at Toyota and do not want to be in a long queue, just get out of town. There are Toyota dealers all over. Just head north or south until you find one. South is better since north is toward BKK. You might have to drive 2 or 3 hours, but that's better than 12 days, is it not?

Sorry but it would seem you don't know much about cars either. Most disc brake set ups require the brake caliper to be removed in order to change disc pads. On some motorcycles you can change the brake pads without taking off the caliper. In most cases on cars/trucks etc the caliper conceals the pads so normally ease back on the caliper piston ever so slightly remove what is normally 2 retaining bolts and the caliper comes off to access the pads which just slide out......

Sorry but it would seem you don't know much about cars either. Most disc brake set ups require the brake caliper to be removed in order to change disc pads. On some motorcycles you can change the brake pads without taking off the caliper. In most cases on cars/trucks etc the caliper conceals the pads so normally ease back on the caliper piston ever so slightly remove what is normally 2 retaining bolts and the caliper comes off to access the pads which just slide out......

You sure as hell do not have to remove the brake caliper on my Toyota Tiger Pick-up. I've changed the pads. Nor on any Toyota or Honda or VW I have ever owned and there have been a lot of them. They had parts spread all over the place. I have changed dozens of brake pads on dozens of vehicles, and NEVER have I had a bucket of parts like they had. I was there; I know my truck; it was shocking. Obviously, I do not know about a vehicle I have never worked on, but I sure know mine. What a cheesey post, Rickster,

You sure as hell do not have to remove the brake caliper on my Toyota Tiger Pick-up. I've changed the pads. Nor on any Toyota or Honda or VW I have ever owned and there have been a lot of them. They had parts spread all over the place. I have changed dozens of brake pads on dozens of vehicles, and NEVER have I had a bucket of parts like they had. I was there; I know my truck; it was shocking. Obviously, I do not know about a vehicle I have never worked on, but I sure know mine. What a cheesey post, Rickster,

Check out the link below 1.40sec to 2.00.....

Well it's a Vigo and it sure as hell looks like he's removing the brake caliper to access the brake pads cheesy.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C648-j8-USQ

Edited by Rickster

I will second the recommendation that lik gave regarding good mechanic in Rawai. His name is Muud and is very honest IMHO. Will usually tell you when to bring in the vehicle so he can have a fast turn around. He will need time to get the part etc....anyway he has worked on my truck for over 5 years now and done a very good job.

• Like 1

Thanks traveldog.

Can you pm me his phone number?

I was able to price the clutch directly from Toyota for 8k. I need a good mechanic to install it.

Today, the clutch is harder to press down or it goes straight to the floor...so only a matter of time.

Tks.

If fitting a new clutch assy I would recommend you fit a new clutch cable at the same time. They stretch after time and the self lube inside the cable dries up. If you want the best feeling from your new clutch, complement with a cable also, not too expensive I shouldn't think here.....

Yeah, sorry, forgot to update.

So anyways....

A few friends (Thai friends of wifey) told me about a mechanic not far from Villa California. Wifey asked him how much and he said 12k. But 1300 if I bring the clutch.

So I went to Toyota, bought the clutch assembly (5 or 6 parts altogether, plus a new fan belt, just because) Took it to him at 9. His son brought me home. Picked me up at 3 pm!!!

He even showed me the bad clutch and explained what happened. With the fan belt install, he charged me 1700 baht. I gave him 2k and asked him to tip the mechanic.

Truck was so powerful when I put it in first gear, that it slipped and cut off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like a new car. I went to Karon today and it was like floating on air, it was as smooth as a baby's butt. smile.png

If anyone wants his name and number, pm me.

Oh, and I saved 2k by not going to Toyota and leaving the car for 10 freegin' days. thumbsup.gif

Yeah, sorry, forgot to update.

So anyways....

A few friends (Thai friends of wifey) told me about a mechanic not far from Villa California. Wifey asked him how much and he said 12k. But 1300 if I bring the clutch.

So I went to Toyota, bought the clutch assembly (5 or 6 parts altogether, plus a new fan belt, just because) Took it to him at 9. His son brought me home. Picked me up at 3 pm!!!

He even showed me the bad clutch and explained what happened. With the fan belt install, he charged me 1700 baht. I gave him 2k and asked him to tip the mechanic.

Truck was so powerful when I put it in first gear, that it slipped and cut off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like a new car. I went to Karon today and it was like floating on air, it was as smooth as a baby's butt. smile.png

If anyone wants his name and number, pm me.

Oh, and I saved 2k by not going to Toyota and leaving the car for 10 freegin' days. thumbsup.gif

Sounds like a great result on time and money thumbsup.gif

did you ask him if he changes brake pads too!!! giggle.gif

Edited by Rickster