Thai Health Ministry Considering Plan To Force Foreign Tourists To Buy Insurance

webfact

I expect they could take the money made off the rice pledging scam and pay the medical care for every foreigner and Thai for the next fifty years.

Recover the medical costs and push more into the rice subsidy, much better for Thailand, why should the Thai farmer loose out because foreigners are stripping the Thai treasury

Oops, Good one geo. But I really don't think the rice farmers loosing out would be the issue. They are already in this situation with the millers cheating them. I think the politicians and the millers would be the only ones benifiting. Mo money, mo money. And talking about stripping the Thai treasury, if the rice scam isn't doing it nothing is except the flood prevention funding scam, rotten red onion scam, rotten rubber scam to name a couple of others.

What is your point.......foreigners should be allowed to drain hospital funds because there are those that do not agree with the current government policies............doesn't really hold up does it?

My point is this. It doesn't matter what government is in power, I don't care, but if the current government whom ever it be expects the foreigners to subsidize their domestic projects it is wrong in my opinion. The finance ministry should be intellignet enough to use the tax base which is a known (tourisim is not a known) to fund the domestic projects.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What idiot goes on holiday without insurance?

I've never bought travel insurance in my life and I've been to something like 50 countries. Hello. How are you? Am I the idiot you are inquiring about?coffee1.gif

I'm assuming that as you have been to 50 countries you would have the means to pay for yourself should the worst happen. But to travel to somewhere and not have the means to pay for basics like health care is fairly idiotic as you're relying in the 'good nature' of the host country to put their hand in their pocket to pay for your recovery.

Whilst i agree everyone should pay for themselves or at least legislate for the worst with basic accident insurance, I just don't see how you can 'force' someone to buy something?

How would you differentiate between those who have private health insurance prior to landing and those who don't - at immigration - that will speed up the entry process? - when people book their flight - people could lie, as they often book insurance after the flight, often with a different company, especially as people like to shop around for the cheapest deal. Do you check on the flight - good luck, what if people refuse its not the job of the airline to enforce Thai rules in international airspace. Do you get given a card to show you have paid the insurance, what happens if you lose the card? If 5'000 people turn up at the airport with no insurance and refuse to buy - what do you do with them - that's a lot of planes to charter at short notice

An unenforceable scheme that will follow in the tracks of the 'elite card'.

When a Thai is going to Scandinavia they can not get a visa before they had purchased a health insurance !
Such sould it also be for people comming here !
They can eassily make it is a demand when people apply for visa.

Then will it be for all who stay a little longer, to start with, then can they see the results and take it from there.

I expect they could take the money made off the rice pledging scam and pay the medical care for every foreigner and Thai for the next fifty years.

Recover the medical costs and push more into the rice subsidy, much better for Thailand, why should the Thai farmer loose out because foreigners are stripping the Thai treasury

Oops, Good one geo. But I really don't think the rice farmers loosing out would be the issue. They are already in this situation with the millers cheating them. I think the politicians and the millers would be the only ones benifiting. Mo money, mo money. And talking about stripping the Thai treasury, if the rice scam isn't doing it nothing is except the flood prevention funding scam, rotten red onion scam, rotten rubber scam to name a couple of others.

What is your point.......foreigners should be allowed to drain hospital funds because there are those that do not agree with the current government policies............doesn't really hold up does it?

You seem to believe the government when they say foreigners are draining hospital funds. I'll believe it when they provide real evidence (not the odd case of an expat or tourist unable to pay).

This is (the Op), as already mentioned, a scatter-brained idea that need a bit more thought put into it. To expect tourists with health & accident cover to have to pay double would not be a good idea. Given the policy here is to attract tourists by volume and too often allow them to be ripped off in ways too numerous to mention here, the government could easily use a small portion of their revenue to fund the state hospitals fully. Actually Thaksin's various governments have too often under-funded the hospitals & woe betide anyone who speaks out about it.

Yes but without a Schengen visa you can't enter most countries in Europe. A Schengen is a tourist visa valid normally for three months. Makes perfectly sense for any visitor to the Kingdom when applying for a visa to proof that he/she has a travel insurance during their stay in Thailand and it must be specially for older farangs that often end up in hospitals in Thailand.

It doesn't make perfect sense to me. It would be a bit complicated to have to take out travel insurance to apply for a visa - which of course could be refused. You'll find that refused tourist visa applications are quite common if you read through the visa section here.

I don't know about other countries, but when you apply for a visa for Australia and New Zealand they tell you NOT to buy a ticket until your visa has been approved. Are you suggesting travellers should take out travel insurance BEFORE they have been granted a visa?

I've never been compelled to take out travel insurance when travelling and I hope it stays that way in Thailand.

The small losses they experience from travellers having no medical insurance would pale in comparison to their lost revenue from tourists who decide to go to other countries which don't have dumb regulations.

Edited by tropo

People here on a tourist visa (with all the ramifications involved) are answering here as if everyone in Thailand was a tourist. Retirement visa people the same, etc, etc, we haven't had anyone yet answering as if everyone lived in Pattaya, thank goodness.

The problem has to be with older expats that have no insurance, or that have an insurance that has precondition exceptions making it almost worthless. I paid health insurance for 47 years, hardly ever using it, to find myself in Thailand at the age of 64 without insurance. I just squeezed in to get a health insurance, the precondition possibly means that I will die here in great pain. I made a decision.

The problem is that many expats just avoid thinking about the problem of health insurance, life and the universe and everything, until it is too late.

My wife to be had to get health insurance before she came to the Schengen community to visit me; I don't see why it shouldn't work the other way around. People turning up at public hospitals without money make it difficult for other people to get decent treatment.

I visited someone in a public hospital recently and it seemed to me like a mix of hospitals in the Uk and an oriental bazaar. It certainly wasn't a boring place.

I haven't heard anything about Bali tourism imploding since Indinesia began requiring visas.

A large percentage of tourists to Thailand don't need visas.

Bali is a very poor comparison. The numbers of tourists going there would be a small fraction of those visiting Thailand.

That's my point, though. I'm sure there were people saying that the implementation of visa requirements in Indonesia would be the "final nail in the coffin" of Bali tourism.

But it hasn't. Bali tourism continues to grow.

The same will true of Thailand. Despite all the doom and gloom in this forum, Thai tourism will continue to grow and grow whether or not insurance requirements are applied, and whether or not visas are ever made a requirement for everyone.

Personally, I'm a big fan of reciprocity. I would be happy for Thailand's tourist visa policies to mimic exactly the policies of the passport holder's home country to Thais.

As has been said by many previous Members, this has not been thought through, or is it another case of poor investigative reporting? An additional issue is that many Insurance Companies have an upper age limit, beyond which they will not insure people - then what?blink.png

Maybe the Health Minister should have a talk with the Tourism Minister about whether having 30 million tourists a year is a good idea in the first place! The country is getting too frigging crowded! There were 3 million tourists when I first came in 1987; that's a ten-fold increase! Man, I miss the good old days, before the Thai government got interested in regulating everything, and before everything became commercialized and consumerized!

• Like 1

As has been said by many previous Members, this has not been thought through, or is it another case of poor investigative reporting? An additional issue is that many Insurance Companies have an upper age limit, beyond which they will not insure people - then what?blink.png

We're talking about short-term travel insurance. Anyone can buy such a policy online for a few dollars in a matter of minutes.

Much panty-twisting over nothing.

I haven't heard anything about Bali tourism imploding since Indinesia began requiring visas.

A large percentage of tourists to Thailand don't need visas.

Bali is a very poor comparison. The numbers of tourists going there would be a small fraction of those visiting Thailand.

That's my point, though. I'm sure there were people saying that the implementation of visa requirements in Indonesia would be the "final nail in the coffin" of Bali tourism.

But it hasn't. Bali tourism continues to grow.

The same will true of Thailand. Despite all the doom and gloom in this forum, Thai tourism will continue to grow and grow whether or not insurance requirements are applied, and whether or not visas are ever made a requirement for everyone.

Personally, I'm a big fan of reciprocity. I would be happy for Thailand's tourist visa policies to mimic exactly the policies of the passport holder's home country to Thais.

I disagree with that. Stricter visa regulations will always result in lower tourist numbers, even in Bali.

The visa free entry up to 30 days is a big help for Thailand's tourist numbers.

From "approved" insurance companies, I bet.

As i understand the travel insurance will be taken from your country and when you apply for visa you show the travel insurance so you can get the visa. As i know many countries now ask for travel insurance before give any kind of visa

I think that Tvisa posters have not thought it through, look at the guy asking about his elderly mother, what better holiday destination than one that gives you the comfort of knowing that say 5k baht at the airport ensures free access to all public medical facilities for the duration of your visit until your next visa is due

euh... many countries are covered by their social security anyway... even for thai private hospitals, you just have to call to check where you can go ...

so now they are asking tourists to pay an extra TAX entering the country

well, that extra cost might just be another nail on the coffin

and no need for more tourists anyway

Well, usually if you pay your ticket with a credit card , there is always an insurance included no ? How can they impose to tourists any insurance ? non sense but I agree on the principle , Thailand doesn't have to pay for those who cannot afford to pay medical expenses here. I said it before , those coming on tourist visa can have a proof of insurance when applying for visa. Thais must give this insurance when they travel to Europe. I also need a special insurance when I travel in some countries.

Credit cards do not all insure and it is worth a look at just what they do insure. Thais and others do not need insurance to travel to Europe only to get a schengen visa. I am not having a go, just a couple of replies to your points.

Yes but without a Schengen visa you can't enter most countries in Europe. A Schengen is a tourist visa valid normally for three months. Makes perfectly sense for any visitor to the Kingdom when applying for a visa to proof that he/she has a travel insurance during their stay in Thailand and it must be specially for older farangs that often end up in hospitals in Thailand.

I wholeheartedly agree, BUT then make travel insurance available for those with preexisting conditions, elderly etc. Say you have some hypertension etc. and then you get a stroke in Thailand. Travel insurance want cover! read the small print.

Same goes by the way for Schengen as well as nay country/area with similar requirements.

When a Thai is going to Scandinavia they can not get a visa before they had purchased a health insurance !

Such sould it also be for people comming here !

They can eassily make it is a demand when people apply for visa.

Then will it be for all who stay a little longer, to start with, then can they see the results and take it from there.

Yes I agree tie it in with the visa, I think too many here are just trying to find an excuse not to pay, why would you pay double if you knew that visa on arrival included a 5k fee health access certificate, great for those oldies who struggle to get cover, and cover for those that do not bother, a great way to enjoy your holiday in Thailand with no health care worries....why would people be against this?

Edited by 473geo

40 % of this hospital visits is made by expats living in the country. A higher fee on air fare and hotels does not effect the expats living in Thailand.

But if these fees are implemented does that mean as an expat living in the Kingdom we get free medical care?

Or will the next rule be: A proof of medical insurance when you apply for a visa?

As far as I'm aware, you can't get medical insurance in Thailand unless you are under 60 years old, so that would mean once expats reach 60 they will have to go back to their own countries as they won't get a visa to live here with no medical insurance. I don't think so, Thailand does not want us, but they want our money.

What would happen if all us old geezers where forced to leave Thailand because of health insurance issue's I wonder what would become of the wife's and families they support and many other spends and help they give the local economy I think if the government could calculate that(not easy) we would hear no more about how much we are costing the health service .

I am sure they come up with all these plans just to give us something to discuss on TV and of course like all government departments worldwide they need something to think about.

I for one just pick up sticks and ship out without a backward glance .

We will never be forced to leave Thailand Jocko, they need us too much. Unlike you, I will never go back to stay in Scotland, not even if it became independent.

• Like 1

What about those who continually do the border crossings, the forever tourists, but tourists nevertheless? And if the Thai Government is not prepared to include the ex-pats in any government schemes, than surely this group has to also be included for the imposed medical coverage.

Ban tourists over 50 or certify they are wealthy before they are allowed to get a ticket to Thailand.

Don't most tourists take out some sort of travel insurance covering illness and emergency treatment?

Why not ban tourists under fifty , same thing

We're talking about short-term travel insurance. Anyone can buy such a policy online for a few dollars in a matter of minutes.

Much panty-twisting over nothing.

NOT anyone.... excluded are elderly, and preexisting conditions. So actually worthless.

Yes the government could offer a medium cost insuranse to expats , they could pay either to go to the general Hospital or an extra premium for a privat one , this way we get a resnable costed insuranse the Thai government makes a bit and everyone is insured , simples.

That would mean they would have to actually THINK!

No that means they would take business away from private insurance and health plans, not likely to happen.

My country of citizenship has government health insurance (I am obviously not American, what a joke) that covers any medical bills I incur up to the cost of a similar medical treatment or service I would incur in my home country. I have done comparisons and in virtually all cases the cost in Thailand is lower. Also, I am retired and spend as much as 5 months a year in Thailand (1-2 months at a time), either on 30 day entries or sometimes tourist visas.

I certainly hope I would not be forced by the Thai government into buying expensive medical/travel insurance that I do not need! I am beginning to think I should take my business elsewhere, maybe Vietnam or Cambodia - after 26 years I am really getting sick and tired of this increasingly over-regulated, over-exposed, overrun country!

What about those who continually do the border crossings, the forever tourists, but tourists nevertheless? And if the Thai Government is not prepared to include the ex-pats in any government schemes, than surely this group has to also be included for the imposed medical coverage.

Linked to a visa could set an annual maximum of say 20k for annual renewal same multi entry

My country of citizenship has government health insurance (I am obviously not American, what a joke) that covers any medical bills I incur up to the cost of a similar medical treatment or service I would incur in my home country. I have done comparisons and in virtually all cases the cost in Thailand is lower. Also, I am retired and spend as much as 5 months a year in Thailand (1-2 months at a time), either on 30 day entries or sometimes tourist visas.

I certainly hope I would not be forced by the Thai government into buying expensive medical/travel insurance that I do not need! I am beginning to think I should take my business elsewhere, maybe Vietnam or Cambodia - after 26 years I am really getting sick and tired of this increasingly over-regulated, over-exposed, overrun country!

Umm...bye?

There's probably an easy way to operate this, included in the price of tickets ,visa's etc a medical insurance levy, the problem you've generally got is not so much not insured but under insured, you then end up paying for one tourist visa , instead of one thousand Baht , it is now five thousand Usd, that's progress in the land of progress.cheesy.gif