Ever Been Told To Leave A Thai-Owned Shop ?

MrWorldwide

"Ever been told to leave a Thai-owned shop?"

No, but I've been told by a few posters to leave Thailand.

laugh.png

How's that working out for you ? Did any of them take your advice ? Only one has taken my advice to GTFO - so far, he seems happy to be back in the UK, but I'm guessing that we will see threads about the many things that have 'gone downhill' since his last stint in the old country. ;)

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

laugh.png

How's that working out for you ? Did any of them take your advice ? Only one has taken my advice to GTFO - so far, he seems happy to be back in the UK, but I'm guessing that we will see threads about the many things that have 'gone downhill' since his last stint in the old country. wink.png

Read the post again, Sherlock. The poster didn't give the advice. He was on the receiving end of it. rolleyes.gif

I saw 3 beer Chang toting, beer brand singlet and thongs wearing aussies (presumed... I'm aussie so f off if you going to challenge that comment) wandering around the top floor of paragon..

Wonder how far they got

I saw 3 beer Chang toting, beer brand singlet and thongs wearing aussies (presumed... I'm aussie so f off if you going to challenge that comment) wandering around the top floor of paragon..

Wonder how far they got

But you don't write like an Aussie... whistling.gif

Edited by Fookhaht

laugh.png

How's that working out for you ? Did any of them take your advice ? Only one has taken my advice to GTFO - so far, he seems happy to be back in the UK, but I'm guessing that we will see threads about the many things that have 'gone downhill' since his last stint in the old country. wink.png

Read the post again, Sherlock. The poster didn't give the advice. He was on the receiving end of it. rolleyes.gif

And he clearly hasnt taken the advice - my mistake. Apologies for ruining everyone's day, your majesty.

laugh.png

And he clearly hasnt taken the advice - my mistake. Apologies for ruining everyone's day, your majesty.

OK, but don't do it again. And please capitalize Your Majesty.

Edited by Fookhaht

Wonder how far they got

But you don't write like an Aussie... whistling.gif

Sadly, he does. If I have to move to Kygyrzstan, I will find a country which has no more than 5 Australians total - I expect they will be extremely unhappy to see me, but we all have to make sacrifices. ;)

• Like 1

Wonder how far they got

Have you ever seen low paid Thais or any really (except bouncers in clubs) get off their bottom and challenge someone ?

Quite far I'd say.

I think most of the shorts and flip flop farangs are same same....

Basically, you'd be happier to entertain Bernie Madoff in an expensive suit than Gandhi in sandals, right ? How very Thai of you. wink.png

call it European.

you just don't go with street clothes into nice shops/churches/temples/government offices etc etc

How pretentious and upper crust of you....

Yet pretty astute at adapting to the host culture, I'd say...

I was asked to leave a small stall that was selling women's clothes once... The clothes only sold small anorexic style clothes that the Thais wear but I was actually shopping for a present for my friend. I ended up being asked to leave as I clearly too big to fit into these anorexic petite Thai fashion clothes.

I was actually quite offended... Not only did the bitch call me fat but she shoo'd me out of her shop before giving me a chance to explain that I wanted something for a friend as a present.

Also it was her attitude. It stunk.

But whatever... I went to another store and spent my money there. coffee1.gif

Are you suffering from some sort of paranoia?

When I go into a store and the staff tells me, mị̀ dị mī (no have), I smile, say; mai pen rai (no problem) Korb kun krup (thank you) and then just walk out.

If you live here, try to learn at least the basics of Thai language and leave the attitude at home, otherwise they will hate you and will not be welcome anywhere. This is Thailand and one cannot equate the types of services and attitudes of those in the West.

Believe this or not, if you conduct yourself in an appropriate manner, come down off your crosses and lose the attitude, Thai people will move mountains for you.

I am not religious, but I pray that wherever you people are, that you don`t decide to move near me and become my neighbors. You would not like me at all. My dogs bark, my neighbors and my family walk on each other’s land to take short cuts and some of our plants are over growing onto the next doors properties and likewise with the neighbors.

Definitely some real characters here to be avoided and to be totally frank, if I owned a store, I would not want to deal with you either.

I didn't have an attitude about me?! I was very polite to her... She called me a pig in Thai and my Thai language is basic enough to know when be insulted. I was also with a Thai friend at the time and even she said she was being rude!

We just left the shop and took our business else where. I was in no way rude to the lady. I was just offended by what she said, but I didn't even say anything back to her. Neither did my friend, it wasn't worth it.

I think you read more into my post than what I actually wrote. :)

The clothes only sold small anorexic style clothes that the Thais wear...

Uhmmm...no offense but have you got a bit of a chip south of your head, perchance?

By the way, did she literally call you " fat" (or is that you being a somewhat sensitive)?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Yes, she called me a pig in Thai. I don't think that is being oversensitive. coffee1.gif

1-No time to read all, i have had my share of nightmares and i even got irate (not recommended) but rarely asked to leave oddly. Thais ARE mellow.

2-FWIW Often times a shop keeper or boss thinks and acts like they are doing you a favor and the transaction centers around them not you.

Uhmmm...no offense but have you got a bit of a chip south of your head, perchance?

By the way, did she literally call you " fat" (or is that you being a somewhat sensitive)?

Yes, she called me a pig in Thai. I don't think that is being oversensitive. coffee1.gif

She was probably being cute.

Thais give their fat kids the nickname Moo <deleted>.

Yes, she called me a pig in Thai. I don't think that is being oversensitive.

I do. It is more of a term of endearment than anything else.

I feel utterly disgusted at myself while wearing flip flops.

Me too, for wearing short pants in public... neus.gif

That is so out of the question that i dont even own a pair, i do wear boxer shorts though as underwear. This is considered a rather male thing in sweden but here its been more of an amusement in some situations and i have been told "aiai same same lady" standing there in my björn borg boxers. This i use to my advantige and off goes the now silly underware too.

To continue keeping this completly OT i would like to ad something more about flip flops, yes i do have a thing about them.

I have never owned a pair of flip flops but that does not meen i never wore them, far from. Thai people have the slightly annoying habit of just stepping in to the closest footwear for the moment. While living in village i used to go to bed late with the consequens that everything was running full machine when woke up and only leaving a pair of flip flops to wear when going to buy cigarettes, it was not unusal that those flip flops was decorated with glass gems and oversized pink plastic flowers. I have rather small feet size 40 and thai women seems to have bigger feet the swedish, they also buy their flip flops 2-3 sices bigger then necessary out of purpose so the entire kingdom can wear them. The well decoreted flip flops is an option for me and rather then try make someone change shoes with me i used to put them on, walking around like that seemed normal though and nobody ever raised an eyebrown over that, except the one person standing there looking more then ridiculous in my sneakers and often other put on wrong clothes that originally belonged to me saying "aiai (again) why you have" pointing at the flip flops. I used to answer with a big smile "because i love you so much" this actually made her blush and saying "why you play with me i have many work to do" running of doing something completly unnecessary for the moment.

God i miss living in thai village, it was such an easy and good life for me.

No, if she called you a pig you were obviously within reason to find that rude and insulting. Forgive my asking but it was prompted by your repeatedly pejorative characterization of what Thais wear.

I do. It is more of a term of endearment than anything else.

It obviously depends on how it's used - I seriously doubt you don't know enough about Thai to recognize that; conversely in certain circumstances one can tell if someone is expressing endearment or insult without knowing much Thai at all.

She says her Thai friend thought the woman was rude and other than your consistent refusal to accept any posters being critical of Thais or Thailand, I don't see why you'd have cause to call her a liar.

I had been flirting with very good looking cashier when she asked me if i prefered breasts or legs. Emboldened by this suggestive comment I replied that actually I liked the look of her nice round bum. They kicked me out of the KFC and won't let me back in.

I'll bet I know what your mum said when you told her that tale.

thatsnicedear-meme-generator-thats-nice-.

Yes I know that people use the term pig as a form of endearment. However she didn't sound or give off the right body language as if she was being cute/nice.

I'm totally aware of the different culture aspects in Thailand where the term 'fat' is not used in a insulting way. However this lady called me a pig and then shoo'd me out of the shop?! Now forgive me if I'm not understanding here but it seemed quite rude to me. Even her body language was quite rude.

Anyway, I don't really need to justify myself that much about this. She was quite rude to me in body language and actions. Yes I was probably out of order when I said 'tiny anorexic' Thai clothes but it wasn't meant to be insulting, some of the clothes over here just really are TINY. I am in no way bashing Thais or anything like that. ;) My apologies if people took this the wrong way.

• Like 1

tiny anorexic thai clothes.......not bashing.....nope....no way.

If a tiny anorexic thai walked into your shop back home and said 'all fat pig clothes'....how'd that sit ?

She didn't say it in the shop or to any other Thai people, just a passing comment made in this thread.

tiny anorexic thai clothes.......not bashing.....nope....no way.

If a tiny anorexic thai walked into your shop back home and said 'all fat pig clothes'....how'd that sit ?

She didn't say it in the shop or to any other Thai people, just a passing comment made in this thread.

Exactly!

• Like 2

Wonder how far they got

What is it about Aussies needing to have a beer in their hand everywhere and at all times like a prosthetic limb?It must be warm after being clutched in their filthy mitts for half a day,surely a bar is the best place to drink it cold,I just can't work that out at all!

Bah..It's all about empathy, shop owners and staff are no robots, they can have the bad day too. Wouldn' t you ?

Sometimes people, after been repeatedly abused , become abusive, and so ?

Better not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time ..and know when to run tongue.png

Just sayin' coffee1.gif

Yep, i' ve been thrown out of a shop a dozen of times, but always in a rather gentle way . Mai pen rai, go to the next shop.

The term is 'high end audio', and we aren't talking the latest whizbang creation from Bose. How many people (Thai or otherwise) do you know who would be willing to pay this sort of money for a pair of speakers ?

http://piyanas.com/shopping/productdetail.php?cat=80.90&id=3274〈=th

3 million baht for a pair of speakers (a little over if you need them delivered ..) - unless you know a street vendor who has that kind of money sitting in a drawer, I'm going to guess that it's very much a 'hi-so' thing. Add the 5-10 million you would probably spend on the electronics and cables to drive those speakers and I expect that you could buy a rather nice car for the total outlay - yep, even in Thailand.

(yep - Thai prices are inflated over what you would pay in the US for those speakers, but that's not really the point here)

Bose hi end, more like "Hype end" you want some real hi fi http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/Reference.aspx?lang=En

As long as the security in front of Central and Paragon salute me, krap!, when I enter wearing jeans, sweated-through shabby shirt and sandals, sporting my tattooed arms and smirking back with a "lazy" attitude . . . . they can kick me out of any shop inside the mall if they like, coz I won't enter any of them. I simply just love to walk around, enjoy the scenery and buy absolutely nothing.