Ever Been Told To Leave A Thai-Owned Shop ?

MrWorldwide

I eat Pad Thai exclusively. And dress in loud Hawaiian shirts cause my Tilac likes to see me looking so hansum when we go to the gold shop. I think I'll buy her a bar *and* a salon in Pattaya. Please don't hate me for being a success story, OK ?

• Like 1

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A restaurant might wave you away if they have no English menu and don't think they can communicate with you. Same as a shop. To avoid embarassment. Not to insult.

And just to be sure...they will call you a pig on your way out to make sure you understand never to come back.

'Pig' isn't used as an insult in Thai.

• Like 2

A restaurant might wave you away if they have no English menu and don't think they can communicate with you. Same as a shop. To avoid embarassment. Not to insult.

Yea one thing I forget to learn in every place I visit.. and actually I don't even know the phrase I want to say in English.. but 'I am not picky, I want to order something popular here.' It's a message I can never get across and for 1-2 USD I don't really care if it backfires with a plate of fisheads now and again.

Usually I just want to be fed and am curious as to what they cook up. Maybe I should just point to something on the menu and ask for it, language be damned.

I'm no cunning linguist in Thai but how difficult is it to say 'Krapow Gai,Tom Yam Koong,Sing Yai Kab',in Thai?rolleyes.gif

I'm fine in Thailand I was more referring to other countries. I was in Taipei on a layover and wanted to try some of the local cuisine but was just clueless on how to order it. It took me a good week or two to pick up the local Thai dishes and learn how to order.

They'd call you a monitor lizard or a buffalo if they were kicking you out with anger. They don't use pig in that way in Thailand. But I'm just an apologist...what do I know?Well at least your last sentence is the first truthful thing you have ever posted. Good for you.

I'm flattered that you have gone back and reviewed my entire posting history.

Or were you just referring to my posts in the very short time you have been a member here?

I would find an excuse to hang out in the shop for an extra ten minutes, just to watch them be uncomfortable, and squirm. They would literally have to lead me out by the arm. At that point I would not resist. What is the point? But, I would have a jolly old time making them squirm, and leading them on. I would check out every product they had. Behavior like this is simply inexcusable. Why not have some fun at their expense?

They'd call you a monitor lizard or a buffalo if they were kicking you out with anger. They don't use pig in that way in Thailand. But I'm just an apologist...what do I know?

Well at least your last sentence is the first truthful thing you have ever posted. Good for you.

Calling someone a pig in Thai is the colloquial equivalent to calling someone a cricket or a bird as an attemped insult in English. It makes no sense.

That why my staff isn't impressed if I call them pigs for letting their food stay and ferment over night....
  • Like 1

I got thrown out of a Chinese shop in S'apore in 1969, a pure accident actually.

I'd asked in very poor Chinese how much a product was.

The seller gave me a good price (since I was trying to speak Chinese).

I replied with the price but added an inflection - as a question - and slightly changed the word ending.

I later learned that I has in fact offered him one of the worst Chinese curse words imaginable.

No wonder he threw me out. wai2.gif

I usely find that if you don't come across straight up that you are intending to buy right then or their , they won't give you time of day.They generally don't thing beyond the next 5 minutes. Also if it is a high end purchase you generally do your research before hand as i wouldn't trust a word they tell me if they actually new anything at all at what they are selling in the first place. Can't tell you how many times i have had to point out information to sellers regarding an item that they should know .

I have developed a fine tuned sense of listening to Farang people. If they refer to Thai people as they; whatever comes next I tune out. Works for me.

Yeah and like being referred to as "Farang" is the depiction of high respect.Not !

:-)

I have developed a fine tuned sense of listening to Farang people. If they refer to Thai people as they; whatever comes next I tune out. Works for me.

Me too! I find the principle works fine when applied to people referring to farangs as well! Hence:

"I have developed a fine tuned sense of listening to Farang people. If they..."

Yeah and like being referred to as "Farang" is the depiction of high respect.Not !

The richest Farang and long time resident in Thailand, Bill Heinicke refers to himself, family and others by the term Farang. He is more knowledgeable about Thailand than you. So If Bill calls himself and wife and kids Farang it's OK with me. When you get the be the richest Farang in Thailand let me know. I may change my mind.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

invest in some deodorant

but seriously Chinese business owners can be not so polite or friendly as compared to Thai's.

Yes, as business has everything to do with providing what the customer wants nothing to do with politeness.

Thai businesses are polite but the sales people don't ever understand their own products...

Wanted to buy a hammer once - in a hardware store - 3 sales boys said 'no have', so I found it myself...

The Chinese seem to be knowledgable and understand why a person wants a particular product...

• Like 1

The richest Farang and long time resident in Thailand, Bill Heinicke refers to himself, family and others by the term Farang. He is more knowledgeable about Thailand than you. So If Bill calls himself and wife and kids Farang it's OK with me. When you get the be the richest Farang in Thailand let me know. I may change my mind.

So now we know who your farang Buddha is...

They'd call you a monitor lizard or a buffalo if they were kicking you out with anger. They don't use pig in that way in Thailand. But I'm just an apologist...what do I know?Well at least your last sentence is the first truthful thing you have ever posted. Good for you.

I'm flattered that you have gone back and reviewed my entire posting history.

Or were you just referring to my posts in the very short time you have been a member here?

Just the posts you have made in my short time as a member here. I thought it best to be fair and equate the time spent to your total schooling.

Large plumbing store as you head north from Naklua, just before the big yellow second hand car parts store (Tien Gong).

Assistant goes to get part to match the bit I showed (can't remember) - finds it, & calls 'hook sip' back to boss.

Boss turns to me & says 'ninety'.

Used go there often -

Beetlejuice, where does it say that *I* was the person waved out of the audio store ? Please give me a quote I can work with - perhaps I have dyslexia and typed 'MrWorldwide' when I meant to type 'CarlBKK', or that last crack pipe really has taken its toll.

Accurate quoting of anything is not required on the TV forum. 555

The Chinese seem to have a bit of a problem with window shoppers. I know. I am married to one, and when I percieved to be window shopping for the wrong things, I get in big trouble.whistling.gif

You have my sympathy. I remember about 10 years ago I had a very nice Chinese girlfriend. Nice in every way except that she had to be the one wearing the pants. No way was I going to be pu--y or j-m whipped. Treat me the way I treat you. To this day she still has not found someone to marry her. Some people never get the message.

I think one thing to near in mind is that many people in Thailand are one generation removed from a "near total tribal existence". Only 25 years ago, this was a completely different country. Just 50 or 60 years ago it was a disease infested, economic backwater. Alot has happened here, very quickly. Most in this country are fabulously unsophisticated, uneducated, and unrefined. So, perhaps we expect too much sometimes, as they do often put on a good appearance. I just like to have some fun with the extreme buttheads, whether it be here, in the States, or wherever. Why let them get under your skin? Just play with them. Regardless of how little education or refinement they have, if they have some money, they consider themselves to be on a higher level than most, and that creates arrogance. It is what I call "having an attitude, with nothing to back it up".

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think one thing to near in mind is that many people in Thailand are one generation removed from a "near total tribal existence". Only 25 years ago, this was a completely different country. Just 50 or 60 years ago it was a disease infested, economic backwater. Alot has happened here, very quickly. Most in this country are fabulously unsophisticated, uneducated, and unrefined. So, perhaps we expect too much sometimes, as they do often put on a good appearance. I just like to have some fun with the extreme buttheads, whether it be here, in the States, or wherever. Why let them get under your skin? Just play with them. Regardless of how little education or refinement they have, if they have some money, they consider themselves to be on a higher level than most, and that creates arrogance. It is what I call "having an attitude, with nothing to back it up". Mike Macarelli Chaiyaphum, Thailand Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If I was a Thai person reading what you wrote I would be upset because it is in error.

I think one thing to near in mind is that many people in Thailand are one generation removed from a "near total tribal existence". Only 25 years ago, this was a completely different country. Just 50 or 60 years ago it was a disease infested, economic backwater. Alot has happened here, very quickly. Most in this country are fabulously unsophisticated, uneducated, and unrefined. So, perhaps we expect too much sometimes, as they do often put on a good appearance. I just like to have some fun with the extreme buttheads, whether it be here, in the States, or wherever. Why let them get under your skin? Just play with them. Regardless of how little education or refinement they have, if they have some money, they consider themselves to be on a higher level than most, and that creates arrogance. It is what I call "having an attitude, with nothing to back it up". Mike Macarelli Chaiyaphum, Thailand Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If I was a Thai person reading what you wrote I would be upset because it is in error.

How so? Please enlighten me.

Of course I am not referring to all. That is never the case. Only to many. And in regard to the " have nothing to back it up" statement, only lightweights with attitude. You know who they are.

Of course I am not referring to all. That is never the case. Only to many. And in regard to the " have nothing to back it up" statement, only lightweights with attitude. You know who they are.

I can't believe that a post that refers to many Thais as, " extreme buttheads" and suggests, "Just play with them. Regardless of how little education or refinement they have." will be allowed to remain for too long on Thai Visa. If, however it is still up in the morning I'll comment further. Hopefully some of the "extreme butthead" (your words) Thai members of Thai Visa will also give you opinions of what they think.

Wow. You not only misunderstood my words, but also my intent, the meaning of what I was saying, and the spirit with which I said it. I have been living in Thailand for over 7 years, and I adore the Thai people. I think they have many, many outstanding qualities. The spirit with which I made this statement was simply in reference to those that are difficult, hard to get along with, arrogant, and mean spirited. Those are the butt heads I was referring to. Certainly not the average Thai person, and most certainly not the gentlemen and ladies that post here. The fact that I said most in the country were unsophisticated, is not an insult. I believe it to be a fact. That does not mean they are not kind hearted, generous, and lovely people. Just that they may not be aware of the nuances of the western mind, and what our expectations are, about how they should behave, or treat us. That is all.

I can't believe that a post that refers to many Thais as, " extreme buttheads" and suggests, "Just play with them. Regardless of how little education or refinement they have." will be allowed to remain for too long on Thai Visa. If, however it is still up in the morning I'll comment further. Hopefully some of the "extreme butthead" (your words) Thai members of Thai Visa will also give you opinions of what they think.

Wow. You not only misunderstood my words, but also my intent, the meaning of what I was saying, and the spirit with which I said it. I have been living in Thailand for over 7 years, and I adore the Thai people. I think they have many, many outstanding qualities. The spirit with which I made this statement was simply in reference to those that are difficult, hard to get along with, arrogant, and mean spirited. Those are the butt heads I was referring to. Certainly not the average Thai person, and most certainly not the gentlemen and ladies that post here. The fact that I said most in the country were unsophisticated, is not an insult. I believe it to be a fact. That does not mean they are not kind hearted, generous, and lovely people. Just that they may not be aware of the nuances of the western mind, and what our expectations are, about how they should behave, or treat us. That is all.

They should behave however the heck they want to behave. It is their country. Your words, "Most in this country are fabulously unsophisticated, uneducated, and unrefined."

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 1

in Australia, I'd get the Police involved.

. . . and they'd tell you to take a hike. What on earth makes you think this is a criminal matter?

Because it is against the law to refuse service for certain reasons. Call the police and they will come and you make a report.

And therein begins the civil procedure.

in Australia, I'd get the Police involved.

. . . and they'd tell you to take a hike. What on earth makes you think this is a criminal matter?

Because it is against the law to refuse service for certain reasons. Call the police and they will come and you make a report.

And therein begins the civil procedure.

Not quite correct . . . she has the right to refuse service, for certain reasons. Taking a statement and file a report is all the cops can do.

Then what? Go to court? You'd lose as she can make up a story to suit the occasion . . . and can then get you for harassment, defamation, nuisance etc . . .

Isn't it great to know both sides of the story! thumbsup.gif

Edited by Sing_Sling

Just seen this thread and would like to give a little more detail. Firstly, having done several years of business in Yaowarat, I know what the elderly Chinese Thais can be like. Difficult, rude, unhelpful and sometimes racist. Until they know you and you prove you spend money. And then they're just a little bit less of the aforementioned...a long as you're spending money. The Thais that I've worked with see it too and there are nicknames given to the shopkeepers in Thai which associate them with these negative stereotypical traits.

High End Audio was in the Hi Fi Centre opposite Central World until the building closed down, and some shops from there moved back to Amarin Plaza opposite Gaysorn. High End audio strangely enough moved to a high floor of MBK next to all the furniture shops. 99% of these shop's customers will be Thai, but I do know some expats and other Asian expats who have bought off them. No doubt some of them get tourists who come in to browse with no intention of buying...but hey....have a shop in a tourist shopping centre like Paragon or MBK and expect it. No doubt many Asian customers will come in dressed casually but actually be rich.

The floor of MBK was quiet when I went there and two guys who polishing £18,000 Focal Utopia speakers which may have recently arrived. Old lady was sitting in a chair in the middle of the room watching them. You know when you get a feeling you're not welcome and something like that will happen when you look at their face...that's what I had. I hadn't even got the door 5 inches open when I got waved away. The guys (one of which is the late 20-something owner) looked up then back to their polishing..no words. The Chinese lady looked back at them. So I opened it more asked if they were closed (the sign said open, the door was not locked, it was 3pm). I just wanted a reason. She couldn't speak English but just kept waving me out franticly as if I was a possible thief entering a gold shop. One of the guys then had to answer and said "yes, closed" before looking away, to which I said "oh, that's a shame because I was interested in some Focals you've got". No reply, no visual. Shocked and disappointed by this, not least because I talked with the guy 2 years ago at the hifi show, although he didn't remember this.

Money is the only objective, without first thinking that any browser could potentially be customer. Customer service or politeness don't come into it. In some other shops (like Audio Excellence and Piyanas) it does. I felt like contacting Focal, Accuphase and Verity...their 3 biggest brands...to convey my disappointment at being shooed away rudely, but then they might consider it a waste of time to communicate this as they know foreigners in Bangkok make up a tiny proportion of their wholesale profits. So instead I wrote on Hi End Audio's Facebook wall (which you can see) and got a quick apology from the young guy who on that day was quick to judge. He invited me to the hifi show once again, but the damage was done. I also implied that he should keep his Mama away from customers.

Edited by CarlBkk