Ever Been Told To Leave A Thai-Owned Shop ?

MrWorldwide

Not if it was her money you opened your toy-shop with...

Yeah, that did occur to me - where does a young guy come by the capital to open a high-end audio store ? Might go a long way to explaining why they found themselves in MBK - surely *the* bargain-basement destination in inner BKK - surrounded by people selling cheap tat and endless rows of mobile phones. Not the market I'd be looking for - it would be like trying to open a Porsche dealership outside Tesco.

The upside, for me, is that I wont be revisiting MBK unless its at the point of a gun, so I am unlikely to ever encounter Mama EatMySh*t.

Do you speak any Thai?

I`ve had this done to me in the past. On occasions when I, an obvious farang, have walked into a store and the owner has not been present, someone who maybe just minding the shop until the owner returns has given me hand gestures and nodded they`re head that appears to say; please leave, but what the person really means is that he/she does not speak English and is trying to tell me the owner is not there, but doesn`t know how to communicate with me in a way that I would understand. It`s all rather awkward for them.

So this could have been a misunderstanding on your part, which I think is more likely the case.

Otherwise if you do speak Thai, why did you not ask this woman; what is her problem?

Again, people assuming what thai people think and projecting their own views or assumptions onto them.

I'm not saying every case here is a clear cut example, but I have experienced this kind of thing before and believe me; when they start acting this way there is nothing you can say or do in any language.

I was once in a restaurant in Koh chang and asked in Thai where the bathroom was; to my complete and utter surprise this punk kid started screaming at me in the most horrible, rude gutteral english I have ever heard.

Basically went like this; I hate falangs that speak thai, thai is for thai people; get out now.

Btw; when this kind of thing does happen to these apologist doubters; you will have absolutely no reason to complain or to get sympathy from anybody. Remember that before you make assumptions.

You probably been around longer than I and know people from low to hi but I gotta tell you I have never met a Thai person who gave me anything but smiles for speaking Thai. I'd say your experience is one in a million.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good tale to tell, for a change.

Sometime ago I was shopping at one of the local markets. I wanted to buy some vegetables; there were 2 young kids serving, a girl of about 14 years old and a boy maybe a bit younger. As I stepped up to the stall, the kids suddenly burst into hysterical laughter. It was obvious that they were not used to dealing with farangs and the more I spoke Thai with them, the more they would laugh. They just considered the situation as funny.

But instead of losing my temper, I laughed with them. Then an elderly couple appeared on the scene, I guessed may have been the kids grandparents or relatives and then they started laughing as well. As a joke I said to the old lady, I think your laugh is very sexy, will you marry me and asked the guy, how much for your wife? He replied, you can have her for free, then all the other customers and some other stallholders began to laugh.

Since that time those kids now call me, Uncle, and they all look forward to my visits. Every so often they give my wife free vegetables and fruit and they know me by my first name, not as the farang anymore.

In Thailand, to every negative there are several positives. All you need to do is accept the country for what it is, always keep in mind that it is us who are the foreigners here, accept and lower your expectations. Leave the home country were it belongs, at home. Trust me, if you can do this, you will be happy and able to live in peace here.

• Like 1

I'm with Kilgore Trout - Thai people seem to share something with drunks when they become enraged : there is simply no reasoning with them. I have met Farang like that in the past, and they are usually referred to as 'mad bastards' - in Thailand, it just seems to be accepted that anyone who pushes a Thai's buttons to the point where they lose it needs to be prepared to deal with the result. Others point to the Thai male's tendency to repress a great deal in their daily life and completely unload on the unfortunate who 'pops the cork', but I'm fortunate in that I've only witnessed the women losing it. Having seen two Farang try to kill one another on Soi 7/1 because one dared to wear the 'wrong' football shirt, I don't believe the Thais have a monopoly on short fuses or irrational anger - YMMV. I don't follow Man U either, but I'm not willing to spend decades in a Thai jail for killing someone over his choice of shirt, <deleted> .....

For those who see this thread as a thinly veiled excuse for 'Thai bashing' (or Chinese/Chinese-Thai bashing). that wasn't my intent at all. I was trying to find out if anyone else had suffered a similar indignity to CarlBKK - some indicated that they had and others indicated that they have been in Thailand for years without any problems - great. Others have seen this as a great opportunity to sink the slipper into Thais - regardless of their ethnic backgrounds - and the odd Chinese shopkeeper. I doubt that anyone here has had uniformly good or bad experiences in Thailand - I certainly haven't - but the prospect of being waved out of a shop for no apparent reason still sits very uneasily with me, regardless of my legal rights or whatever. To those who see absolutely nothing wrong with a merchant treating you in that fashion, I hope you can walk that walk if and when the situation arises.

• Like 1

I'm with Kilgore Trout - Thai people seem to share something with drunks when they become enraged : there is simply no reasoning with them. I have met Farang like that in the past, and they are usually referred to as 'mad bastards' - in Thailand, it just seems to be accepted that anyone who pushes a Thai's buttons to the point where they lose it needs to be prepared to deal with the result. Others point to the Thai male's tendency to repress a great deal in their daily life and completely unload on the unfortunate who 'pops the cork', but I'm fortunate in that I've only witnessed the women losing it. Having seen two Farang try to kill one another on Soi 7/1 because one dared to wear the 'wrong' football shirt, I don't believe the Thais have a monopoly on short fuses or irrational anger - YMMV. I don't follow Man U either, but I'm not willing to spend decades in a Thai jail for killing someone over his choice of shirt, <deleted> .....

For those who see this thread as a thinly veiled excuse for 'Thai bashing' (or Chinese/Chinese-Thai bashing). that wasn't my intent at all. I was trying to find out if anyone else had suffered a similar indignity to CarlBKK - some indicated that they had and others indicated that they have been in Thailand for years without any problems - great. Others have seen this as a great opportunity to sink the slipper into Thais - regardless of their ethnic backgrounds - and the odd Chinese shopkeeper. I doubt that anyone here has had uniformly good or bad experiences in Thailand - I certainly haven't - but the prospect of being waved out of a shop for no apparent reason still sits very uneasily with me, regardless of my legal rights or whatever. To those who see absolutely nothing wrong with a merchant treating you in that fashion, I hope you can walk that walk if and when the situation arises.

Kilgore wrote a Thai got angry with him for speaking Thai. Has this ever happened to you?

Some old lady gives you a hint that for some reasons she did not want or was not able to serve you. And just for this minor inconvenience, you have created a whole thread. If I were to decide to give details of all the crap that has happened to me over the years, and I’m sure the same goes for each and everyone of us, then there would be enough material to form a whole new forum on the subject.

I wonder how you would handle a real crisis, for example, if the nasty policeman fined you 200 baht for speeding on a motorbike? Would that be a crime against humanity in your book?

It appears that you and some other posters are simply not adapted for the Thai way of life. Good luck to you and all who sail in her, because I truly cannot see you tolerating the lifestyles of Thailand for much longer.

Beetlejuice, where does it say that *I* was the person waved out of the audio store ? Please give me a quote I can work with - perhaps I have dyslexia and typed 'MrWorldwide' when I meant to type 'CarlBKK', or that last crack pipe really has taken its toll.

Maybe they had bad experience with other "farang" before, why would you be different? After all you are just farang, all farang is same, farang, farang, farang.

"Farang" again? Here are some other words you might find useful:

Neuroses

a psychological state characterized by excessive anxiety or insecurity, compensated for by defense mechanisms

Obsessive

tending to develop obsessions about particular people or things

Paranoia

a psychosis characterized by systematized delusions of persecution: a tendency on the part of an individual or group toward excessive or irrational suspiciousness and distrustfulness of others

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

i wasn't exactly asked to leave but a drunk sitting in a mom'n'pop chinese store loudly asked "why does a farang have to come here? this shop is for thais" and sort of looked at me in a threatening manner - all 4 foot 4 of him..... after that the thai friends i was visiting nearby went to the shop anytime we needed fags or beers.

on balance i've had more xenophobic bother from aggressive idiots visiting convenience shops at home in scotland based on a non-local accent, football shirt etc. thais may be out and out racists, but they reasonably passive about it.

Edited by GooEng

Beetlejuice, where does it say that *I* was the person waved out of the audio store ? Please give me a quote I can work with - perhaps I have dyslexia and typed 'MrWorldwide' when I meant to type 'CarlBKK', or that last crack pipe really has taken its toll.

you quoted CarlBKK', you are supporting CarlBKK', you have become CarlBKK', whoever he is.

you quoted CarlBKK', you are supporting CarlBKK', you have become CarlBKK', whoever he is.

Right - of course, that would be the logical answer, wouldn't it ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/user/19469-carlbkk/

'Whoever he is' has been here since 2005 - clearly, he hasn't had the pleasure of making your acquaintance. We should all be so lucky.

You probably been around longer than I and know people from low to hi but I gotta tell you I have never met a Thai person who gave me anything but smiles for speaking Thai. I'd say your experience is one in a million.

-

Kilgore wrote a Thai got angry with him for speaking Thai. Has this ever happened to you?

-

I have found it pretty common with people who make their living by overcharging or outright scamming newbie tourists.

Especially if you've allowed them to waste their precious time in polite banter in English for a while without revealing that you didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

However I have to admit I've never been screamed at in that context.

And in latter years I've just let that type of player know right up front I'm not a mark and let them move on to a softer target. . .

As a side note, I'm sure most here have noticed that it's not polite to actually pick up and handle merchandise unless you have a serious interest in possibly purchasing it.

Probably because no-one's reported it or no mods have noticed yet.

Don't worry, Fookhaht is on the case and may even get the buttons he's dreaming of.

No, just pissed off because I can't get away with it!!! tongue.png

P.S. Been there, got the buttons, not worth it....

Edited by Fookhaht

My old girlfriend got banned from Foodland in Pattaya. Yes to both meanings of old. I never met a Thai person who got banned from Foodland before. I considered it quite an accomplishment. I'd tell all the drunks on Soi BuaKhow and they would all nod in amazement. No one had ever met a person who had been banned from Foodland.

what did she do to be banned .... i am wondering .
She got in a lot of late night bar fights at Issan clubs and it was after I bailed her out one morning and we were having breakfast at Took Lai De she got in an altercation with the cooks. It was the from the chair directly to the right of the gentleman with suspenders in the photo that she leaped over the counter. Spry old girl she was.

So you are atracted to classy well behaved girls.

Good for you.

Maybe they had bad experience with other "farang" before, why would you be different? After all you are just farang, all farang is same, farang, farang, farang.

I think most of the shorts and flip flop farangs are same same....

Basically, you'd be happier to entertain Bernie Madoff in an expensive suit than Gandhi in sandals, right ? How very Thai of you. ;)

• Like 2

Basically, you'd be happier to entertain Bernie Madoff in an expensive suit than Gandhi in sandals, right ? How very Thai of you. wink.png

call it European.

you just don't go with street clothes into nice shops/churches/temples/government offices etc etc

Basically, you'd be happier to entertain Bernie Madoff in an expensive suit than Gandhi in sandals, right ? How very Thai of you. wink.png

how would you know a guy looking like a bum is of any significance?

Also, I think Ghandi was unlikely to buy high-end audio equipment, Madoff would have had more potential as a customer. So the suit wins.