Ever Been Told To Leave A Thai-Owned Shop ?

MrWorldwide

Rather than sitting through the whole re-run let's see if anyone can add anything new after scanning through this.

For example I do want to here how a old slapper got herself banned from Foodland.

I've come to the conclusion that Chinese shopkeeper tradition holds that the customer should consider themselves luckly to be allowed to purchase their wares.

Western culture (and global capitalism) has indoctrinated us both as consumers and businesspeople to think the other way around.

With the way things are going worldwide maybe we farang should be grateful for the few advantages we have left - for the moment.

And stop trying to teach them to change! wai2.gif

are you the full quid

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was asked to leave a small stall that was selling women's clothes once... The clothes only sold small anorexic style clothes that the Thais wear but I was actually shopping for a present for my friend. I ended up being asked to leave as I clearly too big to fit into these anorexic petite Thai fashion clothes.

I was actually quite offended... Not only did the bitch call me fat but she shoo'd me out of her shop before giving me a chance to explain that I wanted something for a friend as a present.

Also it was her attitude. It stunk.

But whatever... I went to another store and spent my money there. coffee1.gif

Are you suffering from some sort of paranoia?

When I go into a store and the staff tells me, mị̀ dị mī (no have), I smile, say; mai pen rai (no problem) Korb kun krup (thank you) and then just walk out.

If you live here, try to learn at least the basics of Thai language and leave the attitude at home, otherwise they will hate you and will not be welcome anywhere. This is Thailand and one cannot equate the types of services and attitudes of those in the West.

Believe this or not, if you conduct yourself in an appropriate manner, come down off your crosses and lose the attitude, Thai people will move mountains for you.

I am not religious, but I pray that wherever you people are, that you don`t decide to move near me and become my neighbors. You would not like me at all. My dogs bark, my neighbors and my family walk on each other’s land to take short cuts and some of our plants are over growing onto the next doors properties and likewise with the neighbors.

Definitely some real characters here to be avoided and to be totally frank, if I owned a store, I would not want to deal with you either.

I didn't have an attitude about me?! I was very polite to her... She called me a pig in Thai and my Thai language is basic enough to know when be insulted. I was also with a Thai friend at the time and even she said she was being rude!

We just left the shop and took our business else where. I was in no way rude to the lady. I was just offended by what she said, but I didn't even say anything back to her. Neither did my friend, it wasn't worth it.

I think you read more into my post than what I actually wrote. smile.png

Just ignore him, he's trolling. Some folk will take any animosity dished out at farang as being their fault so as to keep their false utopia blemish-free. The only thing you did wrong was not letting her have some back... something like 'I don't like your clothes anyway, Khon Lao'. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Rattler, surely you are aware of the battering that Quad's reputation has taken with the faithful since they moved production to China ? I dont have a problem with 'Made In China' as long as the quality control is in place, but it's not a happy ending for a company with Quad's pedigree.

In September 1997 the company changed ownership again as Verity Group sold off businesses to finance its development of flat panel loudspeakers. With Wharfedale it became part of the International Audio Group under the management of Bernard and Michael Chang. Since Walker's death in 2003, the firm has had only its design ethos—"the closest approach to the original sound"—in common with the British hi-fi firm he founded in 1936.[2]

The International Audio Group (IAG) is a Chinese manufacturer of consumer and professional audio & HiFi components. It is based inHuntingdon in the UK. It is owned and run by twin Taiwanese brothers Bernard and Michael Chang.

I've only ever been treated really nice, if not better than actual Thais in Thai owned shops. So I have nothing but great things to say, this over 5 years, and I've been living here the last 18 months.

• Like 1

My old girlfriend got banned from Foodland in Pattaya. Yes to both meanings of old. I never met a Thai person who got banned from Foodland before. I considered it quite an accomplishment. I'd tell all the drunks on Soi BuaKhow and they would all nod in amazement. No one had ever met a person who had been banned from Foodland.

She must be a lovely lady your ex-gf lol... must have a bak maa...biggrin.png

I haven't read all the posts,but i was in a thai store last week and,the owner stood up and with no expression waved at me, to what i thought was to leave,so i promptly left feeling pissed off.

my thai wife asked me why i left, i said" shop owner waved me to leave",she said no" he waved you in".

We as westerners wave" come in" with our palms facing up,thais wave to enter with palm facing down,apperntly waving with palm facing up in thai is offensive and is imitating female masturbation...so maybe OP it was a miss read of hand signals

I haven't read all the posts,but i was in a thai store last week and,the owner stood up and with no expression waved at me, to what i thought was to leave,so i promptly left feeling pissed off.

my thai wife asked me why i left, i said" shop owner waved me to leave",she said no" he waved you in".

We as westerners wave" come in" with our palms facing up,thais wave to enter with palm facing down,apperntly waving with palm facing up in thai is offensive and is imitating female masturbation...so maybe OP it was a miss read of hand signals

I'm going to need a female volunteer to show me exactly how this 'palm up' masturbation works - I have only ever seen it used in a downward fashion. If anything, pointing the palm downward looks very much like you are beckoning a servant ....

Makes one think twice about going to Pattaya again... Sorry, old habits die hard...

I've never had a problem in Pattaya out of the gazillion times I've been there with any shop keeper etc, though I seem to have a problem with taxis and tour operators, fuel vendors etc, every time I go to Phuket.

Edited by Jayroo

I'm going to need a female volunteer to show me exactly how this 'palm up' masturbation works - I have only ever seen it used in a downward fashion. If anything, pointing the palm downward looks very much like you are beckoning a servant ....

in oz we wave people in by putting palm up and waving fingers,the thais turn their hand over and move fingers it looks like they are waving us away..yes bit like beckoning a servant

I think the gesture of the hand up wave as we do is used by thai men to be crude to women as in i want to touch your ****,not the female touching herself

Edited by machans88

in oz we wave people in by putting palm up and waving fingers,the thais turn their hand over and move fingers it looks like they are waving us away..yes bit like beckoning a servant

I think the gesture of the hand up wave as we do is used by thai men to be crude to women as in i want to touch your ****,not the female touching herself

Bout time this fred started to head in the right direction.

I was literally thrown out of shop here in Sarakham a couple of days ago.

The story goes. I was going to do some electrical repair for a haidresser close to me and for that i needed certain spare parts. Walked in to a typical thai shop close to the wet market that looked as if could have what i needed. The shop was managed by a very old thai lady. Ok i started to explain in swedish, englit and ununderstandable thai what i needed, she looked devastated, sign language and pointing at things did not improve the situation. Probably out of pity for me old thai lady decides to stop this charade, she takes me by arm and walks me out to the street says something to me that i off course did not understand and points down the street at the pharmacy. I say kapom kap does that palm to palm bow and smiles to her, she looks very relieved. I did not find spare parts this day but managed to do temp repair for hairdresser.

Are you sure your thai is understandable? No one says kapom kap.

I doubt old women in Sarakham understand English let alone Swedish. If you had a shop in Sweden and a Japanese guy walked in speaking Japanese and Tibetan, would you give him your time?

Edited by Neeranam

I feel like I've been refused service at restaurants but can't be sure. Always when eating alone. One of the two times I waited a really good long while as others were served just to be sure what was happening. Then I just leave.

I'm a normal looking guy so I guess it just comes down to poor service and/or taking up table space

I feel like I've been refused service at restaurants but can't be sure. Always when eating alone. One of the two times I waited a really good long while as others were served just to be sure what was happening. Then I just leave.

I'm a normal looking guy so I guess it just comes down to poor service and/or taking up table space

Why didn't you ask why?

Why didn't you ask why?

Some thai staff are just too shy or not confident to go and ask the foreigner what he wants for fear of embarrassment in not understanding....had it happen few times

• Like 1

Why didn't you ask why?

Restaurants are a buyers market in Thailand.. one cultural thing I brought with me is I'm not giving somebody my money if they run a shity business. If I get shown a table at your restaurant and nobody comes to take my order I'm giving my money to someone else.

• Like 1

diddums, on 16 Mar 2013 - 19:27, said:

Neeranam, on 16 Mar 2013 - 19:25, said:

cms989, on 16 Mar 2013 - 19:22, said:

Why didn't you ask why?

Some thai staff are just too shy or not confident to go and ask the foreigner what he wants for fear of embarrassment in not understanding....had it happen few times

Seems to me more like some foreigners are just too shy or not confident to go and tell the Thai what he wants for fear of embarrassment in not understanding.

diddums, on 16 Mar 2013 - 19:27, said:

Neeranam, on 16 Mar 2013 - 19:25, said:

cms989, on 16 Mar 2013 - 19:22, said:

Why didn't you ask why?

Seems to me more like some foreigners are just too shy or not confident to go and tell the Thai what he wants for fear of embarrassment in not understanding.

To be clear these were pretty pedestrian establishments with many other options nearby. Once I got a sense the service was going to be terrible it made more sense just to walk 10 feet and go somplace else. These were places with waiter service so I'm not going to get up and beg them to give me food

To be clear these were pretty pedestrian establishments with many other options nearby. Once I got a sense the service was going to be terrible it made more sense just to walk 10 feet and go somplace else. These were places with waiter service so I'm not going to get up and beg them to give me food

No need to get up, I'd gesture them to come over.

Tough guy alert...

Tough guy alert...

The Thai gesture to come here is hardly tough looking laugh.png

The term is 'high end audio', and we aren't talking the latest whizbang creation from Bose. How many people (Thai or otherwise) do you know who would be willing to pay this sort of money for a pair of speakers ?

http://piyanas.com/shopping/productdetail.php?cat=80.90&id=3274〈=th

3 million baht for a pair of speakers (a little over if you need them delivered ..) - unless you know a street vendor who has that kind of money sitting in a drawer, I'm going to guess that it's very much a 'hi-so' thing. Add the 5-10 million you would probably spend on the electronics and cables to drive those speakers and I expect that you could buy a rather nice car for the total outlay - yep, even in Thailand.

(yep - Thai prices are inflated over what you would pay in the US for those speakers, but that's not really the point here)

Bose hi end, more like "Hype end" you want some real hi fi http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/Reference.aspx?lang=En

You know that there's a Bowers and Wilkins outlet in Siam Paragon,right?I think I may even have seen a pair of Nautilus speakers on display there!

This is funny beacause it's all in the timing and perception!

An Asian 'Come in' is signalled with the fist being closed more than it is open,whereas the Western 'Shooing away' is denoted by the opposite,palm horizontal to the floor longer than the fist.

BTW,I know anyone reading this will try it themselves for at least 5-10 seconds!laugh.png

A restaurant might wave you away if they have no English menu and don't think they can communicate with you. Same as a shop. To avoid embarassment. Not to insult.

Yea one thing I forget to learn in every place I visit.. and actually I don't even know the phrase I want to say in English.. but 'I am not picky, I want to order something popular here.' It's a message I can never get across and for 1-2 USD I don't really care if it backfires with a plate of fisheads now and again.

Usually I just want to be fed and am curious as to what they cook up. Maybe I should just point to something on the menu and ask for it, language be damned.

Edited by cms989

A restaurant might wave you away if they have no English menu and don't think they can communicate with you. Same as a shop. To avoid embarassment. Not to insult.

And just to be sure...they will call you a pig on your way out to make sure you understand never to come back.

Yea one thing I forget to learn in every place I visit.. and actually I don't even know the phrase I want to say in English.. but 'I am not picky, I want to order something popular here.' It's a message I can never get across and for 1-2 USD I don't really care if it backfires with a plate of fisheads now and again.

Usually I just want to be fed and am curious as to what they cook up. Maybe I should just point to something on the menu and ask for it, language be damned.

I'm no cunning linguist in Thai but how difficult is it to say 'Krapow Gai,Tom Yam Koong,Sing Yai Kab',in Thai?rolleyes.gif

I'm no cunning linguist in Thai but how difficult is it to say 'Krapow Gai,Tom Yam Koong,Sing Yai Kab',in Thai?rolleyes.gif
A lot harder than just pointing at a photo or pointing at a dish someone else is eating.

But just to be left at the table because the staff are afraid to serve you is just astonishing. Though perhaps if you owned a restaurant you would find it acceptable of you staff to ignore someone.

They'd call you a monitor lizard or a buffalo if they were kicking you out with anger. They don't use pig in that way in Thailand. But I'm just an apologist...what do I know?

Well at least your last sentence is the first truthful thing you have ever posted. Good for you.