Buying A Mattress.

Almera

After suffering different Thai mattresses

(iron ones with tinny cloth layer =Thai idea of a matrass , no wonder they like sleeping on floorbiggrin.png )

in different condos I bought my own , a DUNLOPPILO latex one who let me feel like sleeping on a cloud......, price in sales offer at Home Pro Pattaya 12000 bhat , I could sell my bed ..... but not anymore my mattress

clap2.gif

attachicon.gifAfbeelding(15).jpg attachicon.gifAfbeelding(15).jpg

David do you feel sleeping on a latex mattress is really hot? i have a sealy one and cannot sleep on it unless i have my aisr con on as it is just so hot .but i agree it is like sleeping on a cloud. and I am no angel

the hot feeling has nothing to do with the mattres as you must realize .... this is Thailand and it is HOT here .....and as you say not to be an angel .... the flames of hell are maybe warning you .....biggrin.png

Edited by david555

I bought a mattress which was far too soft so bought a 2000 baht topper, made it feel like new.

I take its a kids mattress being 5 feet, even if a Thai is 5ft tall they will be not comfortable in a 5 foot mattress.

5ft is the width - standard King in UK or I think queen in US. Length is normally (not always) a standard length depending on the width. 6ft for a 5ft and 6ft 6" for a 6 ft - I think?

The standard length here is 6½ feet for both the Single (3 feet), Queen (5 feet) and King (6 feet) size mattresses/sheets etc.

Sophon

• Like 1

if i only had 10k id head to homepro. i spent a lot more on my mattress, and in hindsight i feel the much cheaper ones at homepro may have been just as good. next time. but who knows, maybe those 12k homepro deals fall apart?

until now my Dunloppillo from Home pro did not fall apart , and neighter I disappeared in a sinkhole lying on it ...(yet !)biggrin.png

., but it came from "sales time " at home pro and it is 18 cm thick latex one

Go for firmness above all. THB15,000 seems to bring up some decent examples. No need for a well-known brand.

Beware of salesmen who try to persuade you that rubber is better then springs. They cost twice the price and no-one has convinced me that they are better.

Foam Rubber is also much hotter than the standard coil and springs plus padding. A hot bed can be annoying in the heat of Thailand.

I just can't believe that someone on this thread is telling the OP not to buy a matress that is too soft!blink.png
In my experience I've NEVER come across a matress in Thailand that I could even begin to call too soft,quite the opposite in fact.Thais seem to love the good old box spring and if you can't bounce a coin off it that hits the roof,it's no good!
I've always wondered why but then seeing Thais sleeping on the pavement,bank steps and other generally uncomfortable places I just assumed it was training for that!
To the guy who got the Dunlopillo matress for just 12,000 baht,fantastic!As previously mentioned I would have thought 25-50,000 baht is what you would need to spend to get a Western style and quality matress!

I just can't believe that someone on this thread is telling the OP not to buy a matress that is too soft!blink.png

In my experience I've NEVER come across a matress in Thailand that I could even begin to call too soft,quite the opposite in fact.Thais seem to love the good old box spring and if you can't bounce a coin off it that hits the roof,it's no good!

I've always wondered why but then seeing Thais sleeping on the pavement,bank steps and other generally uncomfortable places I just assumed it was training for that!

To the guy who got the Dunlopillo matress for just 12,000 baht,fantastic!As previously mentioned I would have thought 25-50,000 baht is what you would need to spend to get a Western style and quality matress!

Aren't you contradicting yourself? Why would a person want to buy a mattress that is "too soft"? I think you can get any iteration of mattress firmness here.

Aren't you contradicting yourself? Why would a person want to buy a mattress that is "too soft"? I think you can get any iteration of mattress firmness here.

That's the question I'm asking,where's the contradiction there?rolleyes.gif

Thai mattresses are indeed hard as cement and as one who can't sleep on them, I suggest you ask the relative in question how they feel about extremely hard (not just firm, hard) mattresses before you invest in buying a new one.

Some people are fine with them or even prefer them, but if the visiting relation is anything like me you'd be better off with a 1,000 Baht inflatable air mattress.

Thai mattresses are indeed hard as cement and as one who can't sleep on them, I suggest you ask the relative in question how they feel about extremely hard (not just firm, hard) mattresses before you invest in buying a new one.

Some people are fine with them or even prefer them, but if the visiting relation is anything like me you'd be better off with a 1,000 Baht inflatable air mattress.

You know that it is better for back pain but you still cannot sleep on them ?

All my friend who said that just never tried enough.

I love them and cannot understand people sleeping on soft mattress when they know it's wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

BTW,

IKEA had a great sales display, with cut-through demo's pf each model, guaranteed for 25 years, really terrific info and choice, and price! until it came to picking it up and they didn't have the one I wanted in the size I wanted, and seemed to be out of stock for most of them. Oh well. Need it by next week so into Homepro and they have some very good promo's on.

I'm only interested in King-Size, 6 feet, 180cm or whatever you term in your country, lot's of Slumberland on 50% off from 30k to about 15k, with an extra 'I give you 5% more off' plus Homepro card they give an extra 10% off.

Plus other 'brandnames' that I don't know. So for 6 feet around 12-13k for Slumberland and others.

Will probably go for one of them tomorrow if they can deliver before Songkran.

A good matterss is one you like.

I thought it would be one you like and doesn't have a large hollow after 2 years.

I'll splash the extra few k :rolleyes: and go for one of the Slumberland ones. I never automatically belief Thai stores and their 'before' prices on promotion items, but they seem to have brand recognition and if really usually anything close to 30k then are a good deal at around 12-13k with all promos and discounts.

Edited by Almera

My vynil mattress has taken some pounding and is still as firm as the day I bought it. I turn it over and round every month. No roll together, not that I get more than a few inches to myself :(

Cost me under 5K Baht on Pattaya Thai. A bargain. Easy to clean too. I'd not buy a cloth covered one here again.

• Like 1

I bought a mattress which was far too soft so bought a 2000 baht topper, made it feel like new.

I take its a kids mattress being 5 feet, even if a Thai is 5ft tall they will be not comfortable in a 5 foot mattress.

WHERE in Thailand did you find a soft mattress ? They seem to be rarer than white elephants....

I love them and cannot understand people sleeping on soft mattress when they know it's wrong.

It is not better for back to sleep on a concrete hard surface. In fact, it causes back pain ..and hip pain...and shoulder pain as well as bad lower back pain since the fact that there is no give at all to the mattress means the back is arched up rather than supported, and the bones of the hip and shoulder get too much pressure on them. Sheer torture and no amount of "trying" helps.

Sagging mattresses are bad for the back, no question, and that is apparently where the belief in hard mattresses comes from. But all that is needed is a mattress that is firm enough not to sag, not a rock hard surface. A mattress should give enough to accomodate the hips and shoulders of a side sleeper while still also supporting (rather than arching upward) the back. And for someone who sleeps on their back, it needs to have enough give for the butt to settle down into it enough that the lower back has support -- again, rather than being uncomfortably arched upwards.

(This may be more of a problem for women than for men given our shapes ...one neither our backs nor our sides are we a straight line.)

We had 2 guest from Europe in our place for two weeks. I bought mattresses from a country town roadside stall. They offered three sizes, the smallest size and the cheapest one being a 110 cm x 195 cm ,the height being about 8-9 cm, stuffed with a firm kind of foam-rubber mix. As they fit the exact size of two new wooden 110 x 195 bedframes for our 2 kids ( which I carpentered up with an eye on those mattress specs) and cost 1000 Baht each, I bought 4 pieces. We laid two of them together ( one on top of the other) in each bed, it makes a nice perfect cushion. Covered them with cotton duvets. After my guests had left, our kids were happy for these mattresses, they keep using both, they are way better than any cheap spring mattresses where you soon feel the springs sticking at your body. You can even flip them over every 3 months, thus stressing all sides simultaneously, and I give them a life span of maybe 6 years, which for this price ( 4000 THB for 4 pieces) is a bargain.As your guests only stay for one month, the foam will not be overly stressed by the extra weight during such a short usage.

When buying the mattress, I strongly suggest, be careful, look out for fakes,as some stalls sell different quality, same size, same flower/roses/stripes design covers, but on those fakes you can press the cushion between two fingers, the foam is soft and absolute rubbish. Test them thoroughly,try to fold them up if they are way a bit too firm to fold they are just right, don't mind to cross check with different dealers just to make sure you buy the good ones that use a firm and strong foam.

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

Some of the new mattresses I see in Homeworks seem very thick. I wonder if there is a problem in getting fitted sheets to fit these? The existing mattress I have barely allows a fitted sheet to be stretched over it. The price of bed linen in Thailand is outrageous, I could buy better quality for half the price in Australia, but it works out expensive if I fly home just to buy a couple of sheets.

• Like 1

Some of the new mattresses I see in Homeworks seem very thick. I wonder if there is a problem in getting fitted sheets to fit these? The existing mattress I have barely allows a fitted sheet to be stretched over it. The price of bed linen in Thailand is outrageous, I could buy better quality for half the price in Australia, but it works out expensive if I fly home just to buy a couple of sheets.

Try ikea in bangkok

It is not better for back to sleep on a concrete hard surface. In fact, it causes back pain ..and hip pain...and shoulder pain as well as bad lower back pain since the fact that there is no give at all to the mattress means the back is arched up rather than supported, and the bones of the hip and shoulder get too much pressure on them. Sheer torture and no amount of "trying" helps.

Sagging mattresses are bad for the back, no question, and that is apparently where the belief in hard mattresses comes from. But all that is needed is a mattress that is firm enough not to sag, not a rock hard surface. A mattress should give enough to accomodate the hips and shoulders of a side sleeper while still also supporting (rather than arching upward) the back. And for someone who sleeps on their back, it needs to have enough give for the butt to settle down into it enough that the lower back has support -- again, rather than being uncomfortably arched upwards.

(This may be more of a problem for women than for men given our shapes ...one neither our backs nor our sides are we a straight line.)

I used to be a "firm" believer in hard mattresses until I slept on a high quality pillow-top. I ended up buying a nice king set in the US and shipping it here. Best money I ever spent.

Bought a dunlopillo mattress from Homepro. Very expensive 18k baht. It's pocket springs with 2 in layer of latex combination. Been trying to break it in for a month now and my back hates it! #1 buying an expensive matress doesn't mean that your body will like it better. #2 laying down on it for 15 mins in the store will tell you nothing regarding whether your body will like it. Takes at least 2-3 nights to see if you'll like it.

Slept on a cheap 5000baht matress for the past 2 years just fine. Not great but good. Life lesson learn. From now on I'll start off buying cheap

Haven't had a good nights sleep in a month. TOnight I'm sleeping on the floor.

Try ikea in bangkok

I got mine from Ikea because I believe Ikea quality, as kinda half ass as it is, is 100% better than this index or SB stuff. That said, the mattress is one of the few items I regret buying there. They don't have a very large selection, mine was expensive, and I believe the dimensions are a bit longer than normal, forcing me to buy Ikea sheets (not sure about this actually?). I don't know, next time I'll go to homepro and spend about 10k, I think it is a better option. Other furniture I choose Ikea, and all of it has been holding up well.

Edited by isawasnake