Honda Cb 500 X

anto

I have ridden all over Bangkok for many years. I mean a lot. I reckon I have more BKK motorbike mileage than 99% of posters here. In tight central BKK traffic, there is no way a CB 500 X, which I now own, is going to be more convenient than a much narrower scooter. It is simply too wide and cannot do those narrow 90 degree turns through the cars when you are negotiating through queues. No way. Anybody claiming otherwise is just stupid grandstanding.

I reckon some of the 2-stroke, now no longer sold, bikes e.g. NSR or the old, carburettor CBR 150 would be the quickest. But if you are determined enough and prepared to reduce margins to fractions of an inch then a Honda Wave will keep up with anything in the traffic.

Well that's funny, when I am really stuck in traffic, it is because of those scooters who can't go through because of their wide mirrors.

I go between busses and see the scooters in my mirrors come to a stop because they are too wide.

Yep, thats funny. I measured my Nouvo scooter and my stock CBR150i now smile.png

Width Handlebar Nouvo: 65cm

Width Handlebar CBR150: 70cm

Width Mirrors Nouvo: 75cm

Width Mirrors CBR150: 85cm

The mirrors on the Nouvo aren't stock, i changed them to PCX mirrors, which are a bit wider. I keep my mirrors in a "wide position" because if not they are useless (my shoulders are too wide i guess).

But even with folded mirrors the CBR150 is wider. And i guess the CBR500 isn't smaller?

So it comes down to skill again :-)

• Like 1

It's funny seeing people think that the cheap Honda 500 twins are actual big bikes worthy of respect. Probably even bought on finance for 40,000 baht down. biggrin.png Anyone can buy one for peanuts. Unless a beginner or a female I wouldn't recommend doing so though.

That is quite an assumption to make, I for one paid my bike in cash, green book in my name from day one.

• Like 1

It's funny seeing people think that the cheap Honda 500 twins are actual big bikes worthy of respect. Probably even bought on finance for 40,000 baht down. biggrin.png Anyone can buy one for peanuts. Unless a beginner or a female I wouldn't recommend doing so though.

It would be funny to see someone try to race one of these monsters ( biggrin.png ) against a Wave125 from On-Nut to Siam on a Friday at 6pm. cheesy.gif The guy on the cheap Honda would have his ass served to him by the guy on the even cheaper Honda. biggrin.png

If that's your attempt at thinking, I'd give it up as a bad job.

• Like 1

It's funny seeing people think that the cheap Honda 500 twins are actual big bikes worthy of respect. Probably even bought on finance for 40,000 baht down. Posted Image Anyone can buy one for peanuts. Unless a beginner or a female I wouldn't recommend doing so though.

It would be funny to see someone try to race one of these monsters ( Posted Image ) against a Wave125 from On-Nut to Siam on a Friday at 6pm. Posted Image The guy on the cheap Honda would have his ass served to him by the guy on the even cheaper Honda. :D

Just be careful what you are saying.

Dont get a challange and get your a.s screwed on a wave!

Be careful:D

Comments about buying a cbr500 is like buying peanuts is absurd. Now you say money talks and a 500 k bike is not always better and owning such a bike does not make you a better rider as well.Wonder what you own?

A cbr250 still right?:D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

That is quite an assumption to make, I for one paid my bike in cash, green book in my name from day one.

The only way to do it imo.

It's funny hearing of TEFLers talking about owning a 'proper' 'big' bike that the local somtam seller could buy. biggrin.png

And there you go with your assumptions again.

I am not a TEFLer.

You talk like you know me, but you just know diddly squat (had to write this silly word, because the words I had in mind would ban me for sure)

So it comes down to skill again :-)

Of course it does. Always. Skills make you fly over the traffic like a bird Posted Image

Especially if you give your skills a boost by visiting the Honda Riding School. Highly recommended Posted Image

That is a great training course. I've done four days there already. The tight turns were quite tricky with my CBR 1000 at first. They also have CBR 150s, 250s, and 650 Hornets that you can use. They may have some 500s now as well. I thought I knew it all before I took the training, but I am a much better rider because of it.
  • Like 2

Good review from Rideapart.

The Verdict

Want an easy-to-ride, fun, affordable bike to commute around the city during the week, then head off on a trip during the weekend? Whether you’re a novice looking for your first new bike or an experienced rider looking to save some money, you just found it.
To all my friends who’ve been waiting to hear if they should buy one: yes you should.
RideApart Rating: 10/10

cant wait to get my hands on it...

Exhaust mod, anyone?

Thanks for the video! Just wished it was possible to assembly the pipe and drill a nice clean whole from the other side of the silencer.

I think a long Hilti bit through the exhaust outlet would be much better and cleaner than the way these guys did it. Anyone want to volunteer their 500 for a test?

• 3 months later...

Would appreciate any views from CB500X (or other CB 500's) owners on it's extended use in Bangkok traffic.

I live on Sukhumvit Road so any ride out starts with 45 minutes of grinding traffic and so the clutch action is critical for me as well as the ease of finding neutral.

I'm already sold on the bike for out of town use .... but I'm considering stumping up the extra for the NC700X (or 750X?) to get auto for the city.

Thanks!

Would appreciate any views from CB500X (or other CB 500's) owners on it's extended use in Bangkok traffic.

I live on Sukhumvit Road so any ride out starts with 45 minutes of grinding traffic and so the clutch action is critical for me as well as the ease of finding neutral.

I'm already sold on the bike for out of town use .... but I'm considering stumping up the extra for the NC700X (or 750X?) to get auto for the city.

Thanks!

i rode cb500x and it is perfect for the city.

Clutch action on these 500 hondas are perfect. effortless and accurate. finding neutral is a breeze either while standing or running. of course clutch get better after a thousand km or two, you have to break it in.

comfy ergos, good high sight.

cb500x is the best value bike among these 500 cc better value than cbr500r but of course not my style and if it its your style, just go forward.

And it will be a much more better commuter than nc700x for Bangkok as cb500x is 30 kgs lighter and offers a great and stable low speed ride.

No need to fork out additional 150 k. You can get panniers, box, pipe, protectors and more for 50 k and use the other 100 k for fuel and maintenance for long years.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Family on the move I have had a CBX for about 5 weeks now and have already put 2800k's on it.

I have to echo what ll2 says as I have found it to be a really nice comfortable easy to ride bike and though I don't live in Bkk I have done quite a bit of riding through Pattaya over Xmas and New Year with traffic gridlocked and the the bike goes through the traffic just as easy as the RKV does but with much better visibility being as you are higher up. I have not really had any issues with the clutch in heavy traffic and it is pretty much impossible to stall, I initially thought I might miss the gear indicator but that has not been an issue at all

The seat and ergonomics are comfortable for prolonged riding and tbh the bike has got better and better, it feels way powerful enough for me and if you want to open it up it gets up to speed fast enough for most of the conditions that I have found and getting up to 150 is quick and easy

The bike is very stable on the roads and highways in heavy fast moving traffic and being 2 up does not seem to affect the power as far as I can tell. The brakes are really good overall though the back needs a bit of pressure applied but the ABS works really well

Overall I really rate it and I am struggling to think of any negatives and other than the position of the horn button and indicators that others have mentioned I cant really think of any, other than that I reckon it is pretty much perfect for Thailand and would highly recommend it, if you buy one I am certain you will not be disappointed....

Edited by mark131v
  • Like 2

i think they have red and white now and no black what i know.

Red one is OK.

of course cbr650f is a better bike but you ave to ask yourself if you need more power and weight for Bangkok.

CBR250

Thanks for that. I thought there might be an easier way but there probably isn't. The very quick bike explanation given by the Honda mechanic when I bought it suggested I look from the rear left of the bike, down into the bike. It doesn't work. You cannot see the upper and lower level.

bramds

It must be cool in your parallel universe Bangkok. I would like to visit some day. tongue.png

Raid the missus's makeup kit and find some red polish. Get in there and a quick swab on the upper and lower marks works wonders at improving visibility.

i think they have red and white now and no black what i know.

Red one is OK.

of course cbr650f is a better bike but you ave to ask yourself if you need more power and weight for Bangkok.

I thought they did that nasty Matt grey one?

Big Wing has red and matt black.

I also tried the NX 700 auto. At traffic filtering speeds both bikrs are good, but 500x seems to have quite a tall first gear so clutch slipping and back brake dragging needed for very slow speed between car work. Is this what owners have found?

The 700 auto feels heavier and a bit wider but is so smooth with bags of low down torque.

It's more than the 500 though at 350k - but not sure what to get now.

Sent from my C6902 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm really enjoying my CB500F even at traffic it's good enough to cut between, but the down torque is the best of it. loving it... I wanted to get the CB650F, but just dont want to wait 8 months...

sometimes I feel some twitch when downshifting from 2nd to 1st, during passing by the neutral it makes a sound and twitches. maybe it's normal for a new engine?

Kinda strange that only Honda bigwing can change the engine oil. It has to be during regular maintenance with their Semi or Full Synthetic oil, otherwise warranty is void... that's crazy!

fred.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 500F and do slip the clutch at low speeds. Quite normal on a bike and it has a wet clutch so no problemo.

The gear box is 'clunky' but accurate - nice and solid.

I think you'd get bored of the 700 and wonder why you paid so much money for a lesser bike.

Yeah the gear box is loud as hell. I think people sitting in the cars can hear me shifting lol. Sometimes mine slips through second into third. Need to get that looked into.

Remember when i shifted from 5th to 4th but it dropped into 3rd as soon as i let go clutch my rear wheel spun out i almost lost it. Was fun but scary

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Another data point on the CB500X having a clunky gear box. It's gotten a lot better though. I also had issues at time finding neutral; Kawasaki's shift down to first and push up to lock into neutral that the Ninja 250 has is really missed.