Road Tolls In Thailand Among Highest In The World

webfact

He told the press that the key causes for the deaths were speeding,

drunk driving or the failure to wear safety belts or crash helmets

I would think law enforcement/punishment (or lack of) might have something to do with it.

or ...ignorance ,arrogance ,incompetence and recklessness....and a few more besides !
This is the answer---THEY don't give a dam. period
  • Like 1

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think for the amount of traffic Bangkok drivers are not that bad. I have driven here for 5 years with out incident, but have seen the odd car upside more than likely a 4.30 am drive home after drinking.

Go to Vietnam, you want to see some of the most idiotic drivers in the World they are it, I swear their necks have bolts in them so they cannot turn their heads. Drive on any side of the road, at least India drivers look occasionally they never do. I have even drove in India looks worse that what it is. Would like to know the stats in Vietnam will leave Thailand for dead.

Also if they drove in Thailand they would not last 5 minutes maybe some of the deaths are Vietnamese trying to drive in Thailand.

Yesh my Wife always uses that sh*t excuse too when I say Thailand is the worst for driving...........her Thainess kicks in, she says "no India is worse"

About 98% or so of the motorcycle riders never look at oncoming traffic before entering onto a road. They just come on out. Same thing with changing lanes. Just zip over into the next lane without looking back. But when they are not taught road safety that is to be expected?

And another thing that makes my blood boil is a mother, caretaker will be walking with a 2/3 year old child on a road with the child on the road side of the mother/caretaker next to the traffic.

Have you also noticed even Thai dogs are stupid??

The problem is many Thais actually stop or swerve round them, the dog learns it so doesnt move.

What i love is when any truck or car passes another on a 2-3 lane road they simply cannot stay in their lane they drift wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy over into the other lane, in effect using 1.5 lanes to pass.

But of course. The idiot they are passing is probably falling asleep - don't want to wake him up.

Last October riding my motor cycle, a Thai shot accross the main road in front of me, I swerved to avoid him and came off my M/Bike--dislocated and broke my shoulder, still on physio and will never ever regain full use.

At the scene the Thai man NEVER said sorry, he didn't have licence/hat/ totally to blame, the police arrived -no report as he said I collided with no one so I lost control, I was taken to hospital-no charges were put on the Thai. I believe he paid the BIB so no report. My 1 experience in 31 years, maybe I am lucky,, but this Thai was typical here, Just no road manners, and not care, same the enforcement.

No punnishment.

About 98% or so of the motorcycle riders never look at oncoming traffic before entering onto a road. They just come on out. Same thing with changing lanes. Just zip over into the next lane without looking back. But when they are not taught road safety that is to be expected?

And another thing that makes my blood boil is a mother, caretaker will be walking with a 2/3 year old child on a road with the child on the road side of the mother/caretaker next to the traffic.

The problem is many Thais actually stop or swerve round them, the dog learns it so doesnt move.

Sure have. They will lay in the road and let you run over them if you don't blow the horn.

Sure have. They will lay in the road and let you run over them if you don't blow the horn.
They are a death trap, for a car not so bad collision is damage--a motor cycle will come off his bike if he hits one, The fear for me are mostly Thai m/cycle riders and dogs on the road or suddenly running in front of you. BUT at Song Grahn the buckets of water and High pressure hoses are deadly, but the Thais say this is their FUN time of the year. Death toll--fun ???

No real surprise for anyone that drives or rides, the stupidity is beyond belief. However it can only be resolved by the Thais and there is no will or imclination to do so, as such it will continue unabated. It is true though that you can adapt to the pandemomium, most skilled drivers have no problems in surviving the Thai daily Death Race.

• Like 2

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,

Los has a HUGE PAID Police force where only a small percentage are given orders, the rest do what they want, end of story and end of making the roads safer. Children will die every day cos a cop isn't out there doing or told to do his stuff. WE see it every day but those in well paid police hi-so positions do nothing to control staff to teach and protect those who don't understand.

• Like 1

He told the press that the key causes for the deaths were speeding,

drunk driving or the failure to wear safety belts or crash helmets

I would think law enforcement/punishment (or lack of) might have something to do with it.

or ...ignorance ,arrogance ,incompetence and recklessness....and a few more besides !

or failure to conduct proper testing and training on how to drive and road rules.B

Not to mention the dumbest policy of fining those without license and letting them keep on driving, after they paid 500 baht

Human nature is a very funny and confusing thing.

When SARS reared it's ugly head, there was mass panic in Thailand. Many measures were put in place at border crossings and around the country for fear of the disease spreading. People put themselves out by wearing those silly little masks and limiting contact with others. All of this for a grand death total in Thailand of........................2!

If any disease was claiming 26,000 lives per year in Thailand , all of the stops would be pulled out to come up with a solution ASAP with no expense spared, but when it comes to road deaths, there is a very nonchalant attitude by both the authorities and road users as though it is something that comes with the territory. Well, IT"S NOT!!!! Everybody has the right to use the road and expect to get from A to B without dying. It's high time something is done, something more than the usual band aid which we all know doesn't work. All that's needed to save tens of thousands of lives per year, is for a very select few at the top to pull their fingers out. How many more lives must needlessly be lost? Unfortunately, I think we all know the answer to that question.

For that they would first have to have a real police force and justice system....not what they have now.
For better or worse, we have real police. Most of the time they don't bother enforcing the law. The police simply don't care unless they can make a few baht. But it really starts with education of the young - kindy students should be learning about safety and it should be pounded into kids until high school. Then perhaps people will actually WANT to wear a helmet/ride more safely, rather having it forced on them externally. Extrinsic measures rarely work to change behaviour.

According to Durex, Thais have very small penises and spend very little time when making love.

With cars being little more than a penis substitute or extension, those 2 facts may explain their driving methods.

Also,if you watch how they dither and meander around cluelessly on footpaths and in shopping centres, another source of their driving habits is easily traced.

Edited by Soi Sauce
  • Like 2

I am amazed it is not 3 times higher the way Thais drive and thier total disregard for the road rules. Running red lights overtaking left turning vehicles on the left, speeding, cutting in front and no helmets just to scratch the surface

I agree, it surprises me, too, that there are no more accidents. Given the sheer number of motosais that swerve and cruise around in neglect of simple traffic rules, it is truly "amazing Thailand" ! I once concluded that if they had the same traffic conditions in Germany, the road toll would be triple that of the Thai road toll. Taken into account, of course, you can adept to everything, and the Thais between themselves have all got used to their fellow road-ragers to act like they do - and everyone has simply adjusted to it. The issue with the Schools-out hours , you only see so many kidsaround for exactly this time, never many before or after this. The police takes it for granted the kids have to get back home safe and sober, no matter how. A Thai drivers license has absolutely no effect on driving lessons or skills - it is just a piece of paper, that's why the coppers don't enforce it.

Some posters mention India - my buddy once used to say, " in Thailand you must not only look into the direction where the traffic comes from when you enter the road, but reckon there might be someone going the opposite way down the road - so always look both ways, left AND right ! However for India, you must include looking upward for any drivers falling from the skies ! " This says it all about who might be world's masters of the chaos traffic universe !

In my opinion lot of european drivers are much worse drivers - they do stupid, abrupt maneuvers which lead to accidents. In Thailand, car drivers use to join the traffic in slow-motion, never in a quick move. I love the time lapse they give me in calculating their next move by 100%. Some western drivers are hard to be figured out what they will do next. Thai's seem to have their very own logic, and when you are fit enough to adept, you will LOVE driving here.

Of course I have had my large share of idiots on motorcycles . . . matter of fact I have an eye for them, the foot ready over the brake, and always expect the worst to happen. Power of Presumption has saved hundreds of motosai drivers from being run over by me in the recent years. I am mostly weary for those who don't have any rear view mirrors on their bikes. Also, kids on bikes always get to hear my horn and I pass them with a lot of space between us. Dogs get my horn as well. Motorbike riders not looking when they enter the road are a rule here, I am alright with that, since I see them first at almost all times and can put space between them and my car. Also, that's what the motorcycle track in the left curb is for - it is not meant for cars, it is meant for bikes to join the traffic without having to look first. So why complain, this is Thailand and it's supposed to be like that.

I think going through a red light is normal here . .ever watched what happens when the lights turn green - the first few in the junction tend to be a bit more weary - people who have been driving for some time KNOW there is a chance of someone running the red light. Only inexperienced and drunk are careless.

My five cents - drive defensively. Look ahead of yours. Ride safe, sober always.

UPDATE:
Road death toll in Thailand among highest in the world

Tanpisit Lerdbamrungchai,
Suriyan Panyawai
The Nation

30202066-01_big.jpg
Schoolchildren join a campaign encouraging motorcycle riders to wear helmets. Failure by many Thais to put on helmets has been cited as the leading cause of the country

BANGKOK: -- Up to 26,000 people are killed in road accidents every year in Thailand, which puts the country in the 6th spot in terms of road casualties. Of those killed, up to 70 or 80 per cent are motorcyclists or their passengers.

These statistics were released at a press conference by Vice Interior Minister Silapachai Jarukasemratana yesterday.

He told the press that the key causes for the deaths were speeding, drunk driving or the failure to wear safety belts or crash helmets - all of which are offences under traffic laws.

Last year, just 43 per cent of motorcyclists and their passengers nationwide wore helmets, down from 46 per cent a year earlier.

Dr Witaya Chadbanchachai, who is collaborating with the World Health Organisation (WHO) in an accident-prevention campaign, said yesterday that relevant agencies needed to work harder on getting people to wear helmets.

Silapachai said that since 1996, all motorcyclists and motorcycle passengers have been required by law to wear a helmet.

"Without helmets, both motorcyclists and passengers face the risk of sustaining serious head injuries in road accidents," he said.

According to the 2011 World Road Statistics, Thailand was one of the top five countries with the highest number of motorcycle-related deaths.

Danai Ruangsorn, president of the Thai Roads Foundation, said the percentage of children wearing helmets on motorcycles was also very low.

"Just 7 per cent wear a helmet," he said.

Last year's survey showed that only about 28 per cent of teenage motorcyclists and about 49 per cent of adults wore helmets. Bangkok had the highest number or 80 per cent of helmet wearers, while only 20 per cent of motorcyclists in Beung Kan, Lamphun, Chaiyaphum, Narathiwat and Nakhon Phanom were found wearing helmets.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-16

At least someone in a postion of authority has finally stood up and given the true figure instead of the official 12000 per year.

All it takes to impact on the tragic total is enforcement of existing laws.

Make riders where a helmet, drive respinsibly and with respect for the consequences of their actions.

Strict enforcement of drink driving laws would have a large impact too I suspect.