Please Help Me, But Don't Expect A Thanks

jbrain

Have you thought that maybe people don't come back on and give there thanks because like i have done in the past have come on here because as you say it can be very informative especially for us that don't live there and only come for a few weeks at a time to ask a simple question and all we get is sarcasm, the p**s taken out of us or our question, some of you are so up your own backsides because you have been living there for some time and you seem to forget that you were once a newcomer or vacationer there and didn't know your way round or how to go on, i just have to laugh at some of the comments i have got but i would imagine some people get quite offended...i think that some of you must be quite bitter and sad people that you cant just give a civil answer ... there you go now i have had my rant and no doubt i will get a load of abuse now!!!

awwww...diddums

When I try to be helpful, I do it with no expectation of any kind, but if someone does take the time to say thanks, that's nice but by no means necessary. It's an anonymous forum thus many people dispense with niceties and manners. You have generational differences as well. I think netiquette as practised by say an under 30 would be different from an older poster of say over 60.

I think it doesn't have anything to do with netiquette or age, it is more an issue of selfishness in my opinion. I have seen threads that got more than 3 pages of useful info to the OP's request yet it was too much for him to return to his thead once. However he has opened several help requests before and since with always the same attitude.

What also marks those posters is that will never appear in another thread to offer help to other posters. This forum is considerd to them as their personal database.

As another posters said already, a simple word of thanks goes a long way.

I agree. Saying or typing a "thank you" is universal. No age group or ethnicity is excused.

I will give you guys an example of how etiquette changes over time and how different generations get annoyed at different things. 20 years ago it was rude to answer your mobile phone whilst in polite company. Fast forward to today, some think it's rude but more think it's acceptable with a mere "excuse me, I've gotta take this important call". My father would get annoyed, I am a little more tolerant but many younger people will just think it's normal behaviour.

you really think gen x, y and beyond really care if old geezers get worked up because they forgot to mind their Ps and Qs on an anonymous public forum? Did you care when your grandad was annoyed at your 1960s behaviour?

Call it selfish or rude or whatever labels your grandad applied to you when you were acting up as a young one, contrary to his etiquette requirements, but the point is you are now applying your standards which may not be as universal as you think anymore.

Well, the new standards as you call it apparently (or luckily) are not universal yet.

The behavior as mentioned by the OP is an exception, and basically always the same very few members...

You are right, it's not universal (I did not say these different etiquette are already universally applied). Whether they do become universal is beyond our control, although I think it is more likely to change with the internet.

Have you thought perhaps these "exceptions" to what some may call old fashion ways from a non cyber age, all come from the same few members because they are from same demographics of younger, it-savvy netizens, and not the majority that seem to hanker for the good old days of better manners?

Have you thought that maybe people don't come back on and give there thanks because like i have done in the past have come on here because as you say it can be very informative especially for us that don't live there and only come for a few weeks at a time to ask a simple question and all we get is sarcasm, the p**s taken out of us or our question, some of you are so up your own backsides because you have been living there for some time and you seem to forget that you were once a newcomer or vacationer there and didn't know your way round or how to go on, i just have to laugh at some of the comments i have got but i would imagine some people get quite offended...i think that some of you must be quite bitter and sad people that you cant just give a civil answer ... there you go now i have had my rant and no doubt i will get a load of abuse now!!!

If they get so offended that they don't return to give a simple notice that they appreciate the info, then why do they return to post a next request for help ?

I think sometimes people dont come back to say thanks because they are still waiting for a few more answers, if they are not 100% sure what to do yet

i think when you come back and say thank you, it is almost like you are closing the thread, where in fact, the OP may be hoping for a few more replies

• Like 1

I always think that I maybe replying to one person, but that the answer will be read by many, some of whom may find it useful.

I suppose it could be thought of as a form of social service. If our experiences can help make even one persons life a little easier, then maybe that is already reward enough.

That is a very good and positive attitude. Be happy and blessed in the fact that You've done a good deed without expecting anything in return.

• Like 1

If they get so offended that they don't return to give a simple notice that they appreciate the info, then why do they return to post a next request for help ?

Maybe they just live in hope that they will get the answers to the questions that they ask instead of people trying to be a clever sh*t!!!

Is the OP on a period?

If you want adulation, then start your own website called 'Jbrain is all knowing" (or similar) and then you'll have 3 followers in no time (yourself, your mum and your pet gerbil, Herbert) saying how great you are.

Problem solved!!!

No thanks needed....

Edited by HeavyDrinker
  • Like 2

Is the OP on a period?

If you want adulation, then start your own website called 'Jbrain is all knowing" (or similar) and then you'll have 3 followers in no time (yourself, your mum and your pet gerbil, Herbert) saying how great you are.

Problem solved!!!

No thanks needed....

What does this have to do with me other than that I'm the OP of this thread?

I didn't anywhere gave the impression that they get all the answers from me or that they have to thank me personally.

The point is that if you go on a forum for info or even in day to day life where you ask directions to somewhere from a complete stranger on the road, you show your appreciation for the information you get.

From your post I get the impression that you have different thought about this and that you are the kind of member that this thread is directed at.

• Like 1

You seem to think you deserve thanks.

If it's thanks you need then start a new forum as advised above however Herbert got too bored with you and is now living down the road with Marge (Hamster)...(could be Madge...not too sure)...

Edited by HeavyDrinker

Maybe they just live in hope that they will get the answers to the questions that they ask instead of people trying to be a clever sh*t!!!

Where was my reply to your post an attempt to be a " clever shit " ? Anyway your answer encouraged me to go through your post history and it is clear that you live on a short fuse and are exactly the kind of poster this thread is aimed at.

In fact you have opened a total of 4 threads, all with the intention of getting info which you got plenty, but never have returned to say thanks.The only few times you returned to a topic was to ask more questions or to air your displeasure with the answers as they didn't suit you.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/478134-sugar-hut-restaurant/ 7 replies

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/505586-high-class-thai-restaurant-pattaya/ 24 replies

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/385208-high-class-sea-food-restaurant-in-pattaya/ 57 replies

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/592749-any-tips-on-getting-to-au-bon-coin-from-hotel/ 19 replies

You seem to think you deserve thanks.

If it's thanks you need then start a new forum as advised above however Herbert got too bored with you and is now living down the road with Marge (Hamster)...(could be Madge...not too sure)...

Where did I say that I need a thanks ?

The OP is about netiquette, in case you didn't get it yet, and has nothing to with personal feelings.

'nettiquette' doesn't involve hounding people for thanks for the dissemination of one's knowledge.

That should be free and in the public domain.

You are making a bit of a fool out of yourself now.

I don't think JBrain is hounding. He made his point and is now replying forcefully (as he tends to do) to those who disagree and want to argue with his point and make it personal and extreme.

It's tilting at windmills, but he does have a point about what would be nice. I added that I don't care about thanks, particularly--this is volunteer work, after all, and I have some good laughs along the way--but I'd like to know the outcome of situations. And it's just a fact that many of the OPs never return at the end of their threads to give the resolution. Some do, of course, and I for one appreciate that courtesy.

• Like 1

'nettiquette' doesn't involve hounding people for thanks for the dissemination of one's knowledge.

That should be free and in the public domain.

You are making a bit of a fool out of yourself now.

You seem to be the one who goes on and on about people hounding others for thanks.

Seems to me you cannot see the topic is about manners, something some of us have and understand and others don't. Either that or you simply love to aggravate people......

Whatever ..... Thank you :P

• Like 1

Please stop the personal attacks.

The topic is a reasonable one and raises the question of saying thanks for taking the trouble to reply and help me out.

• Like 1

I see it the buddhist way: I get my gratification already by providing a useful answer when I can and don't care about the rest. Of course a thank you is always appreciated.

Also, I don't get irritated too much about bad manners anymore - I just move on. I know that 90% of people will disappoint me in one way or another due to their insecurity, stupidity or greed.

I'm always really happy when I meet intelligent and honest people with a strong spine.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I always think that I maybe replying to one person, but that the answer will be read by many, some of whom may find it useful.

I suppose it could be thought of as a form of social service. If our experiences can help make even one persons life a little easier, then maybe that is already reward enough.

Well done!

I think you have it right FWIW. It really is a social service with the search function that I'm unable to master. If, for example, I should pose the question of "can I buy Simple Green in LOS", the answer stays available for others in the future.

I do like and appreciate courtesy so for those occasions where I fail to give proper appreciation I sincerely apologize.

This forum and others like it are a valuable source for information.

• Like 1