What Would You Do? – An Agony Of Conscience

Beetlejuice

possum1931, on 16 Mar 2013 - 20:34, said:

Again, this is not Thai bashing, if you come across an accident when you are driving or riding a motorbike, no matter whether it's involving women or children, you ignore it and get away, because if you become involved, they will most likely try and get money from you, or even blame you for causing it. You are Farang, you have plenty of money. That's the way the Thais see it.

Last week, while riding a motorbike in Phuket with my 22 year old Thai niece. We passed a Thai guy going the other direction on his mobile. Shortly thereafter, we heard a clang. I stopped the motorbike and looked back. We saw that he had driven off the road and a curve in the road, and hit the guard rail.

My first instinct was to go over to see if he was okay, but then I thought more about it. Worried that somehow I could be blamed, I thought a little more. Since I had my niece with me and she was an adult, I figured if I helped him and he blamed me to the cops, then my niece could be a witness that we had nothing to do with the accident. Just when I was about to U-turn, he got up and my niece told me I shouldn't help because of what we've all heard.

Since he was up and limping to his bike, and had a mobile phone, I took her advice went on our way.

Then if this is the general attitude, there isn`t much hope left for any of us.

I`m just wondering if I was to be unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident by the roadside somewhere and seriously hurt, the oods are that I would be ignored and left to bleed to death.

It`s become a sad, lonely world of every man for himself and mistrust. All for one and one for themselves.

Time for another Noah`s ark and great flood I think, because it`s beginning to smell bad out there.

Edited by Beetlejuice

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think my red head temper would take over and I wail into the bugger. I'd probably regret it, but the guy would have a few scars to show for his bully tactics. My sister in London is the same and she chased a couple of murderers down the road before coming to her senses. The guys had murdered an East Indian in front of her flat, and the lazy police were too slow in arriving.

I have a friend who intervened in a fight once. The guy attacked him with a machete. My friend said he'd be dead now if he hadn't known how to defend himself(karate black belt, ex-army. In the situation described in the OP, I'd definitely say something to the guy but wouldn't intentionally get involved physically, although I have some Chinese martial arts training,as well as being 6'4", which probably would give me the confidence to approach the guy.

Edited by Neeranam

fletchsmile, on 16 Mar 2013 - 23:13, said:

Please note: anyone who hopes to turn this into a Thai bashing thread, please p-ss off in advance. Incidents such as this can happen anywhere in the world.

Indeed incidents like this can happen anywhere in the world. On the other hand in many places in the world people would react differently to the way the average Thai does in this situation. Different also to the way all the Thais in the situation were described as acting.

I have to say I've very little respect for the way your average Thai or should I say most Thais just ignore these things and don't try and do something about it, or help the lady involved in some way - particulalrly after the assailant had left. One side of Thai people and Thai society I don't like.

smile.png

But most people(foreigners) in this thread say they wouldn't get involved so why should Thais?

Could it be that you don't understand Thais view on karma or do you not respect that too?

Please note: anyone who hopes to turn this into a Thai bashing thread, please p-ss off in advance. Incidents such as this can happen anywhere in the world.

Indeed incidents like this can happen anywhere in the world. On the other hand in many places in the world people would react differently to the way the average Thai does in this situation. Different also to the way all the Thais in the situation were described as acting.

I have to say I've very little respect for the way your average Thai or should I say most Thais just ignore these things and don't try and do something about it, or help the lady involved in some way - particulalrly after the assailant had left. One side of Thai people and Thai society I don't like.

smile.png

But most people(foreigners) in this thread say they wouldn't get involved so why should Thais?

Could it be that you don't understand Thais view on karma or do you not respect that too?

Please elaborate on how Thai's view karma and how it would apply to this situation.

I would like to hear some opinions on that..

I have no idea really but curious to hear some theories of how it would pertain to event.

• Like 1

I put myself in a situation last year when I chased a Thai guy at a night market who had a few months previously cheated us in some transaction,

I chased and caught the guy who fell as I jumped him, I didn't hit him but gave him a good shake up and he cut both knees as he fell, I realised that there were about 30 or more stall holders and customers all Thai around me as I brought him back to where the wife was, I didn't much care at the time since in certain situations I'm a react first think later type of guy, in that situation the Thais around me were all local and ok about it, as they heard the wife explain to the security guard why I chased the guy,,, the other 2 Thai guys and 2 girls who were with the Thai I caught were a bit vocal, thankfully I didn't have a clue what they were saying.

arriving at the scene that the OP describes I think I would most likely intervene in some way, I'm also aware that sometime reacting to certain situations in this way is likely to risk future problems but I'm afraid that's the way I've always been, although I've tried to mellow my ways

smile.png

What are you talking about? Your questions are nonsense, IMO. Could it be that you don't understand much at all?

Thais should get involved because it's their country. In a typical situation, they've nothing to fear of xenophobia and racism clouding the judgment of others.

Do you understand that if you kill a Thai in self defense, you'll likely spend the rest of your life in jail for it? Please think about this if and when you decide to answer.

Edited by aTomsLife

smile.png

Think you've got the first one backwards. We're in Thailand. So the foreigners in the thread you refer to are following Thai behaviour and not the other way round. General suggestion above from "most people in the thread" is that it makes a difference they are in Thailand not back home. I also seriously doubt any single Thai in the situation described above thought that foreigners wouldn't get involved so why should they :)

Yes I've a reasonable understanding of many of the Thai views and aspects of Karma. I'd suggest you also study a little more about it. While Karma might include an understanding we are all ultimately responsible for our lives, it shouldn't however create an indifference to the suffering of others. Compassion and wisdom are 2 important parts of life. Additionally helping others, particularly helping others to help themselves, would suggest those involve missed an opportunity to behave appropriately - some would also say that's why the BIL is now suffering with his conscience as deep down he feels he didn't do what he knew was probably right.

So both ideas you've presented are poor excuses.

I can't honestly say what I would have done, as I wasn't there. What I wouldn't have done is just go on my merry way afterwards when the assailant had gone. I'd at least have gone over to try and check she was OK, and see if she needed help

Fletch

:)

• Like 1

This has never happened to me so only two things are possible:

a) the op is making this up

b- the lady must have done something to deserve it

This seems to be the prevalent attitude on TV nowadays, because Thai people would never, ever do something wrong or bad.

c) they guy was a lunatic.

Women are second class citizens in Thailand .

The PM is a woman

oh phew.. That's good to know. So if Barack Obama is president and black then blacks can't be second class citizens in America?

I am glad you cleared me up on that. Thanks

They are not but there will be people who think they are and will treat them like that.

Women are second class citizens in Thailand .

The PM is a woman

oh phew.. That's good to know. So if Barack Obama is president and black then blacks can't be second class citizens in America?

I am glad you cleared me up on that. Thanks

They are not but there will be people who think they are and will treat them like that.

I just saw this

Thailand has the greatest percentage of women in senior management (45 per cent).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/revealed-the-best-and-worst-places-to-be-a-woman-7534794.html

I didn't know that

What are you talking about? Your questions are nonsense, IMO. Could it be that you don't understand much at all?

Thais should get involved because it's their country. In a typical situation, they've nothing to fear of xenophobia and racism clouding the judgment of others.

Do you understand that if you kill a Thai in self defense, you'll likely spend the rest of your life in jail for it? Please think about this if and when you decide to answer.

Over my few years here on Thai visa and reading many posts, I have concluded that there are a large percentage of ex-pats who seem to have a profound fear of Thais.

I really think if some of you were in an elevator with a Thai man and he started vomiting on you, you would not move out of his way in fear of offending him.

I do accept that we are more likely to know our own kind, because they think more alike and I suppose we believe that another farang, especially those of the same nationality have more chance of being predicable to us and that dealing with Thais, to some extend is like travelling into the twilight zone, the unknown and that can make us wary, fearful, cautious and even well over the top in many cases.

Perhaps there is some fact in the old saying, `east is east and west is west and never the twain shall meet '.

But I can remember when living in the States, England and in Europe. To me except for the languages and lifestyles, people everywhere have always appeared the same in my view. Even in the UK and the US I was cautious of becoming involved in any altercations in case the other party had a weapon. Exactly the same fear of strangers as I have in Thailand.

3 years ago in Chiang Mai I witnessed a man being knocked off his motorbike by a speeding car that did not stop and within seconds lots of people rushed to help him. I suppose in that scenario, the witnesses did not feel there were any threats to themselves if they gave assistance and therefore could play the good Samaritans without trying to become heroes. I really believe that this is the whole issue, that people are basically good, but when the odds appear to be against them, it`s a case of, what do I do? What should I do? Most of it is based on fear for their own safety and I can fully understand that. There are occasions when someone has collapsed in the street, could be a heart attack, and people have just stood there with vacant looks in their eyes. The main reason is simply that they don`t know what to do. They sort of stand there in shock.

I do know that if it were me in the same situation as was my BIL, that all my commons senses would say; look the other way and bugger off out of there, but my beliefs and conscience would overpower my common sense and the next thing I could be diving in there head first.

post-110219-0-77212400-1363463014_thumb.

• Like 1

Over my few years here on Thai visa and reading many posts, I have concluded that there are a large percentage of ex-pats who seem to have a profound fear of Thais.

I really think if some of you were in an elevator with a Thai man and he started vomiting on you, you would not move out of his way in fear of offending him.

I do accept that we are more likely to know our own kind, because they think more alike and I suppose we believe that another farang, especially those of the same nationality have more chance of being predicable to us and that dealing with Thais, to some extend is like travelling into the twilight zone, the unknown and that can make us wary, fearful, cautious and even well over the top in many cases.

Perhaps there is some fact in the old saying, `east is east and west is west and never the twain shall meet '.

But I can remember when living in the States, England and in Europe. To me except for the languages and lifestyles, people everywhere have always appeared the same in my view. Even in the UK and the US I was cautious of becoming involved in any altercations in case the other party had a weapon. Exactly the same fear of strangers as I have in Thailand.

3 years ago in Chiang Mai I witnessed a man being knocked off his motorbike by a speeding car that did not stop and within seconds lots of people rushed to help him. I suppose in that scenario, the witnesses did not feel there were any threats to themselves if they gave assistance and therefore could play the good Samaritans without trying to become heroes. I really believe that this is the whole issue, that people are basically good, but when the odds appear to be against them, it`s a case of, what do I do? What should I do? Most of it is based on fear for their own safety and I can fully understand that. There are occasions when someone has collapsed in the street, could be a heart attack, and people have just stood there with vacant looks in their eyes. The main reason is simply that they don`t know what to do. They sort of stand there in shock.

I do know that if it were me in the same situation as was my BIL, that all my commons senses would say; look the other way and bugger off out of there, but my beliefs and conscience would overpower my common sense and the next thing I could be diving in there head first.

I think a lot of the time people hold back from intervening because they don't want to be the first...A bit of "Oi! Stop that!" might get them going, but perhaps not in an obvious foreign accent... I'd always make sure I had plenty of room to back down

You have to understand that if you do intervene in a scenario like that with a guy who has no qualms about knocking a woman to the floor and still kicking and beating her,at some point you may have to use deadly force on this guy!
Sociopathic behaviour,or 'Losing face' as they call it here,is rife in Thailand.It's odds-on that this guy will be carrying a knife,or even worse a gun.Are you prepared to risk your life to save a stranger?

The best way to diffuse a situation like that is to put yourself in between the assailant and the victim but you will shift the focus of the attack onto yourself.Depends how big you are or brave,it's about heart like any fight.As the saying goes it not the size of the dog in the fight,it's the fight in the dog!
If you stand there resolutely but make no aggressive moves,the situation will most likely diffuse but you have to be prepared to take up where the original fight left off.Personally I would try to get the woman away from the situation,like a nightclub bouncer tries to remove the cause of the problem but I would certainly bear in mind that at any point the guy could pull a knife or a gun.

In the case of a knife,it's not good but with training can be dealt with,in the case of a gun that's another story.There are so many variables in a situation like that it's no wonder that people are very dubious about getting involved at all!

It's not nice but nobody died so your BIL shouldn't feel too bad as he didn't escalate the situation,if the guy had pulled a gun and shot him he would very likely shoot the woman afterwards also,wouldn't he?

You are very right about 'not knowing what to do' causing people to just stand in shock.

Going back to what I mentioned earlier about having this happen to me when I witnessed a motorbike accident in Chiang Mai. After I got the first responder training, in the USA I was at a restaurant and some old lady collapsed on the sidewalk. She was writhing around in pain, literally screaming, and I was the first person to rush out to help her. A couple of other bystanders lent a hand to get her on her feet.

The other couple of people just sort of stood back and stared and I looked one in the eye and told him to call 911. I attended to the lady and assessed if she was seriously hurt or having a stroke, turn my head and everyone else had walked away. As my assessment took another minute or so she seemed to be out of immediate danger but I called 911 anyway to pass her on to more qualified people (firefighters) to be sure she was not seriously hurt (any time an elderly woman falls on her face on concrete it is serious, either because of the fall or because of what caused the fall).

In this case she was fine, I could be accused of "overreacting," but the uselessness of those bystanders sticks with me. It wasn't their fault, they didn't know what to do, but it does piss me off the guy did not call 911. That is one of the basic parts of CPR training is to tell somebody else to call 911 and you just don't expect they'll ignore you and walk away.

edit: I got off track and missed my main point. It was the training, which is really really repetitive and they make you act out scenarios over and over, that caused me to react like I did. I was just on autopilot when I jumped up to help her. Compared to Chiang Mai where I had the instinct but was clueless

Edited by cms989

I have a friend who intervened in a fight once. The guy attacked him with a machete. My friend said he'd be dead now if he hadn't known how to defend himself(karate black belt, ex-army. In the situation described in the OP, I'd definitely say something to the guy but wouldn't intentionally get involved physically, although I have some Chinese martial arts training,as well as being 6'4", which probably would give me the confidence to approach the guy.

If I was like you Neeranam, I still would not have the confidence to approach the guy, there is a very good chance he may have a gun. TIT.

I rear ended a car full of men on their way to a funeral, the car was drivable but the insurance had to be sorted and they were late already. I apologised gave a wai and a katort to the driver and on my way again.

As I am in a grump this morning I would have got my wheel jack and craked his knee caps, I wouldn't mind but I am going out for Sunday dinner today as well.

• Like 1

There's a big difference between being afraid and suffering fools in our day-to-day lives and reacting to the scene you describe in your original post. I am not afraid of Thais; I've stood up for myself on many occasions here, and I'm sure they suffered a loss of face in consequence. Still, I didn't fear for my safety. It's as you wrote, most people are decent enough.

But to confront a guy screwy enough to pound on a woman, in my mind that could easily escalate into a life or death situation. I'm not losing my life for a stranger, or spending my life in jail because I had to defend myself so that I wouldn't lose my life.

I don't think Thai views on karma have the least thing to do with this.There have been highly publicized cases of bystanders doing nothing in western countries also.

Fear and shock are the main causes. Plus it seems that the more bystanders there are the more everyone else may assume that someone else will take action (when something is everyone's responsibility, it becomes no-one's responsibility).

To be fair OP (and his brother in law) has no way of knowing that none of the bystanders called the police. And those filming it on their cameras were probably doing to so to provide the police/victim with evidence.

For that matter, since it seems OP's BIL left the scene while the woman was still lying there, for all he knows others did go to her aid once the perpetrator (and potential threat) had cleared off.

Which is the part he should feel badly about. Avoiding a confrontation with a violent, possibly deranged man may have been necessary self-protection, but once the assailant left he should have rushed to aid the woman, and of course should have called the police well before that from the safety of his own vehicle.

I agree with 'Beetlejuice' in that some foreigners here seem to have an IRRATIONAL fear of Thai people. Foreigners often come across as bumbling codependents scared to say no to a Thai, scared they make a Thai lose face, scared the Thai is carrying a gun. Now, how many Thais actually own guns. I bet it's a lot more for Americans, for example.It is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

88.8% in the USA compared to 15.6% in Thailand. 5.5% in Scotland.

Last week, I took my 10 year old daughter to a shopping mall in town. She went to the toilet and I stood outside. As I was standing there, I heard a shout, "hey you" and this drunk guy came up to me with his hand extended. Now, I wonder how many foreigner would shake his hand(can't say NO to a Thai!). Anyways, I checked him out to see if I knew him(I know hundreds of alcoholics in this country)but didn't. I asked him what he wanted and refused to shake his hand. My kid appeared and a few stallholders were watching.He got upset and touched my arm and said 'twenty baht'. I tried to keep calm and said 'don't touch me'. He thought for a while and then touched me again saying '20 baht'. Then I pushed him away saying, 'go away, you're drunk'. He regained his balance somewhat sheepishly and wandered off. Now I wonder how many foreigners would shake this guys hand compared to how many Thais would shake his hand. Of course, he wouldn't approach Thais as he knows they would tell him to go to ****. I hope my actions affect his decision to approach foreigners in the future. The "aroi, sanook, teelak,look at my poong, I'm a farang" brigade really have a lot to answer for.

When I was a confrontational drunk, I got into many life-threatening situations. Luckily for me, being with Thais this probably is why I'm still here. If I did the same shit in Scotland, I'd be dead. Thais are VERY tolerant people. There was, however, the taxi driver who cheated me and attacked me with a tyre lever. As I stood in a Bruce Lee stance(showing absolutely no fear, due mostly to beer Chang), he turned around and got back into his car. There were pool cue brawls and some bottles over the head etc which would happen in my home country. The only place I've ever had a gun pulled on me was in Manila, Philippines.

Someone mentioned karma. Thais and karma is different to many other Buddhist countries. There are two schools of thought however although most believe that 'bad'(for lack of better word) karma cannot be erased. I've done many bad actions in the past but made amends for them. Most Thais would never make amends or even apologize because the act is done and the negative karma will come back and bite their arse in this lifetime, or the next. So what's the point in admitting it? That will just add to my misery. What's the point in making ammends as it will inform others to my mistake. They are, IMHO, more concerned with making 'good' karma by going to the temple and making merit.Now how does this view apply to the OP? In my country, if someone does a negative act, the mobs want some kind of justice immediately. Can't let him get away with this terrible behavior. I often hear foreign friends go on about "where does it say in the Buddhist literature to lie,cheat etc, Thais don't practice Buddhism". This is stupid IMO, almost like saying, "Scottish people don't practice what's written in the bible. Scotland is a Christian country but. Thailand is a Buddhist country but. What nonsense. I've never even read the bible - but believe it says something like God is the ultimate judge? Thais having a strong faith in Buddhism, maybe think I shouldn't get involved with this man's karma or this woman's karma. Actually it's hard to explain. Like he will get his comeuppance or she is getting her comeuppance. God does "move in a mysterious way His wonders to perform."

Edited by Neeranam

I'm of slight build, so if I get into a physical altercation, I am likely to seriously injure or kill my opponent using an improvised weapon.

So I avoid getting physical.

In the described case, I would have:

- taken photos of the man, the assault and his car

- called the police and rescue services

- helped the woman after he drove off

- left the scene after medics arrive

- sent the evidence to the police and to the media

Edited by manarak

As ever a judgement call. Well ... probably evaluated the situation as your BIL did and decided if i could 'win it' - on behalf of the stranger - by method or slight madness. I do tend to act quickly and in the most unusual way Lol and it put's folks off their course (non violently but in a violent situation). Could i get away with stopping it without putting myself in the firing line. ?? If not ... the least that i would have done is made sure she got medical care afterwards.

My Sister etc in the same situation ... well then ... if all tactics would fail (in that split second) i would go in with the knowledge/understanding that i might die over it. No 'rationale' ... but i would be angry enough to stop it - LOL ... i believe they call that the 'tipping point'. : )

Do hope that she made a good recovery - 'tis a bad thing. ?!

If I was your BIL I would have stayed and helped the woman. I don't blame him for not getting involved in the altercation, particularly if he was sure of his inability to restrain a larger, and likely deranged, man.

As for what I would have done: I'm a farang; Thais don't want me involved, and it's not impossible that someone would make trouble for me for intervening. I am trying to be objective, not insulting. It comes down to this society having made its bed, and my practical belief it should lay in it accordingly.

I concur. As a farang, I would not get involved personally, though if I was with my wife, I'd ask her if she wanted to help.

Otherwise, I'd do what I did in a situation like that that happened previously when I was there, let the police know, and let them sort it out.