Changing A Tourist Visa To A Marriage Visa

Hallo all,

Iv'e just got Married & am in the last 6 weeks of a 6 month Tourist Visa, I am a UK citizen but have no permanent address there & have been living in Thailand for the last 14 months with a 2 month gap on this & a previous 6 month tourist visa which I extended to the max 9 months.

I have a Thai bank acc with just under 1 million Bahts in it & am most of the way through building a house in my wife's name.

I intend to go to Khon Khen Immigration & try to get a Years non "o" marriage visa as I have no desire to return to the UK unless there is no other option,

As far as I know I need to produce my marriage cert. A certified copy of My Affirmation of freedom to marry cert. A letter from Kbank confirming my bank account statement + my up to date bank book showing that I have at least 400k Bht in it, My Wife & her house book..

Do I need anything else? & does anyone know how much this might cost?

The fee for the application of extension of stay for the reason of living with your Thai wife is 1,900 Baht. All documents must be submitted in duplicate and the originals at hand to show, if requested (bank savings account book, wife's ID card and house registration book).

The certificate of freedom to marry was needed when you got married and should not be required for the extension of stay, although there have been some reports of some immigration officers asking for it. What most offices now want is the KR.2, which is a copy from the amphoe's marriage ledger. A map showing the way from the immigration office to your residence and photos of you and your wife together in your residence and outside the residence with the house number showing are usually also asked for.

• Like 1

If you are on a torurist visa, it first must be converted to a Non-O visa. This can be done without leaving Thailand, however, I do not know if Khon Khaen can do it they might send you to Bangkok. The cost is 2000 baht. During the last 30 days of the 90 days you will be granted with the new Non-O visa you can then go to Khon Kaen and extend for 1 year. Cost 1900 baht.

• Like 1

Be sure wife has her ID card/copy also and if not actually living at wife home register address some proof of where you live. You should have at least 15 days remaining on current permitted to stay to allow conversion to non immigrant O visa entry and expect it may require trip to Bangkok. So getting a visa from a Consulate in Vientiane or Savannakhet might be a valid alternative to start the process and then 60 days later do the actual extension of stay.

You will not get anything done at Khoen Khen without already having a non immigrant visa.

I suggest you make a trip to Vientiane and get a single entry non-o visa (2000 baht) at the embassy consular section there. You apply morning of one day and get back next afternoon. You would need marriage certificate (plus copy) and copies of wife's ID and house book. Take the wife along with you she probably will enjoy the trip.

Then during last 30 of of the 90 day entry you will get on return apply for your extension. Bank account must be in your name only.