Roadside Pick Pockets: The Police!

asiasurfer

Just a little tale from just another day in paradise.

A few days ago I was driving with my boss over a long distance on the motorway. There were about 5 or 6 police checkpoints over the time of a 3 hours' drive, channeling the traffic through one lane therefore regularly slowing down all cars and causing traffic jams.

My boss got caught at one spot. The police man was accusing him of over speeding (ca. 120 km/h). My boss said nonsense and told the police man he had at least 140 km/h. Police asked him to pay 200 Baht now or get the penalty by post for 400 Baht. My boss chosen the post. He commented to me, he will rather pay the full fine so that the money goes to the right places instead of some bribe going into a police man's pocket.

He got stopped again, not even 5 minutes later! My boss yelled "Send it by mail!" through the window and drove off.

I know it's just another day in paradise, but doesn't this bribery on a large scale bother anyone!?? I know many similar stories from friends here. I'm also surprised that the government doesn't give a crap, since they are the ones losing the money.

Oh, maybe I'm wrong. Probably, paying on the spot is ok! They probably offer promotions on fines: Pay now get half price. Or pay one fine and get the next one for free... clap2.gifguitar.gif

Cheerio

• Like 2

I'm also surprised that the government doesn't give a crap, since they are the ones losing the money.

-

cheesy.gif

-

-

Yes that is very funny.

From what I can tell, the only reason anyone works for the government here is to line their pockets - OK not all but IMO the vast majority. . .

Anyone smart who actually wants to serve "the public good" wouldn't touch a government job, and in fact to be effective at all, you'd have to actively fight against all "civil servants" arrayed against you by the real enemy, the country's real owners, in effect all just a bunch of different Mafia networks.

I'm not saying it isn't fundamentally the same back home, but at least there the rule of law applies in day-to-day normal activities, it's less blatant and only available to a much smaller tip of the pyramid of the population. And they only resort to black-ops violence for the most extreme exigencies, not routine matters like grassroots organising around labor and green issues.

-

(sorry quotes seem messed up)

Edited by FunFon
  • Like 1

I've seven years driving in Bangkok, not one single fine - they never stop cars but I've seen them shake-down motorcyclists. I often drive down to Bang Saen, Rayong, Pattaya - never been stopped there either.

Re; the 'doesn't it bother anyone?' question; actually yes I can sympathise when I see bikers stopped as they can probably ill afford it. However, my sympathy is tempered as it is always bikers that scare the crap out of me - real heart-in-the-mouth, pant-soiling moments are always biker-induced. I actually remember one morning last year when I saw the 'Great Biker Shakedown' on a Saturday morning and had thought about the state of Thailand; not ten minutes later a maniac biker cut me up by overtaking just before I went over a bridge - I almost soiled myself. Maybe the police aren't that bad, I thought.

I'm also surprised that the government doesn't give a crap, since they are the ones losing the money.

-

cheesy.gif

-

-

Yes that is very funny.

From what I can tell, the only reason anyone works for the government here is to line their pockets - OK not all but IMO the vast majority. . .

Anyone smart who actually wants to serve "the public good" wouldn't touch a government job, and in fact to be effective at all, you'd have to actively fight against all "civil servants" arrayed against you by the real enemy, the country's real owners, in effect all just a bunch of different Mafia networks.

I'm not saying it isn't fundamentally the same back home, but at least there the rule of law applies in day-to-day normal activities, it's less blatant and only available to a much smaller tip of the pyramid of the population. And they only resort to black-ops violence for the most extreme exigencies, not routine matters like grassroots organising around labor and green issues.

-

Sad truth, but you're probably right.

I've seven years driving in Bangkok, not one single fine - they never stop cars but I've seen them shake-down motorcyclists. I often drive down to Bang Saen, Rayong, Pattaya - never been stopped there either.

Re; the 'doesn't it bother anyone?' question; actually yes I can sympathise when I see bikers stopped as they can probably ill afford it. However, my sympathy is tempered as it is always bikers that scare the crap out of me - real heart-in-the-mouth, pant-soiling moments are always biker-induced. I actually remember one morning last year when I saw the 'Great Biker Shakedown' on a Saturday morning and had thought about the state of Thailand; not ten minutes later a maniac biker cut me up by overtaking just before I went over a bridge - I almost soiled myself. Maybe the police aren't that bad, I thought.

Probably if you drive correctly no one will bother to stop you. But if they have a reason to stop you they will ask for the tea money or it becomes even more expensive for you if you chose the fine by post.

Bikers are always a problem and they live very dangerous too. I really hate taking the motor cycle taxis. I only do so if I really have no other choice. Although I think most taxi bikers drive better than some of the kiddies on their bikes. Some of them maybe just reached the age of 15. They should be bared! angry.png Such an annoyance...

Some of them maybe just reached the age of 15. They should be bared! angry.png Such an annoyance...

-

Bared? Could get you in trouble herewhistling.gif

Country neighbors send their 6- and 8- year-olds to school on the scooter driven by their 10-year-old cousin.

No one thinks anything wrong with it either.

• Like 1

OP, your boss was lucky, the old scam was pay bribe or hand over your license and get ticket which had to be paid at the police station where the license is returned. This is all very inconvenient, especially if you are not from the area, and therefore a much better inducement to pay the bribe.

I think last year, the payment by post started giving drivers a better chance to avoid bribes. So maybe the Government does care about loosing the fine revenue, hence the introduction of speed cameras and payment by post. The Police will not miss out though, apparently they still get a (smaller) share of fines and they will probably find other ways to get bribes from drivers.

Aussiebebe, hope your good luck continues.

You Boss should have not been an <deleted> at the second stop and explained he just got a caught at the previous check point as they will not issue a ticket for the same offence within a 24hr period. I expect they will in this instance.

Probably if you drive correctly no one will bother to stop you. But if they have a reason to stop you they will ask for the tea money or it becomes even more expensive for you if you chose the fine by post.

Bikers are always a problem and they live very dangerous too. I really hate taking the motor cycle taxis. I only do so if I really have no other choice. Although I think most taxi bikers drive better than some of the kiddies on their bikes. Some of them maybe just reached the age of 15. They should be bared! angry.png Such an annoyance...

I have never paid any money that is not correctly due.

When I have been stopped for speeding, I have been speeding. When I have been stopped for not wearing a helmet - I have not been wearing a helmet.

I would rather pay on the spot and save money and inconvenience.

When I have been stopped for speeding, I have been speeding. When I have been stopped for not wearing a helmet - I have not been wearing a helmet.

Meaning you were paying tea money to the police man... whistling.gif

Did you really think he (and everyone else) wasn't aware of that most obvious fact?

Or perhaps you actually meant to say something like "and in my opinion you shouldn't do that"?

Did you really think he (and everyone else) wasn't aware of that most obvious fact?

Or perhaps you actually meant to say something like "and in my opinion you shouldn't do that"?

What I an saying is, I was guilty as charged.

i chose the payment option that suited me best.

Some of them maybe just reached the age of 15. They should be bared! angry.png Such an annoyance...

... Country neighbors send their 6- and 8- year-olds to school on the scooter driven by their 10-year-old cousin.

No one thinks anything wrong with it either.

Nope, me neither. Obviously the 10 year-old has at least 24-months more driving experience than the 8 year-old. Doh!

The 6 year-old can't even reach the pedals.... for now.

Edited by NanLaew

OP, your boss was lucky, the old scam was pay bribe or hand over your license and get ticket which had to be paid at the police station where the license is returned. This is all very inconvenient, especially if you are not from the area, and therefore a much better inducement to pay the bribe.

I think last year, the payment by post started giving drivers a better chance to avoid bribes. So maybe the Government does care about loosing the fine revenue, hence the introduction of speed cameras and payment by post. The Police will not miss out though, apparently they still get a (smaller) share of fines and they will probably find other ways to get bribes from drivers.

Aussiebebe, hope your good luck continues.

What? Hand over you license? But it was a scam, right? So what if you did not comply? The police threatened to shoot you??

You Boss should have not been an <deleted> at the second stop and explained he just got a caught at the previous check point as they will not issue a ticket for the same offence within a 24hr period. I expect they will in this instance.

He is not an <deleted>. But I didn't know that with the 24 hours. I will tell him...

What I an saying is, I was guilty as charged.

i chose the payment option that suited me best.

I'm not blaming you...

-

cheesy.gif

-

-

Yes that is very funny.

-

you clearly haven't worked with government very much in Thailand then.

Edited by samran

Your boss needs a police friend that can sort all the fines for him.

Corruption is everyone's friend.

I mentioned your idea to my boss. But he said supporting a friend in the police would be even more expensive than paying the occasional fine... clap2.gif