Yingluck's Job May Be On The Line Over Two Hot Issues

webfact

POLITICS
Yingluck's job may be on the line over two hot issues

The Nation

30202250-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Just 18 months into her job as Thailand's first female prime minister, Yingluck Shinawatra now appears to be facing some serious legal problems that could cost her the PM's seat.

Inconsistencies in her asset declaration and her government's decision to issue a new passport to her brother, fugitive former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, are two issues that have put Yingluck in a hot seat - leading to speculation that her sister Yaowapa Wongsawat is being prepared to step in.

According to Yingluck's financial statements submitted to the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) when she became an MP and prime minister, her husband, Anusorn Amornchat, held 4.01 million shares in Ad Index Co Ltd. Each share was worth Bt10. Yingluck also stated that she had loaned Bt30 million to the firm in 2006, though there are no such loans in the company's records until 2007.

According to the statement, Anusorn held 10,000 shares of the firm on July 16, 2003, and gradually bought up more until he had 4.01 million shares on April 20, 2011.

Yingluck was named as Pheu Thai Party's top candidate on May 16, 2011.

Ad Index is based in the M Link Building on Sukhumvit Soi 62.

The second hot issue is her government's decision to issue a new passport for Thaksin.

Ombudsman spokesman Raksakecha Chaechai said yesterday that Yingluck had deferred providing an explanation about the passport for 30 days.

The Office of Parliament Ombudsman had earlier recommended that the Foreign Ministry review its decision to grant Thaksin a new passport on grounds of legitimacy. However, the ministry rejected the recommendation. The office then stepped up pressure on the PM to clarify why the ministry was not heeding its call.

Yingluck was meant to provide clarification on March 13, but the PM's Office told the Ombudsman that Yingluck would explain 30 days later.

Raksakecha said if Yingluck agreed with the Foreign Ministry's decision to not repeal Thaksin's passport, then the Ombudsman's Office would have to take up a complaint filed by New Politics Party leader Somsak Kosaisuk. Somsak questioned Yingluck's ethics as well as those of the foreign minister.

Raksakecha said apart from calling on the PM to revoke Thaksin's passport, the office had also recommended that the Foreign Ministry revamp regulations on travelling documents since it was outdated and allowed too much room for officials to exercise personal judgement. He said he believed Ombudsman Sriracha Charoenpanit would allow Yingluck to defer her explanation.

Alleged discrepancies

1) Yingluck states in her financial statement to the NACC that she granted Bt30 million in loans to Ad Index run by her husband, via three promissory notes:

October 6, 2006 Bt20 million

March 9, 2007 Bt5 million

March 13, 2007 Bt5 million

2) Ad Index's financial records show in 2006 it did not borrow any money. Its 2007 record states it got Bt30-million in loans. Ad Index says the interest rates varied from 2.05 to 3.75 per cent per annum, but Yingluck informed the NACC that her promissory notes came with an interest rate equal to the fixed-deposit-account rate.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-19

PM Yingluck The Real PM™ can be easily replaced by Dr. Thaksin with another clone or utility pole. Too bad he has thrown so many of his allies under the bus and now can't trust anyone but family. I have seen politicians banned for very small errors in their asset reporting hence, the sudden resignation of Kasem so that another of Dr. Thaksin's sisters can be ready to take over. By the way, is 'Oak' old enough to be PM?

How soon does Pheu Thai start offering another of its lopsided amnesty bills?

We'll skip the Bangkok Governor-elect investigation in exchange for skipping the Prime Minister investigation.

That's what I was thinking too...but then the other way around...

How soon does Pheu Thai start offering another of its lopsided amnesty bills?

We'll skip the Bangkok Governor-elect investigation in exchange for skipping the Prime Minister investigation.

No they put that other sister who is married with former PM Somchai as new puppet.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Will-Yaowapa-steal-limelight-from-Yingluck-30202247.html

"Yingluck also stated that she had loaned Bt30 million to the firm in 2006, though there are no such loans in the company's records until 2007."

This if quite petty, no?

She got the dates of a loan wrong? Should that really be a valid cause for her deminse?

"Yingluck also stated that she had loaned Bt30 million to the firm in 2006, though there are no such loans in the company's records until 2007."

This if quite petty, no?

She got the dates of a loan wrong? Should that really be a valid cause for her deminse?

You mean an honest mistake? What will it be next time? "Sorry I got the zeros wrong. Should have been 1 billion not 100 million....."

Edited by Nickymaster

Forgetting what I consider the stupidity of the assets rubbish - not even worth looking into unless PTP need an excuse to oust her but on the question of issuing Thaksin a passport? I can't wait for the response. Criminal surrender their passports end of story. This convicted criminal had his returned - and in addition then jumped bail. And he is now given another passport? Is there no justice in this country or do they just continue to move the goal posts whilst the ball is in play? I would love to see a 'layman' receive the same treatment.

• Like 1

Yingluck also stated that she had loaned Bt30 million to the firm in 2006, though there are no such loans in the company's records until 2007."

This if quite petty, no?

Quite petty? but it could just be a form of asset concealment.

Anyway It would seem that giving donations to a party by electronic means rather than by check should be enough to get someone else kicked out. Quite petty?

• Like 1

When one has so much money one tends to forget minor details. People with lots of money get careless and never write anything down or have a proper administration. That's why asset declarations are such a pain.

BTW did the PM ask for deferral about a day before the term expired? Makes sense, something urgent must have come up, like the need to be in parliament, supporting yet another candidate in a by-election, or so.

I am just in awe at the talent in the Shinawatra family.

To have one person in the family as the best candidate to be Prime Minister is impressive.

But to have your Sister be considered the very best candidate and elected PM.

...and then if she has to step aside, your other Sister is the next best candidate to be PM.

...and then if she steps aside, your Son is being considered as a fast-track MP to be a future PM.

The Thaksin family are phenoms.

• Like 1

Ombudsman spokesman Raksakecha Chaechai said yesterday that Yingluck had deferred providing an explanation about the passport for 30 days.

I can't wait for the response. Criminal surrender their passports end of story. This convicted criminal had his returned - and in addition then jumped bail. And he is now given another passport? Is there no justice in this country or do they just continue to move the goal posts whilst the ball is in play? I would love to see a 'layman' receive the same treatment.

The Ombudsman Office ruling six months ago was that the Foreign Minister issuing a new passport to a convicted fugitive was illegal.

The Cousin Foreign Minister blew off a request for information for months so they then went to the Sister Prime Minister for an explanation of the illegal act.

The 30 day limit imposed for a response from her expired 3 days ago. bah.gif

Edited by Buchholz

To have one person in the family as the best candidate to be Prime Minister is impressive.

...and then if she has to step aside, your other Sister is the next best candidate to be PM.

...and then if she steps aside, your Son is being considered as a fast-track MP to be a future PM.

Who says cheats never prosper?

This if quite petty, no?

For those of us who remember the attempts to have Abhisit crucified because a date was wrong on a document, she will get no sympathy.

Thanks, I had forgotten about that.

I feel a but, but, but the (insert party name) did .................................... coming on.

Edited by billd766

This if quite petty, no?

For those of us who remember the attempts to have Abhisit crucified because a date was wrong on a document, she will get no sympathy.

I feel a but, but, but the (insert party name) did .................................... coming on.

Of course this is all very petty - but it needs to end. Both sides are guilty of making a mockery of the voters IMO

• Like 1

This if quite petty, no?

I get the distinct impression that there is more to her asset concealment case than an "honest mistake" of putting the wrong year down.

If truly that is all there is to her misdeed, I'd agree it's not a valid reason to remove her... but something tells me it is not.

As for her other "hot issue" of illegally issuing a passport to her convicted fugitive brother... it is a much more blatant and clear-cut violation. She's not responding to an illegal act that was committed over a year ago and that was pointed out to her that it was illegal six months ago.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 2

I'm waiting for the day we will have "lese Shin... and consorters"

from --> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lese+majeste

Lese majesty

1. Law.

a. a crime, especially high treason, committed against the sovereign power.

b. an offense that violates the dignity of a ruler.

2. an attack on any custom, institution, belief, etc., held sacred or revered by numbers of people:

If Yingluck were to go that would mean all the big posters of her around the country would have to be pulled down and replaced.

And there must be millions of them, 5 on an intersection just down the road from our place

Wonder if Yaowapa were the next PM would she get so many?

Still I suppose the cost of replacing them all would only be petty cash to the Thai tax payer.

This if quite petty, no?

Of course this is all very petty - but it needs to end. Both sides are guilty of making a mockery of the voters IMO

Make a mockery of the voters once, shame on you. Make a mockery of the voters at every election, shame on the voters.

PM Yingluck The Real PM™ can be easily replaced by Dr. Thaksin with another clone or utility pole. Too bad he has thrown so many of his allies under the bus and now can't trust anyone but family. I have seen politicians banned for very small errors in their asset reporting hence, the sudden resignation of Kasem so that another of Dr. Thaksin's sisters can be ready to take over. By the way, is 'Oak' old enough to be PM?

I'm sure he's old enough and he's never been a politician as far as I know so he's got sufficient experience as well.

• Like 1

First and foremost they have made a mockery of democracy.

Secondly

they work for a public that wouldn't know what democracy is if jumped

out of their tom yum goong with a trumpeted fanfare.

Thailand: a demockeracy.

• Like 1

If Yingluck were to go that would mean all the big posters of her around the country would have to be pulled down and replaced.

And there must be millions of them, 5 on an intersection just down the road from our place

Wonder if Yaowapa were the next PM would she get so many?

She would have the same number of posters, but the posters would be necessarily bigger.

When one has so much money one tends to forget minor details. People with lots of money get careless and never write anything down or have a proper administration. That's why asset declarations are such a pain.

BTW did the PM ask for deferral about a day before the term expired? Makes sense, something urgent must have come up, like the need to be in parliament, supporting yet another candidate in a by-election, or so.

Monied folks have accountants working for them. The bean counters do the work, the guy whose dosh it is signs their declaration and is accountable. I used the free version of software called 'Quicken' before I retired to keep a check on what I had and what I owed. Child's play.