Avg - Threat Or Menace?

hermespan

Credits to National Lampoon 1970s for the inspiration for subject line.

Experiences with AVG malware and tune up software...

I have been using AVG free ani malware software. I have no complaints.

However my laptop started slowing down so I purchased AVG PC Tuneup. I may have had option for a 30 day free trial but I missed that if it exists. Anyway I bought it -- to AVG credit one has the option of NOT auto renew, a respectable policy (unlike google drive which will bill me for eternity unless I cancel -- I wonder how many millions of dollars are spent unknowingly by people who don't check their credit card syatements?)

Somehow I ended up with a free 30 day trial of the full featured SVG security suite -- not something I asked for by the way. I find the internet full of sneaky promotions and non transparent marketing tools that no decent brick and mortar company would do. You have to fight for straight forward business.

But now my computer is even slower.

So, I have to wonder whether AVG and perhaps similar 'improve your computer' don't actually do more harm than good.

I've used AVG free version for a long time. But after MS Security Essential was released I've been using it since. Thinking back, seems AVG slows down your machine quite a bit.

Would welcome comments on the above.\

I've used AVG free version for a long time. But after MS Security Essential was released I've been using it since. Thinking back, seems AVG slows down your machine quite a bit.

Would welcome comments on the above.\

If you trust MSE on its own, you're slightly loopy.

Microsoft are consistently poor when it comes to detection rates.

You're better with Avast and something like Secunia PSI.

I have AVG free and wanted to replace it with Avast but I found AVG impossible to completely un-install. I really couldn't get rid of it. I had been advised not to have 2 security software aps on at the same time so I gave up and stayed with AVG.

Any suggestions on what may have prevented my un-installing AVG?

I'm more of an Avast fan these days, their free product is much better.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/626291-avg-anti-virus-breaks-down-windows-xp-due-to-false-positive/

AVG slowed down my computer massively. Changed to Avast and been happy ever since.

+1. AVG and Norton are notorious for taking over your computer and turning it into molasses. Avast is the best of the freebies IMO too.

However, if you stay away from doubtful sites, don't click on questionable links, only install programs from trusted sources, and are careful about what attachments you open--in other words, if you know what you're doing--you can entirely dispense with a real-time virus scanner, any of which mean a speed hit. Just scan your drive once a week or so w/ something like Malwarebytes and use it to scan a file as needed.

That's what I used to do, but then I switched to Linux and no longer need to bother even with that. smile.png

JSixpack, on 22 Mar 2013 - 12:03, said:

if you know what you're doing--you can entirely dispense with a real-time virus scanner

Not very sound advice given the number of websites out there that have had perfectly valid links hijacked to insert malware into your browser.

I "know what I'm doing" but I would not connect a computer to the internet without some form of real-time scanner.

Unless you are running a painfully old or slow computer, Avast does not cause any noticeable slowdown.

if you know what you're doing--you can entirely dispense with a real-time virus scanner

Not very sound advice given the number of websites out there that have had perfectly valid links hijacked to insert malware into your browser.

I "know what I'm doing" but I would not connect a computer to the internet without some form of real-time scanner.

Unless you are running a painfully old or slow computer, Avast does not cause any noticeable slowdown.

Avast causes a noticeable slowdown, but it's not much except on ancient machines and slower connections.

Probably need to read up on browser security. Don't use IE or if so inoculate it with spywareblaster, spybot, etc. Enable noscript, https everywhere, adblocking and noredirect etc in Firefox. Keep updated, etc. Here you go:

http://lifehacker.com/5938980/how-secure-are-you-online-the-checklist

https://www.veracode.com/blog/2013/01/tips-for-secure-web-browsing-cybersecurity-101/

Real-time scanner, esp in absence of the above, gives an illusion of security (though it may be helpful for the average user). Chances are you'll get a virus/trojan or hit a phishing site before your antivir is updated against it. Seen THAT before. And the common solution involves a scan w/ updated Malwarebytes or Dr. Web Cureit.

I ain't worried.

Edited by JSixpack

Avast causes a noticeable slowdown, but it's not much except on ancient machines and slower connections.

Probably need to read up on browser security. Don't use IE or if so inoculate it with spywareblaster, spybot, etc. Enable noscript, https everywhere, adblocking and noredirect etc in Firefox. Keep updated, etc. Here you go:

http://lifehacker.com/5938980/how-secure-are-you-online-the-checklist

https://www.veracode.com/blog/2013/01/tips-for-secure-web-browsing-cybersecurity-101/

Real-time scanner, esp in absence of the above, gives an illusion of security (though it may be helpful for the average user). Chances are you'll get a virus/trojan or hit a phishing site before your antivir is updated against it. Seen THAT before. And the common solution involves a scan w/ updated Malwarebytes or Dr. Web Cureit.

I ain't worried.

Advising people not to use antivirus is ridiculous. Mind you, advising them to rely only on antivirus is also ridiculous.

Otherwise granny, eggs, etc.

An Antivirus is certainly useful for warding off known threats.

BUT: the computer is only partly protected until you install a behavioral analysis tool and a (proper) firewall with proper configuration.

In short, the firewall will ask the user if a program is authorized to send or receive packets from the internet. This will detect trojans as well as backdoors into your computer.

The behavioral analysis intercepts a program's actions on your computer. For example program XY is trying to replicate iself into directory Z or process ABC is trying to install application D...

I use Comodo for both of these, and I am very happy that I'm doing it, it already saved my ass a few times.

To stop all unwanted actions of programs (including genuine programs "calling home"), use the following settings:

firewall: custom mode

defense plus: paranoid

this will cause a lot of prompts in the first week or so, the time the program needs to learn what you want to authorize and what not.

Edited by manarak

Nobody has mentioned that the best rated anti-virus now has a free version - you might want to give this a try. I have just installed it.

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

Best rated by who? And when?

All recent reports I have seen using Google. Below is just one. The only negative I have seen of the free version is that it is simple so geeks don't like it. I however am a KISS believer (but perhaps not from your avatar).

http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/tests/test-reports/

Making sure you are running A/V, anti-spyware/malware, a decent firewall is good. Regular system scans at boot-time and a thorough back-up set-up are equally important because it doesn't matter how techies you are there is ALWAYS somebody better out there.

Advising people not to use antivirus is ridiculous. Mind you, advising them to rely only on antivirus is also ridiculous.

Please don't distort my views to detriment of your own credibility. We'll just have to agree to disagree, with grace on my part. You keep feeling safe with that real-time scanner. smile.png I sympathize: I once felt the same as you do.

Firewalls: I like 'em, always run one when I'm on Windows. I'd avoid Zonealarm, once good, now bloatware. I use Online Armor, simple & easily configured. It wants to be bloatware, but you can opt out of all of the unnecessary options.

Edited by JSixpack

Please don't distort my views to detriment of your own credibility. We'll just have to agree to disagree, with grace on my part. You keep feeling safe with that real-time scanner. smile.png I sympathize: I once felt the same as you do.

Firewalls: I like 'em, always run one when I'm on Windows. I'd avoid Zonealarm, once good, now bloatware. I use Online Armor, simple & easily configured. It wants to be bloatware, but you can opt out of all of the unnecessary options.

I don't "feel safe with that real time scanner".

In fact I specifically said relying on antivirus alone is a bad idea. I wouldn't even rely on a single "Internet Security" suite (as they like to call themselves now).

I'd advise anyone who isn't clued up on PC security to do some reading and use the tools that they prefer.

There are plenty of decent comparison sites out there.

Personally, I prefer to use Avast antivirus, and I have no noticeable slowdown, so you are right, we'll have to agree to differ.

JSixPack & Chicog You both know that you are both right. The problem with modern IT isn't the adapting and growing world it is the people entering that world. When I started my IT career the publicly available internet was in its infancy. I worked for the company that set up the IT infrastructure for Cyberia, the UK's first internet cafe. I remember being introduced to a bunch of text files and wondering what that was all about. Images did not have thumbnails and viewing one image @ 200kb took a few minutes to load. Back then relatively few people had computers in their homes. Now the world is full of computing devices that are permanently connected and sharing everybody's data (don't get me onto the conspiracy loons who believe their every digital move is being monitored...the quantity of data travelling around the world makes that near impossible unless you are REALLY breaking the law). People shop, bank and share their personal details through these devices without ever questioning why or how.

JSixPack and Chicog. We have posted alongside each other in other threads and disagreed on many issues. The truth is that most of the "available free for home use" A/Vs have a place on most PCs. Most "available free for home use" anti-spywares, firewalls and the rest are good for home use too. I personally like Avast! because of the boot-time scanner availability, but have learned that my opinion will be changed and am always looking for the next answer.

Guys, keep sharing your knowledge for those that want to read it....and learn from each other as you both have great advice. I have already done a little research based off your comments on this thread.

For the rest of you looking for answers from a broader demographic than the 3 of us then check out Gizmo's Freeware

JSixPack & Chicog You both know that you are both right. The problem with modern IT isn't the adapting and growing world it is the people entering that world. When I started my IT career the publicly available internet was in its infancy.

When I started mine it wasn't even publicly available.

wink.png

• Like 1

JSixPack & Chicog You both know that you are both right. The problem with modern IT isn't the adapting and growing world it is the people entering that world. When I started my IT career the publicly available internet was in its infancy.

When I started mine it wasn't even publicly available.

wink.png

My Dad programmed BASIC, COBOL and punch-cards! Not much need for that now!

I'm more of an Avast fan these days, their free product is much better.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/626291-avg-anti-virus-breaks-down-windows-xp-due-to-false-positive/

AVG slowed down my computer massively. Changed to Avast and been happy ever since.

+1. AVG and Norton are notorious for taking over your computer and turning it into molasses. Avast is the best of the freebies IMO too.

However, if you stay away from doubtful sites, don't click on questionable links, only install programs from trusted sources, and are careful about what attachments you open--in other words, if you know what you're doing--you can entirely dispense with a real-time virus scanner, any of which mean a speed hit. Just scan your drive once a week or so w/ something like Malwarebytes and use it to scan a file as needed.

That's what I used to do, but then I switched to Linux and no longer need to bother even with that. smile.png

So is Macaffee on Vista,slowed my system down to a snail pace,and kept popping up all over.even though it was free with my ISP,I deleted it.

• Like 1

Always found antivirus to cause more trouble than it solved.

Back when I used windows I normally relied on common sense to avoid running untrustworthy files.

Autorun on USB drives always disabled.

Backed up by the ability to spot and manually remove the occasional thing that did come along.

Now on linux so the threat is minimal and OS fundamentally much more secure.

Back when I used windows I normally relied on common sense to avoid running untrustworthy files.

Backed up by the ability to spot and manually remove the occasional thing that did come along.

Panda USB Vaccine isn't a bad option as well. Even if you aren't infecting them, it's a great way of neutering them.

As for AV, yes you can do without it if you really want to, but there isn't much reason not to on a decent PC when it's free.

Panda USB Vaccine isn't a bad option as well. Even if you aren't infecting them, it's a great way of neutering them.

As for AV, yes you can do without it if you really want to, but there isn't much reason not to on a decent PC when it's free.

Giving up .05% of my performance for A/V is not a hard price compared to the time lost if infected.