After Much Thought

daleyboy

Ok i have been asking a dew questions over the last few weeks, trying to work out my plan of travel when we come to Thailand. We have now finalised our plans, and i am seeking some maps and advice of routes for our little trip.

We are starting in Bkk and travelling upto the wifes in Sakaeo by rented minibus, staying here for a week. Then when we leave here we are going to drive to CM. I reckon 3 days to do this comfortably. This is my first couple of questions. Not fussed what route we take, but obviously we will need hotels enroute. I was also hoping to stop in at the fc enroute. So can someone reccommend a large road plan map of Thailand? Also are there any better routes than others? more scenic than others? Am i being realistic in my 3 day estimation?

Thats pretty much it for now, the rest of my plan is when we get to CM and spend a dew days here, hopefully catching up with a few more members. We are then going ot take a train to Bangkok. We could fly but the rest of the family have never been on a train so it will be nice for them. A day in Bangkok and then we are going to fly down to Phuket for a week.

When we get back from Phuket the family will go home and the wife and i will have a week in Bangkok. We will take a couple of days to travel down to Pattaya and catch up with a few members.

So any comments, recomendations on hotels enroute, places to see and things to do?

This is going to be our best trip yet i reckon, lots of travelling but i think worth it to see the look on te families faces when they get to do things they have never done before. :D

I am going to name this the daleyboy member tour :o

Edited by daleyboy

:D Sory Daley boy, bit trollyed. What is FC?

Cheer

Leisurely :D:D

Farang connection mate, up in Surin, lampys place, you know where all the pissheads hang out :o

I'll look at the name of the highway map I have and post it tomorrow. I've used it to travel throughout Thailand and is quite detailed.

Nice one mate, you know of any online maps that i could get a good overview from? The ones i have only show small areas at a time :D

Daleyboy, Thailand Highway Map, produced by Roads Association of Thailand it can brought at Mor Chit transport office, AA Thailand or major bookshop, this thai & english map is very reliable. I won't go anywhere without it.

Edited by Thaising

I agree with tywais that the Nelles Map is the best for a medium scale overview of the country and it is very accurate and professionally drawn. The only problem with it is there is no Thai so if you can not pronounce the name right the Thai half may not have a clue for reading the mostly Thai signs that you find upcountry. Bangkok Guide makes several more detailed maps, with both languages, but they are cut up into sections so not very easy to use. I have not been impressed with any I have found on the internet.

Daleyboy, Thailand Highway Map, produced by Roads Association of Thailand it can brought at Mor Chit transport office, AA Thailand or major bookshop, this thai & english map is very reliable. I won't go anywhere without it.

I have the same one. Good maps but awkward to unfold at the correct area when in the car.

If you are travelling from Sae Kaeo to Surin, I would suggest the following route:

33 to Aranyapratet.

348 to Nang Rong.

24 to Prakhon Chai.

2208 to Krasang

226 to Surin.

Allow at least 2 days in Surin to relieve the *chang*over.

Regarding the onward trip to Chang Mai, the last time I drove it it was the other way (Phayao to Surin) and we drove only mornings. First day Phayao to Petchabun via Phitsalulok. Overnight there. Then on to Khon Kaen and an afternoon/evening on the piss with Bronco. Khon Kaen to Surin via Mahasarakhan and Roi Et the next morning.

Good luck

Edited by jayenram

Cool thanks for the advice on maps, looks like i will have to buy both. As for the wife map reading!!!!:D A woman map reading :D Dont worry ladies i am only joking :o

Thanks for the directions Yorky, i will buy you a beer if i dont get lost enroute :D

Any idea what the distance is from Sakaeo to Surin? You reckon i could drive it at an easy pace with a few stops for breakfast, lunch and a bit of sightseeing?

How long did it take for CM to Surin? We wont be in any hurry, i am sure the family will want to do a bit of sightseeing on the way. I will have roughly 5 days to go from Sakaeo to CM with a stop of at Surin you reckon that will be enogh time? I wont need to 2 chang days to recover, as i dont drink, but i still want to stop for 2 days. :D

That's plenty of time for 5 days. Take it easy on the way, you will definitely enjoys your holiday.

Phitsunulok province is the mid-way point for people going north - notheast - central. From there, I believe you should find your way to CM. Good Luck.

That's plenty of time for 5 days. Take it easy on the way, you will definitely enjoys your holiday.

Phitsunulok province is the mid-way point for people going north - notheast - central. From there, I believe you should find your way to CM. Good Luck.

Thanks for that mate, really looking forward to some adventures :o

Any idea what the distance is from Sakaeo to Surin? You reckon i could drive it at an easy pace with a few stops for breakfast, lunch and a bit of sightseeing?

I don't drive fast these days (my age you know) but I reckon 3 to 3.5 hours depending on traffic and without stops.

How long did it take for CM to Surin?

The way we went, via Khon Kaen which you do not need to do, took around 14 hours total.

Edited by jayenram

I don't drive fast these days (my age you know) but I reckon 3 to 3.5 hours depending on traffic and without stops.

The way we went, via Khon Kaen which you do not need to do, took around 14 hours total.

but the quality of people you met it KK made it worth the trip :o

but the quality of people you met it KK made it worth the trip :D

Well that sounds ok to me, driving time isnt really important, we wont be in any hurry to get anywhere, i tought it was going to take all da to get to Surin. :D

So the people in KK are worth visiting are they? I heard they were a bit of a rough bunch up round that way :o just a few dodgy Aussies :D Maybe we will have to make another detour enroute to CM :D

Are you gonna make it anywhere near Pattaya Daleyboy?

Yep

The plan is drive to Sakaeo, stay with the family for 3 or 4 days, then take family with us to Surin and the maybe KK from here to CM catch up with the boys and girls there. From there we are going to take the train back to Bangkok, onto Phuket the next day for 3 or 4 days, fly back to Bangkok. The folks are then going back home, we will then come down to Pattaya for a few days, before going back to bangkok to finish off the holiday. I have worked the costs out and it is going to cost me about 35000 baht for the transport costs, which in my mind for 4 adults 2 children and a baby isnt bad :D

We are doing all this travelling so the wifes folks can see some of their country that they have never seen, and also so they can go on a train and a plane which they have never done. And also so her dad can see the beach and the sea which he has never done, the mother in law has seen the sea once and that was a couple of years ago when we took her on holiday with us

So yeah you will be able to buy me a drink when i come to see you, but dont worry i only drink fanta :o