Tv Screen As Monitor....

properperson

i've connected a tv screen to my computer as a monitor (via HDMI cable)....

but there is about a 1cm gap between the picture and the edge of the screen and its not quite central....

i tried messing with the screen resolution settings but the gap persists....

any ideas how to "stretch" the picture out to the edges of the screen ??

oh, tried the zoom buttons on the tv remote, but the gap persists.....

It may be that your video card is just not capable of filling the screen.

What is the resolution shown in the Control Panel for the video output?

A videocard with a HDMI connection that isn't able to put out 1080p ?

A videocard with a HDMI connection that isn't able to put out 1080p ?

I have the same problem.

My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 24B370.

The graphics card is an HIS AMD Radeon HD 6670.

Resolution is 1920x1080.

It works perfectly using the VGA cable, but has a 1" margin left and right and 1/2" margin top and bottom when I use the HDMI cable.

I recently downloaded "AMD Catalyst Drivers 13.1 XP" but haven't installed yet. I will after I do a system image.

The current installed version is 12.8.

The last time I tried to stretch the picture to fit the screen when connected by the HDMI cable, the clarity of the picture was noticeably worse.

With the VGA cable it is perfect.

I'll let you know what happens after I install the update.

can you tell me (step by step) how to do this ???

Go to control panel > Display.

Anyway your video card wil be 100% sure be able to display 1080P and most probably higher.

The way Litebeer described is the way to adjust your screen, but yes you need catalyst control, which probably is installed already anyway.

You access it through control panel > display > change display settings > advanced settings , then click the cc tab.

Assuming Vista or above.

Right click on an empty area of your desktop, click 'screen resolution'.

Ensure both screens are set to 'recommended' resolution, whilst you're there set to extend the desktop if you've not already.

Click OK

In the same right-click menu you should have the Catalyst Control Centre or the NVIDIA Control Panel (depends upon your graphics card), click it and there will be an 'overscan' or 'scale' option which you can use to tweek the display.

If you don't have CCC or NCP then you need to install the software that came with your graphics card (get it from the manufacturers website).

it gets worse..........

having downloaded the CCC and it sending my computer haywire, i deleted it....

now mediaplayer keeps crashing - apparently deleting the CCC has also deleted the drivers and on amd's site, the only way to download the drivers is with the whole suite, which sends my computer nuts......

<deleted> hell.....

anyone in north pattaya fancy rockin round and helping me ??

<snip>

The gap problem is still there after installing version 13-1 of AMD Catalyst Drivers for XP. Here's a pic:

post-35489-0-78077400-1364051271.jpg

When HDMI connected, there is an HDMI option on the monitor that can be set to "PC" or "AV". When in AV mode, the gap at the edges of the screen becomes half as big, but the text is not as clear. When in PC mode, the gap is as shown in the picture and it is crystal clear.

So I've gone back to using the analogue cable. Now the screen is filled and the clarity is perfect.

post-35489-0-78077400-1364051271_thumb.j

<snip>

The gap problem is still there after installing version 13-1 of AMD Catalyst Drivers for XP. Here's a pic:

post-35489-0-78077400-1364051271.jpg

When HDMI connected, there is an HDMI option on the monitor that can be set to "PC" or "AV". When in AV mode, the gap at the edges of the screen becomes half as big, but the text is not as clear. When in PC mode, the gap is as shown in the picture and it is crystal clear.

So I've gone back to using the analogue cable. Now the screen is filled and the clarity is perfect.

Did you go in ccc to the scaling options. It will give you a slider which you adjust until your screen is filled.

post-163350-0-85348500-1364053199_thumb.

Edited by jbrain

Did you go in ccc to the scaling options. It will give you a slider which you adjust until your screen is filled.

attachicon.gifccc.JPG

No, I only tried to fix it using the monitor's touch controls. Thanks for the idea - I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know what happens.

@properperson

Maybe try playing round with the refresh rate of your monitor:

From the Desktop>R-click>Properties>Settings Tab>Advanced>Monitor>Screen Refresh Rate

(Had a similar problem on an old CRT monitor that was fixed by doing this).

Edited by katana

@properperson

Maybe try playing round with the refresh rate of your monitor:

From the Desktop>R-click>Properties>Settings Tab>Advanced>Monitor>Screen Refresh Rate

(Had a similar problem on an old CRT monitor that was fixed by doing this).

thanks for the reply.....XP has just 2 settings - 50 and 60 - it was on 60 and i changed to 5, but no real change.........

have downloaded VLC player, which ironically works fine.......

any ideas how to fix a) the black lines and cool.png media player ??

I'm afraid after installing the latest version (13-1) of AMD Catalyst Drivers for XP, I had a few problems so I never got around to trying to adjust the Catalyst Control Panel when connected via the HDMI cable to see if I could get rid of the black margins.

The problems were:

1. Vuze (Azureus) would disappear (exit) immediately after it was started. I had to run it 1 or 2 more times before it stayed running.

2. Outlook Express would produce a "Have to exit" window and then crash as soon as the first email was opened for reading. This has never, ever happened before.

3. Compupic photo viewer/editor program would run OK, but the mouse would disappear making it very difficult to exit the program to get the mouse back!

All in all, a totally weird set of bugs. Naturally, I rebooted several times but the problems were consistent.

So I did a System Restore to before the Catalyst Drivers were updated, and the bugs have gone.

So I've made a note NEVER to update these drivers unless there is a definite acknowledgement from them that the release I tried was causing the problems and that it has been fixed.

Touch wood, it's working perfectly in analogue mode... so what the h3ll. smile.png