Jackets For The Heat....

GooEng

^

I know the report of this crash. The owner said the jacket was far to big when he bought it. So the protectors/sleeves didn't stay in place and the mesh slid over tarmac. And iirr it wasn't exactly low speed at maybe something like 70-80kmh. OK, not high speed either, but it would have been much worser without protection.

One thing is for sure imo. If you slide over tarmac on such mesh it will rip up easily. So the less mesh the jacket has the safer it will be. The jacket has to sit tight so that the cordura contacts the tarmac, not the mesh.

But why do we buy such mesh jacket? Because its better to wear a mesh jacket than to wear no protection at all.

^

Of course, but I think if I hit the Tarmac I'd rather be wearing A* or Dainese for the same price as they flow air very well but look like they would hold up better in a crash- the fact the pads might have moved isn't an excuse for the stitching to come apart, and it wasn't only the mesh that ripped, but the cordura as well.

Edited by RubberSideDown

^

Maybe the Tornado hat too much mesh and is build "too light" to be called a really safe jacket. I have the Tarmac Air and it fells pretty strong for 7200Baht. I don't think that other brands are safer per se. You have to look at the jacket you want to buy carefully. And then you have to decide whats more important: Safety or cooling effect.

But most important still is: You will have to wear the jacket to be protected.

Just google "mesh jacket crash" and look at the pictures. Mesh jackets tend to rip up. Most important is that the jacket retains its structural integrity, and the armor remains in place.

• Like 1

I just looked at my Dainese and A* mesh jackets- the area of cordura on the sleeve is wider where I would expect it to hit the road, but they both still have good (though not as much as the Tornado) ventilation.

I've got nothing against Rev'It and I think they make quality gear, but I agree that this particular jacket might be a bit compromised for the sake of comfort. The Tarmac Air looks to be exactly the same construction as my other jackets and (as they both work very well in hot weather and I'm sure this one does as well) I'd would choose it over the Tornado, which I think has too much mesh on the sleeves.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

^

No abrasion resistance unless they're some sort of Kevlar-reinforced jeans- you can wear pads over or under regular jeans, but you will always risk losing a serious amount of skin depending on how you land. There are plenty of motorcycle-specific jeans and there's a recent thread on the subject.

I wear perf leather pants (which you won't wear) weather-permitting, and I've got Drayko jeans (which I plan to replace with A* or Dainese jeans) and a pair of A* A-10 Air-Flo textile pants which zip to my A* jacket.

• 1 month later...

IF any one is still looking for a decent hot weather jacket. I have 2 for sale in the TV classifieds.

1 leather perforated mens xxl and one textile mesh womans WM.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/710993-rs-taichi-womens-motorcycle-jacket-light-blue-size-wm/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/710996-komine-leather-jacket-perforated-leather-black-xxxl-5900b/

I bought a couple of jackets for me and the missus on Ebay which I will collect this summer, when we visit. One is all silver (mans) the other a light colour, both fairly cheap and fabric, though only one is new.

Looking for specs on motorcycle clothing I found this an interesting article on how to compromise.

http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/88.html

Interesting what they say about the importance of trousers.

Edited by AllanB
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Going to bump this up as I'm looking for a new jacket/pants, have lost quite a bit of weight and my jacket is way too large now.

Fount this perforated leather jacket:

http://www.baysideperformance.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1283_14_486_4570&products_id=24115

Is it a good deal for this sort of jacket? It's on sale and free shipping within Canada.

Worrying about buying online in case the size is off? Specially the arms is what I'm worrying about, my wife likes buying me new shirts (and I nag her about it every time) and pretty much every shirt is too small in arms (forearms) but those shirts are Thai made.

It's 1.1mm thick, which will make it a 'one crash' jacket- even a mild low-side will probably mean trashing it- this isn't necessarily a bad thing as you need a hot weather jacket, but I'm just pointing it out- I often wear a 1.1mm leather jacket.;)

The A* Bio-Armor isn't bad (I've got it in one of their textile jackets), though it does feel a bit thin- it's CE-level-one, though, so it will offer decent protection in a get-off.

They mention it's compatible with the CE-level-two Bionic Race Back Protector, but it's probably not something you'd use often as it's a bit bulky and it sits separate from the jacket- I've got an A* suit that I use that protector in, but I stick with one of their inserts for my jacket.

It doesn't look like a 'technical' race fit jacket, so it shouldn't be too tight on your arms.

The price for A* leather seems pretty good to me- it's probably about to be discontinued, which is always when you can get a great deal on a jacket.

was in the same situation months ago after losing weight.

decided to try a Komine mesh (authentic not fake) this time, i like it...probably good for one time, its nice and lightweight...it was either that or a dainese air 3, the dainese had shoulder protectors you couldnt tell were there, very nice fit. But didnt flow as much air in the arms. The Komine had velcro adjustment straps for the elbow protection area. The dainese is tighter in the arms.

ive tried a few jackets and finding one that doesnt stab me in the throat is kinda hard to find.

if it helps im a large in Shift Leather....52 in Dainese mesh and XL in Komine mesh.

That a-star looks like its a throat stabber. There are fake Dainese air-3 floating around, you can tell by the buttons, dainese will be written larger than the authentic stuff.

Edited by KRS1

Would the leather (perforated) be too hot even if it's white in color?

1 thing I never purchased online is clothing, thanks for that neck comment KRS.

I will hold on buying this jacket, will go try some Dainese models in BKK first and then order online if anything fits. If not then will look at online shops for other products.

Glad I found this topic, when I started searching I found Revit Tornado jacket and pants 8000 bht each @ Panda Rider, but read some bad comments about Tornado so will pass.

I have the air frame model & like it. It

actually needed the wind liner put in during the cool season for mountain rides

as it does flow pretty well.

Of course on a sunny day it is still warm at stop lights.

But then what offers protection & is not hot when stopped ;)

http://www.dainese-central.com/Dainese-Air-Frame-Tex-Black-Black_A10H0R.aspx

Dainese-Air-Frame-Tex-Black-Black_700_60

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

How do I determine my size for Dainese jackets? Is there a formula where I plug in my chest size, etc, to convert to the European size?

ah yes, i forgot to figure in for the back protector as rubberside said

my chest measured at the nips is 40 inches with regular breathing...size 52 in dainese mesh is borderline too snug with a back protector, 54 would be optimal for me.

they are also a little tighter around the gut than other brands, and slightly shorter...if you have a beer gut, might want to take this into consideration. ) sparetire will pop out - not sexy !)

for bkk id go for mesh since its so humid down there, but up here in cnx perforated leather is doable do to less traffic and more open roads. The weight of leather to mesh is literally 3-4 times heaver. In traffic i think the weight will contribute to fatigue.

all Komine jackets come with back protectors, and some also come with frontal protection. Got mine for 4900 baht vs 7000 baht for the Dainese. Whatever you get, make sure you sit on your bike when your trying it on. I absolutely hate throat stabbing. The Dainese air 3 was to snug around the neck for my liking.

Another option id love to try is the Revit Ignition 2 combination mesh and leather , but i cant wrap my head around 15000 baht for a city jacket.

my Komine (looks better in real life):

edit: btw, dont worry too much about a zip in liner, you can get a thin polyester windbreaker for around 200-300 baht to wear underneath, thats what i do.

komine.jpg

spd_2012052613447_b.jpg

Edited by KRS1

i use perforated Revit ignition 2 jacket and it is quite good for any type of riding. I bought it from panda rider for way cheaper than USA price. It is quite sturdy and does not irritate the neck like my Dainese track suit jacket doing.

You can combine it with nice ignition 2 pants as well.

It is heavy but does not feel a lot hotter than my old Komine mesh one. Only my shoulders get wet after a hot Bangkok ride pity they did not do any type of vent or perforation on shoulder area so sweat cannot get evaporated and get trapped there guess still it does not bother me much as safety comes first than sweating.

Besides, you can but jackets possibly cheaper in bangkok than ordering them online - dont forget 30 percent custom duty.

• Like 1

LL, custom duty won't apply as I will be shipping it to Canada and picking up myself on my next trip, but I will check the local outlets first and compare with what I would pay ordering online. If there's any specials locally, it would probably be cheaper and easier to get gear here.

The hardest part is to figure out the brand and model, I've been going through various web stores (local and international) and I've been having headaches from thinking too much, too many choices... Will be back on land tomorrow and will check some local stores and try - that would be easiest to see what fits and what I like...

LL, custom duty won't apply as I will be shipping it to Canada and picking up myself on my next trip, but I will check the local outlets first and compare with what I would pay ordering online. If there's any specials locally, it would probably be cheaper and easier to get gear here.

The hardest part is to figure out the brand and model, I've been going through various web stores (local and international) and I've been having headaches from thinking too much, too many choices... Will be back on land tomorrow and will check some local stores and try - that would be easiest to see what fits and what I like...

believe me, not so many leather jacket choices for hot weather.

I did this research before as hell hot Bangkok commute in mind and these are your only choices. If just casual riding, dont go full leather and get leather mesh combinations, full leather is too much for city rides in Thailand.

Revit Ignition2: http://www.pandarider.com/Revit/RevitProductsLeatherJackets.html

Alpinestarts GP m Perf. Jacket: http://www.paddock.co.th/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=608&virtuemart_category_id=158&Itemid=625

Dainese G Frazer: http://www.dainese.com/it_it/motorbike/g-air-frazer-tex-pelle.html?cat=12

You can find all in Bangkok but check Daniese as their stocks are always less. Aldo Panda rider gives 10 percent discount.

And possibly, they will cost less in Bangkok than Canada.

Edited by ll2

• 10 months later...

BUMP.. a 1 yr old thread, rather than start a new one..biggrin.png

So I got a Revit Airwave Jacket for riding around Bangkok. As this is my first jacket, i've got nothing to compare it to for airflow ability .. But some others have said it doesn't flow air that great.

I'm looking for a second jacket so i can rotate my wardrobe a bit... I'm looking for textile with elbow and shoulder armor.

I wear gear all the time. Full face, jacket, kevlar jeans. boots, gloves.. So im thinking the second jacket i might go one step lower in protection / quality for the sake of more airflow.

This is solely for slow speed riding in traffic.

Dirt shop in BKK has Acerbis jacket thats pretty light weight and about 3000 baht odd

Real helmets also make cheap jackets under the name of BACUDA.. for about $3500 baht.

http://www.real-helmets.com/2014/product.php?p=5#main

anyone suggest some models?

• 1 month later...

Thought id bump this thread along with a small review of a Jacket i just bought and wore today for a narcissistic 220km ride around bangkok.

Dainese Air flux textile jacket.

Very happy with this jacket today. It was a stinking hot day but the jacket performed extreemly well. Flowed a ton of air compaired to my revit airwave jacket. Its got the usual armour in the shoulders, elbow and forearm and the ability to take a back protector too. Its only got two pockets in the front, velcro tabs on wrist, waist and neck for adjustment and the armour is velcroed in place

let me just add that this isnt a jacket to go riding silly in. But in my opinion, for general commuting at suburban speeds it should hopefully be adequate. This is what i wss looking for in my next jacket...a super light jacket thst flows a ton of air with armour protection.

honestly i dont know if you could find a lighter jacket than this. Available in Black, black and black.

• Like 1

Thought id bump this thread along with a small review of a Jacket i just bought and wore today for a narcissistic 220km ride around bangkok.

Dainese Air flux textile jacket.

Very happy with this jacket today. It was a stinking hot day but the jacket performed extreemly well. Flowed a ton of air compaired to my revit airwave jacket. Its got the usual armour in the shoulders, elbow and forearm and the ability to take a back protector too. Its only got two pockets in the front, velcro tabs on wrist, waist and neck for adjustment and the armour is velcroed in place

let me just add that this isnt a jacket to go riding silly in. But in my opinion, for general commuting at suburban speeds it should hopefully be adequate. This is what i wss looking for in my next jacket...a super light jacket thst flows a ton of air with armour protection.

honestly i dont know if you could find a lighter jacket than this. Available in Black, black and black.

Its for sure difficult to say, but how do you feel safety wise in the Dainese? Does it feel as safe/solid as the Revit Airwave, less safe/solid or even more safe?