Missing Russian Diver Found Dead In Phuket

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reports from other sources state he was free diving wearing a wetsuit, no scuba gear.

He apparently made several consecutive dives and on the final one failed to surface. This has all the indications of what is known as a 'shallow water blackout'.

It also "has all the indications of what is known as a heart attack" and a "brain aneurysm" and a "stroke" etc etc etc etc - only a proper autopsy will reveal the true cause of death.

You would make a fantastic detective wai.gif

You would make quite the Thai policeman. So easy to just say, "Farang drown."

The difference is, many travel and life insurance policies do not cover diving, and other sports deemed to be "extreme" - so, you, as a Thai policeman, so happy to dismiss the real cause of death and put sh*te on those looking for the facts, actually leave a family out of pocket, possible foreclosed on for their house back in farangland and in serious financial hardship.

All because YOU, as a Thai policeman, don't want to play "detective."

There is a bigger picture, usually back in farangland, that is at stake to most tourists deaths here.

But hey, as long as it never happens to you - right????

Reports from other sources state he was free diving wearing a wetsuit, no scuba gear.

He apparently made several consecutive dives and on the final one failed to surface. This has all the indications of what is known as a 'shallow water blackout'.

Some one knows his stuff.

10m on a lung of air is easy with fins. I am not a physician, but I believe on ascent as the lungs expand, they can draw out too much oxygen inn the blood causing the aforesaid black out.

Snorkelling where u dive holding ur breath should not be done alone

Very basic explanation: after inhalation at the surface you have oxygen in your body, which is used during the dive. On descent and at depth that is no problem, since the partial pressure if high enough. On ascent the partial pressure reduces, and with the reduced amount of oxygen the oxygen pressure can get too little for your brains, causing a black out, which can be deadly in the water.

Where does that leave someone doing several dives, such as this guy? Does that mean your oxygen levels are depleting, without you knowing it, despite doing several short free dives?

Edited by NamKangMan

Highly doubtfull that he was not wearing a weight belt as one thing we do know for sure is that he was wearing a wet suit which will provide positive bouyancy which requires a weight belt to be worn in order to attain neutral or negative bouyancy. Most free diving spear fishers use negative bouyancy in order to gain rapid decent and as such it is highly unlikely that intestinal gasses would overcome this excess weight in such a short time frame. Had he got into trouble in free water and ditched his belt he would have had come to the surface regardless an most probably in sight of the boat. There is so littlre substantive data in this article (as usaul) that it is almost impossible to determine the prevailing circumstances.

Pretty much the way I see it, despite knowing very little about diving.

We simply do not have enough reported information to draw any substantive conclusion.

It also "has all the indications of what is known as a heart attack" and a "brain aneurysm" and a "stroke" etc etc etc etc - only a proper autopsy will reveal the true cause of death.

The difference is, many travel and life insurance policies do not cover diving, and other sports deemed to be "extreme" - so, you, as a Thai policeman, so happy to dismiss the real cause of death and put sh*te on those looking for the facts, actually leave a family out of pocket, possible foreclosed on for their house back in farangland and in serious financial hardship.

There is a bigger picture, usually back in farangland, that is at stake to most tourists deaths here.

Wow that was quite a rant. Actually when I said you would make a fantastic detective I was being sarcastic, but clearly that went over your head.

As I do know quite a lot about diving being a Master Scuba Diver Trainer I would look for the most likely cause of the accident and that would in this case be a shallow water blackout.

Not quite sure what you mean by it's my fault his insurance won't pay out as he wasn't diving.

“It appears from his scuba suit and equipment that he was an experienced diver.

This seems to be this sentence that is causing all the confusion. As usual the Phuket Gazette has some of the worst reporters and proof readers around here it seem. I've never heard of a wetsuit being called a SCUBA suit, until now and I started SCUBA diving in 1969. If you check the other news source that we can't quote here due to forum rule 31: "Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources." It has a bit better account of what happened, IMO.

• Like 1

@ Soupdragon

Seriously, not a rant.

As far as, "Master Scuba Diver Trainer" - what's that really got to do with this guy's true cause of death????

Of course, you could also be an "International Lawyer" or a "Forensic Doctor" - then you might understand just "nid noi" about what I am talking about.

Just give a small thought to the bigger picture.

If he drowned whilst diving, and his life/travel insurance policy doesn't cover "death whilst undertaking extreme sports" - Eg. diving - yet he ACTUALLY died of a heart attack, there's a big difference for the surviving members of his family.

I have no doubt the insurance company will legally stand on the Thai police findings - however shi*te they are - and they are usually sh*te findings - that he drowned whilst diving, that's really convenient , and profitable for the insurance company, BUT, that may not be the true cause of death.

So, "Master Diver/ Master Dectective/ Master Doctor/ Master Forensic
Expert/ Master International Lawyer" - where do you think the facts SHOULD lay for a case like this????

Edited by NamKangMan

Its great to see all the usual PADI police preaching about the PADI standards and procedures. Whether he should be wearing a weight belt when free diving. What defines a scuba suit. The PADI buddy system should be enforced. Also discussions on whether it is illegal to spearfish whilst scuba diving. shallow water blackout. But the same preachers are bar fining girls and wearing knock off goods plus paying tea money to police. PADI Standards? No double standards! Now if you are basing your information on any Thai or Farang newspaper it really is a lost cause. Unless you were there its pointless speculating

“It appears from his scuba suit and equipment that he was an experienced diver.

This seems to be this sentence that is causing all the confusion. As usual the Phuket Gazette has some of the worst reporters and proof readers around here it seem. I've never heard of a wetsuit being called a SCUBA suit, until now and I started SCUBA diving in 1969. If you check the other news source that we can't quote here due to forum rule 31: "Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources." It has a bit better account of what happened, IMO.

Yes. Not sure who is to blame, the news reporters, or the Thai Police with their "press releases" wanting to treat everyone in the world like a mushroom, - "kept in the dark and feed BS" to protect Phuket's image.

@ Soupdragon

Seriously, not a rant.

As far as, "Master Scuba Diver Trainer" - what's that really got to do with this guy's true cause of death????

Of course, you could also be an "International Lawyer" or a "Forensic Doctor" - then you might understand just "nid noi" about what I am talking about.

Just give a small thought to the bigger picture.

If he drowned whilst diving, and his life/travel insurance policy doesn't cover "death whilst undertaking extreme sports" - Eg. diving - yet he ACTUALLY died of a heart attack, there's a big difference for the surviving members of his family.

I have no doubt the insurance company will legally stand on the Thai police findings - however shi*te they are - and they are usually sh*te findings - that he drowned whilst diving, that's really convenient , and profitable for the insurance company, BUT, that may not be the true cause of death.

So, "Master Diver/ Master Dectective/ Master Doctor/ Master Forensic

Expert/ Master International Lawyer" - where do you think the facts SHOULD lay for a case like this????

He was not scuba diving, he was free diving, not that that makes any difference as scuba diving at a recreational level is NOT classed as an extreme sport and is covered by the vast majority of travel insurance policies. If you knew anything at all about scuba diving, which you say you don't, you would understand this as insurance coverage for diving is covered very early on in the training.

You say

where do you think the facts SHOULD lay for a case like this????

I can only guess that English is not your first language as that makes no sense at all. Facts are facts and it is totally irrelevant where I think they should lay.

This does happen, but less and less and is really the exception. So: many etc. is not true, and since he was not scuba diving anyway this is not applicable.

Please don't talk about things you know nothing about..

Edited by stevenl

@ stevenl

Can you tell me why you belive one news source over another? Or, where you received the information that he was free diving, not scuba diving?

The story as mentioned by PG just does not make sense for scuba diving, only for free diving. Plus no scuba gear on any of the photos, plus the police mentions (at least in the translation) a scuba suit but does not mention anything about breathing gear.

Edited by stevenl

@ Soupdragon

You say diving is covered by the "majority" of insurance companies, but we don't know which company, if any, this guys was with.

As far as where the "facts lay" for this incident, as explanied, in perfect English, I hope the true cause of death is determined, and the Thai "detectives" simply do not dismiss the death as a drowning.

This guy was an experienced diver and had previous knowledge of the dive site, so, if he had a heart attack (very easily determined by an autopsy) ANY and ALL life insurance and/or travel insurance will cover the family for repatriation costs and their financial future, this many not be the case with certain insurance companies if the Thai "detectives" just dismiss his death as a drowing, whilst diving, because it's less paperwork for them.

@ Soupdragon

You say diving is covered by the "majority" of insurance companies, but we don't know which company, if any, this guys was with.

As far as where the "facts lay" for this incident, as explanied, in perfect English, I hope the true cause of death is determined, and the Thai "detectives" simply do not dismiss the death as a drowning.

This guy was an experienced diver and had previous knowledge of the dive site, so, if he had a heart attack (very easily determined by an autopsy) ANY and ALL life insurance and/or travel insurance will cover the family for repatriation costs and their financial future, this many not be the case with certain insurance companies if the Thai "detectives" just dismiss his death as a drowing, whilst diving, because it's less paperwork for them.

Stick to subjects you know something about (it's going to be quiet here).

Show me any travel insurance policy which excludes free diving from the cover.

@ stevenl

Can you tell me why you belive one news source over another? Or, where you received the information that he was free diving, not scuba diving?

The story as mentioned by PG just does not make sense for scuba diving, only for free diving. Plus no scuba gear on any of the photos, plus the police mentions (at least in the translation) a scuba suit but does not mention anything about breathing gear.

I took "suba suit" to mean a scuba vest, not a wetsuit. Why would you wear a scuba vest, without the breathing gear?

Anyway, as mentioned in another post, the article does not contain a lot of information. The journalist could have asked a few more questions. Eg. free dive or scuba dive - was he wearing his full scuba gear etc etc.

@ stevenl

I took "suba suit" to mean a scuba vest, not a wetsuit. Why would you wear a scuba vest, without the breathing gear?

Anyway, as mentioned in another post, the article does not contain a lot of information. The journalist could have asked a few more questions. Eg. free dive or scuba dive - was he wearing his full scuba gear etc etc.

Yes, the journalist could and should have, but did not. And people here on the forum could have stuck to the facts, but did not, spreading misinformation here.

@ stevenl

@ soupdragon

This is the insurance PDS of one of the bigger travel insurance companies in Australia, Covermore.

Diving is listed under:

GENERAL EXCLUSIONS

We will not pay for:

"14. claims involving participation by You or Your travelling companion
in hunting, racing (other than on foot), polo playing, hang gliding,
off-piste snow skiing or snowboarding, rodeo riding, BASE
jumping, sports activities in a professional capacity, mountaineering
or rock climbing using ropes or guides, scuba diving unless You
hold an Open Water Diving Certificate or are diving with a qualified
diving instructor."

The whole PDS can be viewed here:

http://www.covermore.com.au/aucm/pdf/pds/options.pdf

@ stevenl

Yes, the journalist could and should have, but did not. And people here on the forum could have stuck to the facts, but did not, spreading misinformation here.

Well, those "facts" or lack of, are going to be pretty important to the deceased's family, in relation to life/travel insurance.

I may know nothing about diving, but I know a little about "contracts."

Like I said, "the bigger picture."

@ stevenl

@ soupdragon

This is the insurance PDS of one of the bigger travel insurance companies in Australia, Covermore.

Diving is listed under:

GENERAL EXCLUSIONS

We will not pay for:

diving instructor."

So even in that exception you have found scuba diving is covered. On top of that the accident here did not involve scuba diving, so the exclusion is not applicable.

Its great to see all the usual PADI police preaching about the PADI standards and procedures. Whether he should be wearing a weight belt when free diving. What defines a scuba suit. The PADI buddy system should be enforced. Also discussions on whether it is illegal to spearfish whilst scuba diving. shallow water blackout. But the same preachers are bar fining girls and wearing knock off goods plus paying tea money to police. PADI Standards? No double standards! Now if you are basing your information on any Thai or Farang newspaper it really is a lost cause. Unless you were there its pointless speculating

Not quite sure why people advocating PADI standards have double standards!

Anyhow these are not just PADI but general diving practices.

Also what has that to do with bar fines etc, how do you know what these people do? Now you are speculating.

Agree with the last part though, nobody knows what happened. Probably never will.

@ Soupdragon

See below post, no mention of free diving, only scuba diving. I hope he was free diving, for insurance purposes.

You are in the industry. Any further information on this incident????

@ Soupdragon

See below post, no mention of free diving, only scuba diving. I hope he was free diving, for insurance purposes.

You are in the industry. Any further information on this incident????

In that example you gave scuba diving is covered. Got an example where free diving is excluded, or let's widen it, where scuba diving is excluded (the latter do exist).

Edited by stevenl

@ stevenl

@ soupdragon

Diving is listed under:

GENERAL EXCLUSIONS

We will not pay for:

diving instructor."

So even in that exception you have found scuba diving is covered. On top of that the accident here did not involve scuba diving, so the exclusion is not applicable.

I read it to be if the deceased was scuba diving and held an open water certificate, he would be covered - OR - he did not hold a certificate, but was diving with a dive instructor.

The article mentions he was with his wife (probably not a dive instructor) and does not mention if he held a dive certificate. Once again, crutial information for repatriation of the body (not cheap) and his family's financial future.

Like I said, it's a little more involved than just "farang go dive and drown - case close."

@ stevenl

@ soupdragon

Diving is listed under:

GENERAL EXCLUSIONS

We will not pay for:

diving instructor."

I read it to be if the deceased was scuba diving and held an open water certificate, he would be covered - OR - he did not hold a certificate, but was diving with a dive instructor.

The article mentions he was with his wife (probably not a dive instructor) and does not mention if he held a dive certificate. Once again, crutial information for repatriation of the body (not cheap) and his family's financial future.

Like I said, it's a little more involved than just "farang go dive and drown - case close."

You have to make a distinction:

1) this accident, where the deceased was freediving, so the policy condition you mention is not applicable;

2) scuba diving, where the policy condition you mention is applicable, which in real life terms means: scuba diving is covered.

Again the question: show me any travel insurance policy where free diving is excluded, or even where scuba diving is excluded (yes, they do exist).

Or if you can't do that: shut up about diving not being covered on travel insurance.

Edited by stevenl

Why are you guys bothering with all this unnecessary speculation?

We don't know the cause of death, we don't know what type of diving he was partaking in, we don't know if he has insurance or what the insurance policy covers or excludes.

• Like 2

@ stevenl

@ soupdragon

Diving is listed under:

GENERAL EXCLUSIONS

We will not pay for:

diving instructor."

1) this accident, where the deceased was freediving, so the policy condition you mention is not applicable;

2) scuba diving, where the policy condition you mention is applicable, which in real life terms means: scuba diving is covered.

Again the question: show me any travel insurance policy where free diving is excluded, or even where scuba diving is excluded (yes, they do exist).

Or if you can't do that: shut up about diving not being covered on travel insurance.

You keep banging on about "he was free diving" and I should shut up about diving because I know nothing about it - WHERE did you get this information from????

Why are you guys bothering with all this unnecessary speculation?

We don't know the cause of death, we don't know what type of diving he was partaking in, we don't know if he has insurance or what the insurance policy covers or excludes.

Exactly.

If he was scuba diving - I hope he has a certificate and is covered.

If he was scuba diving without a certificate, I hope he was with a dive instructor, and therefore covered. If he wasn't, it appears he will not be covered.

If he was free diving, he is covered.

Of course, an autopsy may reveal he died of a heart attack, or similar, and therefore he is covered.

In my opinion, a piece of pretty ordinary journalism to not ask a few important questions. I hope the Thai investigator, and I use that term losely, find the facts, because they may be important to his family's financial future.

@ stevenl

@ soupdragon

Diving is listed under:

GENERAL EXCLUSIONS

We will not pay for:

diving instructor."

You keep banging on about "he was free diving" and I should shut up about diving because I know nothing about it - WHERE did you get this information from????

You claim scuba diving is excluded on many travel insurance policies. So very simple question: show me the policies where excluded. You'll find one or two probably, but so far all you have managed is to find one where it is covered.

I have not said you should shut up about diving, I have said: "if you can't do that: shut up about diving not being covered on travel insurance". And I have already answered your question about where the information comes from.

And yes, Mitch is right, this is taking way too long about something that is only a side issue to the topic.