Chinese Automobile Giant To Invest 9Bn Baht In Thailand

webfact

As much as many people dislike Chinese Cars on TV, i believe they will do really well in Thailand.

Cars will look good and will be much cheaper than Jap cars and it will sell.

Depending on how they will set up , it might do really well, because if they set up good network for service and parts and offer a wider choice, you will see people buying more and more.

By the time the domestic excise tax is put on, it isn't going to be easy to make them that much cheaper.

Only semi true, look at dong feng, their mini trucks are 100k cheaper than anything else, mini van are only around 500k new

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-164009-0-21388500-1364383663_thumb.

I suspect they will be producing these, not the Hummer clone thing.

They have become quite popular in Australia (no doubt due to their $4/5000 lighter price-tag than anything comparable) despite the fact that they have a poor safety/high injury rating.

Well heres my bit-----to date bought new 2 honda jazz---1 toyota vios, sold the vios last year and saw a car that was -up my street, it was a Chinese Chery, BUT not the more common QQ this was the A113 eco 1.3L.

Bought for under 390.000. metalic grey-roof rack-spots-Mags5 yes mag spare. leather seats, 5 door hatch,heated rear window and wiper back.- LED lights,- spoilers-, air con AND car heater- mpe/cd- tints-mirror control-air bags-ABS-remote locks. fast for small car-1 kilometer 2 bht- service in cities-chery.

I have driven 30,000 kilometers, in the 3 years I had 1 clutch cable go. It is a delight to drive.

Now compare the price. there is few with this speck, jazz700.000, vios 680,000. saving me on new price300,000 bht. if anyone wants to talk stupid about this car, then they have not driven it. I am comparing on quality/price. My 1st choice was always Honda accord--and later the Prelude fabulous, but to trip from Udon to Jomptien in seven and three quarter hours in my Chery A113, love it. sorry for spoiling some posters slagging off Chinese cars,, think please,, components from Bosch--I think Ltus and a Japanese company are involved at the Chery plant in China.

• Like 1

Does anyone find it odd that China, once the cheapest place on the planet to setup manufacturing facilities is now investing in a neighboring country to build a auto manufacturing plant? Truly odd IMO.

I now have in Hong Kong elderly Landrover Freelander V6 and BMW 3 AC Schnitzer with Super Charger a Porsche eater !!!!!!.. mentioned to show the range of cars I have used to validate my comments ..

Are you trying to tell us just how wealthy you are or are you trying to make a statement.

that is good news. love to see that bilateral cooperation and Asian economy grow.

Obviously you never tried driving a car made in china,

I tried to drive something called a chery from chongching to yunnan, I must say that the highways were quite good...not full of potholes, After we had 2 incidents of wheels flying off we just ditched it and left it for dead.

Never thought I would be defending anything Chinese, but I have to disagree. Laos is full of Chinese-built cars, the latest being the British MG, beginning about 5 years ago. Quality may be lower than Korean, Japanese or other equivalents, but they are a lot cheaper and in my opinion, generally good value. In Vientiane we have a small Chery as a second car, bought new for exactly $8,000 (240,000 baht) 4 years ago. Very few and minor problems; the aircon gas hasn't even needed topping up. And Vientiane (and the rest of the country) still has a lot of potholes!

Edited by laobali
  • Like 2

Does anyone find it odd that China, once the cheapest place on the planet to setup manufacturing facilities is now investing in a neighboring country to build a auto manufacturing plant? Truly odd IMO.

To service local market. If they make in china and bring here retail price would be double if not triple due to import car tax, but if made here- will be cheaper than anything else.

Just saw new shop with Chinese import Tuk Tuks. 79 000 baht, compare to local 200 000 baht

Well heres my bit-----to date bought new 2 honda jazz---1 toyota vios, sold the vios last year and saw a car that was -up my street, it was a Chinese Chery, BUT not the more common QQ this was the A113 eco 1.3L.

Bought for under 390.000. metalic grey-roof rack-spots-Mags5 yes mag spare. leather seats, 5 door hatch,heated rear window and wiper back.- LED lights,- spoilers-, air con AND car heater- mpe/cd- tints-mirror control-air bags-ABS-remote locks. fast for small car-1 kilometer 2 bht- service in cities-chery.

I have driven 30,000 kilometers, in the 3 years I had 1 clutch cable go. It is a delight to drive.

Now compare the price. there is few with this speck, jazz700.000, vios 680,000. saving me on new price300,000 bht. if anyone wants to talk stupid about this car, then they have not driven it. I am comparing on quality/price. My 1st choice was always Honda accord--and later the Prelude fabulous, but to trip from Udon to Jomptien in seven and three quarter hours in my Chery A113, love it. sorry for spoiling some posters slagging off Chinese cars,, think please,, components from Bosch--I think Ltus and a Japanese company are involved at the Chery plant in China.

So where can these Chinese cars be bought in Thailand? I am in Pattaya, would like to go have a look for a 2nd cheap car for the household.

I am presently living and working in China and run in the business several Chinese made cars and people carriers plus trucks that we have run over the last 3 years,

simple report from direct experience of purchasing Chinese made and designed vehicles Not the copy ones !!! Chinese models or approved joint ventures

Servicing and warrantee spot on ,

Defects very few , niggling issues ,

Build quality okay improving by the month

Breakdowns zero Comfort .. very acceptable

Safety airbags driver and passenger / ABS / EBS

Economy okay could be better Last purchase improved economies starting to kick in .

The revisions and improvements I see over the last few years is amazing .. most reports , including Top Gear are out dated or biased for Humour

Having lived in Korea when they first started car mass product and export ( I had a Hyundai Pony and a Kia in Korea ) , the initial standards and rate of improvement of vehicles in China is at least 3 times the rate I saw in Korea .. and now look how respectable their cars are in the world .. Just give it a few more years and the Made in China negativity will be disapearing Look how Skoda managed the reputation change and China has more might and determination .. and certainly produce better vehicles than Malaysia Proton ( I also ran a Proton 21 year old car purchased to teach my young son old fashioned mechanics re grinding valves etc cost me 200 quid and ran for 2 years sold for 300 quid ..

I now have in Hong Kong elderly Landrover Freelander V6 and BMW 3 AC Schnitzer with Super Charger a Porsche eater !!!!!!.. mentioned to show the range of cars I have used to validate my comments ..

Just give it a few years and you may be considering a Chinese made car ..

I have worked for both companies mentioned, Chery and Great Wall.

Don't be surprised, as the above poster makes, if China does get it spot on!

They have been paying Western engineers 'a fortune' to go in, demonstrate, manage, exemplify, and write Western safety standards for all companies.

My last position was at 'Qoros' - formerly Chery-Quantum.

These cars more than outclass many Western manufacturers in Euro N-Cap 5* (yes, five star crash testing) AND FMVSS (USA -Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) and will sell very well!! Designed by German, English and Swedish engineers, watch out for Qoros.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/75176c70-87df-11e2-8e3c-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2OjvvWDTj

So, before anybody spouts about lack of safety or bad emissions or unsafe build - read the above, as all Chinese OEMs are doing the same!

-mel.

Edit: http://www.qorosauto.com/en/aboutqoros/introduction

Edited by MEL1
  • Like 1

So where can these Chinese cars be bought in Thailand? I am in Pattaya, would like to go have a look for a 2nd cheap car for the household.

I think in Rayong or near by

• Like 1

As much as many people dislike Chinese Cars on TV, i believe they will do really well in Thailand.

Depending on how they will set up , it might do really well, because if they set up good network for service and parts and offer a wider choice, you will see people buying more and more.

By the time the domestic excise tax is put on, it isn't going to be easy to make them that much cheaper.

Only semi true, look at dong feng, their mini trucks are 100k cheaper than anything else, mini van are only around 500k new

Look at the Suzuki van

Look at the Suzuki van

Dong Feng is still cheaper :)

Look at the Suzuki van

Dong Feng is still cheaper :)

I thought the Suzuki was about 400k. Maybe mistaken

image-454894-galleryV9-wski.jpg

i like the play with geometrical shape in that building. impressive piece of modern architecture.

looks little bit too foggy. did you took that photo early in the morning?

it seems there is also some reflection, like if you were photographing trough a glass window right in front of you. that can be avoided with the use of a polarizing filter. a polarizing filter can also help to increase the contrast and to capture the sky blue of the sky which otherwise often turned out boring grey on the photo.

for the other photo, that one of the road - it is a great shot of urban life.

but i would have taken a few little steps to the right side - to bring a even more symmetric composition to the frame. if you play with symmetry it must me 100% or you lose the effect.

thanks for sharing your photos.

Edited by ZhouZhou
  • Like 1

image-447306-galleryV9-ltmu.jpg

Welcome to Chinthai 2015. Keep pollutioning and economical growt will not help anyone.

Very scary for our kids and the future of the earth but still the cars keep coming, crazy really.

I hope they can soon find a sustainable replacement for the combustion engines or it will all go to hell.

Look at the Suzuki van

Dong Feng is still cheaper smile.png

I thought the Suzuki was about 400k. Maybe mistaken

I think you referring to Suzuki Carry, its i think 360K, The Dong Feng Truck is around 300K

image-447306-galleryV9-ltmu.jpg

Welcome to Chinthai 2015. Keep pollutioning and economical growt will not help anyone.

Very scary for our kids and the future of the earth but still the cars keep coming, crazy really.

I hope they can soon find a sustainable replacement for the combustion engines or it will all go to hell.

They already have, the electric cars. The problem is there are no "charging" stations, plus everyone wants power and speed for some reason, like they can go fast in grid locksw00t.gif

Later this year there WILL be a glut of eco cars, all sold off to second hand dealers -due to finace re-posessions. this government first time scheme to backfire--no EXPLODE. expecting thousands of VERY low mileage Brios--mirrage--march models................Looking forward to TOYOTAS new eco car due November. like the Chinese auto's---expect 1 kilometer--2 bht. on easy driving. as fast as a Vios--and 5 seats. If you want to put your foot down legal kilo/hour is reached with ease... bring on the Chinese cars---more competition.

Later this year there WILL be a glut of eco cars, all sold off to second hand dealers -due to finace re-posessions. this government first time scheme to backfire--no EXPLODE. expecting thousands of VERY low mileage Brios--mirrage--march models................Looking forward to TOYOTAS new eco car due November. like the Chinese auto's---expect 1 kilometer--2 bht. on easy driving. as fast as a Vios--and 5 seats. If you want to put your foot down legal kilo/hour is reached with ease... bring on the Chinese cars---more competition.

Only dealers will not be selling those cheap.

What is toyota eco car? they already have the prius which is rather expansive.

They already have, the electric cars. The problem is there are no "charging" stations, plus everyone wants power and speed for some reason, like they can go fast in grid locks:w00t:

That is not what I call sustainable, when the batteries are charged the power comes from a maybe coal/oil power plant, buy okay it will stop all the "small engines" so a step in the right direction.

They (we) need to find an "engine" that can use something completely different than we are used to, H2O? Or?

Electric cars can go fast and accelerate much faster than a combustion powered car, but the juice goes fast.

Edited by guzzi850m2

another company that thinks its ok to foresake the homeland that educated its owners and top executives and move production to a foreign country therefore depriving its fellow countrymen of jobs and a better standard of living....I would take them all out and shoot them

Not really, they are following the same industrial revolutions and patterns that Western economies followed during the past 200 years but they are doing it in a much quicker manner.

The Chinese have invested over $9 Billion in Cambodia in the last 18 years. Quite staggering figures. With another $11 Billion to follow possibly. Not even mentioning their investments in Africa and elsewhere.

As we Westerners moved our industries to Asian countries to improve profit margins, now they are moving their industries to cheaper areas.

The sun is quickly setting on the once-powerful Western economies and is rising in the East.

Only dealers will not be selling those cheap.

What is toyota eco car? they already have the prius which is rather expansive.

Prius is a hybrid style--the new eco car from Toyota is to rival Brio--mirage-march---eco is lower taxed car I think it is under 1.4 cc or threabouts. they all have a basic price of roughly starting 380,000 new.

They already have, the electric cars. The problem is there are no "charging" stations, plus everyone wants power and speed for some reason, like they can go fast in grid locks:w00t:

That is not what I call sustainable, when the batteries are charged the power comes from a maybe coal/oil power plant, buy okay it will stop all the "small engines" so a step in the right direction.

They (we) need to find an "engine" that can use something completely different than we are used to, H2O? Or?

Electric cars can go fast and accelerate much faster than a combustion powered car, but the juice goes fast.

I think from memory it was on Fox news, not so long ago, but they found a way to turn trash into "fuel" for cars. At the moment it is very expansive but according to CEO of that company it will get cheaper. So basically all the trash gets recycled and turned into fuel for cars

But, its not like diesel or petrol its some kind of combusted gas

To service local market. If they make in china and bring here retail price would be double if not triple due to import car tax, but if made here- will be cheaper than anything else.

Just saw new shop with Chinese import Tuk Tuks. 79 000 baht, compare to local 200 000 baht

That makes sense... Thanks for the explanation...

The west can moan and wring their hands regarding carbon emissions all they like, but until China and India get on board with reductions in greenhouse gasses we a pissing up a rope. That photo of Bejing looks worse than LA ever looked 30 years ago in the height of the smog era in California.

China is making some headway, although with the growth of the middle class in China and the affluence it brings, everyone want's a piece of the prosperity pie, which included auto ownership. Motorbikes & motorcycles are banned In many cities in China now. Even smaller electric bikes are banned in some locales.

That makes sense... Thanks for the explanation...

Remember guys not that long ago we used to frown at KIA--HYundi now look at the styles and the luxury......same goes for Samsung LG we have to take the Chinese seriously----They dont make cars like LADA----remember Wartberg--- some people think These chinese products are the same NO they are a threat to Japan and Korean models--and give them a few years and most will be buying---same LG-from Hitachi--samsung from sanyo