How Difficult Is It To Get A Thai Motorbike Driver's License?

Looked at some other topics after searching & the replies seemed to switch to a "helmet" question. Not all, but looking for a direct answer.

Just rented a house in Udon Thani & a couple weeks ago was stopped at a check-point. The policeman told me my California Driver's License was not valid for Thailand, that I had to have a Thai license...I protested with the typical tourist rhetoric & was released. I want to avoid the hassles, also can't just use an International Permit (only for cars), so how hard is it to get a Motorbike driver's license in Udon Thani or is it preferred to get it in Bangkok? Don't know how many "Ministries of Transportation" exist in Thailand.

Also as a note, I live about 15 min outside of town where there are no check points but do like going to UD Town occasionally. Live with a Thai girlfriend so translation is not an issue & will be looking to purchase a new bike in the next month.

• Like 1

Get a Thai licence man, if you have an accident and you don't have proper drivers licence YOU will be at fault and your insurance won't pay either.

Furthermore, many tourist attractions around Thailand have a 2 price system, one for tourists and one for Thais.

I have gotten in at different tourist attractions in Pattaya/Bangkok & Phuket at Thai prices when flashing my car & bike licences and saved myself several thousands bath in the process.

• Like 1

it is easy to get especially outside of touristic areas and big cities like Bangkok.

And you hold your license from California means you do not need to take any test and can finish everything in half day.

So, you need your passport, proof of residence from immigration or from your Embassy or if you have a non b visa or work permit it is fine too.

You need a 100 thb medical test from any roadside clinic and a couple of more docs that you can ask by phone.

You can get it in Udon easily and while you are applying for a bike license also get a car license too just in case as it is easy to get both of them at the same time.

Good luck.

As the others said the test is very easy.. but how most Transport offices work.. you do the paperwork and computer multi choice test in english in morning and practical in afternoon... see here for idea of practical test.
Many test centres are a lot smaller than Pattaya...

The computer test you have 1 hour.. it should take about 15-20 minutes.. if you fail 1st time.. ask to try again. most will let you within the 1hr.

You will only fail because the tests are thai logic,,,,, take your brain out and leave it at home..then no problems smile.png

Edited by thaicbr

As the others said the test is very easy.. but how most Transport offices work.. you do the paperwork and computer multi choice test in english in morning and practical in afternoon... see here for idea of practical test.

Many test centres are a lot smaller than Pattaya...

The computer test you have 1 hour.. it should take about 15-20 minutes.. if you fail 1st time.. ask to try again. most will let you within the 1hr.

You will only fail because the tests are thai logic,,,,, take your brain out and leave it at home..then no problems smile.png

I noticed that the guy in the first video took off without any indicator going (Normal)

I guess it all depends on where you are. I did my motorcy and car test on Koh Samui. After producing my Aussie licence, i was told " no driving test" needed, only had to do the reaction test which i found easy. But yes, as a previous member has stated, you do need the Thai licence because if you are in an accident without one, you will surely be the guilty party. Also , i am not sure how your insurance company will react if you do not have a licence, knowing their propensity to find a way out .

it is easy to get especially outside of touristic areas and big cities like Bangkok.

And you hold your license from California means you do not need to take any test and can finish everything in half day.

So, you need your passport, proof of residence from immigration or from your Embassy or if you have a non b visa or work permit it is fine too.

You need a 100 thb medical test from any roadside clinic and a couple of more docs that you can ask by phone.

You can get it in Udon easily and while you are applying for a bike license also get a car license too just in case as it is easy to get both of them at the same time.

Good luck.

Why do you say outside tourist areas? No problem in Pattaya, they speak good English, they have English theory on the PC if you are a Westerner,

and they are even polite too.

I saw one guy fail his theory and they immediately make him try again and then he passed after a bit of nursing, he-he.

I recon that maybe 5% of the students are non Thais.

If you have a official thai translation of your license+ all required docs you dont have to do a test at all, just an eye and reaction test. BUT it may vary from DLT to DLT!

But only if it shows motorcycle on the license. If not you do the test.

Medical cert from hospital. Proof of your residential address in Thailand from your Embassy or Yellow book, and a day watching a silly video at the driving licensing centre. I maybe easier to do in rural areas, but you must have the above in CM and BKK, I would have thought Udon too! Good luck, and do get one as if as mentioned above, you do get in to an accident, your problems will begin especially if a Thai is hurt as a result.

If you have a official thai translation of your license+ all required docs you dont have to do a test at all, just an eye and reaction test. BUT it may vary from DLT to DLT!

But only if it shows motorcycle on the license. If not you do the test.

My UK license shows motorcycle, but I still had to do the whole bloody test, even though I have a Thai car license, International and EU bike listing. I guess they are pretty strict here in CM.

Thanks...all. The visuals/videos were most helpful. Also the links are appreciated.

Probably just start with a motorbike license 1st. My CA driver's license is for cars (C Class) only. I was going to get an International Driver's Permit for that here before I return. Checked and Thailand is on the list as accepted countries without restrictions. Would initially prefer to rent a car short term & get used to driving in the right side seating (passenger's seat in the US) 1st. Can do this in the rural less traffic areas.

Question is, at the test sites, do I need to get a rental vehicle, whether be a motorbike first prior to showing up or do they provide/rent the bikes to you? Also is the test site/licensing facility in or near UD Town or within Udon Thani city limits, given the strong possibility I'll be stopped once passing Big C & the overpass for the helmet/license check point? However paying the fine (hopefully reasonable) & proceeding to the Licensing site is acceptable.