Is It Possible To Enjoy Driving In Los?

thaibeachlovers

I drive here whenever I can. Not because I enjoy it, but because I probably have trust issues with other drivers and prefer to drive myself.

I've been driving here for the most of my Adult life, I know I'm safer than most of the people who might otherwise drive for me (taxis, vans, busses etc)

I worked for an International Company who's policy it was not for their expats to drive. It nearly became an issue when I ignored this and when visiting and working site locations outside of Bangkok I drove myself rather than permit a younger, more inexperienced driver in a less safe vehicle drive me. A blind eye was turned out of common sense.

Driving in Thailand takes much more concentration than at home, people here really do carry out some incredibly daft manoeuvres, I think I predict the movement of other cars well, but anything can happen, I feel incredibly uncomfortable taking my eyes off the road where as at home I can glance at the radio or a passing sign for a little longer.

Thailand driving is simply more intensive, it has to be as the concentration levels required are higher... the 'What if' factor must always be present... (as in 'what if that car / bike pulls out in front of me')... I've been driving here 15 years now, it takes more effort than back home, but it doesn't mean its not enjoyable especially when in decent motor.

• Like 2

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you not enjoy driving through places like this?

-

Gorgeous pics, inspiring.

But rather than internal combustion, how about this?

Here is an environmentally friendly option but with the smoke in the air these days it might make your lungs internally combust.wink.png

mt%2520bike%2520%252003.jpg

• Like 1

Good collection of replies, Thanks.

Perhaps those that do enjoy driving here can let us know where I can obtain that happy state of mind on the roads.

1 Never drive at night

2 Never drive in Bangkok

3 Always keep your distance(50yards+)

4 Laugh about anything you usually feel frustrated about

Sounds like good advise, living in Phuket I never drive or ride at night.

Sounds like good advise, living in Phuket I never drive or ride at night.

-

My preferred time for leaving Bangkok for the provinces is 3am, miss the BKK madness and by the time I pass Korat the worst of the night truck madness has stopped, sane people are getting up and about, arrive at the (ex)in-laws by lunchtime and chill in a shaded hammock with a fan and a book while the kids go run riot.

Trying to do the same trip normal hours is much more stressful, and yes long country highways late at night are very dangerous, crazy trying to get past all those slow overloaded trucks.

Driving in Thailand gives me the feeling of freedom that was taken away from me in the west.

Yesterday did a nice trip up and down the mountains. Somehow Thai drivers share my thinking and driving style.

Driving in Thailand gives me the feeling of freedom that was taken away from me in the west.

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1
Not only while driving... unfortunately this "feeling of freedom" cannot be found anywhere in the west... IMHO of course
1zgarz5.gifI understand some expats would like more regulations in LOS... certainly not me guitar.gif

Firstly Village Farang, again some wonderful photos thanks. I've only driven up north in 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Rode a bike around a lot of those mountain top village places back in 90 up from Chiang Rai towards Mae Sai, bit spooky with armed guys wandering around but again loved it.

Like fanging around Phang Nga but Phuket is just a little too much traffic last time I was there, back when? it used to be fun to hop on a motorbike and go from cove to cove now its kinda all one.

I've always liked conning any machine around, even a tractor and a cab, so love driving in Thailand, ever vigilant though one has to be.

About a month ago here Etan no lights plus trailer 5 people altogether, Hi Lux ploughs in at speed all dead except Hi Lux boy did a runner, both vehicles or whats left of them are in plain view at the police station, not sure if they ever catch up with these runners, I suppose not if the price is right.

Is It Possible To Enjoy Driving In Los?

A lot depends on what you're driving and who you're with. :whistling:

Very true.:)

Wel tomorrow at 5 am I am off on the 1350 odd km drive back to Phuket accompanied by My 2 Bosses the Missus and our 2 year old daughter. Could not think of 2 people I would prefer to have in the car with me - certainly entertaining.

Man up children. People cry about the Nanny-state back home controlling their lives, then come here and cry “Where is my Nanny and why isn’t she protecting me?” Grow a pair and learn how to fend for yourself.thumbsup.gif

Sure it is a wild, crazy, unregulated world out there but isn’t it a whole lot more fun that way? Jump on in, the water is fine. Driving in Thailand is an adventure and a thrill a minute, so sit back and enjoy.biggrin.png

I don't have a problem with a nannyless state.

What I don't want to happen is ending up with a lot of problems caused by running over some stupid idiot that pulls out in front of me without warning or looking , OR the morons driving lightless m'bikes and wearing dark clothing because they think they are invulnerable ( or they just don't think at all ). They're a bit like the animals that run across the road in front of you just avoiding being flattened.

What's to enjoy about killing some villager because they're stupid? I don't think that's "fun" at all.

It very nearly happened on my last trip, so not just theory.

• Like 2

Man up children. People cry about the Nanny-state back home controlling their lives, then come here and cry “Where is my Nanny and why isn’t she protecting me?” Grow a pair and learn how to fend for yourself.thumbsup.gif

Sure it is a wild, crazy, unregulated world out there but isn’t it a whole lot more fun that way? Jump on in, the water is fine. Driving in Thailand is an adventure and a thrill a minute, so sit back and enjoy.biggrin.png

I don't have a problem with a nannyless state.

What I don't want to happen is ending up with a lot of problems caused by running over some stupid idiot that pulls out in front of me without warning or looking , OR the morons driving lightless m'bikes and wearing dark clothing because they think they are invulnerable ( or they just don't think at all ). They're a bit like the animals that run across the road in front of you just avoiding being flattened.

What's to enjoy about killing some villager because they're stupid? I don't think that's "fun" at all.

It very nearly happened on my last trip, so not just theory.

-

Which is why hit and run is such an important part of Thai culture. . .

I drive here whenever I can. Not because I enjoy it, but because I probably have trust issues with other drivers and prefer to drive myself.

I've been driving here for the most of my Adult life, I know I'm safer than most of the people who might otherwise drive for me (taxis, vans, busses etc)

I worked for an International Company who's policy it was not for their expats to drive. It nearly became an issue when I ignored this and when visiting and working site locations outside of Bangkok I drove myself rather than permit a younger, more inexperienced driver in a less safe vehicle drive me. A blind eye was turned out of common sense.

Driving in Thailand takes much more concentration than at home, people here really do carry out some incredibly daft manoeuvres, I think I predict the movement of other cars well, but anything can happen, I feel incredibly uncomfortable taking my eyes off the road where as at home I can glance at the radio or a passing sign for a little longer.

Thailand driving is simply more intensive, it has to be as the concentration levels required are higher... the 'What if' factor must always be present... (as in 'what if that car / bike pulls out in front of me')... I've been driving here 15 years now, it takes more effort than back home, but it doesn't mean its not enjoyable especially when in decent motor.

What you say about taking eyes off the road for an instant is correct. I couldn't relax for a second, which is very tiring on long trip. It also makes it impossible to look at the scenery, so might as well drive at night when there are less idiots and dogs on the roads to become targets. Of course there are more trucks then, but I'd rather sit behind a truck for a few miles than run over a moron that pulls out when I have no hope of avoiding them. In fact, I liked following trucks, as they cleared the way for me, and allowed me to relax for a while.

Completely different driving experience here than at "home". Back there, I regularly drove for up to 7 hours or more day and night, saw very few vehicles in the countryside and usually arrived quite rested after an uneventful and relaxing journey.

Yesterday did a nice trip up and down the mountains. Somehow Thai drivers share my thinking and driving style.

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1
Not only while driving... unfortunately this "feeling of freedom" cannot be found anywhere in the west... IMHO of course
1zgarz5.gifI understand some expats would like more regulations in LOS... certainly not me guitar.gif

The western USA has some great driving opportunities. Speed limits of about 120kph (though in many places, the sky's the limit). Great roads. No scooters. Roadworthy trucks that actually have headlights. And fewer drunk drivers. Plus highways with on/off ramps so you know when another vehicle can enter. Not just at some random point.

As said above, you can actually have fun driving AND watch the scenery. Unlike here where you constantly have to be on your guard. Big difference.

There's a reason Thailand gets bad ratings for highway safety. It's quite dangerous out there.

Most drivers tend to overrate their driving skills. There was a survey in the US years ago that ask drivers to grade themselves, either average, above average, or below average. Over 80% of the respondents graded themselves "above average." Needless to say, this makes no sense. But what is a good driver?

A good friend of mine back in America considered himself an exceptional driver. Why? Because he always obeyed traffic laws. An example of this is his freeway driving (or highway, superhighway, and the like). He would enter the freeway, park himself in the fast lane, and proceed to drive the speed limit. Of course, this would piss off other drivers to no end, but he didn't care. "No one should be driving faster than the speed limit anyhow!" he'd insist. Yes, he considered himself a good driver. But I thought he was a crappy driver.

I'd imagine most of the folks criticizing the Thais are very much like this stubborn friend of mine. They probably consider themselves "above average" drivers. But when it comes to driving intelligence in Thailand, they're probably closer to crappy drivers than even average.

• Like 2

Learned to drive in Canada/Ireland

have driven in - UK, France, Italy, Portugal, Hawaii, Las Vegas, Mexico (cancun, pvr, mazatlan), Dominican Republic, Laos, Thailand, Morocco, Tunisia, Jamaica, Belgium and a few other places.

Best thing I did was get de-programmed from my western brainwashing on how to drive. Makes going for a spin here much more relaxing. Yes everything you have listed applies to driving in Dog-Leg-Shire, South Yorkshire but hey that is what I love about Thailand. I am a good enough driver that I don't need rules!

Try going for a spin in the far north east between Chiang Khan and Nakhon Phanom along the Mekong River Route. Truly one of Thailands amazing drives.

I think this is what concerns many here...

"I am a good enough driver that I don't need rules!"

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 1

People who are overly rule dependent, in a ruleless environment, are putting themselves and others at risk. Forget the rules, they won’t protect you, and drive according to the conditions you encounter. Yes, that may mean you have to turn off the cruise-control and watch the road instead of zoning out, but driving is not a passive endeavor.wink.pngsmile.png

Edited by villagefarang

As always all depends on how you define "good".<br /><br />Unlike a Formula-1 context, I would definitely come down on the side of safety, and completely agree with your friend that he's in the right, no matter how many impatient law-breakers may get angry at him.<br /><br />I have no problem with daredevil idiots risking their own lives, but as soon as you increase the odds that me and my family will die because of your desire for an adrenalin rush, or poor planning of your daily schedule, sorry you've lost your "rights" AFAIC.<br />

The driving bit is fine.

It is the stopping bit that is a problem.

The stopping bit can result in fines, requests for bribes and/or compensation, property damage, death and injury.

So yes...every one can enjoy driving in LOS.

But always be mindful that situations that result in your vehicle or bike stopping, or being stopped, often result in heartache, pain, loss of money....and as is all too often the case nowadays....death.

If you are a skilled driver you can certainly enjoy driving here after you adapt to it. If it still stresses you then you probably never were a natural driver to begin with. Every day presents abject stupidity and suicidal tactics beneath the dignity of the brain dead, adjust or just don't do it and avoid the stress. If I wasn't a good driver/rider I would have been dead long ago, you have to avoid the drunks, idiots and incompetents and still remain relaxed. OK a complete imbecile will still sometimes aggravate me, but that is the daily reality that you need adjust to. Nothing is ever going to change, so decide whether it is for you.

• Like 1

If you are a skilled driver you can certainly enjoy driving here after you adapt to it. If it still stresses you then you probably never were a natural driver to begin with. Every day presents abject stupidity and suicidal tactics beneath the dignity of the brain dead, adjust or just don't do it and avoid the stress. If I wasn't a good driver/rider I would have been dead long ago, you have to avoid the drunks, idiots and incompetents and still remain relaxed. OK a complete imbecile will still sometimes aggravate me, but that is the daily reality that you need adjust to. Nothing is ever going to change, so decide whether it is for you.

Think we all know that. coffee1.gif