Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

There was a tow truck at the northern end this morning. Didn't see any vehicles towed, but its presence was enough to frighten off most vehicles. Drivers coming out of the woodwork from all directions to move their vehicles - even frightened off the tourist buses.

I can see the whole red and white curb zone from my condo. Not a single vehicle parked there now.

Glad to hear that it's working this morning. Last night there was widespread parking along the whole red/white stretch with one restaurant even having placed cones in the area opposite to reserve spaces for its customers! If it is not rigorously enforced at the start the concept of no parking on red/white kerbs will be devalued throughout the city. The worst thing about that is that when the locals flout the law and park on the red areas tourists copy the behaviour without knowing they are doing wrong and become easy targets for the usual selective enforcement by the local constabulary.

I can see the whole red and white curb zone from my condo. Not a single vehicle parked there now.

Didn't last long. Food cart already set-up (sorry for the fuzzy pic, but was taken from a distance and I had to crop down). Otherwise, three clear lanes all the way to the curve. Could be four, if they would open up that inside lane.

post-140881-0-96926800-1374308254_thumb.

post-140881-0-77573400-1374308305_thumb.

Didn't last long. Food cart already set-up (sorry for the fuzzy pic, but was taken from a distance and I had to crop down). Otherwise, three clear lanes all the way to the curve. Could be four, if they would open up that inside lane.

Nice to see the usual pack of tuk-tuks in your second photo w00t.gif

I did I drive-by yesterday afternoon and found, the right lane was parking/loading zone, footpath had vendor tents selling the usual junk, surrounded by ankle deep garbage and of course the umbrella people have commandeered the entire beach and turned it into a slum.

All this mess blocking the seaview.

Dumb.

Really looks seriously bad with the cars now right in the face of anybody who wants to walk down the pathway.

Why would you do that ?

Street is for cars. Pedestrians use pathway.

BTW walking in the external part of a street turn would be suicidal, anywhere in the world.

Perhaps we are having a language challenge. By "pathway" I mean the new walking area that is being constructed. Let's call it a "walking path." The former walking path was wider and had a barrier (about the size of a traffic lane) that was situated between the traffic and the path. When you walked down the path it did not feel like the cars were in your face. Now, with the renovation, the barrier has been removed and any person that walks down the path can almost touch the cars as they pass by. In the past, that barrier had pots with flowers planted in them. In the past, the path has large and beautiful old-growth shade trees. In the past people who wanted to sit in the shade has places to do that. In the past...........

Really looks seriously bad with the cars now right in the face of anybody who wants to walk down the pathway.

Why would you do that ?

Street is for cars. Pedestrians use pathway.

BTW walking in the external part of a street turn would be suicidal, anywhere in the world.

So it's pretty suicidal walking on Thai roads, as either there aren't any footpaths, or if there are, they are obstructed by power poles, hawker stalls, motorbike taxis etc etc and I have to walk in the street with the cars.

Boy, so tired of how they seem to change the city in odd ways. I used to love that stretch of the road for waling. Back in 2005, 2006 the bushes and flowers were nice. Now taking more sidewalk space away, cutting (butchering) the trees etc. They should instead find a way to keep the traffic away and off of that beach road. It should not be a main road. Bite the bullet and move the traffic inland. Make second road two way? Widen or make third road used more? Limit traffic to deliveries only? Make it like Yosemite Valley and minimize car traffic? Oh wait. Any of these things require a plan and dedication and long range committment. I doubt that will happen here.

• Like 1

Perhaps we are having a language challenge. By "pathway" I mean the new walking area that is being constructed. Let's call it a "walking path." The former walking path was wider and had a barrier (about the size of a traffic lane) that was situated between the traffic and the path. When you walked down the path it did not feel like the cars were in your face. Now, with the renovation, the barrier has been removed and any person that walks down the path can almost touch the cars as they pass by. In the past, that barrier had pots with flowers planted in them. In the past, the path has large and beautiful old-growth shade trees. In the past people who wanted to sit in the shade has places to do that. In the past...........

You were perfectly clear to me !!

A pathway is a path way - a walkway !! Where people walk (and, in LOS, motocy drive !!).

And car exhaust will be closer to the walkers on the promenade and the people resting on the 'beach'.

They should make the junction at 2nd road after walking street a no left turn. That way the bottle neck wont be so bad, and if you want to be on 2nd road from beach road you have to use one of the sois before walking street.

One positive observation with the new Beach Rd. promenade is that the walkway is wider and easier to walk on than before which had a more narrow width for pedistrians (and no rain trapped like before). I have noticed also more visitors walking in the evening since the lighting is better due to the hacking away of the shade trees (which I did not agree with). By the way, can the city afford someone to sweep the drifting sand off the new block walkway? It is becoming covered with sand since it is a flat surface.

Edited by toenail

Sand on new walkway has little to do with blowing sand from the beach. After the brick is laid a thin coat of sand is added to the top surface. Then a vibrating machine is moved over and over this top surface. This is to set the brick and settle sand inbetween the brick. After they finish they leave the sand letting mother nature do what she wants, wind and rain will remove.

Area in front of Walking Street must have been packed then.

Today they started cleaning up outside Garden Plaza , so all the hookers sitting outside waiting for customers was forced to leave the area......

lkw4.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

They will migrate back to their breeding grounds in the completed areas.

Since the construction along the Beach Rd promenade is slowly working its way close to Walking Street, there is less and less territory for the commercial ladies to meet their fans. Sort of funny to see them standing almost shoulder to shoulder in what is left of the old promenade down from Royal Garden. Maybe the city officials will get the idea to rent out a 1X1 meter sq area for those ladies who need to stand on the new promenade at night.(folding chairs would be an optional cost) They do it with the vendors for a fast baht, why not the ladies who are a type of vendor.

They should make the junction at 2nd road after walking street a no left turn. That way the bottle neck wont be so bad, and if you want to be on 2nd road from beach road you have to use one of the sois before walking street.

That is the only lane that does not block traffic, glad you are not in charge

• Like 1

Since the construction along the Beach Rd promenade is slowly working its way close to Walking Street, there is less and less territory for the commercial ladies to meet their fans. Sort of funny to see them standing almost shoulder to shoulder in what is left of the old promenade down from Royal Garden. Maybe the city officials will get the idea to rent out a 1X1 meter sq area for those ladies who need to stand on the new promenade at night.(folding chairs would be an optional cost) They do it with the vendors for a fast baht, why not the ladies who are a type of vendor.

they do, they take them down to the station and charge them all 100b, collect the rent while looking like you dont want them there