Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

Last night rain was a bit much, lots of errosion

The old beach sidewalk had low areas for flood drainage and so beach road drained better than it does now. The new sidewalk has no low areas and acts like a dam. So the flood water on the road is now deeper. The regular drains work the same and can handle small amounts of rain.

This errosion on the beach is normal for Patters. The new sidewalk did not help nor hinder this process.

Thanks for the update :) I took a stroll down the almost completed project today and saw a bicycle rider. He had to stop because he could not get past the blockade across from Mike's Shopping Mall. Next to him was an unfortunate girl who was in a wheelchair. She had to stop too for the same reason. There appear to be even more "ladies" on the walkway, sitting on makeshift seats made from stacked bricks. People are searching for shade and collecting in areas where they can find even a small amount of it. And now the beach chair vendors are moving their stuff up on the walkway, blocking pedestrian traffic. The lovely green trash cans and giant electrical fuse boxes are a nice addition and look so much better than the old growth trees that they cut down. The project remains FUBAR.

This errosion on the beach is normal for Patters. The new sidewalk did not help nor hinder this process.

I dont think so, its much more spread out now, from Mikes to Klang most of the beach is rutted. Its probably better overall for the beach but Im pretty sure a lot of umbrellas will be out of action until they get the tractors in to level it

Can this city ever do anything 100% up to high standards? When the construction company(please display the name of the company so we know who is doing this "good" quality project) added the new lane with a side drain it seems to fill up everytime it rains. MMMMM - let me think...if there was flooding before on the 3 lane Beach Rd, wouldn't the "legit" road construction company think of adding a better drainage system to the now 4 lane Beach Rd.? Quite pathetic.

Next, I suppose the city council or police get kick backs from the beach chair vendors when they rent chairs now on the new promendade? Like I have said a couple times, the new prominade needs walking policeman to patrol the area. If the city cannot hire their own nationality to do the work , then maybe they should outsource the walking patrols to a company or army. post-4641-1156694005.gif.pagespeed.ce.gypost-4641-1156694005.gif.pagespeed.ce.gy

Edited by toenail

Hope its OK to ask this:

Are the gals more anxious now to go to your room from having to stand around more? laugh.png

Definately yes-however their energy levels are severly depleted and therefore sleep has become their immediate priority facepalm.gif

• Like 1

"This errosion on the beach is normal for Patters. The new sidewalk did not help nor hinder this process." (threelegcowboy)

wrong ! what is "normal" ? I guess it started with building the new pier.

and:

because there are no more special lower drainage areas, the beach got washed away along the whole length...

just have a look at the pictures !

and the tree: I guess they had cut the roots while building the new promenade ....

When I go to Dubai. I see top quality and an Emirate well designed / planned.

Why ?

Because the Sheiks employ Western Architects, Engineers, Project Managers, etc.using an Indian / Pakistani work-force.

If only the Thais would adopt a similar strategy ......... and the work-force could be Thai / Cambodian. If only.

• Like 1

Why ?

Because the Sheiks employ Western Architects, Engineers, Project Managers, etc.using an Indian / Pakistani work-force.

If only the Thais would adopt a similar strategy ......... and the work-force could be Thai / Cambodian. If only.

Hmmmmmm, could be something to do with Dubai having huge amounts of money available, unlike Pattaya having sod all, due to the usual reasons.

If Pattaya was built to Dubai standards, do you really think many, or any of the people on TV could afford or even want to go to Pattaya?

I am not "attacking" you, I am arguing :Please do not mix that!

When I do an internet search, I find results that say clearly, that many times beach erosion is indeed man-made !

And buildings are one kind of reason!

Buildings in the sea, near the beach ... as bridges,piers (!) dams etc. are many time a reason for beach erosion. Typical, when the erosion happens after building the construction !

Look: f.e.:there is a tree growing for lets say 50 years at the beach. Then, within 3 years it is washed away. what is the reason for this rapid change? Do you get this kind of logic ? This is not done within "million years" ....

An old tree collapsing after the first heavy rain this year ? why? this tree was there for maybe 50 years. they build a new promenade. Now this happened? Why this coincidence? Just by chance ? The probability, that there is no relation is about 1 to 50, probability is 0.02 . Still, it may happened just by chance. I do not know but I have logical reasons for the hypothesis that there is a relation.

This is professional/scientific reasoning. I did learn it! It is universal for any subject.

Edited by dieter1

f.e.

before they sealed most of Pattaya (roads, concrete ...) the rain just drained away into the ground. Now,if there is a heavy rainfall, water from all over Pattaya is moving over the ground, from all the places, building roads in the direction of the beach - and (see the pictures above)takes the sand from the beach while floating into the sea.

kind of man-made !

no?

is there really the need of academic thinking to understand this ?

I am not "attacking" you, I am arguing :Please do not mix that!

When I do an internet search, I find results that say clearly, that many times beach erosion is indeed man-made !

And buildings are one kind of reason!

Buildings in the sea, near the beach ... as bridges,piers (!) dams etc. are many time a reason for beach erosion. Typical, when the erosion happens after building the construction !

Look: f.e.:there is a tree growing for lets say 50 years at the beach. Then, within 3 years it is washed away. what is the reason for this rapid change? Do you get this kind of logic ? This is not done within "million years" ....

An old tree collapsing after the first heavy rain this year ? why? this tree was there for maybe 50 years. they build a new promenade. Now this happened? Why this coincidence? Just by chance ? The probability, that there is no relation is about 1 to 50, probability is 0.02 . Still, it may happened just by chance. I do not know but I have logical reasons for the hypothesis that there is a relation.

This is professional/scientific reasoning. I did learn it! It is universal for any subject.

Sorry, but the sand on Pattaya beach has been washing away after every rain ever since they built the first walkway over 20 years ago. I personally have seen that.

Why ?

Wishing Thailand was more like Dubai?? Now I've heard it all facepalm.gif

f.e. before they sealed most of Pattaya (roads, concrete ...) the rain just drained away into the ground. Now,if there is a heavy rainfall, water from all over Pattaya is moving over the ground, from all the places, building roads in the direction of the beach - and (see the pictures above)takes the sand from the beach while floating into the sea. kind of man-made ! no? is there really the need of academic thinking to understand this ?

thats true, but, it all goes into the sea at the end of the sois, if they spread it out along the beach more evenly it would probably do a lot less damage

by the way, watch out for the lights at the end of soi 12, very little supporting them now and the council not doing anything about it, wouldnt be good being under them if they fall

f.e. before they sealed most of Pattaya (roads, concrete ...) the rain just drained away into the ground. Now,if there is a heavy rainfall, water from all over Pattaya is moving over the ground, from all the places, building roads in the direction of the beach - and (see the pictures above)takes the sand from the beach while floating into the sea. kind of man-made ! no? is there really the need of academic thinking to understand this ?

Nonsense, really, you think they did not install huge storm drains (there's a clue there, storm) when they made these roads, rain falls and eventually lands up in the sea, huge rain falls and still lands up in the sea - just a little more dramatically, it happens every year and i am sure it will continue to happen year after year, it's not rocket science.

As other posters have pointed out, it is cheaper to rectify the damage of a once or twice a year event than to install a drainage system that would cater for these rare events.

Everybody should go have a look at Ayutthaya and count yourselves very luck lucky that Pattaya has to deal with a 1 or 2 hour event, not 1 or 2 months!!

Nonsense, really, you think they did not install huge storm drains (there's a clue there, storm) when they made these roads, rain falls and eventually lands up in the sea, huge rain falls and still lands up in the sea - just a little more dramatically, it happens every year and i am sure it will continue to happen year after year, it's not rocket science.

As other posters have pointed out, it is cheaper to rectify the damage of a once or twice a year event than to install a drainage system that would cater for these rare events.

Everybody should go have a look at Ayutthaya and count yourselves very luck lucky that Pattaya has to deal with a 1 or 2 hour event, not 1 or 2 months!!

I think Mr. Lenny's comment is ...ridiculous. If the city was determined to add a new lane to Beach Road, the "powers at be" (city engineers-such a thing?) should have done some pro-action and required a better drainage system since the perpendicular sois that go down to meet Beach Rd always add more water during a heavy rain. I disagree, the flooding 5-7 times a year DOES do damage and the city does not have a reputation to repair the damage. They will wait until the next Beach Rd. is re-done again in another 7-8 years. There are other cities in the tropics such as KL or Singapore that can handle heavy rains. I think there is no connection to Ayutthaya.

I think Mr. Lenny's comment is ...ridiculous. If the city was determined to add a new lane to Beach Road, the "powers at be" (city engineers-such a thing?) should have done some pro-action and required a better drainage system since the perpendicular sois that go down to meet Beach Rd always add more water during a heavy rain. I disagree, the flooding 5-7 times a year DOES do damage and the city does not have a reputation to repair the damage. They will wait until the next Beach Rd. is re-done again in another 7-8 years. There are other cities in the tropics such as KL or Singapore that can handle heavy rains. I think there is no connection to Ayutthaya.

You think my comment on Ayutthaya has no connection? really? Ayutthaya is in Thailand where people are suffering considerable hardship due to the floods, not a once or twice a year 1 or 2 hour event as is the case in Pattaya, but obviously no connection to KL or Singapore - that comment makes your reply look rather foolish, sorry!

You think my comment on Ayutthaya has no connection? really? Ayutthaya is in Thailand where people are suffering considerable hardship due to the floods, not a once or twice a year 1 or 2 hour event as is the case in Pattaya, but obviously no connection to KL or Singapore - that comment makes your reply look rather foolish, sorry!
I suspect Ayuttaya is on a flood plane, Pattaya is on the coast, theres a perfect place right beside the beach where the water can go without causing any damage but they havent made the connection yet, and probably never will, and I will mention again, theres a 60 foot high lamp post at the end of soi 12 ready to fall on the umbrellas or the footpath and road and no one is doing anything about, because in Thailand no one will be responsible if it kills anyone, its just another photo opportunity with dead bodies
  • Like 1

Both KL and Singapore were run by the British, which is why they had decent drainage ( and pavements ) in the cities.

As Thais like to tell us constantly, they were never colonised, which possibly explains why drains and pavements are of no importance.

Both KL and Singapore were run by the British, which is why they had decent drainage ( and pavements ) in the cities.

As Thais like to tell us constantly, they were never colonised, which possibly explains why drains and pavements are of no importance.

You are not wrong, HOWEVER, neither of these places have anything to do with Thailand

The double stacking of sand bags for the flooding is great for sitting. enjoy

Update: still FUBAR. People sitting on the ground or on sandbags. Thais moving umbrellas up to walkway (they put the post in the holes in the bricks). Gorgeous trash cans and electrical boxes. New security cameras (they never thought about not being able to see underneath the umbrellas). Hot as hell (no more fun to walk or sit or exercise). And now the traffic jam is getting worse. Congratulations on a job not well done!

How absurd to be stacking thousands of sandbags on the newly finished project.

Not only ugly but they quickly disintegrate into millions of plastic strands.

It is scorching hot out there now & and the flattened landscape really exposes the umbrella people slums.

Really looks bad.

On a positive note, there are plenty of loose bricks for the jet ski guys to use in their attacks on tourists.

Edited by UncleJ
  • Like 1

I noticed today that a tree had fallen over near Central and workers were busy repairing the

walkway around it,

Overall I would say the re-landscaping has been a failure . At the very least they need to add seating. It was nice

seeing people play chess and talk on those tables they removed. Now there is no place to do that.

Edited by BugJackBaron