Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

I very much doubt that Pattaya makes most of its revenue from shopping. why would a tourist go shopping in Pattaya when there are much better places like Hong Kong or even Bangkok? seems to me that far more is being invested in condos. and who buys condos? I would guess not people commuting to Bangkok or working in Pattaya, but people that have retired or take holidays in Pattaya. and what does Pattaya have that Bangkok doesnt? a beach, and for a while parks by the beach, not much else. sure something like seating in a park doesnt create income but it adds up to making Pattaya a desirable place to retire or holiday. its not the only tropical seaside resort in the world that people have the option of buying condos in. beach venders and jetski scams may make some people in powerful positions a lot of money but it may be the local Thais and the condo investors that end up paying for it in the long run

I wonder how the money is divided in terms of shopping, bar hopping (and associated shopping smile.png), etc. One thing is certain (at least to most posters here): the beach and associated walkway is a valuable asset that is being ruined by "progress" coupled with "idiocy."

I like the wide walkway and I like the vendors that set up for holidays, but I miss the benches and shade. They must want everyone to rent beach chairs.

I very much doubt that Pattaya makes most of its revenue from shopping. why would a tourist go shopping in Pattaya when there are much better places like Hong Kong or even Bangkok? seems to me that far more is being invested in condos. and who buys condos? I would guess not people commuting to Bangkok or working in Pattaya, but people that have retired or take holidays in Pattaya. and what does Pattaya have that Bangkok doesnt? a beach, and for a while parks by the beach, not much else. sure something like seating in a park doesnt create income but it adds up to making Pattaya a desirable place to retire or holiday. its not the only tropical seaside resort in the world that people have the option of buying condos in. beach venders and jetski scams may make some people in powerful positions a lot of money but it may be the local Thais and the condo investors that end up paying for it in the long run

I wonder how the money is divided in terms of shopping, bar hopping (and associated shopping smile.png), etc. One thing is certain (at least to most posters here): the beach and associated walkway is a valuable asset that is being ruined by "progress" coupled with "idiocy."

I like the wide walkway and I like the vendors that set up for holidays, but I miss the benches and shade. They must want everyone to rent beach chairs.

I'd like to see a protest demo put on by expats bringing their own chairs and beach umbrellas to the walkway.

• Like 1

I'd like to see a protest demo put on by expats bringing their own chairs and beach umbrellas to the walkway.

Incredibly, I saw a farang walking today under his own open umbrella! Obviously a member of Mensa International--I was proud that he chose to spend time in our cesspool.

Get rid of the sand and landscaping and pave it over. 

Looks good.Posted Image[/quote

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile ap

Dont worry the ocean will do that. The beach is disappearing more and more each year. What will the mayor do. "We will look into it"

Incredibly, I saw a farang walking today under his own open umbrella! Obviously a member of Mensa International--I was proud that he chose to spend time in our cesspool.

you know how Hannity starts all interviews with 'Why do you hate freedom'?

I ask you, why do you hate palm trees!

What... both of them? At the same time?

Where would you suggest they pitch up to have most impact?

• Like 1

In my country a national highway was built, it cut through ten cities and hundred of town, mountains were levelled,rivers damed. Ten letters were written to the newspaper about it. In Thailand, nearly 1000 comments on a 2k road development. Weird.

Maybe your country has a lot of nice places and the overall impact was minimal. Here, we really do not have any other place to relax in a "park-like area" except the beach-front area, and the City is busy ruining it. At one time we have lots of old-growth shade trees--the City is busy cutting them all down. The beach is eroding, etc. Many of us are pissed off at the so-called "progress."

In my country a national highway was built, it cut through ten cities and hundred of town, mountains were levelled,rivers damed. Ten letters were written to the newspaper about it. In Thailand, nearly 1000 comments on a 2k road development. Weird.

there is a difference. If they built a highway straight through existing landmark area, say they leveled La Rambla in Barcelona in order to put a highway there, you would piss of many Barcelona residents. Or if trees were cut down in order to add car lane to Champ Elysee boulevard in Paris, you'd get more than 10 angry letters.

Beach rd in Pattaya is our Champ Elysee, as idiotic as it may sound. Beach rd really is our downtown, and almost only area in central Pattaya that isn't already quite ugly. There is nowhere to chill and just wonder around during a day in Pattaya, now Jomtien is only option.

• Like 1

there is a difference. If they built a highway straight through existing landmark area, say they leveled La Rambla in Barcelona in order to put a highway there, you would piss of many Barcelona residents. Or if trees were cut down in order to add car lane to Champ Elysee boulevard in Paris, you'd get more than 10 angry letters.

Beach rd in Pattaya is our Champ Elysee, as idiotic as it may sound. Beach rd really is our downtown, and almost only area in central Pattaya that isn't already quite ugly. There is nowhere to chill and just wonder around during a day in Pattaya, now Jomtien is only option.

Havnt you heard of soi 6? Its got it all.

there is only one long term solution, remove the road and footpath, wont go down well with the car addicts, but, Im pretty sure that in ten or twenty years the sea will have done the job in any case. the beach is disappearing rapidly and in a few years the sea will be undermining the paths non existant foundations. it already is, and its not like they will be maintaining it. fortunately it will be very pleasant and a much nicer beach when the road and path are gone

Havnt you heard of soi 6? Its got it all.

Thanks valgehiir for enlightening me, I have only been here a coupla days. So, did after 100 or so posts , did the govt. stop the beach road widening?

Thanks valgehiir for enlightening me, I have only been here a coupla days. So, did after 100 or so posts , did the govt. stop the beach road widening?

You are welcome!

As for your question, no, this here is expat forum, it is not feedback section of a government web site. We don't petition the Pattaya city planners here. The intention here is to offer opinion and comment, it is not a guide for public policy, and city planning.

Anything else, ask away!

Edited by valgehiir
  • Like 1

there is only one long term solution, remove the road and footpath, wont go down well with the car addicts, but, Im pretty sure that in ten or twenty years the sea will have done the job in any case. the beach is disappearing rapidly and in a few years the sea will be undermining the paths non existant foundations. it already is, and its not like they will be maintaining it. fortunately it will be very pleasant and a much nicer beach when the road and path are gone

So, you want the beach to revert to it's original position before they reclaimed the land that the present road/ walkway sits on?

< its not like they will be maintaining it >

You do realise that there have been several previous versions of the walkway, none of which were maintained, don't you?

The second to last was the best version.

The last pathway was done quite well lots of garden beds. Looked pretty nice at the beginning.

With all the available unskilled labor available, there should have been a full time service crew out there.

The City should maintain the park, the center of town, the coastline, a main tourist attraction in a tourist town...... A novel idea?

Why use brain? We can make money without using it!
Since decades Pattaya's Beach Road get flooded. Everybody seems to know it - with the exeption of Pattaya highly educated Beach Promenade Designers.
They removed the slope designed into the former promenade to prevent the water to reach the beach unhampered.
Pattaya's new design doesn't provide any barrier for the water. The water runs directly into the sea, and with it most of the sand.
Moreover, if the sand disappears, the wall reveals its flimsy and unprofessional construction.
In 2012 the Programme for International Student Assessment (Pisa) revealed that Thai students are not good at thinking.

At Pattaya's new Beach Promenade you can see the result of Thailand's disasterous education system.

http://www.pattayanewsflash.com/2013/november.html#promenade

The City doesn't have a long term plan, including the drainage system?

One would think while the beach area is undergoing major renovations, the plan would be implemented.

Too many private interests involved along with the standard theft of 35% of the project budget.

what I find odd is not so much that the council and beach mafia have no clue, thats pretty obvious and a fact of nature, but that places like the hilton and wave hotel dont show any interest in the state of the beach right in front of them, or it will be right in front of them in 5 years when the beach and path have gone, maybe thats what they are counting on

I noticed yet another problem with the plan--the baht bus drivers pick you up on beach road, turn left at the Walking Street sign, stop on the left, force passengers out and refuse to take them in the direction of Jomtien. . When they stop all of the traffic behind them stops too, creating a temporary traffic jam. No doubt the baht bus mafia thugs in front of the school have told them not to take passengers to Jomtien. Personally, I am sick of the baht bus mafia. The City could take action to change the situation, but they refuse to do it.

I noticed yet another problem with the plan--the baht bus drivers pick you up on beach road, turn left at the Walking Street sign, stop on the left, force passengers out and refuse to take them in the direction of Jomtien. . When they stop all of the traffic behind them stops too, creating a temporary traffic jam. No doubt the baht bus mafia thugs in front of the school have told them not to take passengers to Jomtien. Personally, I am sick of the baht bus mafia. The City could take action to change the situation, but they refuse to do it.

That's how Pattaya ( Thailand? ) works.

Saw a 4 Corners tv doco on ABC last night that exposed corruption in the highest levels of Australian reserve bank- corruption is everywhere, in every country. At least in Pattaya the baht bus route only costs 10 baht, and has done so for many years. Could be worse, could be like Chiang Mai w00t.gif .

Must catch that 4Corners piece - I've often wondered what goes on inside the Reserve Bank. Given that most bankers are greedy bastards, I guess it should come as no surprise that the most powerful bank in the land (politically, if not in terms of 'market share') would have problems with corruption.

Must catch that 4Corners piece - I've often wondered what goes on inside the Reserve Bank. Given that most bankers are greedy bastards, I guess it should come as no surprise that the most powerful bank in the land (politically, if not in terms of 'market share') would have problems with corruption.

Well worth watching. Basically 4 corrupt board members have been let off by the Federal Police and the anti corruption office.

Will be interesting to see if the new government does anything different than the Labour lot now it's been exposed and names named on telly.

I suspect that the city is fully in control of that situation

The baht bus drivers try to get 10 baht per leg. That location is a hub. You want a 10 baht ride to Jomtien from Beach Rd ?

Try going down to Phuket and experience the baht bus rides in that fine city. When you return here you will think Patters baht bus rides are very cost effective and run like a fine watch.

I have some trouble with baht bus rides but after I walk my ass off for awhile I get back on and shut up.

You also baited me off topic !

Edited by threelegcowboy
  • Like 1

The baht bus drivers try to get 10 baht per leg. That location is a hub. You want a 10 baht ride to Jomtien from Beach Rd ?

Try going down to Phuket and experience the baht bus rides in that fine city. When you return here you will think Patters baht bus rides are very cost effective and run like a fine watch.

I have some trouble with baht bus rides but after I walk my ass off for awhile I get back on and shut up.

You also baited me off topic !

No, I do not expect to pay 10 baht from Beach Road to Jomtien and did not say that. Knowing what I know about prices, that trip should cost 20 baht. I do not care what the situation in Phuket is relative to here. I think the flow of traffic is central to this topic. From the beginning I have forseen a problem: widening Beach Rd. will lead to more traffic, which will cause a major traffic jam as your turn left before the Walking Street sign. Now I see another related problem: bhat bus drivers stopping and blocking traffic after turning left at Walking St. and before Second Road. One solution would be to get them to not stop.........in other words, turn right and go all the way to Jomtien (20 baht would be a fair price........but the mafia will probably not allow that to happen).