Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

Please one of you traffic engineers please guess what they are going to do about the bottle neck at Walking Street ?

Tear down the new Bangkok Bank office that even encroaches on the sidewalk ? Or tear down the jewelry store on the opposite corner? Or maybe take down the god awful LED sign above Walking Street ?

Were not even in the real high season yet so let's wait a few weeks before we start crowing about the increased traffic flow

Were not even in the real high season yet so let's wait a few weeks before we start crowing about the increased traffic flow

Right. Even though the increased traffic flow is helping a lot right now to shorten journeys down Beach Rd, we must pretend it really isn't, to avoid shining even the tiniest little light in the gloom to the discomfit of our doomsayers, poor nocturnal creatures all.

tarsier_face.jpeg

It's just totally irrational to expect an extra lane could help traffic in the high season either. It's a matter of simple arithmetic: 2 + 1 = 2; that is, 3 = 2, always has been, always will be.

"Two and two makes four."

"Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five, sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once."

The motto of this channel has got to be "All Gloom, All The Time."

But I'll throw out this free extra little bone you may chew on for a while: traffic on 2nd Rd is presently just as bad as ever! Go for it.

Please one of you traffic engineers please guess what they are going to do about the bottle neck at Walking Street ?

Tear down the new Bangkok Bank office that even encroaches on the sidewalk ? Or tear down the jewelry store on the opposite corner? Or maybe take down the god awful LED sign above Walking Street ?

all they have to do is make the left lane no parking from soi 13/4 onwards and they can just fit 3 lanes all the way, I assumed that was their plan but who knows

I see the footpath washed away again op central, be interesting to see how they rebuild it 3rd time round

They don't care about traffic.

If they did, why did they set up vendor tents on the road during busy weekends creating chaos?

The project stinks.

I totally agree with you. The "project stinks." It is a failure from the start. What amazes me is how a certain person--certainly not you--thinks he is making an intelligent argument but is making an ass of himself. He can't defend the FUBAR project so he resorts to insulting posters. We all know who he is :) At this point I can only laugh at his comments.

What do you care? You the landlord of the Bangkok Bank office or the jewelry store? Oh--studying traffic engineering now, are we?

A more relevant question is "when." Doesn't much matter "what." There'll be something or other to complain about, though not shade and seating (I guess), especially before it's even finished. Might be a few sandbags around to create hysteria.

In any case, that intersection w/ Pattaya Thai been a problem for many years--a different problem. Yet, suddenly you need the solution now?

Truth is, there are bottlenecks these days all over this city, esp on weekends. It's all just not bad enough yet to force an end to the baht bus stranglehold, mainly--though there are other lesser players, such as the motorbike rentals etc..

It's more than bad enough by our standards, but not by theirs, you see. Bangkok is probably the best model: first, you've gotta have total gridlock everywhere all the time. Beach Rd--the whole new lane was probably motivated by the festivals, a relatively recent but excellent earner. They were creating such a big problem (as most of us know) that something just had to be done. Of course, the something also needed to be profitable for all concerned, the usual players, nothing too creative, just more of the same. wink.png

Edited by JSixpack

I totally agree with you. The "project stinks." It is a failure from the start. What amazes me is how a certain person--certainly not you--thinks he is making an intelligent argument..

Who? Not me yo!

You must be thinking of him:

post-93591-0-32802200-1381928119_thumb.j

I totally agree with you. The "project stinks." It is a failure from the start. What amazes me is how a certain person--certainly not you--thinks he is making an intelligent argument..

Who? Not me yo!

xtarsier_face.jpeg.pagespeed.ic.VtGKXA13

"Take that light away!" TV doomsayer discomfited by a bit of positive news

But this fits so many here on the forum, esp in this thread. Just gotta name names, man!

Edited by JSixpack

Who? Not me yo!

No, I was not thinking about you, which you obviously know already. I was thinking about the poster who is unable to use reason to assess a situation (only uses emotion). He sees what he wants to see and nothing else through an enormous paid of rose-colored glasses. In another lifetime, he would have been the guy on the deck of the Titanic telling people not to panic, everything is fine, stop being so negative about the situation, smile and be happy, that ice-berg hitting the side of the ship was an illusion based on negative thinking.

Who? Not me yo!

No, I was not thinking about you, which you obviously know already. I was thinking about the poster who is unable to use reason to assess a situation (only uses emotion). He sees what he wants to see and nothing else through an enormous paid of rose-colored glasses. In another lifetime, he would have been the guy on the deck of the Titanic telling people not to panic, everything is fine, stop being so negative about the situation, smile and be happy, that ice-berg hitting the side of the ship was an illusion based on negative thinking.

People here keep saying wait the project is not finished yet..Do not judge....Well I said on day

one this beach remodel is going to ruin the promenade.Guess what after 7 months its just as bad

as I thought it would be on day one...Its shocking really they did a complete tear out and did

not improve the drainage one iota.....

the solution was to make beach road 100% pedestrian except for deliveries at certain times - second road south direction and 3rd road north direction only or the opposite which ever was more practical - making a proper seafront and getting rid of the vehicles completely

• Like 2

Newest Pattaya attraction waterfalls

Great video and could have been exact time I came by on a songtaw. The walkway was like a dam. Soi 6 and a few other low spots on the walkway allowed the flood waters to drain somewhat.

The walkway was being used by many motobikes. It worked well for them.

They could have put in many storm drains but.....TIT

Are those "waterfalls" flowing directly into the sea...? Amazing... I have only seen this in Korea until now... and the Koreans boast that it's unique, if I remember correctly... Surely tourists will flock to see this new "attraction"...

the solution was to make beach road 100% pedestrian except for deliveries at certain times - second road south direction and 3rd road north direction only or the opposite which ever was more practical - making a proper seafront and getting rid of the vehicles completely

There is no need to have one way traffic on Second Rd. It is as wide as Central Rd which has 2 way traffic.

There is no need to have one way traffic on Second Rd. It is as wide as Central Rd which has 2 way traffic.

It used to be quite a clusterfuck when it was actually 2 way but that was many years ago now, with today's added volume of traffic i dread to think what it would be like if it was 2 way now!!blink.png

• Like 1

It used to be quite a clusterfuc_k when it was actually 2 way but that was many years ago now, with today's added volume of traffic i dread to think what it would be like if it was 2 way now!!blink.png

Please don't confuse our city planner/engineer wannabees with facts.

• Like 2

Are those "waterfalls" flowing directly into the sea...? Amazing... I have only seen this in Korea until now... and the Koreans boast that it's unique, if I remember correctly... Surely tourists will flock to see this new "attraction"...

I love it! There's a certain sense of satisfaction in being able to say "THEY MESSED UP" when it's from gross managerial incompetence.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall at city hall when that subject comes up in a meeting.

But it probably won't...

I love it! There's a certain sense of satisfaction in being able to say "THEY MESSED UP" when it's from gross managerial incompetence.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall at city hall when that subject comes up in a meeting.

Went for a walk with the wife last night from Central up to around Soi 3, she commented on all the apparently homeless people sitting around that strange bare area at the bottom of Pattaya Klang and that most of the wide open walking space looked more like a car park. Must say I tend to agree with her. So dark in places makes it very uncomfortable from a safety point of view as well.

Soon after the previous project was completed 2007? with the undulating & meandering walkway thru gardens and shade he city set up hundreds of tents that destroyed the plantings and crowded the walkway.

Plan B. Then they moved the tents into the road during the busy weekend festivals. That created traffic havoc.

Plan C. Cut the large trees and flatten the area so they can lease it to vendors.

• Like 1

Soon after the previous project was completed 2007? with the undulating & meandering walkway thru gardens and shade he city set up hundreds of tents that destroyed the plantings and crowded the walkway.

Plan B. Then they moved the tents into the road during the busy weekend festivals. That created traffic havoc.

Plan C. Cut the large trees and flatten the area so they can lease it to vendors.

I think you have a point about the festivals and the walkway being groomed for these events. We will see soon enough how this walkway works with a mass of people.

Pattaya City is run for, and by, the resident indigenous population of the city. Its representatives on the City Council are all Thai. Resident falangs are catered for but for the most part do not pay direct taxation and can't vote in elections. Tourists and resident falangs are revenue sources for the Thais and must understand the fact. Pattaya is now a city that derives most of it's revenue from shopping (have you ever been to Central on Beach Road?). The more exotic forms of entertainment are still here and are still thriving, but the Russians and the Chinese and Koreans are not really into that "side" of Pattaya. Pattaya is becoming all things to all people and so huge beachside markets that can sit on the promenade in high season are a logical strategy. They generate revenue, a few old codgers (I include myself as one) people watching or playing chess do not generate the same amounts of revenue.

Edited by champers
  • Like 2

Pattaya City is run for, and by, the resident indigenous population of the city. Its representatives on the City Council are all Thai. Resident falangs are catered for but for the most part do not pay direct taxation and can't vote in elections. Tourists and resident falangs are revenue sources for the Thais and must understand the fact. Pattaya is now a city that derives most of it's revenue from shopping (have you ever been to Central on Beach Road?). The more exotic forms of entertainment are still here and are still thriving, but the Russians and the Chinese and Koreans are not really into that "side" of Pattaya. Pattaya is becoming all things to all people and so huge beachside markets that can sit on the promenade in high season are a logical strategy. They generate revenue, a few old codgers (I include myself as one) people watching or playing chess do not generate the same amounts of revenue.

Well for sure the new promenade was designed for maximum vendor rental..

But the promenade was pretty much the only non comercial place in Pattaya to relax

a bit.... The last time I checked the Russians Chinese and Koreans dont only shop

24/7....They put almost zero thought in making the beach nice for people..

• Like 1

Some cultures have almost no understanding of the critical role that nature plays in the lives of human beings. People who are a product of these cultures see themselves as totally disconnected from nature--something which has no value to them unless somehow altered by human beings for profit. They happily cut down old-growth trees without any thought on how those trees might be valuable in and of themselves. They deliberately dump massive amounts of garbage at sea, allow it to wash up on the beach, then they pick it up, haul it away and dump it into the sea again! They embrace an economic mindset that informs them that "all growth is good", and then they destroy one city after another using that mindset. In terms of the long road of human evolution, they are losing, but they can't see that they are losing and can only call every destructive event "progress." Have a good day Pattaya-Jomtien. smile.png

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

I very much doubt that Pattaya makes most of its revenue from shopping. why would a tourist go shopping in Pattaya when there are much better places like Hong Kong or even Bangkok? seems to me that far more is being invested in condos. and who buys condos? I would guess not people commuting to Bangkok or working in Pattaya, but people that have retired or take holidays in Pattaya. and what does Pattaya have that Bangkok doesnt? a beach, and for a while parks by the beach, not much else. sure something like seating in a park doesnt create income but it adds up to making Pattaya a desirable place to retire or holiday. its not the only tropical seaside resort in the world that people have the option of buying condos in. beach venders and jetski scams may make some people in powerful positions a lot of money but it may be the local Thais and the condo investors that end up paying for it in the long run

Edited by wwex

I very much doubt that Pattaya makes most of its revenue from shopping. why would a tourist go shopping in Pattaya when there are much better places like Hong Kong or even Bangkok? seems to me that far more is being invested in condos. and who buys condos? I would guess not people commuting to Bangkok or working in Pattaya, but people that have retired or take holidays in Pattaya. and what does Pattaya have that Bangkok doesnt? a beach, and for a while parks by the beach, not much else. sure something like seating in a park doesnt create income but it adds up to making Pattaya a desirable place to retire or holiday. its not the only tropical seaside resort in the world that people have the option of buying condos in. beach venders and jetski scams may make some people in powerful positions a lot of money but it may be the local Thais and the condo investors that end up paying for it in the long run

I wonder how the money is divided in terms of shopping, bar hopping (and associated shopping :)), etc. One thing is certain (at least to most posters here): the beach and associated walkway is a valuable asset that is being ruined by "progress" coupled with "idiocy."

May I please call your attentions to generic Prozac? Sold cheap & legal in most pharmacies around town. Just the thing for helping you control all your unhappiness and obsessiveness towards issues over which you haven't the least control, enabling you to live more contented lives, see the positive, and perhaps waste less time on the forum.

Wishing you all the best,

Love,

JSixpack

smile.png

although I understand you said this in jest - may I just add that anyone that gets the impression that meds like this are good for you - be very careful, they have long term serious permanent side effects - information that is now very well known and published around the web, so be very careful if you are reading this thread and think it's a good idea to pop into a pharmacy based on the above post - it is not