Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

I guess that we are "old-geezer doomsayers" who do not have the ability to see reality based on an architectural drawing or predict what something might end up looking like given present reality on the ground sad.png On another note, it is a shame that cities, all over, are being designed for cars and not humans.

I agree with your last sentence. I am afraid though, that is the reality of the 21st Centuary. I think they call it progress.

Yes, "they" call it progress. On another point, the person who refers to everyone who disagrees with him as an "old geezer" or "doomsayer" missed my point. My point was that the depiction of the new promenade may not be correct given that the beach umbrellas are not shown (actually one is there). If part of the picture is not correct (beach umbrellas), it is not a huge leap to conclude that another part is not correct (the benches).

You are confused, geezer and doomsayer was your choice of words.

No, I am not confused, and no, those were not my words (see the many posts by JSixpack).

If part of the picture is not correct (beach umbrellas), it is not a huge leap to conclude that another part is not correct (the benches).

You wish. Yes, it's a leap of faith or rather lack of faith--your lack, contrary to some evidence.

You see, the artist need not waste time drawing every last one of those damn beach umbrellas just so's you won't have that little nit to pick and get attention on the forum. The point is to depict the promenade. And we were discussing exactly that: the promenade and its seating: whether the seats are or are not included as part of the design of the promenade. One poster questioned that they ever were, another posted the artist depiction that shows that they were in fact. All of which goes to show the general dishonesty in argument of our resident doomsayers who just like to stir the pot.

The promenade is by no means complete, so you have no way of knowing right now whether the design will be fully implemented. So it was when the anti-crime lights first went up around the beach. Our doomsayers laughed and sneered that the lights would never work. Now even thaibeachlovers, in this very thread, admitted--unconsciously, to be sure--that they do in fact work.

Be patient. Later, you'll find other real opportunities to point out some inconsistency between the promenade drawing and the final product. Perhaps, oh, a coconut tree will not in the exact spot as depicted and that will merit an utterance of righteous, told-you-so indignation.

• Like 2

I guess that we are "old-geezer doomsayers" who do not have the ability to see reality based on an architectural drawing or predict what something might end up looking like given present reality on the ground sad.png On another note, it is a shame that cities, all over, are being designed for cars and not humans.

I agree with your last sentence. I am afraid though, that is the reality of the 21st Centuary. I think they call it progress.

Yes, "they" call it progress. On another point, the person who refers to everyone who disagrees with him as an "old geezer" or "doomsayer" missed my point. My point was that the depiction of the new promenade may not be correct given that the beach umbrellas are not shown (actually one is there). If part of the picture is not correct (beach umbrellas), it is not a huge leap to conclude that another part is not correct (the benches).

The beach umbrellas are managed by private enterprises. The pictures representeg by City Council can not predict private entrepreneurs actions. Will there be any umbrellas or what colours?

Ok Jsixpack you sound like you got some kind of inside track to what going on on beach road.

Just in case this might be true.

I have 2 major suggestions to make the promenade a enjoyable experience for all people.

Number one and this is of paramount importance..Put in seating LOTs of SEATING..And not in the middle of

the promenade in the sun...Not the crappy western park bench seating...But big bench like what was there before.

Try and position the seating in what little shade is left when ever possible near the beach....

Number two take out some of the generic palm trees and plant some real trees that give shade like in the back row.

Number three is optional but would be nice....Plant a few little flower and plant gardens here and there..

They do not have to be to big or take up to much room,

Number four is optional but would be nice.Put some thing where the dolphin fountain use to be..I just looks

weird with nothing there..

These few basic things that if were done it would improve the promenade 1000%....

Edited by fforest1

For first time since the works started on BR I took a walk last night, around 9.30PM, on the new and 'improved' (?) Promenade between Central Rd and Tipp Plaza.

I second entirely fforest1's post #730 above.

My own comments :

Yes : walking space has been much extended to an advantage- more pleasant not to bump into people all the time

Yes : future fairs' cabanas can be spread out along the Promenade without crowding pedestrian passage like before

Yes : clearer sea view for those sitting on BR cafés, restaurants, bars, ... . or just driving by

No : due to the absence of shade trees this is a nighttime beach Promenade only - too hot daytime

the young 'candle' palm trees will grow up but coconut trees give out coconuts and not much shade

the defunct popular Dolphin piazza (end Central Rd) has again a perimeter low-wall like before where one can sit.

but is completely devoid of shade trees - making it a daytime sun grill

No : I saw seating only on the Grill Piazza perimeter wall, around a small pedestal near Central waiting for something to be installed on

it, and on sand bags bordering the umbrella domain - unintended use !! those bags will eventually be eviscerated and spill their

content on the Promenade

if no seating is later provided then the Promenade will be suitable only for power walkers and those out for a quick Coconuts

pickup laugh.png

I saw a good sampling of (standing !!) resilient Coconut ladies - they've not disappeared !! - certainly much to the chagrin of City Hall !! LOL

There were three idle municipal police (the un-armed sort) on the Promenade with their two motocys but they were obviously not bothering the girls

Edited by jayceenik
  • Like 1

What part of 'the yet to be completed Beach Road works' is so hard to grasp here.

Those that are posting progress pictures and snapshots of the new areas, please carry on. Those that walk on it for 15 minutes in the afternoon and then pass a long-winded whine about what is doesn't do for them, please cease and desist.

+10. Excellent!!!

• Like 1

What part of 'the yet to be completed Beach Road works' is so hard to grasp here.

Those that are posting progress pictures and snapshots of the new areas, please carry on. Those that walk on it for 15 minutes in the afternoon and then pass a long-winded whine about what is doesn't do for them, please cease and desist.

Understood, my good Sir.

Opinions and observations unwelcome on this thread.

Wilco

I saw a good sampling of (standing !!) resilient Coconut ladies - they've not disappeared !! - certainly much to the chagrin of City Hall !! LOL

I may be missing something but it seems to me that beach road goes no where, the only reason I can think that its jammed full of cars at night is because people want to have a peek at the coconut ladies, or maybe car people just like to be among cars, whatever it is the fumes hurt my eyes these days and its sort of strange walking past the same cars all the time because they are going at the same speed as I walk, and this is low season. i dont understand why people sit in the middle of the fumes in a baht bus when it would be quicker for them to get out and walk and I cant see the road being able to remain open to public veihcles for much longer simply because the way Pattaya is growing the traffic wont be able to move on it much longer

"Captain, an ice-berg has hit the ship and from the look of things it appears to be sinking, but take heart, all of it has not yet sunk beneath the waves. We should not raise the alarm until 95% of it is under the water." whistling.gif Personally, and contrary to what you might think, I like "optimism," but it needs to be coupled with "realism." On a positive note, one poster suggested that some of the newly planted palm trees be uprooted and replaced with shade trees. I second that and hope they can plant a nice-looking species that grows quickly. The lack of shade is a major mistake that needs to be corrected. Even if they erect benches--and they might do that--without shade nobody will want to sit on them, except early in the morning and at night (maybe at sunset too).

• Like 1

The lack of shade is a major mistake that needs to be corrected. Even if they erect benches--and they might do that--without shade nobody will want to sit on them, except early in the morning and at night (maybe at sunset too).

But you see, despite your prophecies of doom, there may in fact be enough shade after it's finished.

Even if there's not, people will still sit on them, or walk on the promenade, just as they always have at the French Riviera, Daytona Beach, or Ft. Lauderdale, FLA. Note this crappy promenade w/ no big trees, obviously the product of corruption, bribes, and kickbacks:

02-20-09-ft-lauderdale-030.jpg

Ft. Lauderdale

So palm trees can provide shade but not in every last spot. (You can nitpick on that, I guess.) Not even any plastic beach umbrellas here as there are on the Riviera.

Wait and see whether the promenade does in fact get good use during the day. You'll find that it will. Sorry--I know that'll be a big disappointment.

You did the beach umbrellas. Are you sated with whining about the palm trees now? If you're so worried about it, be sure to bring your own umbrella.

Understood, my good Sir.

Opinions and observations unwelcome on this thread.

Wilco

No, no my good friend. Observations and opinions are very welcome.

It is the absurd extrapolations and daft theorems that diverge from them that are tedious like the frequent commentary that there's "no planning" or that there's no seating (yet) and all we are ever going to get is spindly baby palm trees and no shade. There was almost a whole page wasted on comments that the jaggy concrete edges around the new tree planters were an "accident in progress" for the perambulator amongst us where in reality, they HAVEN'T FINISHED the bloody paving yet. As for the "I went for a walk yesterday lunchtime and it is way too hot" offerings. I mean where is it NOT hot in August in Pattaya?

Consider that the job is OFFICIALLY scheduled over 12 months then the assumption seems to be that since they have almost reached the WS entrance in less than 5 months, it must mean they are way ahead of schedule and what you see now is all you are going to get. Patience is a virtue. Don't base ALL your judgement on the stupendously bungled Pratumnak / Thappraya 'improvements'. That was a bloody disgrace.... still is.

• Like 1

Reality: cutting down the old-growth trees was a mistake

Reality: they are planting palm trees, which provide almost no shade (nothing informs me that they will dig up the palm trees and plant shade trees)

Reality: there are no places to sit (they may put some benches down in the future, but if they are in the sun nobody will sit there except early in the morning or late in the evening)

Reality: the entire area is hotter now because the old-growth trees are gone

Reality: there was no need to construct another traffic lane (the lane they needed was already there)

Reality: the traffic is closer to the pathway now

Reality: it is more difficult and dangerous to cross the street

Reality: unless some solution is found, a massive traffic jam will occur right before the Walking Street sign (from Beach Road turning left)

They may, in fact, redo the entire thing before it is finished smile.png

Don't you just hope so? You can do it all again!

My gut feeling is that the first time that Beach road is seriously under water from flash floods, all the tiles will start to lift and within months the whole walkway will be a chaotic mess and dangerous to walk on.

This will result in the whole project being re-done again next year.

If I was a cynic... heaven forbid... I might even suggest that the paths are being deliberately laid badly just so that they can be relaid again next year and generate more income for the contractors and more tea money for City Hall planners.

But that's much too fanciful......

• Like 2

Reality is... IT IS NOT FINISHED YET.

Would you move into your half finished condo or check-in to a half finished hotel?

No. So stop looking for a bloody shady spot on the Beach Road building site either.

In the meantime i wish they would plant a "shade tree" to keep the tree huggers quiet. tongue.png

Given your comment, I have to assume that you think It was a good idea to remove the old-growth shade trees, right? The idea of sitting in the shade is stupid, right? Trees have little or no value, right? People need to be taught the value of trees at an early age so that they do not grow up ignorant of their value. It is unfortunate that so many people are completely disconnected from the life systems of the planet.

Reality is... IT IS NOT FINISHED YET.

Would you move into your half finished condo or check-in to a half finished hotel?

No. So stop looking for a bloody shady spot on the Beach Road building site either.

In the meantime i wish they would plant a "shade tree" to keep the tree huggers quiet. tongue.png

For God sake man try taking a long walk on the Promenade in the afternoon on a sunny

day some time.Its a bloody oven...About the only people its good for are the sun baked

leather skinned expats...The beach road riff-raff hog what little shade there is....

• Like 1

Given your comment, I have to assume that you think It was a good idea to remove the old-growth shade trees, right? The idea of sitting in the shade is stupid, right? Trees have little or no value, right? People need to be taught the value of trees at an early age so that they do not grow up ignorant of their value. It is unfortunate that so many people are completely disconnected from the life systems of the planet.

If you are through preaching, you may ask why your precious shade trees were replaced with attractive palms. One answer is security, for the CCTV cameras to do their job effectively, they require good lighting and unobstructed views. Security will always trump any argument you try to make about shade trees, and rightfully so.

I have no opinion either way - i just wish the continual whining from the tree hugger brigade would stop, it's getting rather tedious especially since nobody with the power to do anything about it cares a jot.

You missed some posts. It is not yet finished. Who knows what will transpire in the future. When I put my rose-colored glasses on, I see a magnificent park for the rich and famous--a place to relax in the shade by a beautiful, blue ocean and clean beach. Not one thing is wrong with the project--it is a wonderful development that will bring in loads of "quality" tourists. Yeah, that's the ticket! If you are wearing the same type of glasses I am wearing right now, please contact me about real estate sales in Pattaya-Jomtien, along with some beachfront property that I have for sale in Arizona.

LennyW keeps saying treehuggers are whining. Do you like that they took down fully grown trees? I wonder if people who defend this disaster of new Beach Rd ever get out of cars and walk there.

It is so strange to ruin the only place in town where people can walk. Beach road is the only nice place to walk here, it's not like we could move one street up and walk there, there is no other place like in Pataya.

Pattaya isnt car friendly, but it is even worse for people who like to walk. So even if the new car lane will ease traffic, that is not good enough reason to wreck the boulevard. Pattaya is not LA, it is not supposed to be city of highways, where cars have priority. Good city planning should be about more walk ways, cars should be parked at city limits and people should walk, or take baht bus, public transport.

If cars take priority in beach town, then why not ease the traffic even further, put the pavement on the sand and do away with beach. I mean we could fit maybe 7 lanes there.

To all drivers, why not move to town and have less need for car? If you dont do that, and live outside Pattaya and need to drive everywhere you go, at least please dont cheer when our only boulevard is wrecked.

If you are through preaching, you may ask why your precious shade trees were replaced with attractive palms. One answer is security, for the CCTV cameras to do their job effectively, they require good lighting and unobstructed views. Security will always trump any argument you try to make about shade trees, and rightfully so.

Fan of the NSA?

• Like 1

If they had put the lighting and CCTV cameras below the tree canopy ( still high enough to prevent vandals )

everyone could be happy.

Then they could drastically reduce power consumtion by turning off those gazziloin watt football stadium spotlights

saving a small fortune that could be used for maintanance instead.

The trees are very important, not only do they provide shade they also convert carbon dioxide into oxygen and help prevent erosion.

look at the earlier photo of the concrete filled sand bags on the beach they are the only thing hold the last remnants of sand there.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/629334-widening-of-beach-rd-started-at-north-end/?p=6738427

Edited by johng

LennyW keeps saying treehuggers are whining. Do you like that they took down fully grown trees? I wonder if people who defend this disaster of new Beach Rd ever get out of cars and walk there.

It is so strange to ruin the only place in town where people can walk. Beach road is the only nice place to walk here, it's not like we could move one street up and walk there, there is no other place like in Pataya.

Pattaya isnt car friendly, but it is even worse for people who like to walk. So even if the new car lane will ease traffic, that is not good enough reason to wreck the boulevard. Pattaya is not LA, it is not supposed to be city of highways, where cars have priority. Good city planning should be about more walk ways, cars should be parked at city limits and people should walk, or take baht bus, public transport.

If cars take priority in beach town, then why not ease the traffic even further, put the pavement on the sand and do away with beach. I mean we could fit maybe 7 lanes there.

To all drivers, why not move to town and have less need for car? If you dont do that, and live outside Pattaya and need to drive everywhere you go, at least please dont cheer when our only boulevard is wrecked.

I was not defending anything - just stating the facts

Do you not understand this....."I have no opinion either way - i just wish the continual whining from the tree hugger brigade would stop, it's getting rather tedious especially since nobody with the power to do anything about it cares a jot."

You can go on and on and on about it, nothing will change - buy a big hat, adapt and survive!!

• Like 1