Phuket Opinion: Expats In Need - Who You Gonna Call?

Lite Beer

Phuket Opinion: Expats in need - who you gonna call?
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_Bruce_Stanley_a_warden_with_t

Bruce Stanley, a warden with the US Embassy, advises Phuket expats to have a back-up plan in case it becomes necessary to leave.
Bruce Stanley is an American who has been helping foreigners in Phuket for over 20 years. For the past 10 years he has been a warden with the American Embassy, fulfilling a similar function. Here, he talks about resources available to expats in need of assistance.

PHUKET: For most foreigners who live on Phuket or those who choose a visit to this holiday island, it’s a taste of paradise where almost all of earth’s pleasures can be found and enjoyed. But for others who have come to join the happy-go-lucky chaos for which Phuket is now internationally famous, it is the end of the road. Like an elephant graveyard, the place where life ends, either by chance or by choice.

I recall one Sunday morning, back in the 1990s, answering a knock at the door where a fellow stood wearing nothing more than a towel.

“The police told me you could help me,” he began. He then recounted the familiar story of the bar hostess that had come back to his room. By morning, she was gone and so were all his possessions, including his passport, wallet, clothes and even his shoes. I was able to get him on a bus to his embassy in Bangkok.

There are now far more international visitors to Phuket and the expat population has grown immensely. This has meant the problems have increased in complexity.

The response in part has been to create Honorary Consuls who provide consular services and often help their citizens when they have a problem.

Those who find themselves in distress should first contact their local honorary consul and see what is recommended. There are solutions to most problems. The American Embassy has an exemplary service through their American Citizen Services (ACS) section.

It sometimes happens that an American citizen loses his livelihood while in Thailand and needs to be repatriated back to the States. ACS will contact family members and arrange to have funds sent to cover immediate costs.

Often there is a road accident or injuries from a confrontation. Many foreigners have no medical insurance which usually means they will be admitted to the government hospital in Phuket Town where they will be placed in a ward with a lot of other people.

No one should visit a foreign country without medical insurance. A brief tour through the head trauma unit at this hospital is a very graphic lesson.

The number of incidents of foreigners needing consular services is growing. Recently we dealt with an elderly fellow who arrived in Phuket and then couldn’t recall how he got here or where he was staying.

Another fellow is reported to have been kidnapped by ladyboys. And then there are the destitute who cannot afford the rising costs of life on Phuket. The exchange rate of many currencies has fallen against the dynamic Thai baht, leaving these seniors who depend solely on their pensions in a sore place.

When I moved to Phuket over 20 years ago, there were a lot of retiring men also arriving to live the good life. Now many are near 80 with declining health in a place where medical care is expensive.

I always tell people to have a back-up plan in case it becomes necessary to leave.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Opinion-Expats-in-need-who-you-gonna-call-20639.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-03-31

What kind of back-up to leave? If I took my case for instance and I had to leave where would I go. I left the UK after the war and I don't know a sole person there and all my relatives are dead. Fortunately I am reasonably well off. But I think that with all the retirees here and more and more arriving there will be a time when many of then can not longer put up the 800k due to all sorts of reasons. Many might be bed ridden or in a wheelchair . What is their future?

Slight correction in the wording.

For this: "The police told me you could help me,” he began. He then recounted the familiar story of the bar hostess that had come back to his room."

Read this: "The police told me you could help me,” he began. He then recounted the familiar story of the prostitute that had come back to his room."

Sorry for any offence. Not.

For this: "The police told me you could help me,” he began. He then recounted the familiar story of the bar hostess that had come back to his room."

Read this: "The police told me you could help me,” he began. He then recounted the familiar story of the prostitute that had come back to his room."

Pedantry is alive and well - but why would you want to make such an churlish statement?

• Like 2

Pedantry is alive and well - but why would you want to make such an churlish statement?

Sick and tired of euphemisms - "ladies of the night", "bar hostess", etc. I call a spade a spade.

• Like 1

If you are sick in Thailand and have a residency book (yellow tabeen baan) you get treated in hospital for free. Sure you are in line with the Thai people, but still free treatment is possible, so where does the story with expensive treatment come from?? Also if you take a prostitute to your room and she disappears with your belongings..... som an na I say

"Who you gonna call"? Preferably someone with a better knowledge of English!

I realise this is a Yank speaking - but for God's sake can't you learn English?

Wow someone must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed today! I for one appreciate the fact thet the guy is just trying to help people.

The fact that his language syntax is different from mine {as an Aussie} really isn't a 'blip' on my radar.

• Like 1

This is common sense coming from this warden. Always have a plan B and even a plan C.Think it all over. What would I do if I am hospitalised? Who would be the first person I would turn to?What if I lost my passport? What if I lost my bank cards? Learn from hypothetical situations. Even write them down. In my address book I have written myself instructions as to what to do if these situations come about...what if there was a civil war in Thailand?

Very often when the above situations occur you are in a confused state of shock, especially if you are elderly.So to simply read what you have written will help a lot.Officialdom can be very slow in these situations and you have to fight your own way out of the mess yourself.

One saying that has got me through situations like this is "TREAT EVERY PROBLEM AS A CHALLENGE"

• Like 2

can i imagine that medical care in thailand is more expensive than the US ?

where a bottle of aspirines in the hospital can be billed 100$

and the country of the free, where you have a heart attack and no health insurance, you can go sell your house to pay the doctor ?

And do not forget the USA, even if you have health insurance, has one of the worst health care systems in the western world. I was there not long ago and my 80 year old mother who has insurance waited in pain for 6 hrs with a dislocated shoulder to see a doctor in the emergency room of a large hospital in a southern town with more than 100,000 people in that city. Also sometimes it takes her weeks to get a doctors appointment. I relearned what I already knew. The medical service in the US, even if you have health insurance is of such a low level you are much better off in Thailand even if you have health insurance in the USA. The USA could learn quite a few things from the Thai hospital system as could the US banking system learn quite a few things from Thai banks.

This is common sense coming from this warden. Always have a plan B and even a plan C.Think it all over. What would I do if I am hospitalised? Who would be the first person I would turn to?What if I lost my passport? What if I lost my bank cards? Learn from hypothetical situations. Even write them down. In my address book I have written myself instructions as to what to do if these situations come about...what if there was a civil war in Thailand?

Very often when the above situations occur you are in a confused state of shock, especially if you are elderly.So to simply read what you have written will help a lot.Officialdom can be very slow in these situations and you have to fight your own way out of the mess yourself.

One saying that has got me through situations like this is "TREAT EVERY PROBLEM AS A CHALLENGE"

Excellent advice. Write it down when you are thinking clearly and not panicked and over-emotional. Also think plan for everything - including civil war which isn't as far fetched as it may sound.

• Like 1

and your point is........?

"Who you gonna call"? Preferably someone with a better knowledge of English!

I realise this is a Yank speaking - but for God's sake can't you learn English?

I'm just guessing, you're a POM or should I say Limey, that's never watched the movie Ghost Busters.... Transam obviously has and he's a POM as well!

Edited by Jimi007

Excellent advice. Write it down when you are thinking clearly and not panicked and over-emotional. Also think plan for everything - including civil war which isn't as far fetched as it may sound.

Unfortunately, there is no real contingency plan for "you scratch my jet-ski, you pay 50,000 baht" when in fact, you didn't scratch the jet-ski.

Maybe it's time someone refuse to pay this scam, thus going to gaol and turning it into a semi-diplomatic incident, given national press coverage in the victim's home country.

Unfortunately, there is no real contingency plan for "you scratch my jet-ski, you pay 50,000 baht" when in fact, you didn't scratch the jet-ski.

Maybe it's time someone refuse to pay this scam, thus going to gaol and turning it into a semi-diplomatic incident, given national press coverage in the victim's home country.

Why don't you volunteer!

Why don't you volunteer!

I'd say it would be a backpacker one day who actually doesn't have the money, but I was thinking along the lines of someone from an Embassy, or an investigative journalist. A little like those German guys that done the documentary on the sewage that gets pumped into Kata, or Karon Beach.

An incident that ends up a little like the Australian women and the barmat. Just thow a big spotlight on this scam that has been allowed to operate here for years.

Edited by NamKangMan

There was plenty of adverse publicity in the Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand series but that didn't make the problem go away.

I'd say it would be a backpacker one day who actually doesn't have the money, but I was thinking along the lines of someone from an Embassy, or an investigative journalist. A little like those German guys that done the documentary on the sewage that gets pumped into Kata, or Karon Beach.

An incident that ends up a little like the Australian women and the barmat. Just thow a big spotlight on this scam that has been allowed to operate here for years.

Investigative journalism is not really welcome here.

http://www.frontlinedefenders.org/node/21806

Thailand: Criminal lawsuit lodged against human rights defender Mr Andy Hall

On 22 February 2013, human rights defender Mr Andy Hall was informed that a criminal lawsuit had been lodged against him, at Nakhon Prathom court on 14 February 2013. The case is based on a complaint filed by the Thai fruit processor Natural Fruit Company Limited in Pranburi Prachuapkirikhan Province.

Andy Hall is a prominent migrant and labour rights defender based in Thailand and Burma.

If convicted, Andy Hall faces a fine of 300 million Baht (approx €7.7 million).

In additional to the lawsuit above, a lawsuit was lodged against Andy Hall on the criminal charge of broadcasting false statements based on a complaint filed by the Natural Fruit Company. If found guilty under these charges, the human rights defender could be imprisoned for a maximum of 2 years, with an additional fine of 200,000 Baht (approx €5,100).

This was top news in Finland. The good news is that these kind of lawsuits are not taken lightly by Europeans.