Thailand To Change From Left To Right Hand Driving

Lite Beer

I dont care if it is a joke....This kind of switching is not possible. It is a death penalty for most drivers. The accident rate is already so high and the learning of how to drive on the right have to start from the beginning again for all drivers... pedestrians crossing the roads are also at high risk because they will be looking at the wrong direction.

Edited by gentman

I also read in the press a few days ago that Yingluck is considering a total ban on driving over the Songkran holiday to reduce accidents.

I think that they should do like Belgium and have the cars switch from the left to the right and followed by the trucks one week later!

There is only one word for this... 'carnage'. I can understand that you would do this to ensure ease of trade etc etc... but to do it within a couple of months is lunacy, especially in this place. But what would you expect from these muppets.

Maybe they could introduce it in stages accross the counrty, a little bit how Songkran "sweeps" accross Thailand over 2 weeks. Then they could put the best team on the job and make sure it runs smoothly.

Then I am sure Thailand could be the hub of transport efficiency......

Best team on the job with you as leader!!!!

post-79999-0-67052800-1364791732_thumb.j

The department confirmed that many accidents with tourists happen because they go out and drink too much.

Classic Thai logic: the problem with tourists and road safety in Phuket is the nasty, drunken foreigner. It's sometimes mind-boggling how disconnected from reality some folks can become. In Thailand, they've turned being disconnected into a high art form, yet the Thais haven't quite mastered the skills North Korea puts on display everyday.

disconnected from reality indeed. often missing the point entirely

Ireland abandoned a similar scheme after secret trials went badly wrong.

I suggest all those chaps who think its such a good idea give it a go for a while... driving on the right's not all it's cracked up to be

I googled around and cannot find this confirmed in other media?

Wonder what this will do to the resale value of current used vehicles, plus current new vehicle sales will likely be discounted soon or people will just wait to buy the 2014 models with LH steering.

Also wonder what the conversation costs will average???