Sonkran (Sense Of Humour A Must)

homeownership

Sonkran is basically where the thai chuck freezing cold water at each other. One of my particular pet hates is when I am riding my death trap of a moped down roads in Chiang Mai, when out of the blue I am soaked to the skin with mosquito infested freezing cold water.

Water festival? There lucky, they dont let me have firearms mounted on the front of the moped.

However this year, I am not going to get upset, I have devised a secret devise which I have almost completed building. It comprises of a battery operated pump (all water sealed to prevent suicide), whereby I can can turn my moped in to a water canon, blasting water through pressure outlets on my moped.

Still at the design stage, I am intend to deliver a icechilled blast of cold water to anyone stupid another to throw a bucket of water at a moped travelling at 20+kph and I fully intend this year to have a sense of humour.

Sonkran after is about a cracking a smile on a concreate face.

What plans if any have you to protect yourself or do you already have a capiltualation plan in mind.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are videos of large crowds of Thais going crazy throwing water back in the 1950s. Don't blame foreigners.

1e4f12be8764b1d20c0033b6856e751e.jpg

"Sonkran is basically where the Thai chuck freezing cold water at each other" That's what it has turned into and foreigners have promulgated it into the water chucking melee that it is !

Look at your picture! Children, not grown supposedly mature adults! Also the pictures of the vehicles in the picture certainly aren't from the 1950's so your picture isn't from the 1950's. I lived in Samui from 1997 to 2004 and the water bashing at Songkran was and is a totally tourist promulgated melee. Where I live now there is no water throwing except among the children and occasionally drunk younger Thais.

• Like 2

Yes like all things I guess it grows & evolves

into more of a party. Given they have super soaker's now

& such smile.png

The last 3 or 4 Songkrans we spent in my wife's family village.

Very mellow old style with the silver bowls being the supply

& a small cup used to dip into it & poured directly on top of your head/shoulders

or hands..

More like a blessing

They do have festivities at a nearby river which are fun to watch.

Like two of them inching towards each other on a pole over the river with boxing gloves.

Then they try to knock each other off.

Or paddle boat races etc.

This year will be our first time staying here in Chiangmai during Songkran.

Probably spend a lot of time inside & go out early or later in the day.

Maybe take one scooter ride past the fun but probably not the moat area

I don't mind getting soaked with govt water but, that moat water is sketchy at best smile.png

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Sorry but I am not going to search for hours on end to find the video, but it has been posted on Thai Visa before and it is full of Thai adults pelting each other with water back in the 1950s - no Westerners - no tourists.

My guess is that this photo is even older.

m149668.jpg

That's one up for Ulysses

There are videos of large crowds of Thais going crazy throwing water back in the 1950s. Don't blame foreigners.

"Sonkran is basically where the Thai chuck freezing cold water at each other" That's what it has turned into and foreigners have promulgated it into the water chucking melee that it is !

that pic is not from the 1950s....look the car, the plastic and the bicycle

"Sonkran is basically where the Thai chuck freezing cold water at each other" That's what it has turned into and foreigners have promulgated it into the water chucking melee that it is ! BUt, Songkran was traditionally a time to visit and pay respects to elders, including family members, friends, neighbors, and monks. The songkran festival is counted as a new life. Where I live there is very little "water chucking". The children will shoot you with a water pistol but only if you let them. The elders are honored in the village when the monks come and they sit and are gently cleansed by others with water, no freezing cold ice water.

That is more or less what happens in the local village and the eamily come up from BKK to be with their Mum who lives with us. We all including me get properly "wai'd and the silver bowls of water and flowers are used.

I am always the last elder to be done and they have to do something with the left over water and I get it all.

It is however done in the "Best possible taste" . But sometimes they sneak ice in before my turn.

I'm sure the OP would be happy if a bunch of Thais moved to his home country and belittled the public holidays that his countrymen hold dear.

oh dear rolleyes.gif

lets be straight about this...... in my country if someone had an opinion and was from overseas I would be happy to hear it as I don't have this loss of face thing going on in my tiny mind....

as for tourists and songkran....yes the majority of them are morons and feel they are safe to go after people who want no part of it, get kicks out of soaking people with mobile phones or gadgets that they haven't covered up and laugh at people falling off their bikes as they've had a face full and lost control....but theres plenty of Thai people doing it as well!

In my country a bunch of Thais have moved in, they have opinions and think things are silly, no problem here with it....

Now now U.G........don't go upsetting the membership with historical facts now will you. It gets them all upset. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

"Sonkran is basically where the Thai chuck freezing cold water at each other" That's what it has turned into and foreigners have promulgated it into the water chucking melee that it is ! BUt, Songkran was traditionally a time to visit and pay respects to elders, including family members, friends, neighbors, and monks. The songkran festival is counted as a new life. Where I live there is very little "water chucking". The children will shoot you with a water pistol but only if you let them. The elders are honored in the village when the monks come and they sit and are gently cleansed by others with water, no freezing cold ice water.

So you don't have 'Sonkran'[sic] in your village then?

The most annoying part about Songkran is not all the cherubic little Thai kids turning into litte devils as they squirt on of those guns straight down your ear canal with a big toothy,or toothless grin.
It's when you've avoided getting soaked all day just for some big,fat Swedish bird in her 50s to get you at a traffic light on your scooter with a dopey grin,you just feel like punching them!

My first Songran, about 13 years ago.

Went into Pat Pong area, Silom, and was already then soaked by people on pick ups.

Little did I know this would happen.

My mobile phone got destroyed.

Oh yeah, sense of humor was a must to laugh of that.

Went into Pat Pong area, Silom, and was already then soaked by people on pick ups.

13 yrs ago you would have been carrying around one of those brickssmile.png

Kidding?

Young man, do a search.

post-4485-0-35294200-1364985607_thumb.jp

Edited by Travel2003

Kidding?

Young man, do a search.

attachicon.gifth.jpg

14-15 years ago they would have been bricks.

Why can't people just let thais enjoy themselves in thier own country (home) instead of gatecrashing and getting in a huff about the way they live thier lives. When in Rome....

I think you misunderstand it.

There are no foreign conspiracy to stop Songkran.

Nor is it any foreign rouge anti songran groups running around trying to stop it.

Someone mention Songkran, and people react, in writing.

wink.png

Getting your telephone, wallet with ID cards + money and camera soaked isn't my idea of fun. I shall buy a week's supply of beer (maybe food also) and batten down the hatches.

I will leave all that stuff at home and dress in swimming trunks and a T shirt.

Getting your telephone, wallet with ID cards + money and camera soaked isn't my idea of fun. I shall buy a week's supply of beer (maybe food also) and batten down the hatches.

I will leave all that stuff at home and dress in swimming trunks and a T shirt.

Yep, or at least leave expensive stuff home.

Many of us, including me, have experienced an expensive lessons learned.

My first Songkran 1998, was a sunday morning, I was on a bike heading to church from soi morlene in bkk,the bike slowed at a spot where there were a little crowd of obviously happy people. I was soaked to my shoes. I directed the bike back to my apartment to have a change of clothes. I was reliable informed that it was waste of time, So I went to church wet.

My first Songkran 1998, was a sunday morning, I was on a bike heading to church from soi morlene in bkk,the bike slowed at a spot where there were a little crowd of obviously happy people. I was soaked to my shoes. I directed the bike back to my apartment to have a change of clothes. I was reliable informed that it was waste of time, So I went to church wet.

So the bike didn't return with your change of clothes then? smile.png

So the bike didn't return with your change of clothes then? smile.png

wink.png