Tourist Safety Zones - Phuket

chooka

I saw this story on the Australian news last night. Apparently the Phuket Police Chief is requesting an additional 5,000 police and designated safety zones have been established to protect tourists.

We were thinking of going down for a few days and do any of the locals no anything about these zones? Are they like swim between the flags type things and if you stray outside then you are not protected?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-01/phuket-safety-zones-introduced-to-protect-tourists/4603562?section=australianetworknews

You guys living there would know. Just had a mate email me also, he saw the story on the news and has booked a holiday there in June. He was a little concerned as the chief is asking for 5,000 more coppers and the safety zones and he says it sounds like an extremely dangerous place and was considering changing his destination. He asked me my personal opinion but I can't answer positively as I have never been there.

Unfortunately, the term 'Safety Zone' seems to have been adopted without any form of mitigation as to what extra protection is going to be offered in these areas (i.e. additional visible or covert policing and fast response units, more CCTV's, harsher penalties for crimes committed within the areas etc).

You guys living there would know. Just had a mate email me also, he saw the story on the news and has booked a holiday there in June. He was a little concerned as the chief is asking for 5,000 more coppers and the safety zones and he says it sounds like an extremely dangerous place and was considering changing his destination. He asked me my personal opinion but I can't answer positively as I have never been there.

Get him to read the URL you provided. Given the stats based upon the large volume of Australian visitors to Phuket, the likelihood of any issues for him or you would be minimal.

On average about 50 Australians die on the island each year - about half from natural causes, the rest from misadventure, including motorbike accidents and drug overdoses.

"There is assault, but the behaviour of some of the Aussies on holiday here, they stir it up themselves. There [are] only so many yobbos you can see walking up the street with a beer in each hand and no shirt bumping into the locals before something does happen"

Edited by simple1

Unfortunately, the term 'Safety Zone' seems to have been adopted without any form of mitigation as to what extra protection is going to be offered in these areas (i.e. additional visible or covert policing and fast response units, more CCTV's, harsher penalties for crimes committed within the areas etc).

The report said armed security gaurds and 5,000 extra coppers.

The report said armed security gaurds and 5,000 extra coppers.

The Safety Zones already exist and have done for quite some time. The 5000 extra police don't, and nor are they likely to. Can you imagine arming security guards (who are already the source of many violent confrontations in Patong)?

Yes, it's very safe except for....

crowded markets, tourist sites and bus or train stations, and festivals. It is also best to avoid isolated neighborhoods, shortcuts, narrow alleys and poorly-lit streets, especially late at night.

In other words anywhere crowded or deserted, or badly lit at night. ph34r.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/606087-british-ambassador-joins-fight-against-tourist-scams/?p=5944739

Get him to read the URL you provided. Given the stats based upon the large volume of Australian visitors to Phuket, the likelihood of any issues for him or you would be minimal.

On average about 50 Australians die on the island each year - about half from natural causes, the rest from misadventure, including motorbike accidents and drug overdoses.

"There is assault, but the behaviour of some of the Aussies on holiday here, they stir it up themselves. There [are] only so many yobbos you can see walking up the street with a beer in each hand and no shirt bumping into the locals before something does happen"

Actually he did and his concerns were that they have to set up safety zones and employ 5,000 extra police to the area apparently indicated to him that the island was not safe. If he interpreted that from the Australian news report then how many others?

Actually he did and his concerns were that they have to set up safety zones and employ 5,000 extra police to the area apparently indicated to him that the island was not safe. If he interpreted that from the Australian news report then how many others?

Australians visiting Thailand has been growing exponentially for years, never slowed down even with some serious incidents of violence. Again look at the numbers in comparison to incidents & it's minimal risk. Probably the same as you, I've been visiting Thailand for 25 years, lived here (Pattaya) for approx 3 years elapsed, never had one personal safety issue (except a number of near misses with damn stupid Thai & Western drivers) or suffered a scam.

Have to admit no longer interested in the main tourist locations in Thailand for holidays, due to the massive increase in tourists - don't mind living here. Now go to other countries for holidays.

Edited by simple1

Australians visiting Thailand has been growing exponentially for years, never slowed down even with some serious incidents of violence. Again look at the numbers in comparison to incidents & it's minimal risk. Probably the same as you, I've been visiting Thailand for 25 years, lived here (Pattaya) for approx 3 years elapsed, never had one personal safety issue (except a number of near misses with damn stupid Thai & Western drivers) or suffered a scam.

Have to admit no longer interested in the main tourist locations in Thailand for holidays, due to the massive increase in tourists - don't mind living here. Now go to other countries for holidays.

I have been in Thailand for 6 yrs and never experienced a problem, well 3 times I had to pay the 100 baht to get through a highway checkpoint between lampang and Tak but been through there numerous times without paying. I agree I am not personally interested in the main tourist areas of Thailand either. To many bloody farangs (tourists) but my wife wants to go down to phuket for a few days. They say there are huge numbers of Aussies visiting Thailand every year but after 6 years I have NEVER bumped into a single aussie in Thailand.

Anyway since I started this topic, Admin have started a similar thread.

Shit mate I've seen heaps of Aussies in Phuket, as well as the other usual tourist towns. Go Bombers.

A few lads were talking about this very topic today at work (lots of LOS fans there) and the general consensus was PR, as a reaction to a bit of bad press Thailand, and Phuket in general has had of late.

Shit mate I've seen heaps of Aussies in Phuket, as well as the other usual tourist towns. Go Bombers.

A few lads were talking about this very topic today at work (lots of LOS fans there) and the general consensus was PR, as a reaction to a bit of bad press Thailand, and Phuket in general has had of late.

I'm actually in Chiangmai and no other aussies up here.