Myanmar Gas Platform Repairs Completed Sooner; Power Production Back To Normal Sunday

webfact

Myanmar gas platform repairs completed sooner; power production back to normal Sunday
By English News

13655601109495.jpg

BANGKOK, April 10 – Maintenance of Myanmar's Yanada platform which supplies natural gas for power production to Thailand will be finished earlier than scheduled, according to a deputy governor of the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT).

Thana Putarungsi said as of Monday, the repairs were 46 per cent complete while it was originally set at 44 per cent.

Natural gas will be delivered from the Yanada platform at midnight of April 13 and three power generating plants in Ratchaburi will be switched from fuel to natural gas on April 14 at 7 am.

Generating plants at Bangkok’s North and South will restart their engines on April 15 at 5 am.

Mr Thana said the Thai public and the private sector have fully cooperated in energy saving and yesterday’s power consumption was nearly 700 megawatts (MW) at the peak, which was below than an earlier forecast.

Yanada operator has planned to shut down another platform for maintenance in early May next year, he said, adding that the Thai authorities were negotiating to have it suspended during the Songkran holiday when overall power consumption is lower than normal.

Tuesday’s peak consumption was 25,226.30 MW at 2.30 pm, lower than the predicted 25,920 MW, while the highest temperature was 38 degrees Celsius.

Thailand’s highest electricity consumption is forecast to reach 28,000 MW next year, about 1,000 MW higher than this year. Private-owned small-scale power plants are expected to generate 1,200 MW next year. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-04-10

Was there ever any doubt? It was Thai media that blew this bit of news out of all proportion, milking it for the sake of the spin doctors in the govt to grab some headlines to justify their existence, another committee and opinions from the never ending tirade of experts.

And what would a cynic say if they had not finsihed on time? Everything is wrong in Thailand. I get it. Thank you. (Sarcasm). Of course, you will also complain about this response. What to do, what to do......

Was there ever any doubt? It was Thai media that blew this bit of news out of all proportion, milking it for the sake of the spin doctors in the govt to grab some headlines to justify their existence, another committee and opinions from the never ending tirade of experts.

I look forward to you pulling up an article being negative about the Government, must be the democrat spin doctors at work. No doubt i will die waiting.

I cannot believe you have been in Thailand long if ever. If you met some Thai people, even ones who detest the Government, they are still able to give credit where's its due on some things. Your views are so blinkered by hatred, they just become pointless. I think people would take your opinions more seriously if you were capable of giving credit where it is due, and by all means lambaste things when they are poor decisions. Every single one of your 1K + posts are the same. If you are here why dont you leave for a few years and come back when PTP or Thaksin have gone, it cannot be good for your health.

• Like 1

I look forward to you pulling up an article being negative about the Government, must be the democrat spin doctors at work. No doubt i will die waiting.

I cannot believe you have been in Thailand long if ever. If you met some Thai people, even ones who detest the Government, they are still able to give credit where's its due on some things. Your views are so blinkered by hatred, they just become pointless. I think people would take your opinions more seriously if you were capable of giving credit where it is due, and by all means lambaste things when they are poor decisions. Every single one of your 1K + posts are the same. If you are here why dont you leave for a few years and come back when PTP or Thaksin have gone, it cannot be good for your health.

The myanmar side finished early. Let's hope the Thai side is ready despite songkran.

Great job finishing early but I don't think the Thai side gets any credit.

The headline is completely misleading, giving the impression that repairs ARE completed, rather than MAY BE, based on an assessment that that they are 2% ahead of schedule - at 46% rather than 44%. If correct, on a 10 day job, that would equate to 5 hours earlier completion.

And the Titanic was going to reach NY early.

Edited by OzMick
  • Like 1

How pathetic of an energy system does Thailand have for the whole country to go into a state of panic because of 1 gas line being closed. Thailand seriously needs to look into alternate sources of energy, there's a lot of desert/sunlight in Kanchanaburi and a lot of wind in the northern provinces, it's time to start to investing in renewable sources of energy.

If Myanmar and Thailand do ever go to war again, Myanmar has Thailand by the balls.

Edited by anantha92

How pathetic of an energy system does Thailand have for the whole country to go into a state of panic because of 1 gas line being closed. Thailand seriously needs to look into alternate sources of energy, there's a lot of desert/sunlight in Kanchanaburi and a lot of wind in the northern provinces, it's time to start to investing in renewable sources of energy.

If Myanmar and Thailand do ever go to war again, Myanmar has Thailand by the balls.

How much land is needed for solar panels/wind turbines to generate 25 thousand MW? Quite a bit I'd imagine.

I was thinking the same thing. Sort of ironic that a country that most Thai people detest, has an iron lock on the balls of Thailand.

And what would a cynic say if they had not finsihed on time? Everything is wrong in Thailand. I get it. Thank you. (Sarcasm). Of course, you will also complain about this response. What to do, what to do......

In case you have not noticed Thailand has been self sufficient on electricity going back to mid 50's despite its population growth. Perhaps you, like so many others believed the spin and deliberate misinformation fed to the public. I certainly don't, but each to his/her own.

Speaking of never ending tirades of experts...

How much land is needed for solar panels/wind turbines to generate 25 thousand MW? Quite a bit I'd imagine.

The Desert Sunlight Solar Farm in California which is currently under construction would provide 550MW of energy purely from solar power whilst taking up a space of 6 square miles. Although it may still be a little expensive you need to consider the other benefits such as job/industry creation where Thailand could turn itself into a hub (haha very funny i know) of renewable energy in south east Asia as there is currently a lack of such industries.

Source: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/palmsprings/Solar_Projects/Desert_Sunlight.html

The Desert Sunlight Solar Farm in California which is currently under construction would provide 550MW of energy purely from solar power whilst taking up a space of 6 square miles. Although it may still be a little expensive you need to consider the other benefits such as job/industry creation where Thailand could turn itself into a hub (haha very funny i know) of renewable energy in south east Asia as there is currently a lack of such industries.

Source: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/palmsprings/Solar_Projects/Desert_Sunlight.html

a LITTLE expensive? The 150MW solar plants being built in Oz are budgeted at a billion dollars each. Add on maintenance costs for the solar tracking equipment and cleaning costs for the thousands of panels that drop output when dusty, then apply the capacity factor of less than 20% (and it will be lower in the US), and you have some of the most expensive power ever produced.

Now consider that almost none of this energy is available at peak load times, so that other means must still be used to generate the needed energy, and you will begin to understand why electricity prices continue to rise despite all the "free" energy.