Bangkok Bank Again

So I go to the Bangkok bank branch in siam paragon asking to have a daily withdrawl limit on my account set at 5000 baht and I'm told the minimum limit can only be 20,000 . I ask to have an SMS text to my phone when there is a deposit or debit from my account and I am told this is not possible, I was dumbfounded!!! I know other banks make these requests possible is it true that Bangkok donot? If someone can confirm this then Bangkok really sucks.

You can sign up for Bulang banking and you have online access, but sms they don't have yet!? Funny how this bank operates. I have multiple accounts here and I have never had any issue with them even, before I retired here it was not a problem. I do watch my bank statements closely though. I'm surprised they wont allow you to set your limit but 5K is very small. My limit is 50K per day

You can sign up for Bulang banking and you have online access, but sms they don't have yet!? Funny how this bank operates. I have multiple accounts here and I have never had any issue with them even, before I retired here it was not a problem. I do watch my bank statements closely though. I'm surprised they wont allow you to set your limit but 5K is very small. My limit is 50K per day

PS, go to the office that you originally opened the account at. Maybe where you visit, they won't or can't help you but they won't tell you either......lol

I do get SMS and e-mail from Bangkok Bank for any online transaction I perform but did not think about having sms for any ATM transaction which would be useful. Is this normal at other banks to get SMS for an ATM withdrawal?

Have had a Bulang I banking account for many years. Pay all my bills including One to Call, Easy Pass, True Vision, etc. online. Also make transfers and receive a text message every time I log on, make a transfer or pay a bill. Suggest you go to the branch where you opened your account and see if they can help you.

Have had a Bulang I banking account for many years. Pay all my bills including One to Call, Easy Pass, True Vision, etc. online. Also make transfers and receive a text message every time I log on, make a transfer or pay a bill. Suggest you go to the branch where you opened your account and see if they can help you.

Agree, go to the branch where you opened the account or just another branch.

I opened a joint account with my adult Thai son at K Bank (in Chiang Mai), the old man who did the work to open the account gave a 'cannot' to almost every question we asked (and he's the assistant manager, of a very large branch).

By accident we got into a conversation with the manager of another big K Bank branch much closer to home, here in CM, he checked the details online of our joint account, then started to ask 'would you like SMS service for all ATM transactions (SMS sent to both my son's mobile no., and mine)?' and more.

Edited by scorecard

I have a BKK Bank and a K Bank account. I no longer use the BKK Bank account as the K Bank sends me an sms every time my card/account is used in whichever way it is used. If I withdraw cash from an ATM the SMS usually arrives even before I retrieve my card. Paying by card in a shop it usually arrives before I leave the till. If I subscribe to anything on my ipad which requires payment....SMS immediately. I also get a balance of account SMS about 30 minutes or so after each withdrawal.

BKK bank really do need to step up their game especially as there are so many cards being skimmed. There is often a 'test' purchase made by the scammers before they hit your card big time.... with the SMS alert you potentially have a chance to stop your card before too much real damage is done.

• Like 2

Agree, go to the branch where you opened the account or just another branch.

I opened a joint account with my adult Thai son at K Bank (in Chiang Mai), the old man who did the work to open the account gave a 'cannot' to almost every question we asked (and he's the assistant manager, of a very large branch).

By accident we got into a conversation with the manager of another big K Bank branch much closer to home, here in CM, he checked the details online of our joint account, then started to ask 'would you like SMS service for all ATM transactions (SMS sent to both my son's mobile no., and mine)?' and more.

More, yesterday evening a K bank manager told me that coming soon they will expand the types of transactions you can perform at any K Bank ATM.

One example; at the ATM you can request a small simple print out of the last 5 or 10 transactions or similar, or a print out of every transaction for the current month, etc. (The print out will be the same paper used currently for printed slips at each ATM).

I guess there will be a fee, but if the fee is minimal quite a good idea. Hope it comes soon.

I didn't know Bangkok Bank was so behind the times.I was going to use them for my social security payments,but I don't think so now.

I checked yesterday while in Bangkok; the New York branch of Bangkok Bank can be used to accept direct deposits from the U.S. Treasury but nothing else - and I mean that literally. If you wish to use Bangkok Bank for all your banking in Thailand then you will need two accounts; one with your local branch and one with their N.Y. branch. When your monthly benefit payment arrives in your N.Y. branch account you will have to withdraw those funds physically at your local Bangkok Bank branch and then deposit the funds while still at the window into your local Bangkok Bank account; and they will charge you a foreign exchange transfer fee. Or of course you could go to another bank to deposit your funds.

You can have your funds deposited into your U.S. bank account and use your U.S. bank debit card to perform a "bank to bank" transfer - which is free - obtaining the cash at the teller window of your local Thai bank. Then deposit the funds into your local Thai bank account while still at the window (K Bank for instance). Just be aware that not all Thai banks are equipped and/or have the staff knowledge to perform a bank to bank transfer. I use Bangkok Bank for that purpose; I would assume that a large branch of K Bank could do the same.

I asked the Thai customer service person at Bangkok Bank why I should use the Bangkok Bank N.Y. branch to obtain funds and subject myself to an exchange fee when a bank to bank transfer using my U.S. debit card is free. She of course did not have or just would not answer the question.

FYI - a bank to bank transfer using your U.S. debit card requires the card, your passport and the amount of cash you desire (within your withdrawal limits of course).

Edited by Utley

For the most part, I have had very good service from Bangkok Bank. As with any financial institution, you often have to wade and wait through the bureaucracy. I signed up for Bangkok Bank's internet banking service about a year ago and I am very satified with doing my banking business online. I strongly suggest that you explore this option by going to any Bangkok Bank branch. Just remember to take your passbook and your passport.

Does KBANK require a Work Permit to open an account? I have a Non-Immigrant O with retirement extension. Both Tanachart and SCB turned me away with no WP.

I don't know, but you should consider walking into a couple of branches. If I were in your shoes, next time you happen to pass one, and there are no lines, just stroll in. The girls behind the counter are some of the cutest too, so that doesn't hurt. Or maybe it does? Ha. In general, I have found kbank very good about anything I want - bangkok bank for example, wanted me to deposit 100k baht for a 100k credit card. I swore I would never deal with bangkok bank again - a couple of bad experiences plus some other small stuff I feel they do to Thai people.... that was enough for me.

Edited by isawasnake

Kbank is excellent everything said above by tolsti is spot on, they also email me after every payment made by mobile banking on top of the sms which are unbelievably fast.

I dumped bangkokbank too.

Any suggestions for a good branch to use on Sukhumvit?

Does KBANK require a Work Permit to open an account? I have a Non-Immigrant O with retirement extension. Both Tanachart and SCB turned me away with no WP.

Just tell them you don't need a WP and to open the account! That is what I did at BKK Bank. Don't ask them, just tell them!

• Like 1

Just tell them you don't need a WP and to open the account! That is what I did at BKK Bank. Don't ask them, just tell them!

That is seriously some of the best advice I have ever read on Thaivisa. Don't ask Thai people; they LOVE to say no. Just tell them. May not always work, but way better than asking.

I recently tried to transfer from my SCB account to my overseas account and was told I can not transfer that much without proving where I got the funds from, I told them I transferred it from my overseas account to my SCB account and surely you must have a record. To this they replied I need to prove the funds are mine. After some debate I could transfer the funds from my account to my joint account with my wife. And she could then transfer the funds out of the country. There reasoning was they did not want foreigners making money here and sending it back to their home country. Bloody crazy.

I didn't know Bangkok Bank was so behind the times.I was going to use them for my social security payments,but I don't think so now.

I checked yesterday while in Bangkok; the New York branch of Bangkok Bank can be used to accept direct deposits from the U.S. Treasury but nothing else - and I mean that literally. If you wish to use Bangkok Bank for all your banking in Thailand then you will need two accounts; one with your local branch and one with their N.Y. branch. When your monthly benefit payment arrives in your N.Y. branch account you will have to withdraw those funds physically at your local Bangkok Bank branch and then deposit the funds while still at the window into your local Bangkok Bank account; and they will charge you a foreign exchange transfer fee. Or of course you could go to another bank to deposit your funds.

You can have your funds deposited into your U.S. bank account and use your U.S. bank debit card to perform a "bank to bank" transfer - which is free - obtaining the cash at the teller window of your local Thai bank. Then deposit the funds into your local Thai bank account while still at the window (K Bank for instance). Just be aware that not all Thai banks are equipped and/or have the staff knowledge to perform a bank to bank transfer. I use Bangkok Bank for that purpose; I would assume that a large branch of K Bank could do the same.

I asked the Thai customer service person at Bangkok Bank why I should use the Bangkok Bank N.Y. branch to obtain funds and subject myself to an exchange fee when a bank to bank transfer using my U.S. debit card is free. She of course did not have or just would not answer the question.

FYI - a bank to bank transfer using your U.S. debit card requires the card, your passport and the amount of cash you desire (within your withdrawal limits of course).

You do not open an account with the Bangkok Bank "New York" branch; you only use their ACH "routing number" along with your "in-Thailand" Bangkok Bank account number. Same process used when you use ACH to transfer money from a U.S. bank to your Bangkok Bank account.

The NY branch is only a commercial bank; not a retail bank for the common joe on the street. Basically, the money just flows through the NY branch which has a ACH routing number to your in-Thailand branch account. Also sounds like you are talking about a "Direct Deposit" account with Bangkok Bank which they do require for U.S. govt pensions such as social security, military retirement, etc. Such an account complies with U.S. law which is attempting to minimize those cases where a pensioner dies, nobody notifies the U.S. govt sending the monthly pension of the pensioners death which would usually stop the pension, and the money continues to flow-in. And if the account was a joint account (which it can't be) the joint account owner like maybe the spouse might not notify the U.S. govt, continue to receive, withdraw, and spend the pensioner's pension illegally. Yeap, it happens. Yea, yea, I know a U.S. govt pension can flow to a U.S. joint account, but Thailand is not the U.S. With a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account it can only be in your name with no ATM access or ibanking transfer capability...you can view the account on ibanking but you just can't transfer money out of it. Here's Bangkok Bank's webpage on Direct Deposit account setup...Link....and remember you will first need an account opened at a Bangkok Bank branch "in-Thailand." And here's Bangkok Bank's webpage on transferring money to your in-Thailand branch using their NY branch ACH routing...Link.

You would be better off having your U.S. pension first flow into your U.S. bank account and they have it transferred from that U.S. bank account to your Bangkok Bank account...this way, the govt pension coding is not longer in the transfer data coding and instead just has normal money transfer coding. While a Direct Deposit account does have it "show up personally restrictions" it does provide a way for your U.S. govt pension to go directly to your Bangkok Bank account versus first being sent to your U.S. bank account and they a follow-on transfer being required which may or may not incur additional fees.

A 200 to 500 currency receipts/transfer fee is common for all Thai banks. Getting funds via debit card is always an option (that's primarily how I get all my day to day living money in Thailand), but unless the debit card is a "no foreign transaction fee" debit card (most are not...most have a 1 to4% fee) you would get hit with the fee every time you used the card outside of Thailand...whether you used the card at the bank counter or in the ATM. As I said most U.S. debit cards do have a foreign transaction fee but some don't such as Schwab, State Farm, CapOne.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

Some comments off topic here, I referred to the fact a Bangkok Bank account holder with a be1st ATM card cannot place a limit on a daily withdrawl of less than 20,000 from its account. Bearing in mind that if an illegal withdrawl is made from that account you are not protected(you lose it all) and you are not even getting an sms to your phone telling you of such a withdrawl! Bye Bye Bangkok Bank you dont deserve my business and seems you dont care anyway.

• Like 1

Some comments off topic here, I referred to the fact a Bangkok Bank account holder with a be1st ATM card cannot place a limit on a daily withdrawl of less than 20,000 from its account. Bearing in mind that if an illegal withdrawl is made from that account you are not protected(you lose it all) and you are not even getting an sms to your phone telling you of such a withdrawl! Bye Bye Bangkok Bank you dont deserve my business and seems you dont care anyway.

Good for you.

Info on Bangkok Bank SMS Services can be reviewed here: Link

so the information I was given at a branch about not able to receieve SMS when activity on my account, was incorrect?

Edited by allalong

Info on Bangkok Bank SMS Services can be reviewed here: Link

so the information I was given at a branch about not able to receieve SMS when activity on my account, was incorrect?

The true answers don't matter here; you ask a question, they say no. I don't think there is anything sinister underlying it all. Maybe it just happens when we speak too fast, or not clearly enough, and they don't understand. They'd rather just say no than ask you to repeat. People love to say no here. I have been to south american countries and people will look high and low, ask people next door, and overall break their back trying to find something for you. Here, before you can get the question out, it is "no have". I think they like to see foreigners walk away frustrated. It is working, good for them.