Twin Bomb Explosions Shatter Boston Marathon Finish Line

SeaVisionBurma

Listening to the police scanner, they may be closing in in him.

A guy on a road trying to flag down random cars reported. Another open door report at a house and some strange noises in a guys garage.

Yup, they are after the guy on the road big time now.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to the police scanner, they may be closing in in him.

A guy on a road trying to flag down random cars reported. Another open door report at a house and some strange noises in a guys garage.

I find it fascinating listening to this from 10K miles away and it is as clear as if it is in our home town here!

I think for Homeland security, the easiest option would have been a homegrown terrorist group such as the right wing extremist, I believe much more difficult to detect than 'outsiders' (due mainly to the incredible amount of resources targeted on external terrorist groups). If it transpires that this is a 'foreign' group I believe it becomes a lot more problematic for the security services, in that somebody should have picked this plot up.

If the people involved were of foreign origin, it does not make it inherently easier to detect nor should someone necessarily have been able to uncover it. That is entirely dependent on the way it's done and it's scale and any number of things...a small, closed cell of people - foreign or US citizens - observing appropriate operational security would be EXTREMELY difficult if not impossible to discover - barring a blunder or some other lucky break - until they acted.

Just before 1:00am Eastern, Boston police scanner traffic broadcast the names of the Watertown/MIT shooting/Boston Marathon bombing suspects: Mike Mulugeta (dead) and Sunil Tripathi. Tripathi’s name and photo had been floating around the Internet all day, as Reddit and other social media sleuths mused whether the missing Brown University student could be a suspect.

*Sunil of Indian heritage is said to be the son of a wealthy software magnate. (don't jump on me just reporting what is said)

This is going to get interesting. Tripathi is indeed an Indian surname. I wonder what the possible motive is for this crime?

India is an ethnically diverse country.

but Tripathi is American.

What's your point? I'm guessing you are going to embarrass yourself again...

• Like 1

“The fact that Sunil Tripathi’s information was able to be dug up so quickly by 4Chan’s community and posted hours before the police even managed to engage Sunil in Watertown shows the lightning fast capabilities of alternative news and the internet at large,” writes Anthony Gucciardi. “This is why the mainstream media is failing to hold an audience and experiencing dwindling statistics while alternative news sources that capture the pulse of ongoing investigation manage to come out on top.”

Exactly! And the straight jacket of political correctness they operate within positively feeds conspiracy theories and causes resentment, which is exactly the opposite effect to that they probably intended. As Orwell once wrote "In times of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Just before 1:00am Eastern, Boston police scanner traffic broadcast the names of the Watertown/MIT shooting/Boston Marathon bombing suspects: Mike Mulugeta (dead) and Sunil Tripathi. Tripathi’s name and photo had been floating around the Internet all day, as Reddit and other social media sleuths mused whether the missing Brown University student could be a suspect.

*Sunil of Indian heritage is said to be the son of a wealthy software magnate. (don't jump on me just reporting what is said)

This is going to get interesting. Tripathi is indeed an Indian surname. I wonder what the possible motive is for this crime?

India is an ethnically diverse country. coffee1.gif

but Tripathi is American.

Do you know it's Tripathi? Funny that. Anyway I'm American but ETHNICALLY something else. Do you get the concept?

Curious, I've never heard of someone being ETHNICALLY an American. coffee1.gif

BTW, reports are over the police scanner during the carjacking of the SUV, the perp was described as MIDDLE EASTERN in appearance. Long before the linkage to the bombers. Now it's reported the SUV driver somehow escaped. Lucky man!

Also note, the first report I am aware of any kind of credible linkage between the Watertown suspects and the bombers was from the Boston Globe NEWSPAPER. Deal with that.

Edited by Jingthing

“The fact that Sunil Tripathi’s information was able to be dug up so quickly by 4Chan’s community and posted hours before the police even managed to engage Sunil in Watertown shows the lightning fast capabilities of alternative news and the internet at large,” writes Anthony Gucciardi. “This is why the mainstream media is failing to hold an audience and experiencing dwindling statistics while alternative news sources that capture the pulse of ongoing investigation manage to come out on top.”

Exactly! And the straight jacket of political correctness they operate within positively feeds conspiracy theories and causes resentment, which is exactly the opposite effect to that they probably intended. As Orwell once wrote "In times of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

I don't disagree entirely, but the public needs to realise a lot of these guys are hacks with no formal qualifications or grip of ethics, and often extremely biased ones at that. You blame political correctness but a lot of the restraint shown by decent professional journos is due more to journalistic integrity, their unwillingness to go public on volatile information from a single unproven (or proven unreliable) source etc. News organisations and journalist's credibility and reputations do mean they (should at least) employ caution and restraint - and that's a good thing far more often than not. Anonymous posters on the internet - when they get it wrong they just change their usernames, and they're rarely held accountable... Both groups perform valuable but very different roles. Both deserve harsh criticism for their behaviour in recent days.

• Like 2

why does age or the shape of a nose play any role here to substantiate wild guesses?

Islamic terrorists are generally younger people and in cases of foreign terrorism in the U.S., Islamic radicals would obviously be the most likely type based on recent history. Now it seems we know they were foreigners so this wasn't domestic motivated terrorism. Yeah, I bet this was Islamic related at this point but obviously don't know that for sure yet. Your nose comment is just silly. That isn't the point.

How do you know that they are foreigners?

You make you speculation based on how their face looks on pixelated photos. that is like that their nose is telling you that they are Islamic radicals. that is indeed silly. and neither from their age we could conclude that they are islamic radicals.

I don't disagree entirely, but the public needs to realise a lot of these guys are hacks with no formal qualifications or grip of ethics, and often extremely biased ones at that. You blame political correctness but a lot of the restraint shown by decent professional journos is due more to journalistic integrity, their unwillingness to go public on volatile information from a single unproven (or proven unreliable) source etc. News organisations and journalist's credibility and reputations do mean they (should at least) employ caution and restraint - and that's a good thing far more often than not. Anonymous posters on the internet - when they get it wrong they just change their usernames, and they're rarely held accountable... Both groups perform valuable but very different roles. Both deserve harsh criticism for their behaviour in recent days.

I agree for the most part, but would suggest journalistic integrity is in rare supply these days. In the spirit of restraint I would say don't count your Chechens before they hatch.

• Like 1

why does age or the shape of a nose play any role here to substantiate wild guesses?

Islamic terrorists are generally younger people and in cases of foreign terrorism in the U.S., Islamic radicals would obviously be the most likely type based on recent history. Now it seems we know they were foreigners so this wasn't domestic motivated terrorism. Yeah, I bet this was Islamic related at this point but obviously don't know that for sure yet. Your nose comment is just silly. That isn't the point.

How do you know that they are foreigners?

You make you speculation based on how their face looks on pixelated photos. that is like that their nose is telling you that they are Islamic radicals. that is indeed silly. and neither from their age we could conclude that they are islamic radicals.

Because credible media reported they were foreigners. Now there are credible reports they were Russian nationals from an area known for Islamic terrorism, living in the USA for about one year. You're the one fixated about noses. I never commented about noses.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

RT @ChannelNewsAsia:

BREAKING: Boston Marathon bombing suspects were from Russia, near Chechnya and lived in US for at least 1 year: AP sources

So not from the middle east like some credible expert on ethnic profiling concluded bases on their facial expression on pixaleted video stills?

I think one thing is save to say: that they are young and that exclude that some lonely old man with whatever background was the terrorist.

Surviving Boston bombing suspect named as Dzhokhar A Tsarnaev following shootout that left other suspect and police officer dead

A suspect in Monday's Boston's Marathon bombings has died after being

captured by police in a shootout just outside of the city that also

left one officer dead. A massive manhunt is underway to find a second

suspect.

Boston police commissioner Ed Davis confirmed that the second man is

still at large in Watertown, a suburb about 6 miles north-west of

Boston.

The missing suspect has been identified by the Associated

Press as 19-year-old Dzhokhar A Tsarnaev from nearby Cambridge,

Massachusetts. Both suspects are reportedly from a Russian region near

Chechnya and have been living in the US for at least a year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/surviving-boston-bombing-suspect-named-as-dzhokhar-a-tsarnaev-following-shootout-that-left-other-suspect-and-police-officer-dead-8579362.html

RT @ChannelNewsAsia:

BREAKING: Boston Marathon bombing suspects were from Russia, near Chechnya and lived in US for at least 1 year: AP sources

So not from the middle east like some credible expert on ethnic profiling concluded bases on their facial expression on pixaleted video stills?

I think one thing is save to say: that they are young and that exclude that some lonely old man with whatever background was the terrorist.

Yes. Again Russian nationals from a region well known for Islamic terrorism. Chechnyan terrorists in the USA. That sounds new to me. As far as ethnic profiling, my first reaction to their appearance was that they were ethnically ambiguous and that they MIGHT be from the Middle East but by no means were DEFINITELY from the Middle East. Lots of people can pass for a wide range of ethnicities/nationalities.

Now what were they up to. Where were they trained? Just because they were from Chechnya doesn't mean they weren't linked to a more typical terror group enemy of America.

Edited by Jingthing

RT @ChannelNewsAsia:

Yes. Again Russian nationals from a region well known for Islamic terrorism. Chechnyan terrorists in the USA. That sounds new to me.

Yup, also explains why RT first leaked this, to support their forever war with these Chechnyans.

Yes. Again Russian nationals from a region well known for Islamic terrorism. Chechnyan terrorists in the USA. That sounds new to me. As far as ethnic profiling, my first reaction to their appearance was that they were ethnically ambiguous and that they MIGHT be from the Middle East but by no means were DEFINITELY from the Middle East. Lots of people can pass for a wide range of ethnicities/nationalities.

Now what were they up to. Where were they trained? Just because they were from Chechnya doesn't mean they weren't linked to a more typical terror group enemy of America.

Chechen jihadis are certainly not new and frankly it's not a surprising development to me - as I said much earlier in the thread, Islamist extremist are by no means all Middle Eastern in origin and there's no reason I know of why those from other regions would be unlikely to strike in the US.

There have been numerous Chechens through Afghanistan camps. They also have a well developed and trained insurgency in Chechnya. I may post more about this when I return but I leave you with a reminder of truly horrible event...

Beslan.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Chechen jihadis are certainly not new and frankly it's not a surprising development to me - as I said much earlier in the thread, Islamist extremist are by no means all Middle Eastern in origin and there's no reason I know of why those from other regions would be unlikely to strike in the US.

No they aren't new but the first I heard of them being involved on direct attacks on U.S. soil. We don't even know yet if they were motivated by radical Islam; it's only their neighborhood that strongly supports that supposition. Yes, I would bet they were.

Edited by Jingthing

I would caution everyone that this is real time data. Second hand, and third hand realtime data at that.

just catch the damn bastards.

PS, I did notice that Boston Police did not hesitate in engaging theses guys

The suspects would have fared better if the FBI had engaged them first.whistling.gif

No they aren't new but the first I heard of them being involved on direct attacks on U.S. soil. We don't even know yet if they were motivated by radical Islam; it's only their neighborhood that strongly supports that supposition. Yes, I would bet they were.

Still, it is strange that they would pick America. Their normal targets are in Moscow etc.. If anything, this might result in a more internationally supported Russian suppression of Chechnya, which seems counter to their group's goals...

I would caution everyone that this is real time data. Second hand, and third hand realtime data at that.

The suspects would have fared better if the FBI had engaged them first.whistling.gif

Apparently not going down without a fight. The dead one had a bomb strapped to himself.

Still, it is strange that they would pick America. Their normal targets are in Moscow etc.. If anything, this might result in a more internationally supported Russian suppression of Chechnya, which seems counter to their group's goals...

Again, they could have easily been RECRUITED by the usual suspects and just happen to be from Chechnya. They are happy to recruit from anywhere!

• Like 2

Sorry, I posted too quickly as I'm on my way out - no, we don't know anything for certain and I meant to say that.

Not so strange IF they were motivated by Islamic extremism, seeing as said ideology is worldwide recognizing no national borders. Edit: That's why you find Canadian nationals carrying out terrorist attacks in Algeria or indeed U.S nationals being taken out by drones in Yemen.

Edited by Steely Dan

Apparently not going down without a fight. The dead one had a bomb strapped to himself.

From the report of the damage to him, it appears he had a bomb. I dont know if he had it strapped to himself. It could have been a IED he had intended to toss and miss handled.

PS the Boston Police i don't think minds a shoot out. The FBI would have preferred a cleaner, more diplomatic solution. The BP just wants the guys that did this to their city and fellow citizens.

Again all this is speculation on my part on realtime data

Edited by jamhar

From the report of the damage to him, it appears he had a bomb. I dont know if he had it strapped to himself. It could have been a IED he had intended to toss and miss handled.

PS the Boston Police i don't think minds a shoot out. The FBI would have preferred a cleaner, more diplomatic solution. The BP just wants the guys that did this to their city and fellow citizens.

Again all this is speculation on my part on realtime data

The real mess in all this is the long and tedious police check of all areas concerned. Over the scanner, they are occasionally finding and detonating pipe bombs and other things, so these two appear to have had a real serious agenda of death and mayhem.