Dog Suffering The Worst I Have Seen

A week ago I walked along the canal where I live and saw a thai lady looking after a dog suffering beyond anything I have ever seen before. My dad is a vet back home and I have seen a lot of suffering animals in my life but this is the worst.

The dog is still lying their convulsing and basically crying out. I could not help it 1 week ago and I regret this but just walked past the same area tonight and its still their suffering.

I have told the owner I want to take it to the vet and pay for it to be put down. She agrees with this but will not come in the taxi with me.

The problem is that I have been ringing around vet clinics and they all refuse to put it to sleep - due to local beliefs. Can you help or advise what to do here. If you can recommend a vet that has more western training or belief system?? I am here in LOS to observe not to judge cultural values but I know that this dog needs to be put down.

They may decide differently once they see the animal's condition. No Thai vet will euthanize on demand but many will on a selective basis. It is unfortunately not something you can ascertain on the phone in advance.

Even if they do not euthanize, they will certainly inject medications to stop the convulsing and render him more comfortable.

The Ari Pet Hospital is generally well regarded.

Be very careful around this dog as rabies is a possibility. Make sure not to get bot or get its saliva on you. Good luck

The most memorable thing on my first visit to Thailand many years ago was the recall of a suffering dog.

It was a young male so tormented by fleas that it had scratched itself virtually hair-less. It occupied it's space beside the small outside bars at the beginning of Naklua Road, Pattaya on the right out of town.

The thing was in scratching in constant agony. On the second day I decided to act and enquired from the bar tottie about a nearby vet to take it to. They assumed I was a looney and talked of cost.

It needed drinks all-round x2 to get them on my side Eventually a girlie or two arrived with a lead and bravely put it around the dog's neck and we all went (five of us believe) to an "animal doctor," not far away actually.

One injection and the mutt was on the way to recovery. I saw it next day and the improvement was both astounding and rewarding.

Two thousand baht well spent.

Why can many Thai be so indifferent to a dumb creatures suffering whilst many of us have a soft heart?

Finances or an inabilty to appreciate suffering beyond the self?

Edited by Beechboy
  • Like 2

Ask the vet to set it all up and you administer the final dose.

This is one of my concerns about living in Thailand. My two dogs are like my children and when their time comes, I do not want them to suffer. My fear is that a Vet in Thailand will not euthanize them and they will suffer until the end.

Do you know if a Vet would agree to prepare the lethal dose and allow the owner to administer?

This is one of my concerns about living in Thailand. My two dogs are like my children and when their time comes, I do not want them to suffer. My fear is that a Vet in Thailand will not euthanize them and they will suffer until the end.

Do you know if a Vet would agree to prepare the lethal dose and allow the owner to administer?

I have not discussed it with any.

But, a vet we use would not spey our dog as she thought she could be pregnant for same reasons.

We found another one nearby that had no problem doing it for us, he expressed same concerns, but understood reality.

I think discussed with a reasonable vet and explain they do not have to do the final administration for their reasons, but to allow you to administer the drug into an iv tube, then they should not have the same issues as it is you doing the deed, not them.

I may discuss it with our vet next time in there.

It is illegal for a vet in Thailand to put a dog to sleep and the penalties are really harsh, this was the response i got when my old dog was really sick and i took it to the vets, after i sat with the vet for nearly an hour explaining that it was more cruel to let the dog suffer he decided to make a couple of phone calls and then gave me an address and said take her there and wait for him, When i got there it was his storage yard in the moddle of nowhere, he gave her the drug and she went to sleep, we sat and talked and he explained how most vets understood the need sometimes to put animals to sleep but were too frightened of the consequenses.

Edited by Keith67

The most memorable thing on my first visit to Thailand many years ago was the recall of a suffering dog.

It was a young male so tormented by fleas that it had scratched itself virtually hair-less. It occupied it's space beside the small outside bars at the beginning of Naklua Road, Pattaya on the right out of town.

The thing was in scratching in constant agony. On the second day I decided to act and enquired from the bar tottie about a nearby vet to take it to. They assumed I was a looney and talked of cost.

It needed drinks all-round x2 to get them on my side Eventually a girlie or two arrived with a lead and bravely put it around the dog's neck and we all went (five of us believe) to an "animal doctor," not far away actually.

One injection and the mutt was on the way to recovery. I saw it next day and the improvement was both astounding and rewarding.

Why can many Thai be so indifferent to a dumb creatures suffering whilst many of us have a soft heart?

2000b for one injection?

The vet saw you coming, obviously with a pile of bg's in tow and charged you a whopper.

We recently had a dog in overnight vet care, treatment and injections and further medication for home for 1900b and I thought it was expensive.

if I find a vet tomorrow I will send you a PM to let you know

It was only a temporary relief, and the dog hung on for a couple of weeks more, months at best. One injection might have cured the condition it suffered from, very unlikely, but there are countless more. If you want to keep a dog alive in this contaminated country, it has to see the vet at least once in two months. Did it look like this one? Look the effort it took to save it. http://www.soidogmovies.org/news/shiver/shiver-story.html

One of our Soi dogs has been in the local vets for the past week - we're lucky enough that one of the vets there lived in our condo for a long time so knows the dog and has been looking after her for free. We pay for her food and care, but the stay is 'on the house'. That said, me and my girlfriend would happily pay for her stay as well - our soi dogs are friendly, lovely creatures and have become our adopted pets, really. They know us and are happy and bouncy when we walk down the road, and always greet us when we come home. Honestly, in my opinion, nothing beats having a pet who welcomes you home, happy and smiling.

Truth is, this is a pretty hard place to be as an animal lover. There are so many cruel people here that just don't care about animals that it becomes really disheartening when you're left to take care of them. We are very lucky, though - as most of the people we know here seem to really care about our soi dogs and help them when needed.

The dog we took to the vets has lost her eyesight which is really sad to watch - we had to take her in the hopes that something can be done. We'll be bringing her back to the soi perhaps this weekend, but I'm really worried how she's going to fare. But we're really trying to her, and like the OP said, money really becomes no object when it's an animal you care about.

To answer the OPs question, I don't know how vets work here - but the clinic round the corner from us seems pretty much like you'd find in England. The vet I spoke to acknowledged that if dogs don't get better then, 'Well...', without saying it, but others have first hand experience so I don't know. It's not something I even want to think about, but I'd advise taking a picture of the dog and going to the clinic first, and seeing what they advise.

No doubt some of you will go spare but it's easy enough to euthanize a dog without resorting to a vet. It's cruel to be kind sometimes and I have had to move quickly to euthanize animals that have suffered serious injuries in the past. Seeing animals caught in farm equipment is horrendous, and suffering after being knocked down too. You have to step in quickly.

Just in case you think I'm a callous bastid, it's an act of compassion, I have been distraught every time I have lost a pet in the past, and I mean, distraught.

• Like 1

I agree with the Blether. I grew up on a farm as well, and there were many times when an animal needed to be put down as none of us would tolerate suffering. It may feel like an act of violence to you. But days of agony are much more cruel than being put down, even if it takes longer than you expect. Sufficient blunt force to the head will ensure the pain ends nearly instantly.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 1

I agree, while I have also put animals down, but never a dog, the thought of Trigger looking up at you as the golf club comes swinging down is not so nice.

I guess you could blind fold old Trigger.

I would still prefer the nice quiet and gentle green dream.

Some of us are a bit squeamish about administering a killing blow! But I had two dogs put down by vets in Chiangmai; it can be done if the animal is suffering.

The is a big difference between putting down a farm animal and a pet that is a member of the family.

Thanks for the info about your experience.

• Like 1

I agree with the Blether. I grew up on a farm as well, and there were many times when an animal needed to be put down as none of us would tolerate suffering. It may feel like an act of violence to you. But days of agony are much more cruel than being put down, even if it takes longer than you expect. Sufficient blunt force to the head will ensure the pain ends nearly instantly.

could i administer a killing blow to my loved one?not in a thousand yrs.i would rather pay someone a large amount of money [maybe a vet] or someone with a gun, AND YES DONT FORGET MONEY TALKS IN THAILANDit would haunt me for the rest of my life.as the saying BE PREPARED

Have done this before,slowly slowly ,vet holding the stethoscope.

There is a chance the vet will sell a syringe full of what you want,hard to find a vein especially in a struggling dog,vet may well give you a sedative(under the skin) to calm it down. Horrible situation

Edited by pinfold
  • Like 1

Well the most heart rending death of an animal I ever experienced was when I took my Aunt's beloved collie to be put down, this lovely guy was more human than dog. I stood with my cousin, the nurse and the vet and the old guy let out a wail that haunts me to this day. he knew what was coming.

The four of us ended up in tears.

Also, re the farm animal thing, it was invariably domestic animals that got caught up in the machinery, cows and horses find it hard to sleep inside hay balers.

Another point that is that farmers have compassion for all their animals. It may well be that they are being raised for the slaughter but any decent farmer takes pride in ensuring that his animals are humanely treated during their lives. When I worked on the farm any report of any animal in distress resulted in the farmer dropping everything and racing to it's rescue.

The poor dog in the OP would be gone already, that's not to say that I wouldn't have taken the precaution of speaking to a vet first as after all, this is Thailand. As soon as the vet refused to put the animal down I would do it without compunction.

I know it's a matter of conscience for many Buddhists, but it's also a matter of conscience for me.

This particular thread is about a stray, if I am not mistaken. Family pets instill a different level of complex emotions. But still, if suffering is great and no vet will do it, then you should find some means to do it. If the animal is non violent it is possible to use Carbon monoxide from exhaust to facilitate a painless passing.

could i administer a killing blow to my loved one?not in a thousand yrs.i would rather pay someone a large amount of money [maybe a vet] or someone with a gun, AND YES DONT FORGET MONEY TALKS IN THAILANDit would haunt me for the rest of my life.as the saying BE PREPARED

I think I'm the same as you meatboy, I would also bottle it if I had to put one of ours out of their misery.

However, if it was someone elses pet, and it was the only alternative, I don't think I would have a problem.

(I actually thought about that for a while before replying) Funny how the brain works, eh

It is illegal for a vet in Thailand to put a dog to sleep and the penalties are really harsh, this was the response i got when my old dog was really sick and i took it to the vets, after i sat with the vet for nearly an hour explaining that it was more cruel to let the dog suffer he decided to make a couple of phone calls and then gave me an address and said take her there and wait for him, When i got there it was his storage yard in the moddle of nowhere, he gave her the drug and she went to sleep, we sat and talked and he explained how most vets understood the need sometimes to put animals to sleep but were too frightened of the consequenses.

Ridiculous!

I"ve had 2 of my dogs put to sleep here in Phuket. I have met and talked to many vets here over the years and not one of them would sit by and see a dog really suffer.

Sheryl's post is by far the best advice on this thread. Take the dog to the vets as quickly as possible.

I have never once seen a Vet in Thailand that would not Put a suffering animal out of it's misery...

this statement is innacurate. Kinlyow should ring around some of the vet hospitals in bkk and find out that none of them will put a dog down that is suffering

This particular thread is about a stray, if I am not mistaken. Family pets instill a different level of complex emotions. But still, if suffering is great and no vet will do it, then you should find some means to do it. If the animal is non violent it is possible to use Carbon monoxide from exhaust to facilitate a painless passing.

No this dog was not a stray. It was owned by some ladies who have a shop. These ladies are absolutely hopeless and uneducated people and should not have a dog as a pet. I walked past this dog in its cage a month ago and it was lying there in its cage with a small sore on its back. I thought back then that the dog should see a vet but did nothing about it. I regret it so much

I found a vet eventually who agreed on the phone to give it the green dream- in oz the vets use a brand called 'lethabarb' I think. It was hard trying to find a taxi that would take us to the vet in the heat of the day. I had to pay him thb1000 and then he wanted a 200 tip. The vet today charged me 200 baht.

Whilst I was trying to sort out the taxi we transferred the poor dog to a cadboard box and using my cold bottle of water I slowly in its mouth. It stopped crying (convulsions) briefly. The stupid owners had evidently not been giving it drinks of water. I gave it water all the way to the vet- just felt so sorry for the poor dog as its had a shit life due to its irresponsible thai owners who have no money or are kee neow.

The whole experience of this suffering dog was so upsetting but a relief for the poor thing who was in hell for many months. It is a shame that the thai's think its a 'Sin' for putting down a suffering animal.