When Are Soi Dogs A Problem?

ThaiTrav

I also like dogs, and the two who drop by for a handful of doggie feed each morning are very friendly.

It's the untrained hounds next door that get right up my nose at 4am! aaagghh!! w00t.gifbah.gifblink.pngsick.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my hometown in Europe they made feeding pidgeons illagal. (Thinking other cities also??)

Because feeding them is NOT the solution, they only breed more and in the end MORE pidgeons suffer, not LESS.

Same for Soi dogs. You think we should tell that to the Thais?? biggrin.pngtongue.pngthumbsup.gif

I came across a pack of about 20 at twilight on Pratanak hill a few weeks ago, I hear a farang feeds them and Im sure glad or they would eaten me

You probably heard the truth. There is a Farang weirdo driving around Jomtien in an old beat - up car plastered with posters about dog welfare, asking for donations in cash and food.

The guy should be arrested and deported.

Stray Soi dogs are a problem and while I totally understand the humane desire for some need to feed them, that only helps them breed and multiply and does not address the problem at all. Australia, in its dubious wisdom, decided not to allow any culling of their thousands of feral dogs and now packs of up to a hundred are making cattle farming a nightmare in some areas. By all means be charitable, but helping orphans, kids with special needs and other kids with disabilities is - in my mind - a better service to the community at large.

Edited by petercool

I love stray dogs and will continue feeding them. The pleasure I get from feeding puppies and dogs in Thailand is very rewarding.

If you love them that much then why don't you pay to get them vacinated or treated for all the deseases they have?

You're doing NO ONE any favours by continuing to feed them!

Ahh sorry but I am doing the dog a favor. If you were born a dog you would be grateful too. And its so rewarding when you give to the dogs food.

In the next few years im going to buy some rai near central pattaya and house about 200 of them.

• Like 1

I love stray dogs and will continue feeding them. The pleasure I get from feeding puppies and dogs in Thailand is very rewarding.

If you love them that much then why don't you pay to get them vacinated or treated for all the deseases they have?

You're doing NO ONE any favours by continuing to feed them!

Ahh sorry but I am doing the dog a favor. If you were born a dog you would be grateful too. And its so rewarding when you give to the dogs food.

In the next few years im going to buy some rai near central pattaya and house about 200 of them.

WOW - some rai near central pattaya, plenty money i hope

• Like 1

I'll tell you when they are a problem.

We used to have a pregnant one that used to sleep outside our gate at night, the wife used to feed her it's a Thai Buddha thing, eventually she had two pup's one died and a few week's later so did the mother. Then the rains started i think we can let her sleep under the car whilst we have this bad weather the good lady said. well that was two year's ago, we now have a new addition to the family.

Now that's when they are a problem.

But there has been some good point's come out of it, we now cant go on trip's together and I have to go on my own.

Some time ago we had a problem with our light's so after we had gone to bed the place was in black out, about 2am the dog went crazy we let her out quickly followed by the wife 'I'm not silly' only to see three local yob's scrambling over the wall, one now minus a bit of his short's

Well maybe there not all such a problem.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 2

You probably heard the truth. There is a Farang weirdo driving around Jomtien in an old beat - up car plastered with posters about dog welfare, asking for donations in cash and food.

he should be arrested and deported for having an opinion you disagree with, or for driving an old car, or for being a farang?

Edited by wwex
  • Like 1

he should be arrested and deported for having an opinion you disagree with, or for driving an old car, or for being a farang?

for being a weirdo is a good enough reason - lol

u r the problem ..people like u ...does it make u feel warm and fuzzy

they should put a bounty on the vermin ...that way locals would put their dogs in and the rest rounded up and exterminated ...ohhh i hear the hand wringers ....no im not a nazi ...just a soi dog hater cheers

I don't like all the stray/soi dogs either, several times they has tried to attack me when passing them on my scooter.

In BKK kids sometimes getting killed or badly mauled by them, not acceptable.

Some of the dogs are in horrifying condition, open wounds, limping (hit by a car/motorbike?), sad really.

As far as I am concerned, they should all be taken down.

In Denmark when some city/town have too many pigeons/doves they send licensed light rifle shooters out and deal with them.

Yes as one poster mention: Better help children in need than a dog.

Keep up the good work, i use to do the same, but now have a huge family of my own(pets) so hardly any time for that

Explain to me how feeding desease ridden strays can be 'good work'?

He's merely adding to the already out of control stray problem here and throughout Thailand.

It'd be interesting to see if he still fed them if one turns and bit him and he ended up with a large medical bill, i doubt it...

He's not doing it for the dogs sake. He is doing it for the feeling of self gratification he gets from doing these sort of things.

• Like 2

I don't like all the stray/soi dogs either, several times they has tried to attack me when passing them on my scooter.

Some of the dogs are in horrifying condition, open wounds, limping (hit by a car/motorbike?), sad really.

In Denmark when some city/town have too many pigeons/doves they send licensed light rifle shooters out and deal with them.

Agreed..Add on help to elderly and disabled...

• Like 1

Keep up the good work, i use to do the same, but now have a huge family of my own(pets) so hardly any time for that

Explain to me how feeding desease ridden strays can be 'good work'?

He's merely adding to the already out of control stray problem here and throughout Thailand.

It'd be interesting to see if he still fed them if one turns and bit him and he ended up with a large medical bill, i doubt it...

He's not doing it for the dogs sake. He is doing it for the feeling of self gratification he gets from doing these sort of things.

Could be he just likes dogs more than people..now't wrong with that......awful if we were all the same

If he had his own piece of land with all these dogs fenced in and was doing as he does now then this would be very admirable HOWEVER he is not.

Although he may be getting self gratification he is also making it worse for the general population that has to deal with these scabby / festered K-9's.

Several posts removed and the poster warned for continually posting in a profane manner.

3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane.

I see. We're setting needy children vs needy dogs because we can help only one of them. We must make a choice.

I can't see any good in half wild dogs roaming about, that why I don't feed them.

Just see below, how sad.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/636314-boy-mauled-by-stray-dogs-at-rayong-beach/

As far as I am concerned they should all be taken down or shipped to Vietnam where they at least serve a purpose.

At the risk of being told off again I'm going to agree with the above.

feral dogs roaming around freely in an urban enviroment ( like Pattaya ) cause problems

and poeple feeding them just prolongs the problem.

the dogs should be humanely euthanized but instead they are left to suffer or cause suffering.

• 2 months later...

In my hometown in Europe they made feeding pidgeons illagal. (Thinking other cities also??)

Because feeding them is NOT the solution, they only breed more and in the end MORE pidgeons suffer, not LESS.

Same for Soi dogs. You think we should tell that to the Thais?? biggrin.pngtongue.pngthumbsup.gif

I came across a pack of about 20 at twilight on Pratanak hill a few weeks ago, I hear a farang feeds them and Im sure glad or they would eaten me

For your information, Pattaya City Hall ,gives him dog food, also a certificate of appreciation, he also cleans the beach, removing dangers from children, wildlife, waterways...

Keep in mind, until the dogs are spayed, or removed, they are a hell of a lot safer to be around, watered and fed, opposed to thirsty and hungry...

for being a weirdo is a good enough reason - lol

If you want to call, doing Tam Boon being a weirdo, I wonder who really has the problem...

Keep in mind, this is Thailand, not your homeland...

They are a pain the arse. When my Doberman was a puppy 6 of them surrounded her and they scared the life out of her. It took me weeks to get her confidence up to go for a walk again. Being fully grown up now she ain't scared of them now, the shoes on the other foot and they keep their distance from her. Saying that so do most people LOL

Whenever I happened to be in Pattaya with my dog I always made sure to do "skate walks". Basically its where I walk my dog while riding my skateboard. I've trained my dog to do loose leash walking so he doesnt tow me and only travels at the same speed I do. This comes in handy on soi dogs since the skateboard doubles as a good whacking device (I've popped a skateboard into more than a few soi dogs' face when it was nearing in for a bite). Good thing my dog ignores soi dogs though, because luckily for them I doubt they'd stand up well to a 40 kg APBT, but still I dont need my dog to be aggressive at all.

They are no way a problem if handled correctly. I look after quite a few soi dogs,spaying etc,keep the numbers down

Probably one of my most heartbreaking tasks yesterday was one soi mutt a real pearl of a dog,gentle ,intelligent so lovings was taking her to the vet to be put down,her back had been broken. The vet initially refusing,but promising another 7 days she will do it. To me that's 7 days of agony watching her slowly die. Pathetic,but that's Thailand

• 2 weeks later...

They are no way a problem if handled correctly. I look after quite a few soi dogs,spaying etc,keep the numbers down

Probably one of my most heartbreaking tasks yesterday was one soi mutt a real pearl of a dog,gentle ,intelligent so lovings was taking her to the vet to be put down,her back had been broken. The vet initially refusing,but promising another 7 days she will do it. To me that's 7 days of agony watching her slowly die. Pathetic,but that's Thailand

These people dont realise that living in torture is worse than instant death.

These people dont realise that living in torture is worse than instant death.

One of the best soi dogs I have ever come across,would have been the most faithful and loyal dog anyone could own, I look after too many.

Two and a half thousand baht to put to sleep,did it three days later with another vet,she was in agony and I guess was thankful when the end came,just cupped her head in my hand,she looked straight at me and it was quickly over. Glad for my own sake I shortened the wait. One hell of a good dog

its sometimes the owned dogs as well sad.png

this man goes to feed the fish cabbage leaves every afternoon in chiang mai

last week he and his dog were trying to cross the road when for no reason his dog went for the foot / ankle of a young thai girl of about 15 on the back of a bike that stopped just past the dog

i was stopped on the right of them with one foot down and the girl started screaming and shaking her leg but it wouldnt let go and it was thrashing about tearing at her foot

it eventualy let go when the man bike rider got off and started kicking at it

and she ran behind my bike to get away from it with blood pouring out and bits of skin hanging off

by the look of it the dog had got its teeth in both sides of her ankle bone and torn a lump of skin about two inches round off and her ankle bone was showing through

some thais appeared from ? and helped her to the grass verge and as soon as she was safe i left

where was the man who couldnt have been more than 20 feet away from all this mayhem / agony his dog had caused ?

nowhere to be seen sad.png

dave2

ps ... this ginger / yellow and white dog was the attacker sad.png

post-42592-0-68584600-1375183344_thumb.j

post-42592-0-51977200-1375183476_thumb.j