Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

I've just seen on BBC News that Rodgers will be signing Fabio Borini before the end of the week.He knows him well because,when Rodgers was at Chelsea working in the youth set up,Borini was a junior there.He then took him on loan at Swansea where he scored six goals.He was a prolific scorer in the Chelsea reserves but only got into the first team squad a few times because he was behind Drogba,Kalou and Sturridge in the pecking order.

I think this lad is very good.I was annoyed when Chelsea didn't give him a fair crack of the whip and got rid of him.Rodgers got hold of Scott Sinclair and turned him around and I can see him doing the same with Borini.

Unproven at this level. A decent prospect though I agree.

Seems a good alternative to the Gylfi guy ;)

Ramirez close to signing from a number of sources now.

Reports heating up we are also in for Roma striker Fabio Borini.

Still learning his trade but the goals I have seen shows hes a good finisher at all levels so far. He comes to life in the box but he's a bit slight of build but makes up for it with very good movement of the ball. Just hoping he's used as and when and little pressure on him for the first season and not are main striker... I am not convinced Carroll will be here!

Dempsey might be the one that makes the most to come in at this time! Never thought I would say that...

Still hoping on getting this Ramirez who can play wide or behind the striker/AM

Edited by Devil

Seems a good alternative to the Gylfi guy wink.png

Still learning his trade but the goals I have seen shows hes a good finisher at all levels so far. He comes to life in the box but he's a bit slight of build but makes up for it with very good movement of the ball. Just hoping he's used as and when and little pressure on him for the first season and not are main striker... I am not convinced Carroll will be here!

Dempsey might be the one that makes the most to come in at this time! Never thought I would say that...

I think Dempsey's a good player too but do you really want to be buying a 29 year old? He'll have no sell on either.

Seems a good alternative to the Gylfi guy wink.png

I think Dempsey's a good player too but do you really want to be buying a 29 year old? He'll have no sell on either.

Depends on the price for one and also what other options are there that are realistic and can hit the ground running ( Sturridge?) We cant afford to be goal shy again waiting for new players to bed in.

Liverpool’s recent transfer history has been littered with the word "potential"

Frankly i am sick of hearing the word...or phrases that mean the same thing.

Andy Carroll, Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing were signed, not for what they'd done, but for what they might do, once they donned the red shirt. They didnt do it. That, possibly was the main factor in the sacking of both Comolli, and Kenny Dalglish.

We need proven players, not those "with potential" yet again, surely???

Penkoprod

Liverpool’s recent transfer history has been littered with the word "potential"

Frankly i am sick of hearing the word...or phrases that mean the same thing.

Andy Carroll, Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing were signed, not for what they'd done, but for what they might do, once they donned the red shirt. They didnt do it. That, possibly was the main factor in the sacking of both Comolli, and Kenny Dalglish.

We need proven players, not those "with potential" yet again, surely???

Penkoprod

Downing had been around long enough to be past the "potential" catagory as had Adam really although i agree with your point.

Also agree with Dev on the basis that Dempsey in the right package would be good as he's a proven effective player that will hit the ground running (as long as he doesn't look at it as his last big payday) and be reliable whilst bedding in the "potentials.

Downing had been around long enough to be past the "potential" catagory as had Adam really although i agree with your point.

Also agree with Dev on the basis that Dempsey in the right package would be good as he's a proven effective player that will hit the ground running (as long as he doesn't look at it as his last big payday) and be reliable whilst bedding in the "potentials.

When i said potential, i wasnt referring to just age, or even how long some of those mentioned had been there, or thereabouts

More of what those players could "potentially" do for the team, once they pulled on the shirt for us.

The fact is that they haven't as yet to any great level.

BUT, having said that, it seems more prudent to presevere with them, and get a bit of continuity and consistancy going around the place, instead of this chopping and changing that invariably happens with new owners/managers

This buying for the future is all well and good if the present is on a sound footing

Though it hurts me to say it, LFC's present is anything BUT sound, and wont be until we have both consistancy and, more importantly, continuity.

Penkoprod

I dont actually know if we are in for Clint Dempsey or not - I certainly havent seen one reputable source linking him to the club. I do quite like him though for a number of reasons and even at 29 if he could be picked up at the right price he would make a useful replacement for Kuyt.

1) In theory, with his MLS background, he has quite low mileage on him for his age. He has only played 309 club games at the age of 29 and hasnt exactly worn out his body (Gerrard by contrast had played 480 games by 29.)

2) After 3 years at the age of 32 he would have a ready buyer with the MLS. He is, afterall, probably the most instantly recognizable US footballer (I guess).

• Like 1

What a shame, beginning of the end for mr carroll? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18778825 TBH doesn't surprise me, Rodgers seems 2 like a clever footballing centre forward with a good touch and one thing andy carroll isnt, atm is a good footballing centre forward , target man, yes and good 4 getting on the end x's defo . Saying shame, if the Milan rumour has legs, I saw mark Hately pre, and during for England, his spell in Italy and ive got to say it helped turn him into arguably, one of the most complete English c/fs ive seen. perhaps that's why tony hateley, has said what he said recently. So u never know.

What a shame, beginning of the end for mr carroll? http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18778825 TBH doesn't surprise me, Rodgers seems 2 like a clever footballing centre forward with a good touch and one thing andy carroll isnt, atm is a good footballing centre forward , target man, yes and good 4 getting on the end x's defo . Saying shame, if the Milan rumour has legs, I saw mark Hately pre, and during for England, his spell in Italy and ive got to say it helped turn him into arguably, one of the most complete English c/fs ive seen. perhaps that's why tony hateley, has said what he said recently. So u never know.

This is going to get messy, if true !!!! Doesnt inspire confidence in the player, does it??

I had a feeling this was going to happen, given that players like Carroll don't fit Rodgers' vision of how the team should play.

For my part i feel this "tika taka football" or whatever its called <deleted>, is just that........<deleted>. Will never work in the Prem

Surely he needs to work with what he's been left with, and try to get the best out of them BEFORE any introduction of wholesale and radical changes to both playing staff and methods.

For too long, now there's been a revolving door at the club. Time for it to stop, perhaps?

Penkoprod

Well, there's lots of speculation....no way will you get £35m for Carroll.....so what is his market value do you think?

They are talking about loans. Dressed up as being good for the players' development and beneficial for the club. We all know that in reality they are invcariably a way of deferring horrible losses until the perps have long departed!

Not edited in fact - changed my mind!

Edited by SantiSuk

What a shame, beginning of the end for mr carroll? http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18778825 TBH doesn't surprise me, Rodgers seems 2 like a clever footballing centre forward with a good touch and one thing andy carroll isnt, atm is a good footballing centre forward , target man, yes and good 4 getting on the end x's defo . Saying shame, if the Milan rumour has legs, I saw mark Hately pre, and during for England, his spell in Italy and ive got to say it helped turn him into arguably, one of the most complete English c/fs ive seen. perhaps that's why tony hateley, has said what he said recently. So u never know.

For my part i feel this "tika taka football" or whatever its called <deleted>, is just that........<deleted>. Will never work in the Prem

Penkoprod

Worked quite well for City last year!!!

Scored some nice goals!!

Tika taka and Andy Carroll dont think works thoughgiggle.gif

• Like 1

Well, there's lots of speculation....no way will you get £35m for Carroll.....so what is his market value do you think?

They are talking about loans. Dressed up as being good for the players' development and beneficial for the club. We all know that in reality they are invcariably a way of deferring horrible losses until the perps have long departed!

Not edited in fact - changed my mind!

Yes its funny isn't it....and now you have spoiled Dev's breakfast you horrible man. biggrin.png

Carroll...you overspent by about 30m

Strange....... i didn't understand why stevie didn't comment on the donkeys price !!!!

ok, slowly for the thick lads at the back. because the discussion was about last summer's liverpool signings. of which andy carroll was not one. last summer's were downing, adam and henderson.

carmine, stewart downing = senior experienced player, england international with over 30 caps. making the 19m we paid about market rate. or did man united hugely overpay for ashley young as well? whether you rate him or not, whether he had a crap season last term or not (he did), we paid about the going rate at the time.

there's not a lot of point engaging with you lads on this thread if you're going to keep the thickiness up here you know. try and keep up eh? ;)

• Like 1

if we tried to sell him this summer i wouldn't expect us to get more than about 15m.

also don't think rodgers' statement about carroll yesterday was anything other than a 'you'll have to fight for your place like anybody else' line really. he's not going to bin a decent player for no reason, the board won't sanction loaning out a 35m signing and carroll shouldn't go into the new season assuming he's a guaranteed starter because of one header against sweden.

Carroll...you overspent by about 30m

Strange....... i didn't understand why stevie didn't comment on the donkeys price !!!!

ok, slowly for the thick lads at the back. because the discussion was about last summer's liverpool signings. of which andy carroll was not one. last summer's were downing, adam and henderson.

carmine, stewart downing = senior experienced player, england international with over 30 caps. making the 19m we paid about market rate. or did man united hugely overpay for ashley young as well? whether you rate him or not, whether he had a crap season last term or not (he did), we paid about the going rate at the time.

there's not a lot of point engaging with you lads on this thread if you're going to keep the thickiness up here you know. try and keep up eh? wink.png

no need now, !!!

Edited by alfieconn

Sorry stevie, i thought it was a general discussion on how much Liverpool have over paid on their recent signings, the fact that donkey <deleted> was signed previous to last summer surely doesn't mean that you dont have an opinion on how much he is worth now !

see above alfie. but there's no point talking about carroll's fee without factoring in what we got from chelsea for torres. if we hadn't received 50m from chelsea then we wouldn't have given newcastle 35m. they're inextricably linked. yes, we overpaid for carroll but we could afford to and had to frankly thanks to torres leaving us over a barrel on the last day of the transfer window.

• Like 1

if we tried to sell him this summer i wouldn't expect us to get more than about 15m.

also don't think rodgers' statement about carroll yesterday was anything other than a 'you'll have to fight for your place like anybody else' line really. he's not going to bin a decent player for no reason, the board won't sanction loaning out a 35m signing and carroll shouldn't go into the new season assuming he's a guaranteed starter because of one header against sweden.

To be fair to the lad he showed some improvement towards the end of the season as well. I make you right on the money there Stevie in every sense.

• Like 1

Joe Allen now strongly linked to join...I thought that would of been BR first signing btw to make the transition to implement BR Tika Taka so called style

Shelvey has extended his contract btw - but I can see him going out on loan again.

Borini - Roma have confirmed interest and talks with LFC - surely close to being done.

Ramirez - rumours have gone very quite since the aEcho did a recent article stating LFC have denied any contact with the player ( but he was a Comolli/Kenny target)

BR has said in a couple of interviews the next signing will really excite a lot of Liverpool fans - "they will love him".. The above 2 would be good signings but Excite! Surely there is one big name signing then?

Andy Carroll - BR was very quick and repeated praise for the likes of Gerrard, Suarez, Skrtel and Aggger, Lucas but I thought given that so far BR has been very open on players etc he sounded very cold on Carroll in my opinion ( thats how it seemed anyway) certainly never said anything to suggest he was part of the long term plans in the way he did for the players I mentioned.

If West Ham have any ambition of staying up and need to a player to suit Big Sams Style then Carroll is just the man!

I see on sky Borine's 'thinking' bout the move, not the greatest of signs, u want players to be jumping through hoops to sign, not hesitating And I could be wrong but from what ive seen of Joe Allen, i would say that given a bit more discipline,and obviously the team structure, charlie adam could do as good, if not better, a job as allen , but thats me. No paper talk on it but I Still think that Sinclair will be heading your way.

To be fair to the lad he showed some improvement towards the end of the season as well. I make you right on the money there Stevie in every sense.

I ain't rocket science mate, Carroll was <deleted> all season bar the last two or three games! A 60% loss on what was paid all day long.

I reckon Sigurdsson would have scored more from midfield......................hold on a minute, he did.....7 in 19 if i'm right! calm down calm down whistling.gifbiggrin.png

• Like 1

I see on sky Borine's 'thinking' bout the move, not the greatest of signs, u want players to be jumping through hoops to sign, not hesitating And I could be wrong but from what ive seen of Joe Allen, i would say that given a bit more discipline,and obviously the team structure, charlie adam could do as good, if not better, a job as allen , but thats me. No paper talk on it but I Still think that Sinclair will be heading your way.

charlie adam's crap.

Well, there's lots of speculation....no way will you get 35m for Carroll.....so what is his market value do you think?

I ain't rocket science mate, Carroll was <deleted> all season bar the last two or three games! A 60% loss on what was paid all day long.

I reckon Sigurdsson would have scored more from midfield......................hold on a minute, he did.....7 in 19 if i'm right! calm down calm down whistling.gifbiggrin.png

I thought the 15m valuation about right...but Sunderland would probably cheek it at 12m. :D

Tons of rumors flying about.

Borinin seems certain. Ramirez had seemed certain and now appears just a rumor. I hope Bellamy is a rumor, would love for him to stay, and I thought he would rather stay. Carroll rumors are interesting but they will continue at least until he comes back from holiday and actually sits down to chat with the manager, which I think he will and nothing would happen before then.

Can be annoying at times as I think so many rumors are made up by agents to give their players a higher profile but it is what it is...

One change I wouldn't mind is Allen for Adam.

in a heartbeat.

rumours gathering pace about carroll though, which is weird. be mad if we're about to take a 15m loss on him and madder still if we loan him out. it's possible that rodgers simply doesn't fancy him though.

in a heartbeat.

rumours gathering pace about carroll though, which is weird. be mad if we're about to take a 15m loss on him and madder still if we loan him out. it's possible that rodgers simply doesn't fancy him though.

I've been saying these for a while now I cant see Carroll fitting BR plans...but lets see.

BR has talked the talk so far but I am really waiting to see how patient and determined he is to impose his system if results don't go our way early on, the pressure will be massive! Carrol who has found form is exactly who you need if you need a plan B in games - we still needed an extra striker anyway so if Carroll goes we need x2 to come in!

Yep I can see Allen coming in if BR has his way ( seems a nobrainer for me) if the clubs can agree terms- which might be the issue.

The most interesting one for me is Aqualani who you imagined would never be coming back but surely this is his best chance if he has any desires of making a career now. His technical ability, vision and passing is exactly made for Tika Taka play.I kept an eye on him and watched a few games of Serie A and he always looked good for Milan and they have a quality midfield already.

Bellamy always said he came back literally because of Kenny, which gives us another problem to replace him if he goes, he was a great buy for his ability, experience and price.

Gerrard will not play every game, Lucas will take time and then we have the Europa - so is Allen enough? No chance!

How well did this "Tika Taka play" work for Swansea?

Where did this on average 55% per game posession get them?

44 goals and 11th place in the league is where. Not exactly setting the world on fire, is it?

Surely the secret is to get some consistancy and cohesion with the players you have, instead of change this and change that all the time. This has been the mantra, almost since about 2004, and for various reasons. In which time we've fallen further and further behind, and even been overtaken by the likes of Spurs, Newcastle...Everton, even. We finished level on points with Fulham <deleted>.

And now its "All change, please" yet again.

Wouldnt it be better to adapt a system around the players that you have, instead of trying to adapt players around a system, and if some players dont look like they will "fit in to" the system being inposed, then out they go and new ones brought in to replace?

Too much change over too long a period has been the problem at the club. NOT the style of play, IMO

Penkoprod