Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Actually I thought J.Henry's comments about the lack of depth in the existing wage bill were more interesting. It seems like getting rid of players will be just as much a challenge as buying new ones.

Hands up Those who will take Cole who is in the first year of a four year 90k a week contract? 100m a year for Liverpool's squad is piss poor but pretty difficult to unwind quickly.

And i like J.Henry's quote....

"Success is winning championships. It is nothing less than that. And when you win a championship – and we will – success isn't measured or accomplished by winning once."

Words, of course, come cheap. Fulfilling them will not.

Actually I thought J.Henry's comments about the lack of depth in the existing wage bill were more interesting. It seems like getting rid of players will be just as much a challenge as buying new ones.

Hands up Those who will take Cole who is in the first year of a four year 90k a week contract? 100m a year for Liverpool's squad is piss poor but pretty difficult to unwind quickly.

"Success is winning championships. It is nothing less than that. And when you win a championship – and we will – success isn't measured or accomplished by winning once."

Yep, well whatever. If you're all happy i'm happy. Anyway, more importantly whens singher getting his book?

Ah yes think positive be positive talk positive blah blah....and you fall for this guff?

I'm not in the least bit surprised. :D

I suspect he is a man of principles.

Those same principles that saw him jetting off to Paris for 'business meetings' eh?

Hung on to his wife by a shoelace...he'll not leave until the fans kick him out. Mind you that would involve singing etc cherchez les femmes <deleted>.

Scottish Presby upbringing for you was it Smokie? No wonder you stay away form the depravity on this warm side of the planet.:whistling:

He admittedly knows ZERO about Soccer though so how he can stay that & expect to be taken seriously, is something i don't understand personally.

However, by saying what he said, some would argue that is blatantly obvious anyway..

He admittedly knows ZERO about Soccer though so how he can stay that & expect to be taken seriously, is something i don't understand personally.

However, by saying what he said, some would argue that is blatantly obvious anyway..

I think the assumption that 'knowledge' of soccer is an essential prerequisite for an owner to win the premiership is a very poor one aka...Mansour, Abromavich, Glaziers.

J

I think the assumption that 'knowledge' of soccer is an essential prerequisite for an owner to win the premiership is a very poor one aka...Mansour, Abromavich, Glaziers.

And that is where you are wrong. You don't have to be English to be knowledgeable about the Prem. I don't know about the Glaziers but Mansour and Abramavich are very knowledgeable about football. I live in Saudi and believe me, most of my Saudi mates who are into football are extremely knowledgeable, not only about the premiership but the Spanish, Italian and German leagues.

Possibly, but one would assume that given the state of LFC currently, saying that LFC WILL win a Championship is a tad far fetched & pretty uunrealistic given the circumstances..

However he does have the Footballing knowledge to point out soemthing that a few of us on here dared to say about a Year or so back & with regards to the fat Spanish Waiter you previously had as a Manager, that got verociously denied by the dissapearing duo from that used to be so active on this Thread ..:D

“The worst surprise was the lack of depth,” Henry said. “Our biggest concern was this issue - and it was a bigger

issue than we feared.

“There was a huge, multi-year payroll for a squad with very little quality in depth.”

And that is where you are wrong. You don't have to be English to be knowledgeable about the Prem. I don't know about the Glaziers but Mansour and Abramavich are very knowledgeable about football. I live in Saudi and believe me, most of my Saudi mates who are into football are extremely knowledgeable, not only about the premiership but the Spanish, Italian and German leagues.

Does that actually make sense to you?

Does that actually make sense to you?

It does when you put it into the context of your original post. You stated that Mansour and Abramavich know nothing about football. I was merely pointing out that they do and just because they are not English doesn't mean they know nothing about English football. I was using my Saudi friends as an example of this knowledge. If that was hard for you to understand, I suggest you are not as smart as you would like to think you are. ;)

Possibly, but one would assume that given the state of LFC currently, saying that LFC WILL win a Championship is a tad far fetched & pretty uunrealistic given the circumstances..

Absolutely...

If you take the 'state of LFC currently'.... but you have to admit he knows we are not good enough. (And you can blame anyone you like but the reality was with crap owners, a manager could get nowhere.)

Look, most supporters are realistic. Liverpool are currently in a large 'void' between 5th and 7th - known as 6th. Spurs who are 5th are probably better than that because their season has been diluted by CL (and their strikers have all decided to be crap at once.)

There is absolutely no denying that unless we radically improve the squad, we wont get 5th let alone a CL place. You guys worry about Carroll, he is the last of our worries. Unless our owners come through with big spending we wont progress with the current team. Even if they do, the top 5 are not going to stand still in the summer. Spurs, without CL, and a couple of good strikers would be very difficult to beat.

So yes...if he is looking at the current team his comments are not just far-fetched but they are delusional. Personally my view of the owners is more along the lines that 'if they aim for the sky they will hit the ceiling' which means they will get us CL football....And from there anything is possible.

However he does have the Footballing knowledge to point out soemthing that a few of us on here dared to say about a Year or so back & with regards to the fat Spanish Waiter you previously had as a Manager, that got verociously denied by the dissapearing duo from that used to be so active on this Thread ..:D

“The worst surprise was the lack of depth,” Henry said. “Our biggest concern was this issue - and it was a bigger

issue than we feared.

“There was a huge, multi-year payroll for a squad with very little quality in depth.”

Here Singh you simply 'overlap' footballing knowledge with 'analytical knowledge'.

You state based on footballing knowledge that the team didnt have depth etc.. But really 'footballing knowledge' encompasses 'statistical knowledge' to a degree.

What I mean by that is that...

You need absolutely no knowledge of football whatsoever, to conclude that given the size of LFC's wage bill, the depth in the squad is pitiful. The statistics speak for themselves. That is why 'Henry' makes such comments - not because of his 'football knowledge' but because he is driven by the facts.

"The worst surprise was the lack of depth," Henry said. "Our biggest concern was this issue - and it was a bigger

issue than we feared.

"There was a huge, multi-year payroll for a squad with very little quality in depth."

Here Singh you simply 'overlap' footballing knowledge with 'analytical knowledge'.

You state based on footballing knowledge that the team didnt have depth etc.. But really 'footballing knowledge' encompasses 'statistical knowledge' to a degree.

What I mean by that is that...

You need absolutely no knowledge of football whatsoever, to conclude that given the size of LFC's wage bill, the depth in the squad is pitiful. The statistics speak for themselves. That is why 'Henry' makes such comments - not because of his 'football knowledge' but because he is driven by the facts.

You would be right if he hadn't used the word " quality " when he said " There was a huge, multi-year payroll for a squad with very little quality in depth.”.

But to be aware of the quality of the depth of the Squad you need knowledge of Football, not necessarily statistics..;)

And before you guys start going on about 'how I dont know football' and 'football knowledge'. Just wake up and smell the roses.

The top 6 positions are held by the top 6 clubs who pay the most wages. It is as simple as that. You can talk about teams not 'gelling' or about formations, youth programs whatever the hell you like but it is not reality.

It is particularly sad when people who actually have knowledge of the game claim Mansour and Abromavich as 'knowledgable owners' to support their case. In case you hadnt noticed they simply had shed loads of money. If you wish to claim them as 'knowledgable' I just hope you realize how far you have sunk the bar.

And before you guys start going on about 'how I dont know football' and 'football knowledge'. Just wake up and smell the roses.

The top 6 positions are held by the top 6 clubs who pay the most wages. It is as simple as that. You can talk about teams not 'gelling' or about formations, youth programs whatever the hell you like but it is not reality.

It is particularly sad when people who actually have knowledge of the game claim Mansour and Abromavich as 'knowledgable owners' to support their case. In case you hadnt noticed they simply had shed loads of money. If you wish to claim them as 'knowledgable' I just hope you realize how far you have sunk the bar.

No disrespect but i personally never said that Mansour or Abramavich have knowledge of the Game as i have no idea if they have or haven't, the only reason i know your Fella hasn't is because he said it previously..

& i wouldn't for a moment say you didn't know Football because i have seen in some of your Posts that you do & also, i'm actually enjoying your Posts lately as they are very different & well thought out even if i don't necessarily agree with them all the time, which is a welcome change from the tripe i normally read, in the T*ttingham Thread for example..:D

Edited by MSingh

You would be right if he hadn't used the word " quality " when he said " There was a huge, multi-year payroll for a squad with very little quality in depth.”.

But to be aware of the quality of the depth of the Squad you need knowledge of Football, not necessarily statistics..;)

To be honest a team that has beaten both Chelsea and MAnU over the last two months would be deemed as having some 'quality'. No knowledge required.

You really must see the world as Black and White with no shades of Grey whatsoever, Abrak. Of course having a knowledgeable owner isn't the only ingredient for success, no one with any sense would claim this but it is a worthy attribute. Just the same as having a top class manager isn't on it's own, going to gain success. You need but not limited to, a combination of money (in whatever way it is generated), a team of players at the top of their game, a manager who can manage them and their temperaments and spend the money he has at his disposal, wisely. A knowledgeable Chairman would ensure the money spent is indeed spent wisely. Caveat, every team in the world has bought a Duck Egg at one time or another, so this has nothing to do with having a knowledgeable owner or not.

I wasn't supporting any case, I was just stating that they (Mansour and Abram) are knowledgeable about football. If you read any of their interviews you would also conclude this.

You would be right if he hadn't used the word " quality " when he said " There was a huge, multi-year payroll for a squad with very little quality in depth.".

To be honest a team that has beaten both Chelsea and MAnU over the last two months would be deemed as having some 'quality'. No knowledge required.

Abrak, if we're now going to turn it into an argument with reards to good >> bad results & LFC this Season, i'm gonna win as i could turn round to you, off the top of my head & say that, to be honest, a Team that has drawn 0-0 at Home to Wigan & has lost 2-1 & 3-1 at WBA & West Ham respectively, wouldn't be deemed to have that much quality....

You really must see the world as Black and White with no shades of Grey whatsoever, Abrak.

Yes when I come to 'knowledge' I do.

My 10 year old kid can name the 25 squad for LFC and will tell you the result of every match in this season if you ask her. This does not make her 'knowledgable'.

I go out to restaurants 6 nights a week out of 7 but this does not mean I know restaurants. In fact if I decided to buy a restaurant based on my knowledge I think I would be pretty stupid.

'Knowledge' is about knowing things that others dont in a business sense. I for instance have followed LFC for 30 years but I do not claim to have any knowledge that KD might not have in terms of choosing the sides or the tactics. I would go further and say that a 'little bit of knowledge' is actually detrimental to decision making and should be discarded.

What exactly is that 'Abromavich' or 'Mansour' knows that isnt already known by the club already? If the answer is 'something' my argument would be that you need a new management team.

A little bit of knowledge about something is probably far worse than absolutely no knowledge at all. So I am very 'black and white' either you have knowledge that you 'know' better than other people or essentially you have no knowledge at all.

And I am the first to admit that LFC's historic record of 18 premierships is about as relevant as the price of eggs.

You really must see the world as Black and White with no shades of Grey whatsoever, Abrak. Of course having a knowledgeable owner isn't the only ingredient for success, no one with any sense would claim this but it is a worthy attribute. Just the same as having a top class manager isn't on it's own, going to gain success. You need but not limited to, a combination of money (in whatever way it is generated), a team of players at the top of their game, a manager who can manage them and their temperaments and spend the money he has at his disposal, wisely. A knowledgeable Chairman would ensure the money spent is indeed spent wisely. Caveat, every team in the world has bought a Duck Egg at one time or another, so this has nothing to do with having a knowledgeable owner or not.

I wasn't supporting any case, I was just stating that they (Mansour and Abram) are knowledgeable about football. If you read any of their interviews you would also conclude this.

i don't think owners particularly need to know anything about the game to be 'successful' - they just need to be well-advised and make the right appointments in key roles, i.e. CEO/MD, team manager, director of football, assistant manager etc. as bill shankly said, the chairman is just there to sign the cheques. owners with egos like abramovich seems to have are too prone to interfering and upsetting the balance of the club as he's shown with his signings of previously shevchenko and latterly, it seems, torres.

most important figure at any club for me remains the manager.

Abrak, if we're now going to turn it into an argument with reards to good >> bad results & LFC this Season, i'm gonna win as i could turn round to you, off the top of my head & say that, to be honest, a Team that has drawn 0-0 at Home to Wigan & has lost 2-1 & 3-1 at WBA & West Ham respectively, wouldn't be deemed to have that much quality....

I 100% agree with you there Singh for the first time. I 'personally' believe that LFC lack both 'quality' and 'depth'. I believe that the performance against the bottom 6 teams in terms of 'quality' is far more important than the performance of the top '5' teams. To me there was a degree of luck that meant beating Chelsea on 2 occasions where they failed to 'turn up'.

The reason that lfc's performance against the bottom six is significant is because you only need to look at the goal difference. Both Chelsea and Arsenal have at least a +2 goal difference against these teams both home and away. You clearly dont drop many points against that. To the best of my knowledge the top 4 have dropped less points over the whole season than KD has dropped against them during his first 11 games (namely 8).

I think that Henry only refered to 'depth'on the basis of the Chelsea/ManU performances which implied 'quality'. I do not hold with the theory 'that Wigan/WestHam are 'actually' pretty good' or else they wouldnt be at the bottom of the league.

LeBron James takes stake in Liverpool FC

Miami Heat basketball star LeBron James has become a part-owner of Liverpool Football Club.

MaimiHeatLebronJame_160.jpg

James, one of the sport’s biggest names, has acquired a minority stake in the Premier League team after signing a sponsorship deal with its parent company Fenway Sports Group (FSG).

FSG has partnered with James’s sports marketing firm LRMR Branding & Marketing Group to secure new sponsorship deals for the athlete, who is already said to earn about $16m (£10m) a year from Miami Heat. No financial details were disclosed.

END

- Wow

Initial reaction by some has been what the <deleted>...Others stating this could pay massive dividends in years to come! interesting indeed.

Any thoughts guys?

& there was all of us thinking that the days of the mighty Liverpool FC being Whored out by Americans were over, seems we were wrong..

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6301581

ah just saw your post after mine! you do have to wade through a lot of your ramblings to get to any points :D

& you would have had to have gone to Page 2 to find the Thread if it wasn't for me Dev what with your & Stevie's abscence, look on the brightside...:D